Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

uber_stoat posted:

is Lowtax spying on me through my phone?!!!!

Lowtax doesn't do spyware, he does spineware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

and its also dying out slowly anyway and as it does the network effect gets weaker and the people there have less and less incentive to stick around

as they slowly die they also start to become more and more brazen with data scraping (see current stuff about them not even needing you to have an account to steal your data) and up the skinner box poo poo 1000%

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Lowtax doesn't do spyware, he does spineware

:dadjoke:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Food Boner posted:

as they slowly die they also start to become more and more brazen with data scraping (see current stuff about them not even needing you to have an account to steal your data) and up the skinner box poo poo 1000%

lol yes everyone i know has started getting tons and tons of notifications every day for any activity at all

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just parroting what someone else ITT said but the events thing is really the best thing FB has currently. It's not exactly a hard niche to fill but eventbrite doesn't quite fill that space.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

net work error posted:

Just parroting what someone else ITT said but the events thing is really the best thing FB has currently. It's not exactly a hard niche to fill but eventbrite doesn't quite fill that space.

Yep, and a big part of a usable events platform is reach. That's less important for family stuff, as plenty of family's organise events personally anyway.

But for communities without family ties, access to participants is a huge part of effective events. And sadly that's fb's power.

The DNS idea is fantastic, tho, and someone should make it happen

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol at this guy who still emails his friends

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senju Kannon posted:

i was more just sayin there’s reasons why people use facebook and can’t just stop using it and analysis of facebook and how to respond to it need to address them.

like there’s a lot of talkin about individual responses to a social problem. in an economy that alienates people a website that lets you see what your loved ones are doing and schedule times to hang out is gonna be popular and no amount of negatives is gonna convince people to give that up. that’s why facebook is so insidious, it offers a bandaid for real social problems and without a meaningful alternative it’s not gonna go away. i don’t know if it’s public utility level but it certainly needs to be regulated at the least.

edit: tho full disclosure i’m on two panic attacks and a deppressive downswing today and that could also be part of it lol

Interesting POV

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I have a FB account because it's the only social media platform my friends from college use and they all live 3000 miles away. Nice to keep up with them without having to actually talk all the time. I have like 30 friends, pretty much max security, and hardly post anything but pictures of things I've cooked.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

cenotaph posted:

I have a FB account because it's the only social media platform my friends from college use and they all live 3000 miles away. Nice to keep up with them without having to actually talk all the time. I have like 30 friends, pretty much max security, and hardly post anything but pictures of things I've cooked.

could you give it up though?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Entorwellian posted:

could you give it up though?

If I could set up something else that's convenient to keep in touch with people as a group, yes.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/katecrawford/status/1100958020203409408

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the near future: “I was wearing a white robe for visibility.”

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

In the near future: “I was wearing a white robe for visibility.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8njPF3R_ww

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Internet of poo poo saves kid from self:

quote:

Eh. Kids are sneaky. I know one who kept his guns in a safe which is about as secure as it gets. His kid hid his phone in record mode to watch what he typed on the keypad. Kid basically wanted one to show off just like here. Luckily for my buddy he had a little wifi thing that sent him an email when the safe was opened.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Farm Frenzy posted:

lol yes everyone i know has started getting tons and tons of notifications every day for any activity at all

lol yeah their last resort seems to be weird friend suggestions. I get those after 2-3 weeks without logging in to check up on the peeps I don't see so often irl

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cenotaph posted:

If I could set up something else that's convenient to keep in touch with people as a group, yes.

lots of people use discord these days

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I'm way behind but holy loving poo poo, burn facebook to the ground

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/28/amazon-brands-takedown-fake-listings/

amazon will just let brands take down their competitors poo poo now by "accidentally" declaring their items to be knockoffs of their stuff

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is it actually Facebook, or some third party contractor working for Facebook?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

General Dog posted:

of course its a 3rd party, which means facebook is not liable, and actually its moral they're creating jobs and its just too bad this one bad apple company isnt following facebook's strict policies and guidelines

facebook trusted them...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

General Dog posted:

Who cares?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There's a qualitative difference between treating your own employees like dogs directly and laundering the mistreatment through a lovely third party.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

General Dog posted:

There's a qualitative difference between treating your own employees like dogs directly and laundering the mistreatment through a lovely third party.

yes, that is the exact legal cowardice that corporations such as facebook hide behind to abuse their workforce. the workers are directly benefitting facebook, modifying the content on facebook's platform. they work for facebook.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

General Dog posted:

it's Cognizant, one of the big multinational outsourcing services companies

fun facts about Cognizant:

• it has a quarter million employees globally, over half of whom are in India
  • it gets tens of thousands of H-1B visas each year, so immigrants on temporary work visas probably make up much of their US workforce

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
and as contract employees become more commonplace, even outside of tech, these kinds of abuses are going to be more commonplace. management is definitely looking at these cases and taking notes on cutting labor costs

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Dog posted:

Where are you going with this?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

General Dog posted:

Every lovely job is a third party contractor, so you can claim that all your employees are happy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A majority or close to a majority of people in my site are contractors. Im on my project because employees don't work night shift so they just went 'eh, we'll contract some lower paid stooges to work this night shift gig'.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I did six years in call centers- large corporations absolutely shift the poo poo end of the stick to contracted companies. These companies are complicit, no doubt, in maintaining awful working conditions because it's how they survive

The least worst one was the 1-800-MEDICARE project, because there was a congressional mandate to pay us $14/hr (in 2007) and provide health insurance but the labor practices were the same as the sketchy private centers I've worked at. I also worked there during a transition- publisher Pearson used to operate it, but it got sold to an investment firm and renamed Vangent- they then resold it to *drumroll* General Dynamics. It was way cool and good to work at a place essentially run by a Bain Capital type outfit with the aim of inflating value for resale to mil ind, tell you what

The worst worst one was Cox cable under the aforementioned sketchy center, Affinitas (slogan "Affinitas: it's Latin for Relationship") where someone making GBS threads their pants was a monthly thing owing to the bathroom break policy and I got paid $8/hr (in 2009) to get yelled at for lovely policy (though it was hard to take a guy yelling about his reconnect fee seriously after working Medicare where callers were usually complaining about dying)

close runner up was SiriusXM sales under The Results Companies- same poo poo, but if you were good at sales, you got back to back calls, ~30-50/day- with commission, assuming perfect attendance over a 12-week period, it was about $11/hr. If you were bad at sales, you got two or three calls a day and got paid ~$8/he to just sit there with almost no opportunity to get those numbers up. No books, no devices, no puzzles or pens or paper allowed, and co-workers were usually on a call, so- no socializing

I was good at sales but bad at attendance so my commission reduced to about $9.50/hr, $76/day for the $2,000-$6,000/day in sales value I generated.

okay I didn't mean to write all of these words but it clearly affected me- I won't work at a call center ever again, abject poverty is preferable. Absurd conditions to make Camus reel

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
:thunk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Once upon a time, a series of laws were passed to force companies to provide for their employees' welfare and not treat them too harshly, otherwise they would have to face some kind of punishment.

So what are these massive corporations to do when they want to grind down on their employees for short term gain for shareholders and executives? Contract out most of your on the ground employees to some ephemeral third party so they can take all the responsibility for the human rights abuses. So what if they do all their work for one company, and that one company has total power over them? It's just some strangers only there for the day so far as the main corporation is concerned.

The most glaring contradiction is how all these corporations in every other respect are vast amoebas that swallow up everything they touch, competitors, suppliers, middlemen, random companies in alternate industries, somehow they abstain from absorbing these contracting companies because they literally just exist to remove responsibility from the main employer.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
having trouble discontinuing social media? Just have no friends :wink:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

one weird trick discovered by a goon

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

tbf with all this talk about facebook, isn't one of the biggest problems that it's impossible to avoid even if you aren't a member because so much poo poo is web 2.0 now so they all got a facebook button in the api?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bring back old gbs posted:

yes, that is the exact legal cowardice that corporations such as facebook hide behind to abuse their workforce. the workers are directly benefitting facebook, modifying the content on facebook's platform. they work for facebook.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

belgend posted:

tbf with all this talk about facebook, isn't one of the biggest problems that it's impossible to avoid even if you aren't a member because so much poo poo is web 2.0 now so they all got a facebook button in the api?

Yep. Same with Google and Twitter. Basically every website embeds those companies' analytics scripts which can be used to track you across websites. Even blocking cookies and scripts isn't a 100% surefire way of not being tracked since they can fingerprint you in a million other ways. I don't have any real evidence of this but I assume the "do not track" thing is mostly ignored too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
also, facebook analyzes the posts and data from your friends who still use facebook, to try and determine if they post anything about you

that's facebook's special sauce, and the reason they make such a big deal about their real name policy: if persons A and B happen to meet at a bar and hang out together, and then A mentions it in a Facebook post but B doesn't, then Facebook will apply what their algorithms learn from A's post to B as well. even if B isn't actually tagged in the post, and even if B isn't an active user

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Low Desert Punk posted:

You've been deemed to carry a higher risk for suicide so your insurance premiums and credit score will be adjusted accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Main Paineframe posted:

also, facebook analyzes the posts and data from your friends who still use facebook, to try and determine if they post anything about you

that's facebook's special sauce, and the reason they make such a big deal about their real name policy: if persons A and B happen to meet at a bar and hang out together, and then A mentions it in a Facebook post but B doesn't, then Facebook will apply what their algorithms learn from A's post to B as well. even if B isn't actually tagged in the post, and even if B isn't an active user

Also they gather unrelated information from third-party databases, it would seem.

It won't be surprising at all when it's announced google/facebook have been doing some friendly-competition shenanigans to trade data and de-anonymize everything. Or that reselling the correlated information has compromised intelligence sources and gotten a lot of people killed in homophobic countries, etc.