Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

mattfl posted:

I'm going to attempt to print NinjaFlex tonight. Wish me luck! It'll be the first non pla filament I'll have put through my MK2S in my year + of owning it lol

If it's anything like the TPU I've used, just don't print it on bare PEI, or it will rip a chunk off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BMan posted:

If it's anything like the TPU I've used, just don't print it on bare PEI, or it will rip a chunk off

Ya, I've heard to use glue stick. Good thing I kept the one that came with my mk2s in a drawer!

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Sagebrush posted:

If you have a printer that can probe the bed like that, you can compensate for it automatically in firmware. The printer will drive the z axis up and down to track the measured bed deflection.

Yeah sadly not on Smoothie :( There's linear interpolation from an [x,y,z] point grid, but it doesn't allow manual input for some reason. I have a spreadsheet of dial indicator readings in this format but no known way of putting them in the firmware, slicer, or model, without something like, a perl postprocessing script on the gcode file.

Has anybody who said it wouldn't work, tested something like that, slicing and printing on a non-planar surface?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Thanks for that, I'm really trying to wait until I get my bonus to buy, but I'm getting too excited by everything I read/hear about them. My kossel is nice, don't get me wrong. Granted, it was a $300 kit from kickstarter 3 years ago, and it's gotten probably $400 in upgrades/repairs so... yeah. Rails, 24v, smoothie, TMC2100's (2 sets as I put the first set in backwards when I disassembled the board for whatever reason), hotend, etc. I've really enjoyed my printer, and tinkering with it as well, but at this point it's pretty slow and I really don't want to spend days calibrating it when something breaks. Auto-leveling is something I've never implemented, god knows why.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mofabio posted:

Yeah sadly not on Smoothie :(
Put Klipper on the Smoothie.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Trying to get Slic3r PE to work on my Replicator 2 with sailfish firmware. Since my boss won't fund replacements for our lovely warped build plates (or better yet good printers) I have to use rafts. Also I have to convert gcode to x3g with ReplicatorG which might cause issues.

Can I directly control the layer height for rafts? Haven't found settings for this yet. Thicker rafts ive found help correct the warping.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So printing with Ninjaflex success!

https://imgur.com/gallery/acxyLFh

A little stringing that I can clean up but overall very impressed with this stuff. This is the second tire I printed, had to turn the speed down after the first one came out a little worse.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

New Smart Extruder, still getting Error 65.

I’m going to take the carriage face off and see if something is loose. Any other advice, aside from the dumster?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Have you guys had issues with dimensional accuracy? I'm finding that if I print a plug and a hole of the same dimension, say a 3mm square, they don't fit. In the following example, the dimension measured at 6.155mm comes out to ~6.4mm when printed, and the corresponding hole was a little under 6mm.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Under/oversize mating features by the following for these effects:

0.1mm for a press fit with vise/tools
0.2mm for a snug finger-tight fit
0.3mm for a loose fit that will generally hold themselves
0.4mm for a sliding fit

Also, honestly, just lol @ 3 decimal points in the millimeters on an FDM printer. You're squeezing plastic through a hole that is (likely) 0.400mm wide, even bothering to specify dimensions down to 0.0x is useless.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, half-millimeters is about as far as I push it, with a .25 nozzle even.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Have you guys had issues with dimensional accuracy? I'm finding that if I print a plug and a hole of the same dimension, say a 3mm square, they don't fit. In the following example, the dimension measured at 6.155mm comes out to ~6.4mm when printed, and the corresponding hole was a little under 6mm.

Measure your filament diameter, at several locations and average them. If it's oval, get both the major and minor diameters. Put the average into your slicer.

Next, dial in your extrusion multiplier, print a cube in vase mode so you can measure the thickness of the wall. Set the attempted extrusion width to the size of your nozzle. After the print is complete, if the wall is too thick, reduce the multiplier, if too thin increase. This will require a few prints to nail down. Fortunately they don't need to be big, and vase mode makes it quick. This is a setting that changes with filaments.

if your machine is good otherwise (stiff frame, right tension on belts, decent components, consistent filament, etc) that should get you the last .1mm.

All that said, 3d printers tend to be very precise and repeatable, but not always accurate. As such if you need super fine fits you'll pretty much need to adjust the model to bring it to size.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also, make sure the steps/mm are spot on. While not so important for E, because you can fudge it with the multiplier, X and Y ought to be correct. Print a large single layer square, like a cube in vase mode limited to 1 layer, then measure the outsides and subtract the average wall width from each axis.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there an additive manufacturing equivalent to the 'circle diamond square' mill test?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

taqueso posted:

Is there an additive manufacturing equivalent to the 'circle diamond square' mill test?

If you are looking for an all in one accuracy test, surprisenly, it's that small boat you see all over the place; 3d Benchy

http://www.3dbenchy.com

The boat was built so if your printer is dialed in correctly, a lot of different measurements should return very specific values. Here's a couple

These are just a few of the dimensions that can be measured. A lot more can be found @ http://www.3dbenchy.com/dimensions/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Nice, that's a lot more fun than a couple squares and circle.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Professor Shark posted:

I’m going to take the carriage face off and see if something is loose. Any other advice, aside from the dumster?

Do you have any firearms and a Patreon?

Create a video where you dump the equivalent cost of a Monoprice Mini V2 in ammunition into the Makerbot, then rake in the dough as 3D printer hobbyists around the world pay you for opportunity to watch that.

That, or re-enact that scene from Office Space with some coworkers.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, make sure the steps/mm are spot on. While not so important for E, because you can fudge it with the multiplier, X and Y ought to be correct. Print a large single layer square, like a cube in vase mode limited to 1 layer, then measure the outsides and subtract the average wall width from each axis.

I used to recommend this, but I specifically do not anymore, and believe that (other than the e) that this is one that should be left as as close as ideal as possible.

Because the belts are toothed they can't slip without losing a tooth, even if they're out of size. Mislocated and sized teeth will cause artifacts, but they still have the correct number so the average size will be correct. Either you have the right number of teeth or you don't.

The belts themselves should are high enough precision that they shouldn't be the limiting factor, and this accuracy is effectively what you're tweaking. There is room to tweak here, there is no perfect belt, but it should be one of the last things to adjust.

The problem with doing it if your printer isn't dialed in is that it's easy to wind up with a printer that's compensating for the flaws in for a specific size, that then causes the printer to be off different amounts at different at different sizes. Seeing that complex parts will have features of all sizes it's problem, because each feature will be off by different amounts.

I completely disagree with the idea of subtracting the width of the wall. The slicer (well silc3r at least, but I'd expect the same from cura, simplify etc) is trying to produce a shape of that size on it's outer skin, not the center of the wall.

On the other hand I think the E axis is more important because it's much harder to measure where the filament will actually engage with the gripper from first principals. It's also much easier to get good data that's independent of outside factors.

Extrusion multiplier can be used to compensate for bad E axis, but since it represents different things it will be used for different things. For example e axis steps will directly affect retraction, and extrusion multiplier won't.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The issue is more Chinesium tolerances on the pulleys, specifically diameter. Cheap pulleys are extruded instead of machined, and if the die is worn out, you might get a slightly different diameter.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Combat Pretzel posted:

The issue is more Chinesium tolerances on the pulleys, specifically diameter. Cheap pulleys are extruded instead of machined, and if the die is worn out, you might get a slightly different diameter.

the pulleys are toothed

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Right. What was I thinking.

lovely pulleys (and/or belts) still can give you grief, tho. I had Z ribbing because terrible Z belts that didn't entirely fit the pulleys profile. All this poo poo with there apparently being subtle differences between 2GT and GT2 (one is circular and one curvilinear, forgot which is which), and some Chinese suppliers mixing 2GT and MXL pulleys.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

EVIL Gibson posted:

If you are looking for an all in one accuracy test, surprisenly, it's that small boat you see all over the place; 3d Benchy

http://www.3dbenchy.com

The boat was built so if your printer is dialed in correctly, a lot of different measurements should return very specific values. Here's a couple

These are just a few of the dimensions that can be measured. A lot more can be found @ http://www.3dbenchy.com/dimensions/

And if you print two, the smoke stack can just fit into the cargo hold square if not over extruded, and they'll lock together.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

"people" posted:

suggestions

Whew, that's a lot to work with. I'll dig into those suggestions this weekend and see if I can't dial it in a bit. (And I'm not trying to hit three decimal places of accuracy, that's just how long that particular dimension happens to be when the sides are set to 4mm.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"Lets do a test print" "Wait....this is working...I'll let it go"

I am now convinced that the gift of my previous printer was an act of aggression by one of my oldest friends.

I told him this and he laughed. Most expensive gift to receive ever.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
That's why i bought my friend an Ender3 for Christmas.

to make up for the previous printer I'd bought him

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

Motronic posted:

dumping every bearing into alcohol to get the chinese septic honey out of them and re-pack with good grease

i'm expecting delivery of a prusa mk3 friday. what grease did you re-pack with, and how (did you print out a nozzle to help)? i don't have access to a printer yet; would this still be do-able?

edit: vvvvvv

NeurosisHead posted:

I used white lithium grease, and the tube tip was already the right size to fit into the bearing so no tip needed.

thanks!

nine16thsdago fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 28, 2019

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

nine16thsdago posted:

i'm expecting delivery of a prusa mk3 friday. what grease did you re-pack with, and how (did you print out a nozzle to help)? i don't have access to a printer yet; would this still be do-able?

I used white lithium grease, and the tube tip was already the right size to fit into the bearing so no tip needed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Golluk posted:

And if you print two, the smoke stack can just fit into the cargo hold square if not over extruded, and they'll lock together.

Also the overhang under the bow gives you an indicator of your machine's overhang performance (especially the quality of your part cooling solution) and the doorways, windows, and ceiling of the cabin give indicators of bridging capacity.

It's a neat little part.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Try and sell it and use the money for any other printer?

My company’s first printer was a cubex trio. Lovely looking. In reality it was an expensive croc of poo poo and has gathered dust since about a month after it was bought. Recognise the mistake and move on, your blood pressure will thank you.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Good luck, they're really lovely to work on. We used to take broken makerbots as trade ins because the amount of work and time required to repair them would often exceed the price of a new printer.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Speaking of Makerbots:

My lab inherited an old Makerbot Replicator 2. Keep or throw away/use as a parts donor for other projects?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Replicator 2 is easy enough to work on, it's everything from the smart extruder introduction on that's hot garbage.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just found out about Nema 8 tiny little stepper motors and I'm considering using them to build a tinyboi that can do a ~50x50x50 print. Do they have any torque whatsoever? I figured they just didnt get this small otherwise people would be using them in direct drive extruders, so when I saw them I was kind of surprised.

https://www.pololu.com/product/1204

And what's the smallest control board you can get? I'm using a RAMPS 1.2 board at home that has never been upgraded from the stock firmware so I don't need the most modern or fancy features, just something in a small package so the control box isn't as big as the entire printer.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mofabio posted:

Yeah sadly not on Smoothie :( There's linear interpolation from an [x,y,z] point grid, but it doesn't allow manual input for some reason. I have a spreadsheet of dial indicator readings in this format but no known way of putting them in the firmware, slicer, or model, without something like, a perl postprocessing script on the gcode file.
You can take your point grid and convert it into a cartesian.grid file used by Smoothieware if you want to get it to work. The file format is:
(byte)Grid size X (e.g. 09 for 9x9 grid)
OPTIONAL (byte)Grid size Y if not same as X. Both X and Y dimensions must match config.
(float)Grid X max (e.g. 200.0f / 0x00004843 for 200mm X)
(float)Grid Y max
Followed by a float value for the bed height in mm for each of the grid size positions (e.g. 81 floats for a 9x9 grid)

Should be easy enough to write a quick script to convert your dial readings to hex floats and save them to a file. Just make sure the grid configured in smoothie ends up on the same positions you took your X,Y readings. Then put the cartesian.grid file on the smoothie sd card and use M375 to load it. M375.1 to view it. Obviously you need to enable the cartesian grid leveling strategy in your config as well.

But, yeah, I'm with you on the "sadly not on Smoothie :(" train. It started out so strong but I guess it didn't pick up enough steam to get other developers working on it so it has fallen behind now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nine16thsdago posted:

I used synthetic grease - specifically Super Lube because I have that around for other stuff. Any decent clean light grease that you can continue to get in the future (so you aren't mixing lubricants) should be fine.

I simply shot grease into each bearing out of the tube while it was sitting on a paper towel and used an appropriate sized dowel to pack it by holding them down on the towel while "ramming" the dowel through. In my case that happened to be a spudger (for opening phones/plastic parts) that had a perfect sized handle.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

Motronic posted:

In my case that happened to be a spudger (for opening phones/plastic parts) that had a perfect sized handle.

out of curiosity, could you use the rod in place of the dowel you mentioned? i have a pile of spudgers/tools in any case. thanks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nine16thsdago posted:

out of curiosity, could you use the rod in place of the dowel you mentioned? i have a pile of spudgers/tools in any case. thanks!

I'd avoid using the rod because it's just too easy to knock the bearings out with it - the ends are flat cut. They should have been chamfered in my opinion, but that's an additional operation and cost for something the you're only assembling once (hopefully) and isn't a problem if you take a bit of care when doing it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

suck my woke dick posted:

Speaking of Makerbots:

My lab inherited an old Makerbot Replicator 2. Keep or throw away/use as a parts donor for other projects?

Isn't the Rep2 what Flashforge cloned with decent success?

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
Is there another thread for discussing 3D modeling software with regards to 3D printing? I'm trying to decide which SW I want to learn. I know Fusion 360 is popular, but beyond that, I don't know where to begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

suck my woke dick posted:

Speaking of Makerbots:

They're OK. Definitely put Sailfish Firmware on it for improved everything. Like I said above I haven't had luck using Slic3r PE with it but the old Maketbot Desktop app works fine. Lots of hardware modifications available from the community.