Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Box of Bunnies posted:

careful now, jbp's friends might catch The Sads if you say mean things about the regressive shithead they've decided to glom onto for ~c l e a n y o u r r o o m~ advice. please try to use a little Decorum™

Eh I just suggested some related stuff to read for the other side. She won't though because no one can put out the case against Peterson without either screaming bloody murder or making it inconceivably boring to read/watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hahahahaha.

They know they've lost so badly that they're just trying to lay landmines for the next government.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
That's now how any of this works. The plan enables servos to raise their take from a litre of fuel to $1.20 without worrying about the fuel excise driving people away. Servo profits will sky rocket.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

JBP posted:

Eh I just suggested some related stuff to read for the other side. She won't though because no one can put out the case against Peterson without either screaming bloody murder or making it inconceivably boring to read/watch.

"Why aren't people engaging with me in an open and honest manner!?" I cry as I lie about human rights protections for minority groups and say weird poo poo about how ancient pictures of snakes loving prove we knew about the double helix centuries ago

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Box of Bunnies posted:

His bullshit about trans protections and "compelled speech" started in 2016. His self help book came out last year

Ok I've never heard of anyone that wasn't introduced to him via the book, so that's what I thought he was famous for rather than something he said some time before.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Box of Bunnies posted:

"Why aren't people engaging with me in an open and honest manner!?" I cry as I lie about human rights protections for minority groups and say weird poo poo about how ancient pictures of snakes loving prove we knew about the double helix centuries ago

Ah well

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Howard removed the indexation of fuel exist during the leadup to the 2001 election when he was badly behind.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The betoota advocate has been on fire lately

Hell yes. Not like they are struggling to find good material to work with though. Nice to see them coming out hard on Pell & Co. - although they are not always entirely on script.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/see-ya-later-oval office/

No real satire there.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah see one thing you will typically find that is universal amongst respectable Australians is a disdain for people for gently caress kids.

Unfortunately the Liberal party and Murdoch media are totally devoid of any respectability these days and probably get into a bit of it themselves tbh.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
If I can accept Ryan Adams and Will Wagner are fucksticks they can accept the same about the old man in the silly frock

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

To be fair Pell was a massive shitstain long before any of this chapter.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Does this say 'Jordan Peterson DESTROYS Q&A' for anyone else? On the official ABC channel? Am I reading that right? And the first 6 or seven subsequent uploads are all pandering to the same right wing nutters?

I think ABC's social media manager is in on the joke. Almost all of the viewer tweets that were displayed on that episode were mocking and dismissive in tone.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

JBP posted:

Peterson's deliberately vague and waffling style is pretty much impossible to summarily debunk because he throws out so much bullshit that it's impossible to address it all, and if you pass over even a single point his supporters will jump on that as proof he's right and you're wrong.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Don't engage them. Make fun of them but don't ever try to debate that RWNJ scum, because they will never, ever engage in a reasoned debate. They will shift the goalposts ad infinitum until you get sick of trying and then claim victory.

Just call them out for being a sad misogynist and move on.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i know it's wrong to judge people by appearances but i've never read or absorbed any of zizek's work and i love him purely because of how ridiculous he looks

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I saw someone on the train reading the Peterson book, it was 35 degrees and he was wearing a full suit and vest and fedora despite also having some surf brand hot blue backpack and weedy facial hair, it really confirmed what I thought of his supporters

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cartoon posted:

A member of the SES who hasn't quite made it is often called a cumquat. They want to be a mandarin and the're bitter about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_(bureaucrat)

I'm stealing this and totally using it at my next training night. Thanks Cartoon.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

pikachode posted:

i know it's wrong to judge people by appearances but i've never read or absorbed any of zizek's work and i love him purely because of how ridiculous he looks

Oh let's not overlook how ridiculous he acts

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Don't engage them. Make fun of them but don't ever try to debate that RWNJ scum, because they will never, ever engage in a reasoned debate. They will shift the goalposts ad infinitum until you get sick of trying and then claim victory.

Just call them out for being a sad misogynist and move on.

I'm not sure that an ethnically Vietnamese woman qualifies for this behaviour but ok.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

She's an accountant that used to be a pharmacist who is a really nice person generally, but has never read a book that wasn't mathematics related or a penguin classic.

Jesus how many of your friends are into this nut?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

I'm not sure that an ethnically Vietnamese woman qualifies for this behaviour but ok.

lol You're doing the same troll as last time but changing your "friend" from male to female.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Jesus how many of your friends are into this nut?

My close friends: 0. The host of the party is a clinical psych that hates Peterson but she also can't be hosed engaging with it while trying to have fun.

It's interesting because I think Zizek is so entertaining but I'd never really bother talking about him at a birthday party (unless I was with my Marxist hypernerd friends). People that like Peterson seem to think they've discovered something amazing that you genuinely need in your life. I don't know what his trick is. I wish I understood the appeal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lol You're doing the same troll as last time but changing your "friend" from male to female.

It's not a troll. I don't know why people like him. The guy in Sydney is a Christian and I was like fine, but when this one raised it I was like what the gently caress.

The book is a bestseller and it's on the recommended shelf in like every book shop. I'm not sure how it's hard to believe that people have read it.

E: I don't want to talk about it and this is going on too long. It was just a fresh memory and I don't understand why people are flocking to this stupid self help book.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cool, I'll check back in next week to hear about your transgender friend who's into Peterson but is actually a nice person.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cool, I'll check back in next week to hear about your transgender friend who's into Peterson but is actually a nice person.

I don't have any transgender friends.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JBP posted:

We should just elect one person and let them run it then their children so we don't have to ruin our own lives thinking about this boring poo poo every day

We’ve already got one of those and she just sits in England contributing nothing the bloody layabout

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I don't have any transgender friends.

Why does this not surprise me, lmao

I read Peterson's book when it came out, didn't know who he was, was vaguely aware of some of the refusal to use preferred pronouns stuff, but thought I'd give it a go. I thought the first half/two-thirds of the book weren't bad as a kind of parable, he mentions some ideas that made some sense and that you have to think about a little bit. Reading through that first section I was definitely thinking along the lines of "this guy has some idea what he's saying", and was warming up to him.

In the last half/third of the book though he takes a sharp right turn out of what he can reasonably be expected to know as a shrink, like how your thoughts work and how to build self confidence and poo poo, into loving weird territory like biotruths and gender binaries, and it goes completely off the rails and he reveals himself for the manic crank that he is, trying to push a specific agenda. By the time I'd finished reading I'd written him off as a guy trying to ride the crest of social media fame with a self-help book, and I think that's pretty much what happened.

I'd be interested to know how far through the book the people you know have read, and whether they've looked into any of the videos he uploads online. I'd think that people would begin to realise that he's a loving moron if they made it that far. I hope.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

lmao what is this

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

pikachode posted:

I am also a fat weird looking idiot and I thank Zizek for teaching me moderation as I eat from the trash can of ideology

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Ah well

This is the second time you've managed to pull out an anecdote about a friend who's a nice person, really, they just spend all their money attending reactionary CHUD lectures so please be nice.

It is the weakest trolling I've ever seen.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Endman posted:

I am also a fat weird looking idiot and I thank Zizek for teaching me moderation as I eat from the trash can of ideology

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Romeo Charlie posted:

drat, I didn't expect the ABC to go so low to use clickbait titles.

What's next, scantily clad women in the thumbnail?

ABC has been doing clickbait headlines on their news site since Guthrie was Managing Director

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
More like 12 Rules for my Swimsuit Model Wife (That I am Absolutely Entitled to as a Man)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BBJoey posted:

lmao what is this

At least he's saying the Vietanmese woman is his friend rather than pretending to be one

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Zizek needs to work on his messaging while Petersen comes up with dumb messages dumb boys can pick up. Zizeks messaging is more like approaching a 15 year old boy and yelling at him why he prefers the heat death of the universe over dismantling capitalism.

Petersen will just tell the boy nothing is his fault, society is female, wash your dick and clean your room.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

I'm a 35 year old and I'm not put to try and collect the whole set of minotity friends. I have acquaintances and a colleague, but they're not my friends.

BBJoey posted:

lmao what is this

Not understanding why I would call this person a neckbeard or you know, foment discord at a social event is hard to understand, ok.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Don Dongington posted:

More like 12 Rules for my Swimsuit Model Wife (That I am Absolutely Entitled to as a Man)

His daughter is the one who wears the swimsuits

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1100867279632371721

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

bell jar posted:

yeah sorry JBP you failed your 100 points of Leftie ID check. Come back with at least one indigenous friend and a gay friend or a trans friend to prove you are as left as bell jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I'm a 35 year old and I'm not put to try and collect the whole set of minotity friends.

:eyepop:

Laserface posted:

yeah sorry JBP you failed your 100 points of Leftie ID check. Come back with at least one indigenous friend and a gay friend or a trans friend to prove you are as left as bell jar.

it's more a reflection of his attitude towards trans people itt that makes it obvious why trans people irl wouldn't want to be his friend