Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/smph/multilingual/english/about_us/Police_Museum.html
http://www.tfd.metro.tokyo.jp/ts/museum.html (http://www.tfd.metro.tokyo.jp/ts/mus/data/museum_leaflet.pdf)

Duh there's whole heckin museums for these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

prompt posted:

Wow I’ve never disagreed with anything more than your post. Tokyo boring for a few weeks? Then almost any other city in any other country gonna suck after a few days. Wow.

Well you're eventually going to have done the stuff you're really interested in doing and start pushing into ehhh I guess I'll go see that territory. The really good stuff just doesn't consume weeks worth of time. Unless your idea of a fun time is sitting in a maid Cafe for 3 houra or something, I guess.

This is especially true when you're just somewhere by yourself.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
If you can’t find fun and interesting things to do in Tokyo after a week you’re a boring person. I’ll leave my harsher comments for goon line chat.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

What size?

Depends on clearance of bike but 33-40mm or so

prompt posted:

Wow I’ve never disagreed with anything more than your post. Tokyo boring for a few weeks? Then almost any other city in any other country gonna suck after a few days. Wow.

Clearly you don’t read totalnewbie posts much

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Whatever, look, I'm sure there's poo poo to do in Tokyo. It's not exactly a small place. But unless you're on a 6 month holiday, 3 weeks in any one place sounds like a terrible waste of time, even if it's Tokyo. Maybe it's because people enjoy mundane poo poo like walking through <wherever> and being wide-eyed. /shrug go do that. Have a great time.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 27, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

LimburgLimbo posted:

Drivers at least aren’t thaaaat bad in my experience, though people loving suck at using turn signals well beforehand, and there’s far too many cars stopped on the left hand bike lane areas of the big roads so you need to swerve into traffic more than you really like.

This is mostly a product of being an experienced driver in a city. For example, in the SF Bay Area, using your signal too early to indicate a lane change indicates that you are a slow and passive driver that will take forever to merge, so many drivers will speed up into the gap naturally. In response, most drivers now only really signal last second. The other issue is that even when lane shifting or merging you are already supposed to be looking at the window to make sure nobody is there, so people just skip the "turn on signal early" part.

Tokyo will do quick lane changing as well because it's a major metropolitan area, but in retrospect, in the country side Japanese people are honestly the best at being polite on the road (usually)... Way better than US/Canada.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
driving in japan for the first time in aomori was way easier than i thought it'd be. apart from a taxi driver who was being a taxi driver everyone was super polite

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

prompt posted:

yes? hard as you may find it to believe, this is an accurate representation of what some of your fellow human beings experience.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

This is mostly a product of being an experienced driver in a city. For example, in the SF Bay Area, using your signal too early to indicate a lane change indicates that you are a slow and passive driver that will take forever to merge, so many drivers will speed up into the gap naturally. In response, most drivers now only really signal last second. The other issue is that even when lane shifting or merging you are already supposed to be looking at the window to make sure nobody is there, so people just skip the "turn on signal early" part.

Tokyo will do quick lane changing as well because it's a major metropolitan area, but in retrospect, in the country side Japanese people are honestly the best at being polite on the road (usually)... Way better than US/Canada.

Oh god is this a thing?? I thought it was just my dad, I hate driving with him because he zig zags across every lane (to get to the stoplight sooner). When he visits I drive exxxxxtra carefully just to make him annoyed.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Depends on clearance of bike but 33-40mm or so

No, I mean what size frame?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ntan1 posted:

People loving cut you off from behind if you’re trying to lane change? That would cause some murders in most places.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Klook will sell me this unlimited 4G sim for 8 days, which seems pretty good. But I'm gonna be in Japan for a total of 10. Do these kinds of prepaid cards come with extension options, or would I have to buy a second one for the remaining two days, or should I hunt for a 10-day one?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Knuc U Kinte posted:

People loving cut you off from behind if you’re trying to lane change? That would cause some murders in most places.

If you signal and act slow about it.

In LA they do always cut you off from behind and there's a reason there are so many car accidents there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Lol, I see ppl dash in front of other cars/bikes just to slam on the brakes to make a left almost every day. Bonus points for the ones making a left into an active crossing zone so they have to sit there blocking the lane until the pedestrians have cleared.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

https://tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260403/26003826/

Call the reservation number on there, and see if they have anyone that speaks English, don't try to do it in Japanese. If that doesn't work report back.

I did it and the guy spoke okay English and we muddled through it and now I feel very embarrassed and stupid but I have a reservation now so loving bite me world.

Good call on not trying to speak Japanese. That would have gone MUCH worse. I feel a little more prepared for how hard communication will be...I wonder if I should even try speaking it at all, or if it’s better to pretend I have no skill. Should I stick to English only during the trip? I don’t know if I should be all or nothing on that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I did it and the guy spoke okay English and we muddled through it and now I feel very embarrassed and stupid but I have a reservation now so loving bite me world.

Good call on not trying to speak Japanese. That would have gone MUCH worse. I feel a little more prepared for how hard communication will be...I wonder if I should even try speaking it at all, or if it’s better to pretend I have no skill. Should I stick to English only during the trip? I don’t know if I should be all or nothing on that.

You just gotta read things. Some people will speak or at least understand much more English than your Japanese. For some people knowing a few Japanese words will help a bit, for others once you say some Japanese they’ll just launch into full native speed Japanese you won’t be able to catch. Just have a smile and be resigned to feeling embarrassed and you’ll get by.

Stringent posted:

No, I mean what size frame?

Current bikes’ 実効トップチューブ length is 57-59cm, which has been working, though may be getting a longer stem for my roadbike with 57cm as my I have had minor back pain after about 2 hours which might be from my somewhat disproportionately long torso. Holding off until I go in for a bike fitting though, because I want to both confirm that issue and get proper measurements because I’m considering ordering a Canyon for the next bike potentially.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Hah, the whole range of police vehicles alone should keep him happy. Thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LimburgLimbo posted:

You just gotta read things. Some people will speak or at least understand much more English than your Japanese. For some people knowing a few Japanese words will help a bit, for others once you say some Japanese they’ll just launch into full native speed Japanese you won’t be able to catch. Just have a smile and be resigned to feeling embarrassed and you’ll get by.

Figures. I guess I just wonder if I’ll get a warmer reception by trying or not trying, but I’m there as a tourist anyway, so...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Pollyanna posted:

Figures. I guess I just wonder if I’ll get a warmer reception by trying or not trying, but I’m there as a tourist anyway, so...

i generally get the impression people appreciate foreigners making an effort to speak their language even if they prefer to switch to english for actual results. if they overestimate my skills and i don't understand a word they're saying then looking blank and stupid generally works out ok too! most people are nice and want you to have a nice time and want to communicate with you so it's hard to go wrong as a tourist

you probably made the right call about the reservation tho. i made a restaurant reservation in japanese once, after carefully preparing a script so i wouldn't forget any important words. then we turned up at the restaurant and i was terrible at japanese on the fly and they didn't believe it could possibly be the same person and went and phoned their other location to ask whether they were expecting any foreigners who might have got lost. then they eventually gave us a table and asked, in japanese, whether we were ok with chopsticks. that was a fun evening.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Out of curiosity, do the French or Italian restaurants in Tokyo have employees that speak French/Italian? Not that we plan on traveling from the US to eat anything other than Japanese food, but my wife speaks fluent French and I speak some Italian and popping in for a glass of wine and being able to communicate at the end of the night might be nice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Slow Graffiti posted:

Out of curiosity, do the French or Italian restaurants in Tokyo have employees that speak French/Italian? Not that we plan on traveling from the US to eat anything other than Japanese food, but my wife speaks fluent French and I speak some Italian and popping in for a glass of wine and being able to communicate at the end of the night might be nice.

Not as a rule but I'll post some places I know of once I get back to a computer.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I had really good pizza in Tokyo with another something awful forums poster that said it was too spicy.

The place also sold a drink which was beer+root beer I think??? and he ordered it and some dude came out from the back and said he put it on the menu, and iirc that this was the first time someone ever ordered it.

It was near the tokyo tower I forget the name, but I'd recommend.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It was pizza tamaki and the pizza crust wasn’t too spicy but a little too salty. It’s still good

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Beer and root beer sounds weird but I'd try it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Slow Graffiti posted:

Ok, my main French recommendation would be Petit Tonneau.
It's a very nice bistro run by a French guy. They'll have staff that are fluent in French, English or Japanese, sometimes all three. There are two locations one in Kudanshita and one in Toranomon; I'd recommend the one in Toranomon if you can get down there as they've got really nice outdoor seating. I take my family there on weekends when the weather's nice and there's often French families there too, so there's a decent chance y'all could strike up a conversation if you wanted to.

For Italian I don't know of a place where you could just hang out and drink offhand, but I do know a couple good restaurants run by Italians.
Mama Luisa's is a nice casual place. Like I said the guy running it is Italian, but he also cooks so probably won't be free to talk too much.
Stefano is a more upscale place, but the chef is Italian and he spends a lot of time in the dining room talking to the diners and explaining the food. Really excellent food and I always learn a lot when I visit.

I don't know where you live in the US, but I wouldn't shy away from eating at any of these places. I know it seems odd to eat French or Italian in Tokyo, but there really are some top notch restaurants kicking out some amazing food in those styles here.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

It was pizza tamaki and the pizza crust wasn’t too spicy but a little too salty. It’s still good

was it root beer and beer? i really forget. did I try it? that whole trip is like a fever dream

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

was it root beer and beer? i really forget. did I try it? that whole trip is like a fever dream

It was.

http://pst-tk2-ad.com/menu/drinks/

It’s the PST Gaff original cocktail.

Btw I still much prefer Savoy to PST though I know some here disagree with me

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I’ll eat at Seirinkan, Savoy, Tamaki, or Strada - whenever, whichever. They’re all amazing.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Stringent posted:

Ok, my main French recommendation would be Petit Tonneau.
It's a very nice bistro run by a French guy. They'll have staff that are fluent in French, English or Japanese, sometimes all three. There are two locations one in Kudanshita and one in Toranomon; I'd recommend the one in Toranomon if you can get down there as they've got really nice outdoor seating. I take my family there on weekends when the weather's nice and there's often French families there too, so there's a decent chance y'all could strike up a conversation if you wanted to.

For Italian I don't know of a place where you could just hang out and drink offhand, but I do know a couple good restaurants run by Italians.
Mama Luisa's is a nice casual place. Like I said the guy running it is Italian, but he also cooks so probably won't be free to talk too much.
Stefano is a more upscale place, but the chef is Italian and he spends a lot of time in the dining room talking to the diners and explaining the food. Really excellent food and I always learn a lot when I visit.

I don't know where you live in the US, but I wouldn't shy away from eating at any of these places. I know it seems odd to eat French or Italian in Tokyo, but there really are some top notch restaurants kicking out some amazing food in those styles here.

Awesome! Thank you!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

prompt posted:

I’ll eat at Seirinkan, Savoy, Tamaki, or Strada - whenever, whichever. They’re all amazing.

Legit thought you had included saizeriya first time I read and though maaan you’re positive today

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I found the worst thing. It tastes even worse than you think.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Oh yeah that poo poo is bad. Coca Cola Clear was pretty vile too.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

I found the worst thing. It tastes even worse than you think.

The gently caress? Peach Coke is my fuel when I'm doing arcade runs in Tokyo. Its delicious, unlike some some green tea stuff like this.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 2, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sale on Banksy art posted:

Oh yeah that poo poo is bad. Coca Cola Clear was pretty vile too.

Clear Coke was an abomination unto the gods, Peach Coke is perfectly decently fine. maybe Stringent found a bottle that's beyond sell-by date? it has been out a wee while.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I was really excited about trying peach coke when I went to Tokyo last May (yes, I know how sad that is) and the disappointment was palpable. Momoten remains the king of peach flavoured vending machine drinks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NGL one of the things I’m looking forward to the most is trying all the stuff in the vending machines.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

NGL one of the things I’m looking forward to the most is trying all the stuff in the vending machines.

They get kinda boring after a while tbh. loading up on candy, snacks, and matcha flavored everything at the donki is where the REAL fun begins

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Peach Coke is fine but it just makes me miss the brief moment of time they had Cherry Coke here.

Vending machines are cool but I never really developed a taste for coffee and bitter teas. About all I'll look for is interesting dessert drinks like pudding shakes and limited time juice flavors.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Thats the best. At every train station we would make a beeline for the vending machines and if there was anything we hadn't seen before we tried it.

The heartbreaker is when you discover a drink you really like and can't find it at any of the other stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like the ripoff boss coffee cans and salty lychee