Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Also don't compare your current model to your last model, compare it to the first. You are getting better its impossible not to. But it's all small changes over time, you won't notice it day by day but man does it add up.

FYI I'm new to painting minis to but I do other art stuff and it's basically all the same.

Saying that has anyone gone the other way? Where you learnt and got good at painting models and then moved on to painting and drawing? And did you find your skill were transferable?

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Also also, if there is a friendly local store, they may do miniature painting sessions with an expert painter on site. GW stores also do that, although you may be forced to give GW money in that case.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That Italian Guy posted:

Also also, if there is a friendly local store, they may do miniature painting sessions with an expert painter on site. GW stores also do that, although you may be forced to give GW money in that case.

GW stores have never charged for paint lessons in my experience.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same, and modern gw emplyess do not push people to buy stuff as off-puttingly as years before. But I don't know how they would feel if right now I, as a beginner rocked up with all my own brushes (non citadel) and paints (mixed) and models (2nd hand from ebay) and asked for their time without spending a dime.

I mean, it probably depends on the store/manager and the time of day as well, but I feel like it'd be courtesy to buy something if I'm taking a place at their table and asking people for help.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah those are free but they used to be very pressing with the sales if you entered the store, so going a few times without buying something could get...weird. Also using non-GW stuff in the store could become weird. "Forced" is a bit of strong word, let's say you would be passively-aggressively "expected" to buy something - especially if you did not already have GW stuff - at least in my experience with local GW stores.

e:fb what IPA Regulations said :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 28, 2019

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

BoneMonkey posted:

Also don't compare your current model to your last model, compare it to the first. You are getting better its impossible not to. But it's all small changes over time, you won't notice it day by day but man does it add up.

FYI I'm new to painting minis to but I do other art stuff and it's basically all the same.

Saying that has anyone gone the other way? Where you learnt and got good at painting models and then moved on to painting and drawing? And did you find your skill were transferable?

I actually went back to school for art after a few years of getting pretty good at mini painting. I was like huh, I'm pretty good at this I wonder if I can do "real" art?

It's been surprisingly transferable. Mostly the things that make you a good mini painter - ability to perform tedious repetitive tasks for a long time - is like a solid chunk of art'n.

I could barely draw a stick figure but went to being not amazing, but at least surprisingly competent at drawing in a few months. I pretty quickly moved into new media/ sculpture and rarely paint now, but yeah it's been good. Passed my portfolio review last semester and pretty soon I'll have a BFA.

Edit: the weirdest thing is how I naturally gravitated to working on very large scales. No middle ground for me.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 28, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IPA Regulations posted:

I mean, it probably depends on the store/manager and the time of day as well, but I feel like it'd be courtesy to buy something if I'm taking a place at their table and asking people for help.

I often feel the same way :v: It's terrible. Always feel like I have to buy something whenever I go to a game store. But I mean, you can always just buy like, a paint pot or a brush. You don't need to buy some $50+ box.

But yea - I said come in!, based on your post history it looks like you just got started basically this month? That's way too early to start complaining about not seeing progress in your stuff :) Just keep at it and watch videos. When you're really "in the zone", try to have some self-awareness for what you're actually doing, rather than focusing on just getting a model completed.

If you gently caress something up, try to ask yourself what caused that to happen. Was your brush frayed? Too wet? Simply going too fast? You'll slow yourself to a crawl if you try to be hyper vigilant for every single model you paint, but these are things I've been trying to think about while working recently. Instead of just being like, "Ugh this sucks and I hate it" I've been trying to figure out why something came out wrong.

Really though there's just no substitute for experience. Keep at it and you'll figure out what works for you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

IPA Regulations posted:

Same, and modern gw emplyess do not push people to buy stuff as off-puttingly as years before. But I don't know how they would feel if right now I, as a beginner rocked up with all my own brushes (non citadel) and paints (mixed) and models (2nd hand from ebay) and asked for their time without spending a dime.

Yeah they would likely encourage you to use their paints. That's the one caveat about GW, is that they are still trying to make money.

What you can do is show up with nothing and ask for a painting lesson. They will give you a free Primaris Marine and tell you how to paint it. Go during the week when the store is dead and you will get tons of attention.

As a rule I try to buy something in most gaming stores I visit, especially ones I play in.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah those are free but they used to be very pressing with the sales if you entered the store, so going a few times without buying something could get...weird. Also using non-GW stuff in the store could become weird. "Forced" is a bit of strong word, let's say you would be passively-aggressively "expected" to buy something - especially if you did not already have GW stuff - at least in my experience with local GW stores.

e:fb what IPA Regulations said :)

FWIW GW has seemingly changed their policy to avoid high pressure stuff. They're still absurdly expensive but every store employee I have met since getting back into 8th has been extremely relaxed and customer focused.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FWIW GW has seemingly changed their policy to avoid high pressure stuff. They're still absurdly expensive but every store employee I have met since getting back into 8th has been extremely relaxed and customer focused.

Ah good to know.

Last time I've stepped into a GW store has been...5-6 years ago, I was looking for some basecoat paint after moving to a new town and I didn't know where the local friendly store was. I was having a look around and the staffer on turn kept trying to push some modeling tools set (like a clipper and maybe a file? can't remember exactly) that was like 30€ :wtf:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah good to know.

Last time I've stepped into a GW store has been...5-6 years ago, I was looking for some basecoat paint after moving to a new town and I didn't know where the local friendly store was. I was having a look around and the staffer on turn kept trying to push some modeling tools set (like a clipper and maybe a file? can't remember exactly) that was like 30€ :wtf:

Yeah they stopped doing that, likely because people kept telling them how lovely it was.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

BoneMonkey posted:

I consider myself a top tier B list painter on these boards, but I couldn't draw a coherent sketch to save my life.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah they stopped doing that, likely because people kept telling them how lovely it was.

Ironically I am much more likely to buy stuff from them now. On one of my first visits back to GW last year the manager of the store was so nice and friendly and deliberately NOT pressuring me, I bought a loving Renegade box for 160 euros on my next visit. I didn't even like knights :(.

It's still in it's box behind loose sprues and boxes of unpainted Tyranids. :cripes:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

IPA Regulations posted:

Ironically I am much more likely to buy stuff from them now. On one of my first visits back to GW last year the manager of the store was so nice and friendly and deliberately NOT pressuring me, I bought a loving Renegade box for 160 euros on my next visit. I didn't even like knights :(.

It's still in it's box behind loose sprues and boxes of unpainted Tyranids. :cripes:

Yup. That's basically how it works.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Looking for paints that are a similar color to Nihilakh Oxide but which won’t come out as chalky. Any suggestions?

Vallejo Virdigris Glaze? https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/producto/hobby/model-color-en/verdigris-glaze-70832/

I haven’t used it but here’s a video comparing the two: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nC5yj7vb3ck

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The hard sale was exceptionally dumb for this hobby, it's not like wargaming self-selects for gregarious social butterflies. The conversation should have always been: "Do you want to learn how to play? Any questions? Cool let me know."

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Never mind ham-nerds' social skills, it's just antagonistic business practices that will drive people away. Like I refuse to shop at Game Stop because I don't want to be badgered about pre-ordering, signing up for a rewards card, or the rest of their litany (am I using that word right? :thunk:)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

The hard sale was exceptionally dumb for this hobby, it's not like wargaming self-selects for gregarious social butterflies. The conversation should have always been: "Do you want to learn how to play? Any questions? Cool let me know."

That and its better for employees too honestly, instead of sales and quota pressure just let them be genuine and everybody ends up happier.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

You've only been painting for a month or two right? That's still at the stage where the most important thing is just getting hours in to improve basic skills like brush control. That said, a good way to improve is to find a video demonstrating some technique you want to learn and try to replicate it.

Thank you, this morning I went back to the figure I painted and it actually doesn't look bad at all now that all of the paint is dried. I got frustrated because I was having trouble with gluing the pieces together. The Skitarii Ranger/Vanguard figures are a pain in the rear end to assemble. I am going to see if my local store offers help with painting/assembly and if they do any painting sessions. My local Games Workshop is a good place to look too.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

I consider myself a top tier B list painter on these boards, but I couldn't draw a coherent sketch to save my life.

Hm talk to me more about these tiers lol

But for real who is the best painter, let's stir some poo poo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It’s Rockfish or Booley or that goon who makes the ballet ultramarines with green.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's me, I just never post good models here so people don't feel bad about themselves.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

I said come in! posted:

I wish I could find someone local who paints and learn from them in person. I essentially paint 1 - 2 figures a night and I don't feel like the quality of my painting is getting any better. :sigh:

Don't stress man. Just paint. Don't be afraid to try new techniques and even if it's not perfect, do the next one. You'll learn so much. And making mistakes is good. Don't be afraid of them at all.

Just keep going. You're getting better.
And keep sharing your models. Don't be afraid of C&C. Don't rush models, just paint. This should be fun.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TheBigAristotle posted:

But for real who is the best painter, let's stir some poo poo

Its PaintVagrant, it always and will forever be PV

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It’s Rockfish or Booley or that goon who makes the ballet ultramarines with green.

No its definitely Hixson or ijyt or bulbasaur, not me.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Booley posted:

No its definitely Hixson or ijyt or bulbasaur, not me.

:same:, I like to think I am decent but there are waaaay better painters itt.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Pics or didn’t happen :colbert:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

loving Canada is keeping me from painting right now- it's been super cold and windy here so I haven't been able to prime any new figures.

Maybe I'll do the base for "crawling out of grave" guy tonight.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Management was all about maximizing profits for the shareholders - the game was always secondary to the models.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Darkoth Chieftain challenge made me want to paint the Godsworn Hunt models from Warhammer: Underworlds to use as a Skirmish Warband.

Here's some wip shots:

Trying different skin tones on everyone:

Ensorcelled Javelin lady:

Archer dude:

They'll all go along with this guy:

I'll get some good shots of everything once they're all done.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

One darker skin tone I found elsewhere that I used for my Sequitor is Steel Legion Drab with a highlight of Drab and Baneblade brown followed by final highlight of Baneblade brown with some Agrax in the recesses for definition. I almost prefered it better than the GW recipe for dark skin as the end result felt a lot warmer.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what do you guys use to store your minis? I'm just putting mine in small amazon boxes, but I have enough now that I'd like a set of drawers or something. Anything that works particularly well or comes recommended?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zuul the Cat posted:

Archer dude:

I love the looks of this one.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

loving Canada is keeping me from painting right now- it's been super cold and windy here so I haven't been able to prime any new figures.

Maybe I'll do the base for "crawling out of grave" guy tonight.

Do what I did and buy a crappy airbrush and compressor, even the worst is good enough for priming and if you get one with an ok compressor it will last you a while even after you get a good airbrush.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I'm trying on a space marine for size, I ended up making up the paint scheme because I couldn't find a chapter I 100% liked.

Sorry about it being a quick phone post. What do you guys think so far?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

One darker skin tone I found elsewhere that I used for my Sequitor is Steel Legion Drab with a highlight of Drab and Baneblade brown followed by final highlight of Baneblade brown with some Agrax in the recesses for definition. I almost prefered it better than the GW recipe for dark skin as the end result felt a lot warmer.

I mostly followed the GW recipe, but instead of leaving the skin Dryad Bark (which is entirely too dark) I did a coat of Gothor Brown then Agrax'd it.

Also someone pointed it out in the discord, the nipples are way off for dark skin. Gotta fix that.

BoneMonkey posted:

I'm trying on a space marine for size, I ended up making up the paint scheme because I couldn't find a chapter I 100% liked.

I really love this. The red and grey work well together, and i'm a huge fan of the face plates being a different color from everything else. 10/10.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what do you guys use to store your minis? I'm just putting mine in small amazon boxes, but I have enough now that I'd like a set of drawers or something. Anything that works particularly well or comes recommended?

There are basically two schools of thought: 1) Get foam trays with little spaces for your minis or 2) magnetize the bases and get a case to hold them in place. I like foam because I'm always worried about what would happen if a mini/part broke loose in the magnet setup and just bounced around the case smashing everything, but that's probably only an issue for pewter minis. The ideal is probably a mix of the two: magnet-based for stuff with lots of spindly bits and foam for other stuff.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

I mostly followed the GW recipe, but instead of leaving the skin Dryad Bark (which is entirely too dark) I did a coat of Gothor Brown then Agrax'd it.

Hm, I should try that for next time I paint a model with a decent amount of skin.
Might just do various skin tones for my Eschers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BoneMonkey posted:

That looks really good and I think you accidentally painted him up like a Minotaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

I consider the a-listers people with exceptional blending, freehand, or display level sharpness. You know, the people who shade their blacks. My stuff is very basic in terms of technique, I'm just meticulous.

Or to simplify things: it's those loving Horus Heresy jagoffs.

BoneMonkey posted:

Two-tone helmet crew. :parrot: