Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Alaan posted:

Yeah in any field you want to at least start by looking at the current consensus of experts. The field CAN be collectively wrong but it's less likely than one person or organization going "No I know the real answer!"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton%27s_fence :
In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, "I don't see the use of this; let us clear it away." To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: "If you don't see the use of it, I certainly won't let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Spotted some (fake) airpower in the sidebar.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bewbies posted:

this is insidious

It's a fun class!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Shocking news wrt to used aussie jets (not shocking)

quote:

OTTAWA -- Parliament's budget watchdog says the Department of National Defence might have deliberately lowballed the cost of buying and flying second-hand fighter jets from Australia by $200 million.

The analysis is only the latest from the parliamentary budget office to conclude that the department underestimated the cost of a major military purchase, starting with aborted plans to buy F-35 stealth fighters back in 2011.

But budget officer Yves Giroux says the key difference from those earlier studies is this purchase doesn't involve a new piece of equipment and the Australian planes are very similar to Canada's existing fleet of CF-18s, which the used jets are to supplement until Canada replaces its fighter fleet.

As a result, he says, the department should have been able to produce extremely accurate estimates for how much it would cost to buy, upgrade and operate the 18 Australian planes for the next decade.

Instead, his office’s analysis says the actual cost will be 22 per cent higher than what has been reported by the department.
In raw dollars, the report says, taxpayers will be asked to pay $1.1 billion rather than $900 million.

Giroux said he was perplexed by the department's figures, arguing it should have been able to be more accurate. He wondered whether officials might have intentionally "tweaked" the figures to prevent sticker shock or scrutiny.

I mean it isn’t even surprising at this point.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Here's India's story about the recent kerfuffle in Kashmir. How believable is this tale?

https://twitter.com/KashmirIntel/status/1101105653320282114

https://twitter.com/KashmirIntel/status/1101106042690142211

https://twitter.com/KashmirIntel/status/1101106575844925440

https://twitter.com/KashmirIntel/status/1101107725088354304

https://twitter.com/KashmirIntel/status/1101106731910746112

https://twitter.com/KashmirIntel/status/1101108332041891840

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

I've got background in manufacturing QC statistics and what mortabis said is completely reasonable. I don't admit that lightly.

Yeah, in my heart of hearts, I know this. I just have a severe distrust of insurance companies and a well-meaning, honest actuary, physician, expert, whoever can be misused by companies in the US health system to generate profits rather than provide better care/compensation. It does not help that "Gulf War Syndrome" is an incredibly vague term given that any number of people were messed up post-war, but it's not like there was some singular Gulf War mist of malaise that caused issues, which makes it a double edged sword. Suspicion when any old vet says they have maladies from the war without proper documentation, but also vets who cannot specifically prove that a war where they sucked in any number of awful things had a direct impact on their health.

Hence why I called it my bias rather than my evidence/logic/etc. Companies often use good people and their work to do not so good things. See also: militaries/governments!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That Works posted:

I had a quiz question last week that was "Explain why Dr. That Works is a valid authority on the electoral process of Rhode Island." (I am a microbiologist). Only 1 out of 35 students answered "he's not"

I'm still bummed about it.

Critical thinking skills should be taught at every level of education.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
There’s a whole lot of context needed to validate the responses to that kind of question though. I’m going to assume That Works made that kind of message clear in his lessons because he’s mentioned it before but it is extremely easy to see how a student (especially students who don’t pay full attention) could see that in the wrong light or as a loaded question. I don’t know many students who would willingly answer that in the negative in the middle of a test by that same teacher, almost as a element of self-preservation.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 28, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

R-73 armed mig 21s? :stwoon:

DCS please. I need this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/RSU6Iwe.mp4

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Captain von Trapp posted:

Well, for instance I'm an optical engineer for a huge defense contractor. One of the items on my performance evaluation is explicitly pretty much "how did you contribute to the financial health of the company”, and the answer to that question affects my pay. So I and similarly situated people are in theory way more compromised than an actuary whose company is presumably not involved in the GWS issue. But that doesn't mean I'm not giving my honest opinion when I post.

If your evaluation were based on your SA posting, the logic would work. What you're right about is that asking people that question in that situation is dumb as gently caress. Most people are not Ron Swanson.

Explosionface posted:

He often mentioned being stationed off Da Nang, so yeah, Yankee Station should cover that. I also think he did, in fact, go ashore and even had to do a couple of river patrols.

He was a Radarman who was later converted to an EW when that rating was created. He told stories sometimes about doing air traffic control for F-4s and the like and how he lost a lot of them simply due to running out of fuel :smith:.

A good time to post Pardo's Push:
TLDR is that Pardo's wingman got his F-4 chewed up by AAA near Hanoi and was rapidly lost fuel. He dropped his tail hook, Pardo put his forward windscreen against it, and reduced the loss of altitude. The hook slipped off every 15-30 seconds, and Pardo lost an engine along the way, but 90 miles later they ejected over Laos, evaded capture, and were rescued. Pardo was almost court martialed, but in 1989 both pilots got silver stars.

Edit: I don't remember seeing this posted in here: F-15C fires off missiles instead of jettisoning after emergency
I haven't heard anything about it besides what this story says, but I'm REALLY interested in how it turns out for that pilot. :lol:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 28, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dumping ordnance before making a potentially dangerous landing at a civilian airport seems pretty reasonable to me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Edit: I don't remember seeing this posted in here: F-15C fires off missiles instead of jettisoning after emergency
I haven't heard anything about it besides what this story says, but I'm REALLY interested in how it turns out for that pilot. :lol:

Landing gear problem means it could've turned into a belly landing during which having a wing full of missiles hit the ground seems like a bad idea?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The salient bit is probably accidentally firing them rather than just dumping them. I would strongly suspect that if you're in that situation everyone prefers that you dump your missiles like really oddly shaped bombs someplace that doesn't look like a school or orphanage rather than just having them jet off over yonder.

God only knows how/if those arm and how that's affected by jettisoning vs. firing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Thanks! Not like I needed to sleep or anything. :awesomelon:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The salient bit is probably accidentally firing them rather than just dumping them. I would strongly suspect that if you're in that situation everyone prefers that you dump your missiles like really oddly shaped bombs someplace that doesn't look like a school or orphanage rather than just having them jet off over yonder.

God only knows how/if those arm and how that's affected by jettisoning vs. firing.

I gathered they were intentionally sent ballistic into the ocean to avoid also dumping the pylons and external tanks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ah, thought itw as a mistake launch. No idea then.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If the article isn't full of poo poo:

quote:

The missiles were fired instead of dropped for a number of factors. First, the underwing missiles cannot be jettisoned without also dropping the pylons and the aircraft's wing tanks. Second, hitting the water at high mach speeds damages the missiles severely, if not destroying them altogether.

Then it goes on to say that missiles are expensive but I don't think money is saved by jettisoning them.

Perhaps jettisoning them over a stack of mattresses, but that was the ANG, not the USMC, they don't think as much outside the box.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've thought about it for a bit and I think the likeliest scenario is that there was a problem with the jettison system. Video of the landing shows him carrying his drop tanks, and my understanding is you can't drop missiles without dropping tanks.

So if for whatever reason the tanks won't drop and you don't want to carry explosives back with you, you're gonna have to shoot the missiles.

Now, the more important question is if he got to call "splash!" over the radio when they hit the water.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
“Mad dog”

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just as long as he doesn't have to call "broken arrow"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mlmp08 posted:

“Mad dog”

...And the frequency got oddly silent.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A.o.D. posted:

Just as long as he doesn't have to call "broken arrow"

Nuclear AMRAAMs would be loving awesome.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

Bring back the Genie.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bring back the Genie.

India could use it. I remember it being quite effective against F-16s.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
https://news.usni.org/2019/02/28/navy-declares-initial-operational-capability-for-f-35c-joint-strike-fighter

quote:

The Navy declared today that its F-35C Joint Strike Fighter was operationally ready to deploy and conduct missions around the world.

The initial operational capability (IOC) declaration comes after the Navy’s first F-35C squadron, Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 147, conducted aircraft carrier qualifications aboard USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) in early December, received its safe-for-flight operations certification on Dec. 12 and spent the intervening weeks working with the Navy’s test community to prove it could operate and maintain the new stealthy jets.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Anyone want to start a betting pool for the first official grounding?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Godholio posted:

And the tech is already out there to do it. Just stick a W54 warhead on top...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Its a brand new aircraft. Probably in a few weeks. That type of stuff is expected.

Hell look at the number of times the F-14 was grounded in its first year of active service...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What, like on a reef?

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"Boeing tanker jets grounded due to tools and debris left during manufacturing"

https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...rticle_left_1.1

Boeing clearly has their A-team working on the KC-46 program.

Tanker woes crosspost.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 1, 2019

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Aperture Science Turret AI v.011a (NO LIVE FIRE TESTING) posted:

are you still there

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wouldn't bet on anything serious. If anything the number of mishaps (crashes etc) in the F-35 program has been astonishingly low.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hauldren Collider posted:

I wouldn't bet on anything serious. If anything the number of mishaps (crashes etc) in the F-35 program has been astonishingly low.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This got posted in the scale model thread and I must repost it here:

FrozenVent posted:

The quality of shipyard models [IE the models shipyards make of ships they are constructing] is... uneven, by the way. It’s been my anecdotal experience that the better the display model, the longer lasting the ship is.

Midjack posted:

This sounds like the foundation of a modern superstition that you can really turn into something. Or some Dorian Gray thing. :v:

FrozenVent posted:

Nah it’s pure economics - cheap rear end shipyards turn out cheap rear end ships and skimp on the models too.

Kind of like how if you walk down to bottom of a ship’s engine room and your hands are still clean, you probably don’t need to inspect much, because if they’re keeping the handrails clean they’ve already got everything else clean.

I think Davos, Irving, and Seaspan need a sneaky assessment of their ship models ASAP

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Wedding Crashers 2 looking good.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

You joke but there's only been one airframe loss iirc in the entire program, and it was last year. The caution has paid off.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mlmp08 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJ8EoGmLuE
In case these guys annoy you, the shot around 14:30 is worth seeing if nothing else

Video presenters gushing on and on about how this is the coolest footage they've ever gotten is intrinsically annoying. It's just that in this case it's objectively true, they're never shooting anything as awesome as this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Video presenters gushing on and on about how this is the coolest footage they've ever gotten is intrinsically annoying. It's just that in this case it's objectively true, they're never shooting anything as awesome as this.

I hate that channel but like that video.

I'd love a supercut of their videos that's just the actual thing happening with a title card saying what it is. I don't need you babbling for 10 minutes about throwing a pound of lithium in a swimming pool. Just tell me what the spectacle is then do it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd love a supercut of their videos that's just the actual thing happening with a title card saying what it is. I don't need you babbling for 10 minutes about throwing a pound of lithium in a swimming pool. Just tell me what the spectacle is then do it.

Yeah.

This is very :bahgawd: of me, but I swear video game hints/tips/tutorials used to be waaaaay better.

Say you're playing some RPG in 2001 and don't know where the gently caress the McGuffin is, you could Netscape search and find a basic-rear end site with a few sentences and maybe a screencap showing you where the hidden chest is.

Nowadays the first 60 seconds of any video is "Hey, guys, L33tZor 24/7 69 here with another video for all my L33tZoners, today we're gonna talk about finding an item that's a lot of trouble for players to find. Here's what I'm talking about [smash-cut of people complaining they can't find it]

*two minutes later*

Anyway, you exit the tavern and take two rights and a left, please feel free to comment like and subscribe"

JUST loving SHOW ME THE THING

It occurs to me after I posted that Cyrano almost described this as his ideal for videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pboWjatSdWg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Cyrano4747 posted:

At the University of Central Florida there's a pretty big fountain/reflecting pool out in front of the library which is a pretty high traffic area of the campus. Apparently like a decade or so before I went there it was popular for the science students to abscond with some sodium or lithium from the lab and toss it in the pool.

Try that nowadays and you'd probably be arrested and expelled.