Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

What warplane would you name your child after

This is my son, IL-2 Sturmovik, a my daughter, Lavochkin La-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

StandardVC10 posted:

(Steps into the office of Hawker Hunter, private investigator)

Most RAF aircraft would make killer nicknames. Most.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

(Steps into the office of Hawker Hunter, private investigator)

The protagonist of the Wingman series is named Hawk Hunter after that plane. Unfortunately I ended up discontinuing my Let's Read midway through the fifth book due to lack of interest, but it's still up in the archives if you want to read some pulp trash.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whatever you do don't name your kid Starfighter unless you want them going down on a bunch of Germans.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Soviet or US aligned?

Well, Berlin 1945, Lets assume Pro-Hitler Space Marine. So... a word bearer?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

zoux posted:

Whatever you do don't name your kid Starfighter unless you want them going down on a bunch of Germans.

:perfect:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Space marine armour can't stand up to tank shells.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

What was Allied Space Marine-destroyer doctrine at the time

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_Bingham_Swire

I heard from someone who met this guy that he's literally named after the engine. Sounds farfetched but maybe not impossible, since his dad owned a Spitfire as a civilian pilot.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

StandardVC10 posted:

"Blackburn Firebrand" would be a pretty good name for a heavy metal guitarist, actually
Actually for all of their horrible record in making aircraft, Blackburn could make names:

Blackburn Blackburn

Blackburn Roc

Blackburn Firecrest

Blackburn Buccaneer

I think Firecrest is the best guitarist name, but Roc is a good name for a drummer.

Saint Celestine posted:

What would happen if you dropped a space marine into Berlin in 1945?
Splat, if you drop him from high enough.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

My son's full name is Stratofortress but we just call him BUFF

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like this thread would appreciate this video. Slow motion footage of a Sherman firing where you can see the shockwave in the air, and the...uh...artillery deflective properties of watermelons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJ8EoGmLuE

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like this thread would appreciate this video. Slow motion footage of a Sherman firing where you can see the shockwave in the air, and the...uh...artillery deflective properties of watermelons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJ8EoGmLuE

I had no idea tank rounds could wobble like that. I mean it makes sense, but I figure at such short ranges it would have much more stable flight.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

FrangibleCover posted:

Whichever side gets it wins handily, being able to shoot down every plane that came in range of the carriers that day without even troubling the CAP. If Japan gets it the US just builds a bunch more carriers and wins the war. If the US get it they don't have to build one more carrier but do so anyway and win the war.

One Shot Superweapon hypotheticals are boring. Wars generally don't work like that.

Pedantic but it’s worth looking at the numbers here because it’s fun.

Assuming we drop in a Tico, you have 122 VLS. Even with a 100% SM-2 load, you still only have the load for about half of the air losses either side took, which itself was only a portion of the total air wings. Also, assuming SM-2s, they are still semi-active and require the ship to illuminate each target for terminal guidance. Depending on the formations of WW2 this might be a little iffy in terms of 1 missile = 1 target.

It would be a dramatic improvement in firepower but single handily wiping out the air threat is probably a stretch. Simply having something like a SPY-1 available would be significant itself though. SeaRAM and Phalanx are both kind of a wash because theyre pretty limited in engagement profile and range, but would probably get a few extra.

Now quad packing ESSMs could be close but you still kind of hit saturation. Would be interesting.

Ice Fist posted:

I had no idea tank rounds could wobble like that. I mean it makes sense, but I figure at such short ranges it would have much more stable flight.

There’s a good chance the rifling on that 76mm is pretty worn out. Notice the D-20 shot is straight as hell till it ends those watermelons.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 28, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1100922052272447488

people on both sides named their newborns for battlefields during the ACW

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

zoux posted:

That tweet's mistaken; the kid's just named Mirage Singh Rathore, not Mirage 2000, which isn't quite as cool.

For myself- Martin is an easy answer, if a bit cheaty, or Mitchell. Rafale would also be kinda fun; "Oh, Raphael, like the Renaissance painter?" "No, like the French jet."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ice Fist posted:

it's just a giant musket, isn't it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

it's just a giant musket, isn't it

Unless you're :britain: anyway luv 2 rifle things

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
That 76mm is rifled, it’s likely just not in the best of shape being the one of last ones that can shoot in existence.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FrangibleCover posted:

Splat, if you drop him from high enough.

Assault marines have jetpacks :colbert:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ice Fist posted:

Atmosphere is pretty drat hard when velocity increases (the same thing can be said of liquid - the same water that feels soft when you touch it lightly will try to bruise you when you jump from a tower). Adding more alphabets to the shell's acronym seems to help?!? :iiam:

Mazz posted:

That 76mm is rifled, it’s likely just not in the best of shape being the one of last ones that can shoot in existence.

Could be this, too.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

The three meter tall brightly coloured shouty man gets taken out by a conscript from Georgia, who is amazed that he actually found a target appropriate for his PTRD AT rifle that hasn't been worth a drat since 1941 but he's had to carry for the past five hundred kilometers anyway.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mazz posted:

How many repairs can be made to it after all the spare parts supply has been depleted so that any replacement parts have to be made from scratch?

I wonder this a lot with so many modern products being made in massive factories with specialized equipment, how much can't actually be made without industrial economies of scale? Which is relevant for societies without an industrial base trying to make their own weapons, as well as post-apocalyptic sci fi where society never worked its way back towards re-industrialization.

I read through Nausicaä recently, and that was really on my mind with all the cobbled-together airships.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

This question may be better for the cold war thread but I'll ask here anyway.

When did NATO start using reporting names for Soviet military aircraft?
Also:
Why did they limit it to aircraft and missiles? The T-55 could have had a sweet sounding name like "Death Bear"
Did the Soviets themselves ever use the reporting names in an unofficial fashion? Not sure how "Fishbed" would translate to Russian.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The US used reporting names for Japanese aircraft so I’d be surprised if NATO didn’t do it right off the bat.

If I had to guess id say they used reporting names with Japanese and Russian aircraft because we don’t share an alphabet with them.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Mazz posted:

Assuming we drop in a Tico, you have 122 VLS. Even with a 100% SM-2 load, you still only have the load for about half of the air losses either side took, which itself was only a portion of the total air wings. Also, assuming SM-2s, they are still semi-active and require the ship to illuminate each target for terminal guidance. Depending on the formations of WW2 this might be a little iffy in terms of 1 missile = 1 target.

It would be a dramatic improvement in firepower but single handily wiping out the air threat is probably a stretch. Simply having something like a SPY-1 available would be significant itself though. SeaRAM and Phalanx are both kind of a wash because theyre pretty limited in engagement profile and range, but would probably get a few extra.

Now quad packing ESSMs could be close but you still kind of hit saturation. Would be interesting.

There’s a good chance the rifling on that 76mm is pretty worn out. Notice the D-20 shot is straight as hell till it ends those watermelons.

The tico still has 2 5 inch guns with modern fc.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

SlothfulCobra posted:

How many repairs can be made to it after all the spare parts supply has been depleted so that any replacement parts have to be made from scratch?

I wonder this a lot with so many modern products being made in massive factories with specialized equipment, how much can't actually be made without industrial economies of scale? Which is relevant for societies without an industrial base trying to make their own weapons, as well as post-apocalyptic sci fi where society never worked its way back towards re-industrialization.

I read through Nausicaä recently, and that was really on my mind with all the cobbled-together airships.

It’s very situational and depends very much on the product in question. For instance, you can fabricate the physical barrel of the 76mm if you know the dimensions, rifling, and mounting procedures. Paying someone to do that as a custom job is pricy but very attainable.

Compare that to reproducing something like a Me-262 whole cloth, or, further still, restarting production of the F-22 like the USAF considered. The big issues there are the loss of institutional knowledge, custom tooling and procedures that you have to re learn or completely recreate from stratch. This can often cost as much or moreas just making something new.

Every time you want to make something old new again there’s a lot of specific questions of how that won’t have clean cut generic answers.

As for high tech stuff, that stuff is generally built up over generations of progress so getting to that point is the hardest part, especially in regards to the knowledge involved. Nobody in a Mad Max universe is making turbofans from scratch, but people with the engineering and metallurgy knowledge could probably do a lot of impressive stuff in time.

vuk83 posted:

True, I was discounting it somewhat but they do carry anti-aircraft fuses so that would be a bit more. I still don’t think it pushes it into single handily stopping the air element of either side at Midway but it would be an extreme force multiplier.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 28, 2019

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Did the Soviets themselves ever use the reporting names in an unofficial fashion? Not sure how "Fishbed" would translate to Russian.

Not often, but supposedly crews did appreciate the "Fulcrum" nickname for the MiG-29.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

vuk83 posted:

Do those even have much in the way of armor piercing? I'd imagine they'd have trouble scratching a WW2 cruiser, let alone a battleship.

Like modern military ships have basically nothing in terms of armor compared to their WW2 counterparts and I'm assuming their gun performance reflects that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

The US used reporting names for Japanese aircraft so I’d be surprised if NATO didn’t do it right off the bat.

If I had to guess id say they used reporting names with Japanese and Russian aircraft because we don’t share an alphabet with them.

I'm naming my son Fishbed.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Mazz posted:

What would it take to get a new barrel for a 76mm Sherman? I assume it'd be ungodly expensive and not at all worth it for how often its fired and the guy who owns it doesn't exactly need to worry about the German army rolling through. But I'm just curious. Is the tooling particularly specialized in this case?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Ice Fist posted:

What would it take to get a new barrel for a 76mm Sherman? I assume it'd be ungodly expensive and not at all worth it for how often its fired and the guy who owns it doesn't exactly need to worry about the German army rolling through. But I'm just curious. Is the tooling particularly specialized in this case?

A big lathe and drill press...? It’s a big cylinder of the right type of metal with a hole drilled through it.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

I cant imagine how it would be. A tank barrel is not particularly difficult to forge, as its really just a large thick steel cylinder.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Typhoon if it is a daughter, Tornado if it is a son

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Ice Fist posted:

Kind of what I was going for in the other post but yeah as mentioned it’s pretty sinple from a machining standpoint, but you do need to get the dimensions and rifling twist correct to get the right results. Also idk how the mounting of a tank barrel actually works so whatever extra steps are involved there but nothing about it is inherently complex.

The cost is basically how many people have the machining equipment for it and how much it’s costs for them to do a one-off of something specific like that for you.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 28, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

one (1) SM-6 through the deck of each enemy carrier

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Do those even have much in the way of armor piercing? I'd imagine they'd have trouble scratching a WW2 cruiser, let alone a battleship.

Like modern military ships have basically nothing in terms of armor compared to their WW2 counterparts and I'm assuming their gun performance reflects that.

Destroyers and light cruisers didn't really have armor anyway, so they would not enjoy being on the receiving end of a Tico's guns, but they could probably push through and defeat the modern ship in a gun duel. Heavy cruisers and battleships would have impenetrable armor belts, but the modern gun would wreck their superstructures, which they would not enjoy. Absent a golden BB, they could probably sink the Tico if they could get her in range.

The SM-2 in surface attack mode would probably really discourage anyone from chasing a Tico too aggresively, though. I can't find a reference but I think they're top attack weapons, which means they'd go right through the deck of most WWII ships and punch some nasty holes. Even if it didn't kill or mission kill the target, the nature of the weapon and the severity of the damage would make most captains think twice about their tactics.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

zoux posted:

Lisbeth Kukuruznik and Ada Jacqueline Susan Viggen.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 28, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

An Aegis cruiser would probably be far more useful on defense than offense since it'd run out of anti-ship missiles quickly, whereas a pair of Phalanx guns would create a black hole for WWII torpedo and dive bombers and they could easily make more 20mm ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tythas posted:

Rafale or Gripen for sure , also the names sound more normal than all the others

You will be pleased to know I have a Polish born cousin named Rafal. He was born before the Rafale was a thing though.