Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Grillfiend posted:

I know an Eobhan. Pronounced Ay-oh-ban. I have to bite my tongue not to correct her own pronunciation of her name every time.

I'm assuming it's pronounced "Yvonne?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

Even at "sear-sha," that doesn't rhyme with "inertia." They're slightly different sounds that happen to end in an "uh," which doesn't make them rhyme.

How do you pronounce inertia?

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
People pronounce words differently to other people sometimes for reasons

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm assuming it's pronounced "Yvonne?"

Indeed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheMaskedUgly posted:

People pronounce words differently to other people sometimes for reasons

Proper nouns have actual correct pronunciations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Proper nouns have actual correct pronunciations.

One person’s name has a correct pronunciation but it doesn’t mean every person whose name is spelled that way has to be pronounced that way.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I saw Bohemian Rhapsody in theaters with my dad and sister without knowing that Bryan Singer directed it.

I’m not a rock historian either so I just remembered when I was a kid and dad would play a Queen cassette when we drove to visit the natural history and hands-on museums in Ann Arbor and my sister and I would laugh at the falsetto part of Bohemian Rhapsody.

We went to a pizza place after the movie and it was a nice family outing :negative:

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Feb 28, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

I assume even the Irish aren't sure how to pronounce most Irish words, so no, go ahead and report back.

Now that I think about it, going by the diacritic I'm pretty sure the consensus pronunciation at our school was actually off and we were emphasizing the wrong syllable. Close, though

I can’t do IPA, but she basically did “AW, shin” to my “er, SHEEN?” I stand by mine becaue I knew an Oisín once but since neither of us is irish, who knows.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can’t do IPA, but she basically did “AW, shin” to my “er, SHEEN?” I stand by mine becaue I knew an Oisín once but since neither of us is irish, who knows.

The i-fada is a long ee sound, and the s is going to sound like sh sitting next to the i. Depending on where it’s being said, it’s something like uh-sheen or o-sheen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody in theaters with my dad and sister without knowing that Bryan Singer directed it.

I’m not a rock historian either so I just remembered when I was a kid and dad would play a Queen cassette when we drove to visit the natural history and hands-on museums in Ann Arbor and my sister and I would laugh at the falsetto part of Bohemian Rhapsody.

We went to a pizza place after the movie and it was a nice family outing :negative:

Whatever else Rami Malek is a treasure and was factually incorrect Freddie Mercury alongside factually incorrect band mates but he made that poo poo look good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I thought Bohemin Rhapsody was ok. I get that facts get changed to make the story work better, but the whole sequence of Freddie falling out with the band and his solo work being a sign of of his out of control ego bothered me more than I expected.

(In reality the band was feeling burned out at the time after their most recent album and they all wanted to go off and do their own stuff for a bit. The other big change of course is that Freddie wasn’t diagnosed until a few years after the Live Aid concert, but it makes a better climax so that didn’t really bother me)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

I thought Bohemin Rhapsody was ok. I get that facts get changed to make the story work better, but the whole sequence of Freddie falling out with the band and his solo work being a sign of of his out of control ego bothered me more than I expected.

(In reality the band was feeling burned out at the time after their most recent album and they all wanted to go off and do their own stuff for a bit. The other big change of course is that Freddie wasn’t diagnosed until a few years after the Live Aid concert, but it makes a better climax so that didn’t really bother me)

I was really hoping they would show him performing the Highlander songs

I dunno maybe that was a studio only thing but Who Wants to Live Forever is a rocking good time

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Way too little Flash Gordon was in there in my opinion

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

I was really hoping they would show him performing the Highlander songs

I dunno maybe that was a studio only thing but Who Wants to Live Forever is a rocking good time

That ban reason

:chloe:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Len posted:

That ban reason

:chloe:

That post that caused it :yikes:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bell jar posted:

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bell jar posted:

Springfield isotopes??????

<checks post before that>

oooohhhhhhhhhhhh

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wait what? Where? Link?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Wait what? Where? Link?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=492966429

vvv yeah this is :nws: :nms: as gently caress vvv

bell jar has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Mar 1, 2019

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

This should come with a big ol rape warning in case you don't want to read about that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's, hmm. I raped someone but it's OK because they raped me back. Never seen that one before, admittedly.

Thought syscall girl was cool, but I don't know what happened there

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
just a little date rape buggery its cool lol wuu2?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oof and yikes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I assumed that springfield isotopes was edited or was some sort of code

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The old lady with the big knockers on "Soap" was only 48 when it started. She just died aged 89. I always thought she was like 70 on the show.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

I assumed that springfield isotopes was edited or was some sort of code

I think it was just an arbitrary post they could grab. My guess is the thread with the offending post had already been gassed and once a thread is gassed you can no longer cause a ban from one of those posts, because Radium.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it was just an arbitrary post they could grab. My guess is the thread with the offending post had already been gassed and once a thread is gassed you can no longer cause a ban from one of those posts, because Radium.

You can live forever on the forums as long as you get every thread you've ever posted in gassed.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I have conflated the movies "You've Got Mail" and "When Harry Met Sally" for years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have conflated the movies "You've Got Mail" and "When Harry Met Sally" for years.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen either one?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tom Hanks and Billy Crystal in a seedy IRC channel, swapping clips of Meg Ryan

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I mean, you can watch those back to back and 10 minutes later still conflate them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
When Harry Got Mail

You’ve Met Sally

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

HaB posted:

I mean, you can watch those back to back and 10 minutes later still conflate them.

Is everyone confusing When Harry Met Sally for Sleepless in Seattle? I've never seen any of them, but I know 2 of them have Hanks and Ryan and When Harry Met Sally has Billy Crystal and the fake orgasm scene.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity, have you seen either one?
I have not, maybe if I had --

HaB posted:

:lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is everyone confusing When Harry Met Sally for Sleepless in Seattle? I've never seen any of them, but I know 2 of them have Hanks and Ryan and When Harry Met Sally has Billy Crystal and the fake orgasm scene.

No, it's that every time I heard the movie title "When Harry Met Sally" I vaguely remembered the cover art for "You've Got Mail" since my brain just literally didn't care enough to remember they're different movies. I definitely knew it at one point though!!!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
You've Got Mail looped on the computers at my first job, yet I still cannot tell you anything specific about that movie other than I remember the indoor lighting on it being very yellow (may be a consequence of those early LCD screens), and Tom Hanks doing a big exaggerated click into an enter key on a laptop while in bed.

TBH I confuse it with Sleepless in Seattle more.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Amy Poehler is different from Amy Schumer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I still haven't seen You've Got Mail but I have it on VHS so one day...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yeah, those two make more sense to switch to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Joe vs. the Volcano is the first in the Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks trilogy, my best friend and I loved Meg Ryan growing up