Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Well drat I looked it up and you guys are right! That's really strange I wonder what the reasoning for that is? Im assuming in the truck it's a cost thing to run Flex especially in Midwestern states but isn't the hardware and sensors still present on the mustang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Probably programming or support gear. The mustang gets more power out of basically the same engine. Compression difference? VVT difference? Dunno.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Coyotes pulled from junked F150s are very popular from what I've seen. It saves a pile of $$. Almost all the coyote'd fox bodies I've seen have F150 pulled engines.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Seamonster posted:

Coyotes pulled from junked F150s are very popular from what I've seen. It saves a pile of $$. Almost all the coyote'd fox bodies I've seen have F150 pulled engines.

They also like boost :)

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
This was really helpful thanks much for it. I don't *mind* tuning the car at some point but like i said before as i had to have one mt-82 replaced on my old mustang I'm a bit wary, but not wary enough to buy a GT350.

Also I'd like to note that the depreciation on later models is much higher than it was on my 13. I traded mine in 2014 and got something like 32k for it which was about what I owed. However I'm seeing pp2 cars selling for 28k and these cars were initially at least 40 mere months ago new.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

F150 coyotes have a bunch of differences with mustang coyotes, like the intake manifold, camshafts, even the firing order is different. they still make great power and are just as strong as mustang coyotes afaik.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Care to back up that the firing order is different? It's different on the voodoo, but afaik not between the coyotes.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

ilkhan posted:

Care to back up that the firing order is different? It's different on the voodoo, but afaik not between the coyotes.

Sure!

Looked it up, it's only different on 15+ f150 coyotes. 11-14 mustang/f150 share the same firing order and F150s 15+ use the same firing order as the older modular V8s. Really the only thing i can think of that this would affect is if you're swapping in a 15+ f150 engine and want to use aftermarket camshafts. edit: or maybe if you bought the engine and ECU/harness separately.

JQADDINGMACHINE fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 27, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I... holy poo poo what the gently caress Ford?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hey y'all, got a question. I'm trying to identify some superfluous connectors in a 2000 Mustang GT (w/ Mach 460). The car had an aftermarket headunit when I bought it, and I'm currently replacing it with something that isn't a Sony. However, there are three connectors which were unused up until this point, and I wanted to find out what they are. (These were all unplugged for the last ~5holy gently caress I've had my 'stang for 7 years, and nothing wasn't working.)

#1:

#2:

#3:

#1 I have no idea
#2 kind of looks like a power connector - optional extra cigarette lighter? (There's one near there that's currently plugged in already.)
#3 I have no idea, but it looks like a 6pin version of the 8pin Mach 460 connector. Edit: There's actually two of these.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 1, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the one with two is for the CD changer I think. The single thing is probably a ground wire. The first one you list I have no idea if it isn't power it is probably a wire to the factory external amplifier.

Another options is a connection for a subwoofer amplifier factory installed

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 1, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I think the one with two is for the CD changer I think. The single thing is probably a ground wire. The first one you list I have no idea if it isn't power it is probably a wire to the factory external amplifier.

Another options is a connection for a subwoofer amplifier factory installed
Groovy, thank you!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

H2SO4 posted:

Yeah, towed against my will unfortunately. It's a special kind of hell watching a couple dickheads break into your car and tow it on the dashcam.

I got free time so I'll be going after them if they don't want to pay which I fully expect to be the case. Worst case scenario if I don't get any traction I'll just file a comp claim and let progressive sue them, I just don't wanna go that route if I can avoid it.

Whyd you get towed?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Hood release cable is no longer attached to the plastic interior panel on my new edge. I'm going to wait until spring to mess with it, because 20 year old cold plastic is prone to snapping even more.

What would you call that panel? I couldn't find it on Rockauto.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Unlikely you'll find a part like that on rockauto, will likely have to go the junkyard/ebay route.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZTwINOsk30

It was in the 60's the other day so I took the fun car to work. sadly it's already back to like 40 degrees and raining.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZTwINOsk30

It was in the 60's the other day so I took the fun car to work. sadly it's already back to like 40 degrees and raining.

I swear there more I see 4th gen Mustangs the cooler they get. Amazing sound!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone ever use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3S+ tires? The stock Pirelli tires on my 2016 GT only have 18.5k miles on them but the traction kinda sucks. I’m trying to avoid leaving all seasons behind because I don’t have room to store separate sets of wheels.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I've never used the A/S 3+, but it consistently gets really good reviews from both Tire Rack's professional testing and from word-of-mouth customers. It's seems to be the consensus choice for the "best performing" all season tire. Other highly-rated all season tires at lower price points than Michelin are the Pirelli P Zero "All Season Plus" (which is a newer model than the old P Zero Nero tires you probably have). The General GMAX AS-05 seems to get solid reviews for a budget all-season tire.

I've been looking at tires because the 18" 235/50 P Zero Nero tires that came on my '18 Mustang GT don't quite seem up to the task.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is it normal for them to be losing their game at 18k? I don’t break traction often but I drive with a heavy foot 99.9 percent of the time.

I can get 4 Michelin’s installed today for a 3 digit number and I think I’m going to pull the trigger.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
From what I just read from a couple of different tire places, is that its a freaking fantastic tire but shelf life is indeed short at around 18k miles. The tire comes with 45k mile warranty though. its pro-rated based on treadware though.
https://www.michelinman.com/upload/michelin_us/Michelin_Replacement_Owners_Manual_Warranty_MDW41156_REV_1217.pdf
a set of 4 tires though fro 3 digits is a good price. I cant fault you for pulling the trigger.

I would only be concerned if you wear it down during the summer, and then you got poo poo tires in the winter.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I could get three sets of my tires for a three digit number. :q:

I have the general gmax rs, which if you go to the website is "the official tire of the new Saleen 30th Anniversary Edition Mustang"

Ok.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Anyone have spring mods lined up this year?

I am going to attempt a full transmission change, filter, torque converter drain, and a jmod.
I just have to get gaskets for the valve body. depending on how this goes, I may consider doing a higher stall TC for next year to compliment the jmod.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just some tire shaving for weight savings.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kalvick posted:

torque converter drain

What? Why?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Speaking of spring mods and rubber turning to poo poo, I just replaced the antenna on mine.

https://mm.bonzoesc.net/media_attachments/files/000/281/504/original/bff020d576ab5927.mp4

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

The fluid is probably 20 years old. I never think about it because I put so low miles on the car.
Im not too concerned about clutch material being in there and causing slippage if I do a complete change though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The fluid in the torque converter is the same fluid that's in the rest of the transmission, so why go to the extra effort of draining it and then having to pump it back up when you start the car? Does Ford actually put a drain plug on the converter or something? I'd just do two or three fluid changes in the pan with some driving in between and call it good.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

The fluid in the torque converter is the same fluid that's in the rest of the transmission, so why go to the extra effort of draining it and then having to pump it back up when you start the car? Does Ford actually put a drain plug on the converter or something? I'd just do two or three fluid changes in the pan with some driving in between and call it good.

The 4r70w and the TC uses 13 quarts of transmission fluid. Dropping the pan and changing the filter, only removed 4 or 5 quarts. 6 quarts or so are in the TC.
then there is some more in the transmission cooler that I have installed and any tubes/pipes in the system have about a quart in them.
There is a drain plug in the TC, to get to it you have to use a breaker bar, to turn the crank. then you unplug it, and let it drain out.
then you put everything back together, and you put in 5 quarts or so, start the car fro 30 seconds, and let the transmission pump fluid back to the TC. repeat the process until you got 12 to 13 quarts back into the system.

At 10 bucks a quart, flushing it out two or three times, would make the process extremely expensive to do.

however.... if I did the fluid swap every few years instead of 20, lol, yea, just dropping the pan is prolly good enough!!!

kalvick fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 3, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Will an ecoboost 2.3 bolt up to a 96 4.6 manual transmission?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Will an ecoboost 2.3 bolt up to a 96 4.6 manual transmission?

As long as the bellhousing is compatible.... yes? I could be wrong, but I dont think there are any.

If you get a t56 instead of a t54 transnission, then you could.... https://lmr.com/item/RM-8089/mustang-ecoboost-quick-time-t56-bell-housing-15-18

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Not many swap guides out there I must be the only person that sees an endless supply of wrecked mustang ecoboost motors on ebay no one wants.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I bought another mustang :negative:.

:unsmith:

E: Oh right details.

2017 GT w/ Performance Pack and Cloth Recaros (Non-Premium 300A package). 87 miles on the ODO. 27k out the door :whatup:
I never used the tech package on the last one anyway.

It is now also my only 4-wheeled vehicle and will be the DD for the forseeable future so I guess steel rims and snow tires are in my future next winter.

E: Cage lets meet up you can actually see this one.

E2:

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 19, 2019

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Elephanthead posted:

Not many swap guides out there I must be the only person that sees an endless supply of wrecked mustang ecoboost motors on ebay no one wants.

to be fair, usually the ecoboost motors blow before they're driven into trees

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Digital_Jesus posted:

2017 GT w/ Performance Pack and Cloth Recaros (Non-Premium 300A package). 87 miles on the ODO. 27k out the door :whatup:

It is now also my only 4-wheeled vehicle and will be the DD for the forseeable future so I guess steel rims and snow tires are in my future next winter.

Ok hit me up when you get past the break in period. :getin:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

I dont remember what area you lived in.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Why the hell do people keep creating "Mustang Registries?"

Keep seeing people shilling to get members for poo poo like "blue mustang registry" and the like.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

H2SO4 posted:

Why the hell do people keep creating "Mustang Registries?"

Keep seeing people shilling to get members for poo poo like "blue mustang registry" and the like.
Cuz its a group you ain't in, sucka.

My mustang is unique, unlike yours.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
poo poo I wanna be this cool :(

Edit: hey guys i'm starting the goon mustang registry oc do not steal

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Car update: 450 miles and only issue I noticed now resolved.

Boot on the transmission wasn't seated to the bottom of the console and was letting hot air in. My shifter no longer burns me!