Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Paracetamol posted:

Lmao what a dunce. Only $30k in 2.5 years while living at home and on $90k a year?

yeah, I saved more than that on less than that while paying all the running expenses of me and my partner at the time who was studying. Maybe old mate should cut back on the take-out smashed avocado.

I guess I was not living in Sydney and never have.. is it that expensive to live there? I just thought housing was the killer there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

Cheeky nose beers
probably tbh

and avo toast every day

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

I wasn't joking about government by jury earlier. It of course has downsides like any other system, but I think it's actually more resistant to outside forces than our current system and, more importantly, gets rid of career politicians and partisan politics. It has the added benefit of making the average citizen more engaged in the political process and apply more critical reasoning to how the country is run.

EDIT: Also lol that an Australian public sector magazine is called "the Mandarin" wtf.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Turks posted:

EDIT: Also lol that an Australian public sector magazine is called "the Mandarin" wtf.
A member of the SES who hasn't quite made it is often called a cumquat. They want to be a mandarin and the're bitter about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_(bureaucrat)

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

So is Ita Buttrose being the new head of the ABC hosed or turbo-hosed? Or good? I know nothing about her other than she’s an old rear end boomer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dude McAwesome posted:

So is Ita Buttrose being the new head of the ABC hosed or turbo-hosed? Or good? I know nothing about her other than she’s an old rear end boomer.

She's an old rich lady that will flap her hands at silliness like reporting on anything that looks like PC young people rubbish

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Turks posted:

I wasn't joking about government by jury earlier. It of course has downsides like any other system, but I think it's actually more resistant to outside forces than our current system and, more importantly, gets rid of career politicians and partisan politics. It has the added benefit of making the average citizen more engaged in the political process and apply more critical reasoning to how the country is run.

FWIW I've always thought this is a really good idea too. I'd be interested to hear what people think the main downsides are (I didn't get a chance to read that article yet).

Tgent fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 28, 2019

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

JBP posted:

She's an old rich lady that will flap her hands at silliness like reporting on anything that looks like PC young people rubbish

uuuuuughhhhhhhh kill all olds

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

but she’s less likely to try and actively dismantle the abc like the ex-Fairfax and news people

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

She wasn't even a candidate for the job Morrison appointed her as another captains call. He claims to have known her personally for ages. He gave his friend a job

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 28, 2019

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Tgent posted:

FWIW I've always thought this is a really good idea too. I'd be interested to hear what people think the main downsides are (I didn't get a chance to read that article yet).
Depends on how they're used. To inform government decisions? Yeah, I could see there being a role there. To completely supplant and replace governments altogether? I honestly don't even know how to begin listing how stupid that is.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

How can they continually be appointing people to roles when they haven’t applied, been recruited or undergone a selection process?

It seems like every day in the last month there’s been appointments to various high paying jobs without any due process. AAT is what immediately springs to mind.

Are these sorts of things subject to redress or once they’re done, is that it?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I do believe Labor could overturn some of their appointments but never do because they hate the ABC too

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I do believe Labor could overturn some of their appointments but never do because they hate the ABC too

They are terrible cowards, this is true.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Whitlam posted:

Depends on how they're used. To inform government decisions? Yeah, I could see there being a role there. To completely supplant and replace governments altogether? I honestly don't even know how to begin listing how stupid that is.

In terms of voting on policy it has some big advantages. Because juries have more time, they can vote on issues one at a time instead of assembling them into bills with all sorts of unrelated poo poo tacked on. It eliminates backroom deals and effectively removes the politics from politics. It massively reduces corruption, as there are suddenly far more people you would have to try to bribe and a much greater chance that at least one of them would publicly call you out for even trying. Juries are also less pretentious and more likely to listen to the advice of experts. You also automatically get much better representation of the working class, and having to do literally anything next to a minority will help temper the more extreme bigoted positions of jurors.

Writing policy is a different matter, but even then I think we could probably come up with a better system than a bunch of law grads who think they know everything deciding what's best for the rest of us plebs.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also as far as I know most of these appointments are contractual so breaking the contract will carry an in-built penalty that'll just lead to cries of "LABAH WASTEEEEE, WE HAD A PERFECTLY GOOD APPOINTEE, CLASS WARFARE" etc

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The betoota advocate has been on fire lately

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The betoota advocate has been on fire lately

They've been given quite a lot of material to be fair.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Who put Bella in the witchy elm? Auspol edition

Also old mate was not earning a steady 90k. Your living expenses if you are living at mums with no dependents would be around 25k, and that's assuming you're running a car. Let's assume he spends like a deadshit, so 40k a year plus 20k tax and woopsy doodle he should have saved 75k + 2% interest that accumulated while the pot of gold grew

The answer is either a) expensive secret addiction or b) his income ain't what he's reporting.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 28, 2019

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmNSlF7lcaw

Does this say 'Jordan Peterson DESTROYS Q&A' for anyone else? On the official ABC channel? Am I reading that right? And the first 6 or seven subsequent uploads are all pandering to the same right wing nutters?

The national broadcaster scoring cheap clicks while being indistinguishable from a Ben Shapiro alt account

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Turks posted:

In terms of voting on policy it has some big advantages. Because juries have more time, they can vote on issues one at a time instead of assembling them into bills with all sorts of unrelated poo poo tacked on. It eliminates backroom deals and effectively removes the politics from politics. It massively reduces corruption, as there are suddenly far more people you would have to try to bribe and a much greater chance that at least one of them would publicly call you out for even trying. Juries are also less pretentious and more likely to listen to the advice of experts. You also automatically get much better representation of the working class, and having to do literally anything next to a minority will help temper the more extreme bigoted positions of jurors.

Writing policy is a different matter, but even then I think we could probably come up with a better system than a bunch of law grads who think they know everything deciding what's best for the rest of us plebs.

To clarify, are you arguing we should replace governments with juries, or just have them vote on (some? All?) policies?

Phone posting so ceebs effortposting but in short, I think most of the purported benefits are questionable and hypothetical at the best. Show me actual, quantifiable, objective data that supports those points (e.g. "less pretentious and willing to listen to experts") and I'm willing to change my mind, but from my looking into the topic (studied the idea for half a semester at uni, so not claiming to be an expert, but I am somewhat familiar with the proposal), I don't think they do achieve all that.

I think a better, and more easily implemented reformation (in the short term, at least - I'm not arguing against reform, I just don't think the juries are a great way of going about it) is to abolish the rectangular ballot paper and replace it with a circle, with candidates being placed in wedges (think like a pizza). Boom, you've just effectively removed the donkey vote. Even just that could have a major impact on elections.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hiddenmovement posted:

Does this say 'Jordan Peterson DESTROYS Q&A' for anyone else? On the official ABC channel? Am I reading that right? And the first 6 or seven subsequent uploads are all pandering to the same right wing nutters?

The national broadcaster scoring cheap clicks while being indistinguishable from a Ben Shapiro alt account

wtf

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

welp, guess the abc is full of right wing chuds now.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Whitlam posted:

To clarify, are you arguing we should replace governments with juries, or just have them vote on (some? All?) policies?

Obviously I'm not arguing we should replace, say, the ATO with juries, but I am advocating for juries voting on policy instead of politicians.

Whitlam posted:

Show me actual, quantifiable, objective data that supports those points (e.g. "less pretentious and willing to listen to experts") and I'm willing to change my mind, but from my looking into the topic (studied the idea for half a semester at uni, so not claiming to be an expert, but I am somewhat familiar with the proposal), I don't think they do achieve all that.

I don't think there is all that much data, and a lot of the benefits I think we would see rely at least partially on jury voting being part of the public consciousness. Obviously I'm totally on board for us trying it out on a larger scale, and if it's shown to be generally ineffective then we can give up on it. In any case I think it's better to at least try things than continue along as we are.

Whitlam posted:

I think a better, and more easily implemented reformation (in the short term, at least - I'm not arguing against reform, I just don't think the juries are a great way of going about it) is to abolish the rectangular ballot paper and replace it with a circle, with candidates being placed in wedges (think like a pizza). Boom, you've just effectively removed the donkey vote. Even just that could have a major impact on elections.

I think this is a good idea just for how little effort it would require, but I'm dubious that donkey voting causes significant issues, especially given a lot of the problems we have also exist in countries without compulsory voting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

We should just elect one person and let them run it then their children so we don't have to ruin our own lives thinking about this boring poo poo every day

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

hiddenmovement posted:

drat, I didn't expect the ABC to go so low to use clickbait titles.

What's next, scantily clad women in the thumbnail?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

hiddenmovement posted:

love too see the national broadcaster shilling a right wing reactionary whose claim to fame was lying about anti-discrimination provisions for trans people

makes the idea of watching or listening to abc stuff in the future feel super skeevy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think the Peterson qanda thing is just a cheeky title to rev up the episode now that I think about it

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

JBP posted:

I think the Peterson qanda thing is just a cheeky title to rev up the episode now that I think about it

There are like 10 other Peterson videos that name him and quote some line in line with his fans' idea of him as a tough free speech warrior "Jordan Peterson Won't Allow a Virtue-Signaling Government to Dictate Gender Pronouns", I mean come on, jesus christ.

None of the other ABC Q&A videos are like this. The person running the account (assuming this is an official account? it looks like it) is either a full MAGA chud or, at best, a completely clueless idiot who saw a bunch of videos with similar titles pop up in their recommendations and title the videos similarly with the (admittedly correct) assumption that this is what generates clicks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

There are like 10 other Peterson videos that name him and quote some line in line with his fans' idea of him as a tough free speech warrior "Jordan Peterson Won't Allow a Virtue-Signaling Government to Dictate Gender Pronouns", I mean come on, jesus christ.

None of the other ABC Q&A videos are like this. The person running the account (assuming this is an official account? it looks like it) is either a full MAGA chud or, at best, a completely clueless idiot who saw a bunch of videos with similar titles pop up in their recommendations and title the videos similarly with the assumption that this is what generates clicks.

They're just referencing what people call Peterson. I was at a thing last night and a girl from uni was telling me how Peterson helped her and how she agrees with him on free speech. poo poo's commonplace.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

JBP posted:

Oh, well if they're just pretending to suck the dick of the regressive christian who came to fame off the back of his lies about human rights protections for a minority group for the sake of views then it's all good then. love my abc

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Turks posted:

I think this is a good idea just for how little effort it would require, but I'm dubious that donkey voting causes significant issues, especially given a lot of the problems we have also exist in countries without compulsory voting.

Ballot paper order absolutely has an impact on votes, and can determine where a party's preferences flow, because all parties try to simplify that poo poo as much as possible. If you've got 16 candidates for a seat (which has happened), you don't want your preferences to jump all over the page - most people won't bother following it. Therefore, most how-to-votes have preferences as close to numerical order (or reverse) as they can, while having their candidate first and serious opposition or ideological opposites last. It's very much an intentional choice that parties make. The statistic I've heard is donkeys are generally about 1-2% of the vote, which can absolutely be the difference between winning or losing, obviously in a marginal seat, but also in a seat considered safe (e.g. Brighton in the Vic state election, and I'm sure we'll see upsets like that in the federal election).

Another option is to randomise the order in which parties are printed on the ballot paper.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

They're just referencing what people call Peterson. I was at a thing last night and a girl from uni was telling me how Peterson helped her and how she agrees with him on free speech. poo poo's commonplace.

the girl sucks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Box of Bunnies posted:

Oh, well if they're just pretending to suck the dick of the regressive christian who came to fame off the back of his lies about human rights protections for a minority group for the sake of views then it's all good then. love my abc

I think he got to say those things after becoming famous for a sad suburbanite self help book

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/MelbUrbanist/status/1101020535314513920

Who needs a budget anyway?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

the girl sucks

She's an accountant that used to be a pharmacist who is a really nice person generally, but has never read a book that wasn't mathematics related or a penguin classic.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

JBP posted:

I think he got to say those things after becoming famous for a sad suburbanite self help book

His bullshit about trans protections and "compelled speech" started in 2016. His self help book came out last year

BBJoey posted:

the girl sucks

careful now, jbp's friends might catch The Sads if you say mean things about the regressive shithead they've decided to glom onto for ~c l e a n y o u r r o o m~ advice. please try to use a little Decorum™

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that would work for them because people are dumb

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

Yeah thread is being pretty reactionary tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Morrisons plan to bring electric cars to the Australian mainstream by bankrupting servos.