Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
See you in the cat piss thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

No. You can still change this right now. If you're not comfortable, you don't owe him an opportunity to play. You ESPECIALLY don't owe him an invitation to your house. Either redirect to a public space to assess, or just make a clean break. Don't let yourself get caught up in social anxiety and fallacies; you deserve to be safe and comfortable in your own house, and in the game you're running. It's doing yourself and your other players a disservice - having this guy if he's bad is going to impact everything else negatively.

Oh, no, I already sent him a message saying this campaign isn't going to be a good fit for him. I'm just saying, he probably already has my address.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

kingcom posted:

Right thats cool and all and sounds great but none of that interacts with the game mechanics in any way and could have occurred in almost any system. The vast bulk of D&D's mechanics are involved in combat so its why people are really looking for solutions to make high level use of the mechanics work and be entertaining, challenging and engaging. It feels like your suggestion for high level games is to just stop playing D&D and instead just freeform roleplay.

What an odd thing to claim that having a role-play element in a role-playing game somehow isn't responsive because it is somehow not particularized to 5E, specifically. You do know that other RPGs share some of their mechanics with D&D, right? And someone suggesting that the way to deal with the problems of 5E mechanics at high level is to expand your understanding of how the game operates to include things outside of those mechanics is actually responsive to the problem, and not merely suggesting that somebody play GURPS or Exalted or Runequest if they want epic play?

One really effective way to design a high-level encounter is to include a progressive puzzle element that the PCs have to spend actions trying to resolve, preferably with a time-sensitive consequence, forcing the players to set action priorities every round. Sometimes it's a trap, sometimes minions sacrificing people to empower the boss, sometimes some kind of arcane or divine protections shielding the big bad from attack.

That, of course, could be implemented in any RPG regardless of mechanics, so long as there's an action economy. That means its a useful and generally applicable design tool, not that it's useless to anyone trying to build a high-level encounter. But I'll happily post a few more general principles later with some specific references to 5E mechanics to make kingcom happier.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Oh, no, I already sent him a message saying this campaign isn't going to be a good fit for him. I'm just saying, he probably already has my address.

I desperately want to know more about this psycho if you can share anything without going into doxy type stuff.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

wait a minute jewbot420 is my twitch name

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I desperately want to know more about this psycho if you can share anything without going into doxy type stuff.

Let me make a couple of quotes, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

First thing he asks is why my meetup is so far in the future (3 weeks), but he says it with what I can only describe as the weird kind of text you might get from your little attitude filled cousin. I won't include that.

quote:

Is this a Homebrew game or official? If it's Homebrew, I'd like to create a role play character
I didn't know how to reply to this, because either one of these will require that he create a "role play character"

quote:

Would you allow me to make a samurai. He'd be human based and would only have the same thing as a warrior, just that I'd be treating him as a man from the far East.
He didn't call it a Fighter class, he called it a warrior class, which I think is weird, but I assumed he played maybe another system before?

And of course, Master Shedder (his spelling), the level 1 fighter played by Jewbot5000 (not the real name). This plus the weird anime avatar in meetup. I think 10 years ago I wouldn't have minded a young weirdo, but I'm 35 years old now, and the other people in the meetup look like a bunch of men and women with mortgages and poo poo, I'm not sure any of us have time for weird vibes.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 27, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah seems like a kid who wants to play after watching a stream. I too am too old for that poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Samurai is a subclass anyway.

But seriously yeah does not sound like he would work great for your group.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
On the topic of too old for this poo poo, my ongoing group hit level 5 a couple sessions ago:

- The Abj. Wizard uses Shield, Magic Missile, and Shadow Blade exclusively. No attack cantrips or Find Familiar because "doesn't fit his character". DEX 14, rarely casts Mage Armor and when he does it's during combat.
- Knowledge Cleric STR 10 DEX 10 WIS 14 insists on trying to hit with Guiding Bolt, has never cast Bless. Took Toll the Dead but prefers trying to hit things with a spear because that's what fits with his character? Or something.
- Shadow Sorcerer without Twinned Metamagic. Like the Wizard, only casts Mage Armor during the first round of combat, and likes blowing his Scorching Rays while in melee disadvantage. Took Lightning Bolt because "everyone takes Fireball" but after realizing he'll never ever use it, is making noise about swapping it out to Haste next level.

Naturally, none of them have any sense of resource conservation, and push for a long rest after every other fight.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe if he goes and we are just old and boring as gently caress and talk about how good Sonic Youth was he'll get bored and go catch pokemon or whatever kids do now

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Maybe if he goes and we are just old and boring as gently caress and talk about how good Sonic Youth was he'll get bored and go catch pokemon or whatever kids do now

yelling yeet every time he rolls a nat 20

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no you do that when you cast catapult

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've noticed, speaking as a Jew, that basically everyone who has "Jew" in a nickname is either actually Jewish (we tend to be self-deprecating) or an anti-Semite. To answer the unspoken question, no, I wouldn't roll the dice either even if I were a goy.

Conspiratiorist posted:

- The Abj. Wizard uses Shield, Magic Missile, and Shadow Blade exclusively. No attack cantrips or Find Familiar because "doesn't fit his character". DEX 14, rarely casts Mage Armor and when he does it's during combat.

Yet 2/3 of his arsenal aren't even abjuration spells; how thematic

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the whole ensemble makes me think 4chan edgelord rather than an actual Jewish person.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Have you been able to reach out to jewbots 1 through 419 for comment?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

I've noticed, speaking as a Jew, that basically everyone who has "Jew" in a nickname is either actually Jewish (we tend to be self-deprecating) or an anti-Semite. To answer the unspoken question, no, I wouldn't roll the dice either even if I were a goy.

Yet 2/3 of his arsenal aren't even abjuration spells; how thematic

I'm sure you were just born in 1988 or whatever but I definitely did a double take seeing someone with that number on the end of their handle say that they're jewish.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Pendent posted:

I'm sure you were just born in 1988 or whatever but I definitely did a double take seeing someone with that number on the end of their handle say that they're jewish.

Even worse, "just" means only him or "1" and Jeff has 4 letters in it :gonk:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Are there any good resources out there for the Shadowfell? I looking to spice up a Curse of Strahd game and towards the end there are some connections to the Shadowfell I hope to follow up on but I realized I have no actual idea what going there actually entails.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
So it looks like the dude got the message. He left a passive aggressive message in group chat about "looks like I got kicked out of the group" but drama averted.

My brother came over, and we had a good about the thought of him showing up to start trouble.. Both of my brothers are going to be in town that day, so he would have picked the worst day to start some poo poo when two veterans and a cop are all hanging out waiting for some dude dressed like son goku.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnEdgelord posted:

Are there any good resources out there for the Shadowfell? I looking to spice up a Curse of Strahd game and towards the end there are some connections to the Shadowfell I hope to follow up on but I realized I have no actual idea what going there actually entails.

there's a 4e book about it, although a lot of it is stuff specific to that setting

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tetracube posted:

there's a 4e book about it, although a lot of it is stuff specific to that setting

I really wish we had some sort of "Guide to the (Inner/Outer) Planes" book since I constantly want to DM stuff in extraplanar settings but run into a complete lack of material for them in 5e

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

As far as 5e goes there's like 3 pages in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. So not really a great source.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The 4e manual of the planes is probably your best bet. It's got a lot of stuff including a city.

The 4e shadowfell wasn't just some undead apocalypse zone. There are birds and trees and people, oceans and cities. It's basically a gothic setting draped in twilight, with lots of nasty things out there in the dark.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So in our campaign we went down underground to fight drow who had invaded our characters lands. We found a deck of many things while down there.
Our warforged gunslinger pulled ruin and lost all his non magic possessions including the party's keep that he owns and the land surrounding it in Vassa. He then drew Tower and he gained expertise in persuasion and it turned out that he gained a small keep somewhere which the DM ruled that our original keep had actually taken over by monsters and hopefully all of our NPCs didn't die.
I drew key and received a frost brand.
Our wizard got star and skull. So +2 int and his cap there is 24 now then fought an avatar of death.
Then our druid gained a level if she solos something and then her soul was sucked out for thousands of years but she also drew the fates so that never happened but also the horrible memories remain.
5 cards left and I think it's 2 good 3 bad left. So wish is there and also donjon.

All in all better than my last two encounters of getting balance in 3.5 and losing all my barbarian levels when I became lawful and getting the Void.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

I've been reading this and it's good, except the price.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/264872/Ulraunts-Guide-to-the-Planes-The-Shadowfell?src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469

It borrows content from the 4e book but it's well written in it's own right. It does sometimes use the author's homebrew epic level rules so there are level 20+ encounters but all in all you could adjust and run some adventures from the settings in here.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnEdgelord posted:

I really wish we had some sort of "Guide to the (Inner/Outer) Planes" book since I constantly want to DM stuff in extraplanar settings but run into a complete lack of material for them in 5e

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1ZOKCCRlN

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

What do you guys think of the DMG firearm rules? I feel like the musket is in a good place as a unique weapon compared to the bow and heavy crossbow, but the pistol feels like it completely invalidates both the musket and its closest counterpart (the hand crossbow). Does it end up fine in practice, or should it be tweaked?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Because I know the thread has some Opinions on using werecreatures & their inherent damage immunity, I wish to solicit some of these opinions on an upcoming encounter I'm planning.

General gist of the scenario: the party will be venturing into a swampy cave underneath a swamp town, seeking out the "Rat King," a mysterious rat-summoning man who has been terrorizing said town with toxins and stealing poo poo with his rats. They've spotted him once before, atop a roof shouting Phantom of the Opera style and commanding rats/firing crossbow bolts, not-so-Phantom of the Opera style. The Rat King will turn out to be an alchemist afflicted wererat lycanthropy, and has gone nuts on his various attempted cures.

The encounter itself I was designing around him being immune to the party's weaponry. The party is composed a rogue, a monk, a wizard, and two fighters. They're all about level 3. Nobody has magic or silvered weapons to overcome said immunity. save the wizard, who would certainly not survive a one-on-one fight with the Rat King. However, while exploring the cavern he's in and before stumbling into the Rat King himself, they're going to find their way into his testing laboratory, and maybe take on a few dog-sized ratbeasts in the process. The lab's gonna have a bunch of his research notes and say that one of his tests, involving colloidal silver, backfired horribly and injured him a while back. He's since moved the colloidal silver to a more sensitive storage, to prevent future harmful accidents to himself.

Now I don't actually know how colloidal silver works, but it's supposed to point them in the direction of the colloidal silver to apply to weaponry to temporarily silver it. I was thinking of making this happen during combat, unless they're particularly sneaky to grab it beforehand. The Rat King is just a slightly modified wererat so he'll go down (fairly) quickly once the majority of the party has methods of damaging him. I'm probably gonna throw a few of the ratbeast experiments in the mix, so they'll have to juggle those, closing the distance to the Rat King, and preparing their weapons.

Does this sound like too much? Does it seem fair? I want this to seem like a bit of a struggle or puzzle where the solution isn't obtuse.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Wasn't the Artificer UA supposed to be out by now? Did they delay it again and I missed it?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Malpais Legate posted:

Because I know the thread has some Opinions on using werecreatures & their inherent damage immunity, I wish to solicit some of these opinions on an upcoming encounter I'm planning.

General gist of the scenario: the party will be venturing into a swampy cave underneath a swamp town, seeking out the "Rat King," a mysterious rat-summoning man who has been terrorizing said town with toxins and stealing poo poo with his rats. They've spotted him once before, atop a roof shouting Phantom of the Opera style and commanding rats/firing crossbow bolts, not-so-Phantom of the Opera style. The Rat King will turn out to be an alchemist afflicted wererat lycanthropy, and has gone nuts on his various attempted cures.

The encounter itself I was designing around him being immune to the party's weaponry. The party is composed a rogue, a monk, a wizard, and two fighters. They're all about level 3. Nobody has magic or silvered weapons to overcome said immunity. save the wizard, who would certainly not survive a one-on-one fight with the Rat King. However, while exploring the cavern he's in and before stumbling into the Rat King himself, they're going to find their way into his testing laboratory, and maybe take on a few dog-sized ratbeasts in the process. The lab's gonna have a bunch of his research notes and say that one of his tests, involving colloidal silver, backfired horribly and injured him a while back. He's since moved the colloidal silver to a more sensitive storage, to prevent future harmful accidents to himself.

Now I don't actually know how colloidal silver works, but it's supposed to point them in the direction of the colloidal silver to apply to weaponry to temporarily silver it. I was thinking of making this happen during combat, unless they're particularly sneaky to grab it beforehand. The Rat King is just a slightly modified wererat so he'll go down (fairly) quickly once the majority of the party has methods of damaging him. I'm probably gonna throw a few of the ratbeast experiments in the mix, so they'll have to juggle those, closing the distance to the Rat King, and preparing their weapons.

Does this sound like too much? Does it seem fair? I want this to seem like a bit of a struggle or puzzle where the solution isn't obtuse.

A puzzle fight with a single solution is tempting fate and the cloud of stupidity that descends over players every now and then. I'd try to design a couple of outs besides the colloidal silver. Maybe if the wizard deals sufficient damage he attempts a new drug that ends up with him overdosing and dying, or, if the party is holding out alright besides the damage, causes him to hulk out but lose the immunities?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

CubeTheory posted:

Wasn't the Artificer UA supposed to be out by now? Did they delay it again and I missed it?

Yeah it should have been out by now:

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1083963895260286976

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

A puzzle fight with a single solution is tempting fate and the cloud of stupidity that descends over players every now and then. I'd try to design a couple of outs besides the colloidal silver. Maybe if the wizard deals sufficient damage he attempts a new drug that ends up with him overdosing and dying, or, if the party is holding out alright besides the damage, causes him to hulk out but lose the immunities?

Now that you bring it up, yeah, a single solution is probably not enough. I like that idea about him hulking out but losing his immunities.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Malpais Legate posted:

No reason it can't be fairly cinematic just because it's low level. You could have the silver solution only work once, but it takes away his damage immunity for the rest of the combat - and then the PCs have to work to get the quarterback into position to make the plan happen. Or you could have it do a bunch of bonus damage (maybe like 6d6), so it only takes one good hit, but then it's used up. When big hit doesn't kill him in one shot, the wizard can still affect the wererat with magic/cantrips, and you could have torches or lanterns or alchemical weapons laying around that do a small amount of elemental damage to bypass the resistance.

If the party is mechanically savvy, the rogue and the wizard can put out respectable damage on the guy with very little to work with. A 1d4 thrown acid or poison flask could easily be a sneak attack and do 1/3 of the wererat's HP without silver. The other minions and experiments can keep things exciting, and can keep the fighters and monk busy even if the Rat King ends up being easy because they execute the "puzzle" part really well.

I'd suggest that solution just because it gives some specialized roles and spotlight opportunities for the different players. Just getting everyone's weapon silvered, 4-5 PCs will each make one attack and drop the Rat King, because he's not that tough without his resistance... and that strikes me as an anticlimax.

Another solution could be that the colloidal silver already hurt the Rat King, and he only has resistance to non-silvered weapons instead of immunity. The PCs don't know the stats and mechanics you've worked out, don't worry as much about threading the needle between difficult and impossible ahead of time - have a couple of options in mind for if they're struggling too much to make it easier, and let them work the problem their own way.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Have one or more planned solutions. Have a half-solution that means "things were harder" in place in case they think of nothing. But definitely listen to the players and if they think of something cool let that be the right solution even if you didn't think of it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Have one or more planned solutions. Have a half-solution that means "things were harder" in place in case they think of nothing. But definitely listen to the players and if they think of something cool let that be the right solution even if you didn't think of it.
That should be the first piece of advice in the DM's guide.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Don't get why they have yet to explain the second delay.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
On the other side of that coin, as a player, how do you deal with a DM who seems to have a "correct" solution in mind?

For context, the party is trying to sneak into a military base and steal a document to exchange for information about a kidnapping we were framed for. We convince the guards at the gate to leave, then I Alter Self into a guard and accompany the rest into the base, as an inspection w/ military escort. So far, so good, a classic ruse.

DM: "In the first room, you see an angel, who swoops down and sees through your disguise (thanks to True Sight) and orders you to leave. Later you find a note in your pocket saying that was a dumb plan."

My instinct is to say "screw you, that was a fine plan until you literally deus-ex-machina'd it into not working!", and his defense is that he's "just playing by the rules". It feels like he has a "correct" way for us to pull off this heist and will punish us if we don't do it his way, but at the same time, he seems way more concerned with the mechanics of the game than telling a story. He claims he wants us to slow down and rest/plan more, but every time we discuss strategy, he rolls a dice and says "in character, you took so long to discuss this issue that a thing happens that forces you down a particular path."

Are we just screwed?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Weird rules interaction I haven't seen an answer to anywhere else. Similar questions, but this one seems distinct.

I'm a battlemaster with Sentinel. I'm standing next to another party member (we'll call him Hank) and a monster adjacent to both of us attacks Hank.

Sentinel triggers an OA. I hit, and use Maneuvering Attack to move Hank a safe distance away.

1.) Is this legal?
2.) What is the timing? Do I interrupt the attack or not?
3.) If I do interrupt the attack, Hank is no longer a legal target for the attack. Does the attack fail?

Thanks!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

On the other side of that coin, as a player, how do you deal with a DM who seems to have a "correct" solution in mind?

For context, the party is trying to sneak into a military base and steal a document to exchange for information about a kidnapping we were framed for. We convince the guards at the gate to leave, then I Alter Self into a guard and accompany the rest into the base, as an inspection w/ military escort. So far, so good, a classic ruse.

DM: "In the first room, you see an angel, who swoops down and sees through your disguise (thanks to True Sight) and orders you to leave. Later you find a note in your pocket saying that was a dumb plan."

My instinct is to say "screw you, that was a fine plan until you literally deus-ex-machina'd it into not working!", and his defense is that he's "just playing by the rules". It feels like he has a "correct" way for us to pull off this heist and will punish us if we don't do it his way, but at the same time, he seems way more concerned with the mechanics of the game than telling a story. He claims he wants us to slow down and rest/plan more, but every time we discuss strategy, he rolls a dice and says "in character, you took so long to discuss this issue that a thing happens that forces you down a particular path."

Are we just screwed?

Yeah the angel thing is bullshit railroading. If the players spend time thinking through and implementing a plan, even if there ends up being something wrong with it should still be a step in the right direction towards the expected end result.

"You spent too long trying to come up with a solution that something happens" can be a valid thing to do, if the players are legitimately taking too long to agree on a course of action, but if he's not giving you enough time before pulling it out then it's also just another form of railroading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah the angel thing is bullshit railroading. If the players spend time thinking through and implementing a plan, even if there ends up being something wrong with it should still be a step in the right direction towards the expected end result.

"You spent too long trying to come up with a solution that something happens" can be a valid thing to do, if the players are legitimately taking too long to agree on a course of action, but if he's not giving you enough time before pulling it out then it's also just another form of railroading.

Yeah man this really depends on how long 'we took time to come up with a plan' is. It's usually fine if everybody in the party takes 4-5 minutes to talk and then you reach some kind of consensus but if the game is bogging in hours-long discussions on how to plan for every likely contingency that's bad and it can lead to rash DM choices just to keep things moving.