Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

VitalSigns posted:

Ohhh you mean he might not have enough hall passes to prevent a 2/3 Aye vote right now.

Yeah good point, that might could affect the House. Or maybe not, Republicans already lost just about every vulnerable seat in 2018 anyway (and still suffered defections from what moderates are left), I'm skeptical that it would ever pass since it's really really unlikely that less than 1/3 of House districts are safe places to vote with Trump. But I suppose it could make the vote even more uncomfortable for some Republicans.

Yeah that's pretty much where my head is.

The interesting part is that now, it's not just a vote for a racist edifice anymore. The money's got to be redirected from somewhere, and as best we can tell the dealmaking and musical chairs is very much ongoing. Given the list of eligible projects is already being passed around, individual reps are going to be standing to lose tens or even hundreds of millions to their district and won't be able to hide it. Some of those House reps are gonna be nervous and seeking some assurance, and I absolutely don't believe the administration has their poo poo together enough to be able to coherently offer it.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Loucks posted:

Sure, I get that in her role as Speaker Pelosi doesn’t always get to push her own positions. What I don’t get is what end her comments about M4A are meant to serve other than FUD. Seems to be designed to damage perception of M4A, and it’s not clear how her role as Speaker dictates that she torpedo progressive policy.

Admittedly it’s possible that I’m an idiot and totally misinterpreting something.

I suspect she gets enough money to the party from Pharma/AHIP that she's not going to take a position 100% for it until it's inescapable.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

Who exactly is the target audience for CPAC? Like I imagine it is just a sea of old white people and oxygen tanks, but then they try to be "the hip and cool kids" and I barely see any young people in the pictures, besides interns and speakers.

Who is all of this for?

Vile pieces of poo poo who need an ever increasing amount of reassurance that their ideas aren't an abomination to mankind from other folks who share their ideas.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

I know this is from a few pages back, but can I just point the big, ominous dark area that is the West Coast? Apparently everything west of the Rockies is like the shadow land in Lion King... My homestate of WA is nearly gone from the map.

Then we see how bright and lush middle America aka Real America looks. Its hilarious.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1101224689568022528

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Solar Coaster posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but can I just point the big, ominous dark area that is the West Coast? Apparently everything west of the Rockies is like the shadow land in Lion King... My homestate of WA is nearly gone from the map.

Then we see how bright and lush middle America aka Real America looks. Its hilarious.

I mean, if the upper East Coast and most of the Northern Midwest didn't absolutely despise him too, you may be on to something

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

Who exactly is the target audience for CPAC? Like I imagine it is just a sea of old white people and oxygen tanks, but then they try to be "the hip and cool kids" and I barely see any young people in the pictures, besides interns and speakers.

Who is all of this for?

It's a con artist convention. It's for finding out the best ways to grift old people out of their money with direct mailers and email chains facebook memes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TulliusCicero posted:

Who is all of this for?

75% olds, 25% unbearable youngs. CPAC is like TPUSA, it's not actually FOR the hip youth, it's for the olds to point at their cool young friends to assure themselves that everything's cool and good actually.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Has anyone said Nancy Poolosi yet?

Also, apparently Don Jr. is a big hit with the young people who showed up to CPAC. He keeps getting "mobbed" by crowds, they say. Who are these children? Who would be excited by Don Jr? Their parents must be broom closets or mops or something. It makes me sad.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Solar Coaster posted:

It looks like its on fire and burned to poo poo honestly, the clouds are smoke clouds and it looks like.you can make out flames near the coast.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1101223834701701123

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I've heard plenty about trade sanctions with China, but I assume Trump is also working on intergalactic trade sanctions as well.

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1100890035119747072

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

maybe they really are running out of money. i am sure its a combination of both like he said. the stoneman shooting backlash hurt them bad and i am sure they are in some deep water over the russia stuff.

Loucks posted:

Phone posting and haven’t read the whole interview, but how do we square “have not found an issue where we are really opposed” with Pelosi muddying the waters wrt M4A and talking it down? Am I missing something significant?

from reading the pelosi statements. it sounds like she wants the whole thing fully fully fleshed out and then have the power to pass it before we bring it up for vote but until then try to keep Obamacare alive. while i think there is no harm in a trial run, i think its good to wait until after 2020.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TulliusCicero posted:

Who is all of this for?

Fascists must constantly project an image of strength even when they are feeble and pathetic. It is essential to their ethos. Why do you think TPUSA ads are viewed almost exclusively by 60 year olds? Turning Point is not about creating and/or empowering the youthful and vital parts of the conservative movement, its about making its wasting core falsely believe those parts actually exist so they feel powerful and part of an inevitably victorious inexhaustible force.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1101193412269740032

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Solar Coaster posted:

the sun is rising across America, man.

Also, and I want this pointed out... there are no mountains on the east coast. :tinfoil:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I found Pelosi speaking about the GND also interesting

quote:

The group that staged that sit-in are advocates for the Green New Deal. There seems to be a lot of energy around the idea, but not a lot of specifics. You’ve resurrected the Select Committee on the Climate Crisis. What do you want this committee empowered to do? What does it have as a goal?
When I was elected speaker — Bush is president, mind you — my flagship issue was the climate. It’s a public-health issue: clean air, clean water. It’s a national-security issue, to protect us from all of the things that engender violence, [such as] competition for food. The generals have come to tell us it is a national-security issue. It’s an economic issue, and it is a moral issue to pass this planet on to future generations in the best possible way. As a Catholic, I believe that this is God’s creation, and we have a moral responsibility to be good stewards of it.

President Bush was a denier. I mean, I loved him dearly, but he was a denier. We had Republicans on our committee who were deniers. Now, they’re a little more like, “It’s happening, but I’m not sure what the human role is.” When we lost [the Democratic majority of the House], one of the first things [Republicans] did was to restore Styrofoam to the cafeteria, no more recycling, everything went in the same trash. You know, they’re really pathetic. Because they are just handmaidens of the fossil-fuel industry, period — when they’re not handmaidens of the gun industry. So they have those two wonderful things going for them.

With George W. Bush, we passed the biggest energy bill in the history of our country, taking tens of millions of cars off the road, changed emission standards, and many of the actions that President Obama was able to take by executive order sprang from authorities in that bill. So we made a big difference. Now here we are, and technology is way down the road. There are so many more opportunities to protect.

I think coal is a disaster. It’s an oxymoron: “clean coal.” It doesn’t exist. It’s impossible. However, I fight for [miners], for their health benefits and their pension benefits. Anytime they come to Capitol Hill, 30 or 40 of them gravitate to our office as their kind of headquarters, because while the president is advertising coal, we can’t get them to pass bills for black-lung disease. I mean, we do, but it’s an effort to do it.

In any event, to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, we have to put a price on coal, on carbon. It might be a carbon tax. We’ll see, but that’s the reason you have hearings and see what’s possible, what the market will be, what the private sector is willing to invest in, what is working in some other countries, and what we can do working together.

You have to make decisions that you’re going to reach certain goals, and some of our goals we think are achievable. That’s why public opinion is so important. Young people know better than people who serve here in Congress that this is important to do.

How do you deal with entrenched interests — the energy companies, the coal companies, the oil companies?
Yeah, they have a lot of power here, there’s no question, but again, we have to take it to the public, and I think it should be an important part of the presidential campaign. That’s sort of the main attraction in politics — during a presidential year, we’ll be the lounge act, that’s the main event. Everything that we’re talking about has to be elevated to the presidential level.

Now, in terms of the Green New Deal [as conceived], that goes beyond what our charge is. Our charge is about saving the planet. They have in there things like single-payer and . . .  what is it? Guaranteed income?

Pelosi Deputy Chief of Staff Drew Hammill: Guaranteed income, and then a jobs guarantee.

Pelosi: And then they have, I don’t know if it’s single-payer or Medicare for All. . . . It’s kind of, like, a broader agenda. All good values, but nonetheless, not what we hope to achieve with this focused, determined, decision-making: You’re either for the planet or you are not. There is no “plan B” for the planet. We have to preserve it, and it is in great jeopardy.

It sounds like Pelosi is concerned that if you have these "extra" measures in the GND that can take away from the specific focus of climate change and make it more difficult to pass .But I do think the GND authors are right that you can't just address "climate change" itself without addressing other areas that will be affected by any kind of large transition we do. And actually by addressing those as well it can make it actually easier. By having a guaranteed income and M4A you ease the economic security concerns of those worried how this transition will affect their economic security.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

from reading the pelosi statements. it sounds like she wants the whole thing fully fully fleshed out and then have the power to pass it before we bring it up for vote but until then try to keep Obamacare alive. while i think there is no harm in a trial run, i think its good to wait until after 2020.

It can be that or it could just be that Pelosi isn't as progressive as a lot of folks here want her to be.

It can be both, too!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Art of the Deal

https://twitter.com/spettypi/status/1101172466804768769

quote:

BREAKING: In rare press conference, North Korean official says “Chairman Kim got the feeling that he didn't understand the way Americans calculate” says Kim may have "lost the will" for further negotiations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Well there’s one dead spokesperson.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

Imagine getting outsmarted by Kim Jong-Un

Bahahahaha

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Donnie's bigly dumb mush brain outplayed Kim.

(the smart move when dealing with dumb chaos elements is "careful" or dont.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I know they're playing up the 'hermit kingdom' thing to pretend that Kim, like, never talked to a westerner before or something, but fuckin lol @ the narrative of 'we had our first experience with american diplomacy and loving hate it, bye'.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Reminder that no matter how hard they try to pretend otherwise, cops are civilians.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Perfect clothing for the mass shooter in your life!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

jesus christ

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Xarthor posted:

Perfect clothing for the mass shooter in your life!

This shirt would almost be cool if not for the poo poo on the arms and the people profiting from it. Shame.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Rigel posted:

I've heard plenty about trade sanctions with China, but I assume Trump is also working on intergalactic trade sanctions as well.

https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1100890035119747072

This man needs a Haldol injection stat and to be started on a clozapine regimen

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

God drat, just put a DSA logo at the end of that motherfucker

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Yes! You fight that wave of...anti-fascists...uh......

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Prester Jane posted:

This is a good post and I deeply appreciate the effort put into it, even if I am about to disagree with it pretty extensively. I want to state off the bat that I think there is a fundamental flaw in your reasoning here, and you are thinking about the violence in terms of what sort of organization and tactics would radicalize Trump supporters need to adopt in order to stand a chance of success. You then go on to describe in pretty good detail exactly why it is highly unlikely that they will form the kind of sustained coherent organization that you believe they would need in order to succeed. This is very good and very logical thinking in terms of how you've been taught by our culture to conceptualize conflict, but Narrativist conflicts are not over resources or organization, narrative is conflicts are over controlling the narrative that a given Society uses to self-reflect. If Narrativists can gain control of that then they will inevitably win* over a long enough timeline, disparity in resources or organizational capabilities be damned.

So, it seems that there are two different types of discussions here.

The first question is, will there be an organized way that Trump can resist leaving office, if he refuses to accept the effects of the election? Because that was the question I was answering. As we have agreed, the idea that the angry young people who make up Trump's most likely physical troops (as opposed to his older supporters), will be leaving their computers and PS4s to seize federal buildings and hold them indefinitely until the rest of the country capitulates. Who will bring them food? What will they do when the power is turned off? What will they do when there is a falling out among them about which flavor of Mountain Dew is the best? My arguments were addressed to how many of Trump's supporters would heed a call for actively seizing government control.

The second question, whether there will be a lot of angry people willing to commit terrorism and right-wing violence, just to make life lovely for people...I don't doubt that there will be.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

This definitely crossed my mind a few times:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I'm trying to remember the last time a face-to-face presidential summit like this failed so spectacularly that it didn't even finish. I mean Reykjavik was close but even that ended up with a treaty a year later (which Trump's pulling out of, lmao)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Purge marketing looking good.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Came here to post this. Seriously looking forward to what they have to ask him.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The rich have a strange habit of being at death's door when they have to show up in court, so I wouldn't bet on it yet.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Toobly posted:

This man needs a Haldol injection stat and to be started on a clozapine regimen

This is...quite a listen. I just had to peek in and wow, this 4 hour diatribe has it all and I'm not even halfway in. He just throws out so many random things in this hours-long gish gallop, even random as gently caress poo poo like "I'm 6% Comanche!" He really covered every single one of the dumb/crazy white guy bases and that's sort of amazing in and of itself.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

stillvisions posted:

The rich have a strange habit of being at death's door when they have to show up in court, so I wouldn't bet on it yet.

Ken Lay hosed up and actually died instead of just being sympathetically sick for his sentencing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Well, it looks like Bibi is getting indicted. I expect strong condemnations from Trump over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

I know they're playing up the 'hermit kingdom' thing to pretend that Kim, like, never talked to a westerner before or something, but fuckin lol @ the narrative of 'we had our first experience with american diplomacy and loving hate it, bye'.

my guess is trump just yelled about his various domestic issues and problems and cohen and while kim just sat there with a fake smile thinking "what the gently caress is this man gurgling about".