Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wargames posted:

What will this do?

If you have a 3840×2160 screen, you could run a 1920×1080 image perfectly crisp, one in game pixel to 4 screen pixels.
You'd only really care for performance reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

wargames posted:

What will this do?

It will make 1080p -> 4k upscaling not look like a blurry mess, and do it for free.

You would think that, since 1080p is exactly 1/4 a 4k screen, you could upscale to 4k simply by having each 1080p pixel double/double into a 2x2 pixel block in 4k. Except, for some dumb reason, neither AMD nor NVidia drivers actually allow this. They run it through one of a variety of algorithms (bicubic, etc), which has the net effect of making everything a bit blurry. The "upside" is that it's less blocky than a straight integer upscale might be, which is probably for the best when you're watching a movie, but there are plenty of games and applications where you don't really want that sort of thing going on.

It'd be a fairly trivial add, which I think is a big part of what annoys most people in terms of it not existing.

e; It's what people complain about when FTL or other "pixel art" games (or retro games) look like a blurry mess on a high-resolution monitor: where integer scaling would allow them to be upscaled and keep the "blocky goodness," current implementations try to smooth everything out, ruining the effect.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 27, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DrDork posted:

It will make 1080p -> 4k upscaling not look like a blurry mess, and do it for free.

You would think that, since 1080p is exactly 1/4 a 4k screen, you could upscale to 4k simply by having each 1080p pixel double/double into a 2x2 pixel block in 4k. Except, for some dumb reason, neither AMD nor NVidia drivers actually allow this. They run it through one of a variety of algorithms (bicubic, etc), which has the net effect of making everything a bit blurry. The "upside" is that it's less blocky than a straight integer upscale might be, which is probably for the best when you're watching a movie, but there are plenty of games and applications where you don't really want that sort of thing going on.

It'd be a fairly trivial add, which I think is a big part of what annoys most people in terms of it not existing.

e; It's what people complain about when FTL or other "pixel art" games (or retro games) look like a blurry mess on a high-resolution monitor: where integer scaling would allow them to be upscaled and keep the "blocky goodness," current implementations try to smooth everything out, ruining the effect.

Yeah, upscaling is not trivial at all, you are essentially showing more information than in the given image, so quality depends on whether you know anything about the original you're going for and can do something about it. A lot of emulators for the NES and such use really convoluted algorithms to make sure a bunch of the pixel art stays nice, and it doesn't always work well, and those are different than, say, trying to upscale nature images.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Upscaling to arbitrary resolutions is, indeed, non-trivial. Integer scaling, on the other hand, isn't terribly complex by comparison. Yeah, locking it to integer-only multiples seriously restricts the number of resolutions you can actually utilize it on (1080 -> 4k being the most common), but you can expand the usability of it by allowing for padding--effectively letterboxing it to make it fit the actual screen resolution.

Nearest-Neighbor isn't exactly ground-breaking science or anything, and has been implemented in the Linux NVidia driver (and DOSBox and a variety of other emulators) for years.

The response from AMD/NVidia has generally been "not enough demand signal from you niche weirdos" not "it's too hard."

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

DrDork posted:

I'd really like a mobile dGPU I can feel good about buying into for a few years.

The mobile dGPU you are looking for is something in 7nm.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

DrDork posted:

Could this help VR if they have super hires screens in them? Also once another i really like the amd driver team, whole they aren't 100% perfect they have been darn good the past 2-3 years.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wargames posted:

Also once another i really like the amd driver team, whole they aren't 100% perfect they have been darn good the past 2-3 years.

At least if you didn't play Overwatch during that embarrassingly long time it was an issue. That said, NVidia's driver team is releasing some real nuggets (of poo poo) lately, if you look at the known issues list with the latest couple of releases.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wargames posted:

Could this help VR if they have super hires screens in them?

there's never a 1:1 mapping between rendered pixels and display pixels in vr (they use a curved mapping to counter lens distortion) so a 2:1 mapping wouldn't be any better

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

orcane posted:

You know they'll also release a cut-down 1650 that loses half the memory bandwith or something, and shitboxes will use that because it saves 10 bucks :v:
Just like they did with some 9800GT’s, those bastards.

But I was thinking along the lines of buying any recent off lease i5 box with a PCI-E slot for $200 and slapping a 1650/1650ti in there and calling it a day.

Something cheap and low effort enough for me to get my brothers back on gaming PC’s really.

I did that with GT 240’s or 9800gt’s back in the day, but it’s time to get them into something modern.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

orcane posted:

You know they'll also release a cut-down 1650 that loses half the memory bandwith or something, and shitboxes will use that because it saves 10 bucks :v:

you mean the yet-unannounced GT1630

which already does exist as the announced MX250 (an entire 5% performance over the MX150)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The weirdest part of buying a 2080 is the bizarre realization that Divinity 2 has the best graphics I've seen in 4k/60.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Geemer posted:

That said, NVidia's driver team is releasing some real nuggets (of poo poo) lately, if you look at the known issues list with the latest couple of releases.
Running a single monitor I've seemed to avoid many of the problems you guys talk about with nvidia drivers (actually the last time I had any issues involved 32x.xx drivers on a 6 series card) but that changed recently: 418.81 drivers (on a 1080ti) had my machine locking up at random, but only during light usage - it never happened while playing games, mostly I'd be browsing and I'd see the UI become unresponsive to clicks/input, then a few seconds later the cursor itself would become unresponsive, and the only way to fix things was resetting.

I tried a bunch of stuff to fix it including relaxing RAM timings, disabling CPU overclock, and I even pulled computer apart (taking everything out except for mobo, cpu and psu) to clean/reseat things, then I thought "well the goons are always whinging about nvidia drivers, and I did update them lately", I installed 419.17 and haven't seen one lockup since. I think I'll go back to only updating them when I have a real good reason to.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Fuzz1111 posted:

I think I'll go back to only updating them when I have a real good reason to.

I've been on this mindset for a loooooong time, which is why I'm still on 397.93 and haven't had issues. But I might have to update to get those security updates that were included in the recent version.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

DrDork posted:

locking it to integer-only multiples seriously restricts the number of resolutions you can actually utilize it on (1080 -> 4k being the most common)

This isn’t always true. Take 5120x2880 panels for instance. You can display content at quite a few standard resolutions e.g.

1440p
960p
720p
576p
480p
320p
288p
240p

Gaming on a 5k iMac will actually viable now IMO.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 27, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

$280 Vega 56 is back:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137263

e: lol already gone

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 28, 2019

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

vega56 around the 280-320 mark and 3 free games is a great deal same with 1070/ti

Reality
Sep 26, 2010
My $280 Vega 56 came today and it is loud. Not distractingly loud like intel cpu fan coolers but noticeable over my gtx 970.

Wattman is mind boggling coming from nvidia drivers though. All the sliders....

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DrDork posted:

Upscaling to arbitrary resolutions is, indeed, non-trivial. Integer scaling, on the other hand, isn't terribly complex by comparison. Yeah, locking it to integer-only multiples seriously restricts the number of resolutions you can actually utilize it on (1080 -> 4k being the most common), but you can expand the usability of it by allowing for padding--effectively letterboxing it to make it fit the actual screen resolution.

Nearest-Neighbor isn't exactly ground-breaking science or anything, and has been implemented in the Linux NVidia driver (and DOSBox and a variety of other emulators) for years.

The response from AMD/NVidia has generally been "not enough demand signal from you niche weirdos" not "it's too hard."

The upscaling I'm talking about is integer. It's still non-trivial to have it not seem pixelated or keep it pixelated in the same way. See this discussion for example.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Reality posted:

My $280 Vega 56 came today and it is loud. Not distractingly loud like intel cpu fan coolers but noticeable over my gtx 970.

Wattman is mind boggling coming from nvidia drivers though. All the sliders....

Is that the red dragon vega56 or blower style?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wargames posted:

Is that the red dragon vega56 or blower style?

They are blower cards.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

They are blower cards.

So we are going to see alot of aftermarket coolers/watercooling solutions then. Because the red dragon one doesn't need it because fanless mode is best mode.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

So yeah, even though patched Metro Exodus DLSS is better than before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaifAffhZw
Surprise, surprise, it just isn't anything special compared to basic upscaling, and basic upscaling with a slight sharpening filter is just flat out superior in both performance and image quality.

vv I'm just tempering expectations, there are some people that seem to think DLSS is somehow magic. I actually had high hopes for it, too

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 28, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

HalloKitty posted:

So yeah, even though patched Metro Exodus DLSS is better than before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaifAffhZw
Surprise, surprise, it just isn't anything special compared to basic upscaling, and basic upscaling with a slight sharpening filter is just flat out superior in both performance and image quality.

surprise surprise brand new tech needs time to stretch its legs before it can run smoothly

i dont even have an RTX card and probably wont until next gen but like, cmon lol

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well I was actually within a stones throw of Frys as it opened today, and was able to actually grab a coupon on a day they also had GPU's in stock.

So am EVGA 2080 XC Ultra for ~$690 after tax with a $20 rebate on top of that isn't too bad right? About the same price as my 980Ti back in 2016 when I had to grab it for VR sake. They were out of the $550 MSI 2080's unfortunately.

Now does anyone want a good deal on an ASUS ROG Strix 980Ti?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

surprise surprise brand new tech needs time to stretch its legs before it can run smoothly

i dont even have an RTX card and probably wont until next gen but like, cmon lol

If you dedicate a bunch of hardware to a specific feature that only works in a few games, it would be nice if it was actually at least a little bit better than the simple algorithms it's supposed to be replacing, 6 months on.

That said, why would you release a 1080p video comparing visual fidelity of 4k DLSS vs upscaling + sharpening? :psyduck:

E: Most of HU's other videos are 4k, so it's probably just still encoding...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 28, 2019

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Stickman posted:

That said, why would you release a 1080p video comparing visual fidelity of 4k DLSS vs upscaling + sharpening? :psyduck:

That and compressed video means it's going to be harder to tell a difference between game settings anyway.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well I was actually within a stones throw of Frys as it opened today, and was able to actually grab a coupon on a day they also had GPU's in stock.

So am EVGA 2080 XC Ultra for ~$690 after tax with a $20 rebate on top of that isn't too bad right? About the same price as my 980Ti back in 2016 when I had to grab it for VR sake. They were out of the $550 MSI 2080's unfortunately.

Now does anyone want a good deal on an ASUS ROG Strix 980Ti?

i think you got a decent deal on a powerful card

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's definitely a good deal - that's as cheap as the cheapest 2080s online, and the Ultra is a decent cooling/OC boost over the baseline models.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I struggle to see much difference between RT on or off in Metro when actually playing. I mean besides the fairly significant fps hit. Though I currently am not running DLSS either since it's screwed up on ultra wide resolutions so I'm interested in trying it again when they fix that.

I am still pretty happy with my 2080 upgrade. I got an OC one on sale for $660 ish with a couple free games and it's a significant upgrade over my 1070. I imagine I'd be less happy if I had a 1070 ti / 1080/ 1080 ti where the performance difference wouldn't be so noticeable.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Inept posted:

That and compressed video means it's going to be harder to tell a difference between game settings anyway.

I agree, which is why it's better to trust in the conclusions drawn by the video as opposed to purely relying on the compressed YouTube feed

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Geemer posted:

I've been on this mindset for a loooooong time, which is why I'm still on 397.93 and haven't had issues. But I might have to update to get those security updates that were included in the recent version.

This is why i'm still on nvidia drivers v388.71 and windows 10 version 1709. I remember when monster hunter world came out. So many people had problems but I didn't, it was all due to the drivers. I won't upgrade until I see a reason too, like a game I care about really hurting in performance or something.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The upscaling I'm talking about is integer. It's still non-trivial to have it not seem pixelated or keep it pixelated in the same way. See this discussion for example.

when nerds refer to integer scaling they're talking about the trivial case of integer nearest neighbour, explicitly without any of the smoothing algos you linked to, e.g., http://tanalin.com/en/articles/lossless-scaling/

this is exactly the confusion being fought by the petitioning: "but it's super complex to blend the colours because otherwise it'll look really jaggy" yes the jagginess is the point thank you "but surely nobody wants that why would anyone want that"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ronya posted:

when nerds refer to integer scaling they're talking about the trivial case of integer nearest neighbour, explicitly without any of the smoothing algos you linked to, e.g., http://tanalin.com/en/articles/lossless-scaling/

this is exactly the confusion being fought by the petitioning: "but it's super complex to blend the colours because otherwise it'll look really jaggy" yes the jagginess is the point thank you "but surely nobody wants that why would anyone want that"

Is just plain upsampling using a nearest-neighbor texture sample that big of a performance hit, if that's what you really want?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
sprites, not textures. The blurring is most obvious on UI elements with contrasting borders, like crosshairs

either way, that would be in the hands of developers rather than end users, though

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ronya posted:

sprites, not textures. The blurring is most obvious on UI elements with contrasting borders, like crosshairs

either way, that would be in the hands of developers rather than end users, though

Sprites are just textures sampled to screen-facing quads under orthographic projection these days. :shrug:

I guess blitting would do the same work, too, but I think it uses pretty much the same hardware units behind the scenes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sprites are just textures sampled to screen-facing quads under orthographic projection these days. :shrug:

I guess blitting would do the same work, too, but I think it uses pretty much the same hardware units behind the scenes.

There are plenty of options for devs to include various scaling techniques, but the point of putting it in the control panel is to allow the end user to choose the upscaling algorithm. Bilinear upscaling can cause some serious blurring/artifacts even at distances where nearest-neighbor pixelization might not be apparent, especially in games with pixel art. It's an easy add, and good to give end-users options (doubly-so if they can be set per-game).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
again it's not about options available to developers for scaling individual objects, but about controlling upscaling behaviour for the whole screen

elements on the screen which are not functionally raster sprites (e..g text) would all be jaggy, but that would be acceptable losses

I think the entire demand for it stems from the particular market conditions where 4k monitors are cheap enough for people to be buying one to surf the internet, but without a GPU able to drive games at 4k

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 1, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
You just cant post that and not link the thread from which it came!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Not having that image be a url as well is heresy