Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can any Britgoons point where PokeNewcastle is? Imma mumblespeak my Geordie heritage. (I know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

OhFunny posted:

"I did it Goons! I found and collected all the Pokemon threads!"

"W-why OhFunny?

"Umm...to catch them all?"

Let's Go to the Pokemon Thready Thread
Pokemon Megathread 6.0: You'd have to have mega stones to not play this.
Pokemon Megathread 5.1: Land of the Butterfree and home of the Braviary
POKeMON Black/White Megathread: This series is older than its demographic.
POKeMON Megathread: Black and White versions due March 6th, 2011 US (racism)
POKeMON Megathread: HeartGold/SoulSilver 3/14/2010 US, Generation V sometime 2010 JPN
POKeMON Megathread: Asperger's Version/Image Spam Version
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Heart Gold/Soul Silver: sweet merciful jesus
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: Platinum's out.
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: There is no Pokémon Platinum.
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl: Michael Vick sent out HOUNDOOM!
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: The Pokerus+Power item EV gain formula is 2(x+4)
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Battle Revolution: Milotic Evolution Helpline
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl: My Translator is Fight
Pokémon Megathread: Holy crap, Diamond and Pearl are out.
Pokémon Megathread: Lickilicky Five Dollah!
Pokémon Megathread: JE SUIS EMPOLEON
Pokémon Megathread - Here Comes a Special Boy!
Pokémon Megathread: Metagame Appreciation Station
Pokémon Megathread: Good Rods and Great Balls
Pokemon Megathread
Pokémon Megathread 942: Everyone Loves A Wooper
Pokémon Megathread: Proving God Wrong By Putting Him in a Pokéball
Pokemon Megathread - Don't Worry, We're Only 34 (Diamond/Pearl out in Japan)
Pokémon Megathread - Fire Monkey Edition (Diamond/Pearl out in Japan)
Pokémon Megathread - This thread will last twelve days.
Pokémon Megathread - Pork Fat and Bacon Grease Version
Pokémon Megathread Chapter the 87th: Because Mime Jr. is a stupid name
Pokémon Megathread: For Gardevoir discussion we're simply the breast!
We put the POKE in pokémon-MEGATHREAD! PS Diamond and Pearl are online
Pokémon Megathread 47: THE DS VERSION HAS ONLINE PLAY, YOU DUMBASS
Pokémon Megathread: Diamond and Pearl are nearly upon us!
POKéMON MEGATHREAD: Goons Unorthodoxly and Neatly Eradicating Smogon
POKéMON MEGATHREAD: Rancid Meat Version/Political Science Version
POKéMON Megathread: Fabulous Pink Version
POKEMON Megathread: Republican Version
Pokemon Megathread

This is awesome. It's so nostalgic to peek back at a time when everyone was obsessed with catching Feebas, and every moveset had Hidden Power (before the phys/spec. split!) It's also cool to find my own posts, talking about my original Emerald playthrough– I still have those Pokémon! They're all multi-region champions now, except Swampert who is stuck in HeartGold. I need to bring poor Namor up to Alola.

Calaveron posted:

Will there be more UBs do you think

Not a single one, ever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So will the team rockets of these games be the Jammers and the Home Wreckers?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TannerLPer/status/1101118647945183233

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

that does look a lot better, less plasticky shine

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Aww, I wanted the Pokemon to look all fuzzy and veiny like in the movie

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

While I like both styles, I do prefer the Gen 8. It keeps with the series "sprite based/cartoon" look while Let's Go's looks like the game it's a spin on, which is Pokémon Go. Both version are pretty faithful to the source.

I'm also surprised by how faithful the movie Pokémon look. These are characters and creatures that until now have ONLY lived as cartoons and sprites and what not, and yet I don't have any complaint with how they look in the movie. They look real without having been painted with a "grim dark" paint brush or some dumb poo poo. They're still recognizable and iconic. The only one I'm iffy about is Charizard because he has so much more detail in his scales that he actually resembles a scary dragon. In the games/anime he just looks like an orange chubster.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Sick. There were definitely some moments in the trailer that had that "living cartoon" look that BOTW captured so well. I think the final version of this game is going to look gorgeous

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

charizard should look a little scarier since the trailer makes it look like there's a chase scene where dp is running away from one

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I'm also surprised by how faithful the movie Pokémon look. These are characters and creatures that until now have ONLY lived as cartoons and sprites and what not, and yet I don't have any complaint with how they look in the movie. They look real without having been painted with a "grim dark" paint brush or some dumb poo poo. They're still recognizable and iconic. The only one I'm iffy about is Charizard because he has so much more detail in his scales that he actually resembles a scary dragon. In the games/anime he just looks like an orange chubster.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CG movies were a mistake. :gonk:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

That warm bunny is losing is proof that people have questionable taste...is what I'd say but anxiety is also very good.

The sheer amount of fanart Roger Rabbit's gotten says otherwise

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Solumin posted:

Wait will we get a David Bowie Pokemon??

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

See this looks horrifying but simultaneously cute as heck

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ikiro_pkmn/status/1100886486113648640

The Japanese Pokemon logo was updated to look like the one used in the rest of the world.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

mandatory lesbian posted:

Linearity isn't inherently bad and it's an empty criticism to me, it's okay to have to do things in a certain order

Like gen 2 was very non-linear and it ruined the level curve in a major way
This

I'm replaying White rn and it's just chill as heck, the scaling all feels right. Like Unova might as well be a straight circle but all the towns feel cool and different that I dont mind. This is a good straight line

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It would be pretty neat if Gen8 is open-world and does the Pokémon anime/manga thing where all of the trainers' teams change based on how many badges you currently have.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
There better not be any god drat snake pokemon in gen 8

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

whats your beef with snakes

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KungFu Grip posted:

Don't worry, Gym Leader Patrick drove them all out

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ratfathers/status/1100810746114592784?s=20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

After like 3 days of sorting and renaming I have completed my migration to Poke Bank. All the gens have their own group with enough boxes for their full dex + 1 extra box for breeding/training purposes. Turns out I didn’t really even try to get a completion on White so I’ll have to go back and do some hunting on that game otherwise I’m pretty much set to only play US for the time being, work on completing that dex then see if I can find X/Y for cheap at some point in the future.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/ikiro_pkmn/status/1100886486113648640

The Japanese Pokemon logo was updated to look like the one used in the rest of the world.

What did it look like before?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When you catch Unown, do you settle for one or go for the whole alphabet?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

mandatory lesbian posted:

Linearity isn't inherently bad and it's an empty criticism to me, it's okay to have to do things in a certain order

Like gen 2 was very non-linear and it ruined the level curve in a major way
:agreed:

I never understood the hard-on people had for non-linearity. It doesn't magically make a game better, and Gamefreak's shown they're not the best at balancing games to stay fun while being non-linear. I'd rather have a game balanced to be fun and have to do things linearly than have a boring mess that's non-linear.

Ariong posted:

What did it look like before?
Not yellow and blue:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mraagvpeine posted:

When you catch Unown, do you settle for one or go for the whole alphabet?

I did it once so I never have to do it again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lol @ this image. It's trying to be like "look how uncreative the American version of the logos are" but they conveniently leave out the parts of the logo that have the actual game names. Granted they still aren't as dynamic looking at the Japanese versions but they're not all just the basic Pokemon logo:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The English Pokemon logo looks 90s as hell

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Lol @ this image. It's trying to be like "look how uncreative the American version of the logos are" but they conveniently leave out the parts of the logo that have the actual game names. Granted they still aren't as dynamic looking at the Japanese versions but they're not all just the basic Pokemon logo:

I'm glad the english titles started using the japanese styles at HGSS

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

KungFu Grip posted:

Sobble will evolve into a water lamia

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
All the new starters are really really good but fire rabbit is the best, gonna go on an adventure with that bun

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This needs more looks. poo poo is hilarious. While we’re at it, can we get a National Lampoon’s “I can’t get left” Pokémon? Maybe it’s just a sad friend face that resembles Chevy Chase and rotates right constantly?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Chill Penguin posted:

Not a single one, ever.

All Ultra Beasts will be outright removed from the coding and the Pokedex numbering will be adjusted accordingly. All merchandise portraying UB's will be recalled/bought back by Nintendo and thrown in the incinerator. We have always been at war with EastAsia.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I am going to be really mad if my enormous water spider friend and enormous ghost bone-twirling friend are stuck in Ultra Moon forever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I got a hearty chuckle out of the Ello line.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ometeotl posted:

I am going to be really mad if my enormous water spider friend and enormous ghost bone-twirling friend are stuck in Ultra Moon forever.

They've done it before with special mons like Spike-eared Pichu or Az's Floette

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Violet_Sky posted:

The English Pokemon logo looks 90s as hell
I actually didn't like it back then, at all. :v: To my 12-year-old self, that logo made Pokémon look like it was exclusively targeted towards very young children (the fact the cartoon was dubbed didn't help, because in :finland: dubs were often reserved for stuff intended for preschool-age audiences who couldn't read subtitles), and obviously at that age you really don't want to be into any kiddie poo poo because you're supposed to be totally mature now and all that stuff.

Fortunately, everyone liked Pokémon in that final year of primary school, so nobody gave me any poo poo for playing the games or watching the show. Of course, then secondary school started a few months later and I quickly realized I shouldn't like Pokémon anymore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

El Burbo posted:

I'm glad the english titles started using the japanese styles at HGSS

I'm glad they stopped using "version" in the titles at XY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

They've done it before with special mons like Spike-eared Pichu or Az's Floette

AZ's Floette is stuck in non-existence officially though. It's an event that we never got and will never get.

It kind of sucks, honestly. That's a good-looking Floette.

Is this how AZ felt?