Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should make a movie with Will Smith, Vin Diesel, and Tom Cruise just to see if it is even possible to write a script that meets all threes iron clad contract demands to be "on brand" at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They should make a movie with Will Smith, Vin Diesel, and Tom Cruise just to see if it is even possible to write a script that meets all threes iron clad contract demands to be "on brand" at all times.

A movie consisting of nothing but rotating low angle shots of the heroes would give me vertigo.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe it can win best editing then

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phylodox posted:

A movie consisting of nothing but rotating low angle shots of the heroes would give me vertigo.

Kenneth Branagh is directing, I see.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Michael Bay is directing, I see.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The trailer alluded to it but in case there was any loving doubt, here’s the director talking about a massive spoiler like it’s no big deal

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Is there a particular reason why Mystique's makeup looks goddamn terrible?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheHan posted:

Jennifer Lawrence is extremely done with the role, so I would not be surprised if the makeup for this one was simplified because of that, especially since it looks like she bites it in the first act.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Presumably cause JLaw doesn't want to be in the makeup chair for half the day any more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ain't no way Disney doesn't try to get her back into the role for the new X-Verse.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Ain't no way Disney doesn't try to get her back into the role for the new X-Verse.

I'm pretty sure nobody gives a poo poo about Jennifer Lawrence anymore, or her performance as Mystique.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think she should've been Oscar nominated for Mother!. Whatever you think of the movie, that was a committed performance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Hot take but there's no reason to center the xmen on loving mystique

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

Recast her as Wolverine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

There’s also no reason* to consistently cast the same actress as a character who can literally look like anyone.

* The reason for both things is because Jennifer Lawrence became a Big Deal and they want to cash in on that.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Jamesman posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody gives a poo poo about Jennifer Lawrence anymore, or her performance as Mystique.

Unfortunately for her, this is the truth.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like how we're two trailers in now and still batting zero on actually seeing the Phoenix raptor effect. Like for people who haven't watched Apocalypse, they still think that Jean's just a souped-up Carrie and that's all there is to it.

I guess that train part was pretty cool tho.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BrianWilly posted:

I guess that train part was pretty cool tho.

It was strange to show a fight scene with her inside the train before setting up "what is happening to the train?" as the climax of the trailer.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I'm guessing that Mystique dying is part of what makes Beast go bad. If they'd not already established her in First Class, I'd assume that white-haired woman was Emma Frost, but presumably she's supposed to be Mastermind?

Is it me or do the guards on the train have M.C.U patches? Real subtle there, guys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheHan posted:

It's a Fox production so everything looks terrible all the time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

For three loving movies!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There is when you hire a popular actress well below market rate.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endless Mike posted:

There is when you hire a popular actress well below market rate.

Yeah, didn't they lock in her contract before she got big?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Lurdiak posted:

It's a Fox production so everything looks terrible all the time.

In First Class I liked how it looked, and it was pretty much indistingushable from X-Men 1-3 Mystique. Now I feel like I can see the paint fading from her fingertips from using her phone in-between takes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jennifer Lawrence is extremely done with the role, so I would not be surprised if the makeup for this one was simplified because of that, especially since it looks like she bites it in the first act.

But naturally it's the same reason why Nightcrawler only showed up in one film. I went to double check how the makeup used to look and noticed the prostethics slowly creeping away from her face. Also, lol, People magazine has that spoiler just brazenly stated in the title of an article right now. Nobody cares about this movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Also the Rock has been becoming notorious for demanding ending rewrites.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I'm guessing that Mystique dying is part of what makes Beast go bad. If they'd not already established her in First Class, I'd assume that white-haired woman was Emma Frost, but presumably she's supposed to be Mastermind?

CineD says that's Selene.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thank god they went back to all wearing the same suit, too. Clearly nobody wanted the cool, comics accurate ones they wore for all of 5 seconds in apocalypse

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Retro Futurist posted:

Thank god they went back to all wearing the same suit, too. Clearly nobody wanted the cool, comics accurate ones they wore for all of 5 seconds in apocalypse

The one they’re wearing is also comic accurate!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

Those are comic accurate, the black with a big chunky X are the designs from around Morrison's run on New X-Men and they pretty much all wore the same thing. IIRC the explanation is that they weren't there to be seen as superheroes but as representatives of a mutant organization.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway the point is after finally teasing the costumes everyone wanted to see (the Jim Lee/90s cartoon costumes) they instead opt to skip them and have them be in the early 2000s costumes instead. And if First Class was 60s, DOFP was 70s, and Apocalypse was 80s, logically this should be the 90s but...??? I guess Simon Kinsberg doesn't like 90s X-Men as much as every other person on earth.

The thing about every other Marvel movie has been that they really haven't done a movie with any of the heavy hitters other than Spider-man, they've mostly been second tier characters that nobody cares enough about to make a big stink over not getting every little detail right. The X-Men are kind of a different boat, but at least it seems like there's no way they could take more liberties with the source material than Fox has.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Apocalypse put them in generic body armor.
New X-Men based costumes are a big improvement.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chickenwalker posted:

Anyway the point is after finally teasing the costumes everyone wanted to see (the Jim Lee/90s cartoon costumes) they instead opt to skip them and have them be in the early 2000s costumes instead. And if First Class was 60s, DOFP was 70s, and Apocalypse was 80s, logically this should be the 90s but...??? I guess Simon Kinsberg doesn't like 90s X-Men as much as every other person on earth.

The thing about every other Marvel movie has been that they really haven't done a movie with any of the heavy hitters other than Spider-man, they've mostly been second tier characters that nobody cares enough about to make a big stink over not getting every little detail right. The X-Men are kind of a different boat, but at least it seems like there's no way they could take more liberties with the source material than Fox has.

Who the gently caress do you consider "the heavy hitters" that hasn't been in a Marvel movie? Is your list just the entire X-men roster and Spider-man? Or are you one of those people who thinks the FF are still relevant?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^^^^^Honestly it's kinda been just the X-Men and Spider-Man from the 80s till the Iron Man movie.

Rhyno posted:

Ain't no way Disney doesn't reduce Mystique to a secondary villain role for the new X-Verse.
Fixed but more accurately, if Marvel Studios is doing Secret Invasion next they probably aren't going to use her in whatever they plan for the X-Men.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 1, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The trailer alluded to it but in case there was any loving doubt, here’s the director talking about a massive spoiler like it’s no big deal

this strikes me as a fairly desperate attempt to drum up some sort of buzz around the film given the poor reception to Apocalypse and then the first trailer, and of course the cloud of the impending Disney acquisition hanging over all the PR and marketing for this film

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Who the gently caress do you consider "the heavy hitters" that hasn't been in a Marvel movie? Is your list just the entire X-men roster and Spider-man? Or are you one of those people who thinks the FF are still relevant?

Pretty much. I mean there's a reason those are the rights that sold, because they're the rights that are the most iconic among Marvel's properties. Just because they're few doesn't mean they aren't substantially higher profile than the Avengers were prior to the awesome job the MCU has done developing movies for those characters. And when you think of most people's perception of the Avengers now, it's based on the movies much more than it is on any of the comics that informed them.

I'm not saying they won't be good, I'm just saying that as they reclaim these rights there's going to be a much greater degree of scrutiny on them to get them right compared to a character even nerds had relatively little awareness of previously (like GoTG). If they decide to say mutants are a side effect of super soldier research like they did in the Ultimate line people who are only familiar with the 90s cartoon and some comics here and there (and there are a lot of those) may not be thrilled.

But like I said in my last post, Fox sets a very low bar to get over.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of felt like Apocalypse did away with the whole time period thing. Yes it takes place in the 80's but while the previous two films tried to integrate the X-Men into real world events, outside of some pop-culture references Apocalypse didn't do that at all. It could have been a generic "sometime in the future" thing and it wouldn't have felt out of place time period wise.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Retro Futurist posted:

I like the Quitely uniforms, but yeah, it's ridiculous that they finally got costumes that did a decent job of evoking the classic designs and then did away with them after they were on screen for a few seconds

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Found this on imgur

Is there any chance this movie isn't going to blow up in everyone's faces

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought it looked alright :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
The skin bumps/texture was always stupid and never looked good.
Like the whole point was if they gave her skin a texture they could sneak a perpetually naked lady into a PG13 movie but by covering her body with gross bumps they kinda defeated the purpose.