Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Book recommendations and med type info will be edited in tonight. I’m moving it to second post and my personal story to third. Also considering spending money to sticky the thread.

if anyone has any recommendations beyond Man’s Search for Meaning and It’s Not Your Fault now’s the time.

feel free to steal and reformat anything ive posted

bookwise my favorite is called "full catastrophe living" by jon kabat-zinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I recommend The Body Keeps The Score for ptsd/cptsd.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

just saw this and i like it a lot

https://twitter.com/BA5ILEUS/status/1097546064717144065

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i don't know why i thought this was the book thread but i'm gonna reiterate that therapy is good for you and you should get some

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i don't know why i thought this was the book thread but i'm gonna reiterate that therapy is good for you and you should get some

:hai:

apparently by “tonight” I meant “tomorrow because I just finished financial bookkeeping on mint and am worn the gently caress out so

yeah

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gnossiennes posted:

I recommend The Body Keeps The Score for ptsd/cptsd.

i read a lot of this book while like weeping openly

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I've seen some posts in here about finding free mental health services in the US, does anyone know if there is anything like that available in Romania? Specifically Bucharest.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yo that's like exactly what I said too, what do you mean it's terrible advice

maybe i imagined one of the unironic "sever immediately" posts ive seen over it, who knows

honestly i dont even know if i read your whole post or not and im not about to go do it now

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
it's cool

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

ur cool

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Was having one of my sadbrains depressive episodes so I decided to drink myself into a retarded stupor for 4 days straight because that sure fuckin helps.

Good times. Bopped my fuckin head on something at some point apparently :shrug:

Doin goooooooood

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mackers posted:

Was having one of my sadbrains depressive episodes so I decided to drink myself into a retarded stupor for 4 days straight because that sure fuckin helps.

Good times. Bopped my fuckin head on something at some point apparently :shrug:

Doin goooooooood

c gonna spam

see a pdoc tho don’t self medicate

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

smarxist posted:

i read a lot of this book while like weeping openly

yeah, i still haven't finished it because i keep having to put it down. it both makes me understand stuff and also feel sad and frustrated. but, feeling sad about something is better than being super confused as to why i react certain ways to things.

it doesn't always make it easier, though.

anyway, i'm hoping as i actually get further into the book that maybe it helps me you know, deal with poo poo :( but i really recommend it even for the 1/3 of the book i've read so far, plus it was rec'd by my psych.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Apparently getting a shrink is very fuckin difficult in Germany. They're all booked to the gills and have no time.

Pretty sure I could walk into a psych office in Ireland and get an appointment straight away. But then I'd have to go home.

I was honest with my doctor here (about suicidal thoughts etc) in Germany and was informed that "We are actually kind of legally obliged to commit you but you seem coherent" or something. That was fun.

Fuckin welp. Guess this continues.

Mackers has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Feb 24, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Journey thru Trauma is a good book that puts things in more manageable chunks for me. Like, instead of going "you need your physical life completely in order before you can heal here's the story of an otherwise successful person with psych issues" it appeals to a need to have things in place, but not a need for perfection.

Also, I was supposed to be asleep right now. Went to bed a bit before 7 pm to wake up at about 3 am. But there was a late night call from Mom and now my mind can't stop spinning in different directions.

When it goes negative I can get myself back to the present in under a minute, but then it's thoughts about a story idea, or coming up with answers to questions I won't be asked.

I'm going to double-check with my therapist if I can text message her late at night for moments like this. I.e.: "I would like to get this off my chest. I'm trying to do things right re: my negative thoughts. I'm not doing it very well, but I'm not failing. I want to reach out to people I'm close to but everyone is or should be asleep. So I'm leaving a message for now to see if that will help me any."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Darkness Visible by William Styron is good. It drives home the dull, plodding, and even self-indulgent misery of depression.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mackers posted:

Apparently getting a shrink is very fuckin difficult in Germany. They're all booked to the gills and have no time.

Pretty sure I could walk into a psych office in Ireland and get an appointment straight away. But then I'd have to go home.

I was honest with my doctor here (about suicidal thoughts etc) in Germany and was informed that "We are actually kind of legally obliged to commit you but you seem coherent" or something. That was fun.

Fuckin welp. Guess this continues.

Texas/Austin has this problem but uh for completely different reasons. Maybe your doctor can get you to lie on a couch while he says “how does that make you feel” in a really thick accent idk

also I swear I’m going to edit in book recommendations soon, like any time now, just you wait

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
loving finally. Got the book and med list out, also included Bearded Whiteguy's posts about DBT because it's all the rage these days (for good reason, it seems).

As soon as the budget rolls over Friday I'm going to sticky the thread.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Good jobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

CSPAM thanks you

We are a kind of messed up bunch and need that info quite a lot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chokes McGee posted:

loving finally. Got the book and med list out, also included Bearded Whiteguy's posts about DBT because it's all the rage these days (for good reason, it seems).

As soon as the budget rolls over Friday I'm going to sticky the thread.

this is great. thanks so much for doing this

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Good info. One thing my doc told me is that professionals these days generally just refer to atypical antipsychotics as “atypicals” since, oddly enough, people are often kind of resistant to taking drugs called “antipsychotics.” I was put on a few of them for awhile, but they never did anything for me, which makes sense because I AM NOT CRAZY :stare:.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
Found a really really nice therapist and saw her today, one step closer to my ultimate goal of becoming an estrogen golem, heres hoping its that easy to get into a good endocrinologist

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

can i post dog pics and videos here? i swear i'll only post one a day

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mekyabetsu posted:

Good info. One thing my doc told me is that professionals these days generally just refer to atypical antipsychotics as “atypicals” since, oddly enough, people are often kind of resistant to taking drugs called “antipsychotics.” I was put on a few of them for awhile, but they never did anything for me, which makes sense because I AM NOT CRAZY :stare:.

Atypical antipsychotics aren't just for schizophrenia or anything. They can have different uses. They can be used as sort of supplemental medicine to other anti-depressants. I've been on some kind for quite a while and as far as I know nobody thinks I'm schizophrenic.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Atypical antipsychotics aren't just for schizophrenia or anything. They can have different uses. They can be used as sort of supplemental medicine to other anti-depressants. I've been on some kind for quite a while and as far as I know nobody thinks I'm schizophrenic.

I'm bipolar and was on Seroquel for a few years, never been diagnosed schizophrenic and only ever hallucinated a year later when my Ambien doses went to 20mg which should never have been prescribed to me in the first place

Seroquel has been approved for a bunch of conditions fairly recently but when I was on it it wasn't approved for depression so insurance wouldn't cover it and my folks were shelling out $400-$600 a month to keep me semifunctional

the interesting thing for me about being on Seroquel was that I had long, extremely vivid and involved dreams several times a week, but holy poo poo was the morning hangover debilitating

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

can i post dog pics and videos here? i swear i'll only post one a day

I say post as many as you want, all day long :unsmith:

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Atypical antipsychotics aren't just for schizophrenia or anything.
Right, which is why they’re now generally referred to as just “atypicals.” Because of the stigma associated with being “psychotic” or schizophrenic. At least according to my doctor. I think it’s kind of silly, but if it helps people out, then more power to them. My doc prescribed Abilify for depression to supplement the SSRI I was taking at the time. Joking aside, it really didn’t do anything for me, unfortunately.

Sometimes I wish I could experience the night-and-day difference that some people describe when they finally hit on the right medication(s). Instead, I just very slowly started feeling more functional. Now I can get out of bed and not have daily panic attacks and melt downs, but I still kinda feel lovely all the time. :(

mekyabetsu has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Mar 1, 2019

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Man, goons have brain problems.

My drug story is I got on escitalopram (lexapro) from a GP, which helped some with depression. Found a proper psychiatrist who adjusted the dose of that and added buspirone. Diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. At the time, adding the buspirone was like a magic night and day difference. I could just like, sit at my desk without my heart pounding for no reason. Over the years since I feel like I've acclimated so I no longer feel on top of the world, but still way better than worrying about everything (or even nothing) all the time.

Also I relate to that tweet about half assing stuff bc I'm a former gifted kid and have perfectionism problems like a motherfucker!

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Yeah if I have kids I'm gonna reward putting an effort in, not "You sure did that thing you find mind-numbingly easy, champ! Way to go!!!"

I got a lot of that and I'm a lazy prick with no discipline toward attempting poo poo I might well fail at.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i was a gifted child and i am now a gifted man

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it turns out my gift was depression

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it turns out my gift was depression

I got that once, I lost the receipt and couldn’t take it back :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm bipolar and was on Seroquel for a few years, never been diagnosed schizophrenic and only ever hallucinated a year later when my Ambien doses went to 20mg which should never have been prescribed to me in the first place

Seroquel has been approved for a bunch of conditions fairly recently but when I was on it it wasn't approved for depression so insurance wouldn't cover it and my folks were shelling out $400-$600 a month to keep me semifunctional

the interesting thing for me about being on Seroquel was that I had long, extremely vivid and involved dreams several times a week, but holy poo poo was the morning hangover debilitating

Nona refered to seroquil as industrial strength stfu and she was absolutely right, three days of that and I was staring at paint over nothing

what’s not in the op (and probably should be) is bipolar with psychotic features. that’s right! not only does your brain meats have a “turbo/shutdown” switch you don’t get access to, but you also get to see/hear things and disassociate randomly! There’s actually a lot of shame involved when people have it and it’s terrible they feel that way because it’s very disturbing when you can’t tell what’s real or not. plussociety has basically confused psychotic with psychopathic and has never bothered to unfuck itself.

that being said I’ve heard stories of psychotic breaks and yikes. One woman described herself feeling something behind her, and when she turned around, she was looking at the back of her own head. She spent an hour or two huddled in a corner until someone found her and got her to the hospital

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 06:28 on Mar 1, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Found a really really nice therapist and saw her today, one step closer to my ultimate goal of becoming an estrogen golem, heres hoping its that easy to get into a good endocrinologist

estrogen crime golem is a pro tier un

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Accidentally overdosed on Effexor once because I got drunk and forgot I had already taken it that day.

Mind loving melted. All kinds of hallucinations, ridiiiiculous paranoia, intrusive thoughts that threatened to override my own

It was around the time of the novichok attack in England and that had me absolutely terrified for like 3 days. Couldnt leave the house because I didnt trust myself not to fuckin flip

Fetal position thinking "Ive done it now fuuuuuuuuuck"

And that was the last time I took effexor lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Stoicism is good imo

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Today is officially day one of tapering off effexor. So naturally the people at the lunch table at work start sharing "fun" stories about getting hit as kids. Brought back some nasty memories.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goon Danton posted:

Today is officially day one of tapering off effexor. So naturally the people at the lunch table at work start sharing "fun" stories about getting hit as kids. Brought back some nasty memories.

coming off Effexor is gross so good luck. if you get the brain zaps at least take comfort in knowing you won’t be the first or last

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lawman 0 posted:

Stoicism is good imo

it’s ok :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I missed my appointment with a nurse practitioner two days ago because i was physically sick and now I have to wait two weeks to see her and so I cant get a prescription for those pills that dont let you drink alcohol so that sucks