Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you just know some hollywood exec has pitched a remake recently

just imagine it: a woke movie that says the n word a lot, in 2019

Blazing Saddles is the greatest Western ever told, and I will die on this hill. :colbert: Also, :laffo: if anyone actually tries to remake it in TYOL 2019.

StashAugustine posted:

This but Starship Troopers and also unironically

Verhoeven movies, where Verhoeven has free reign to criticize poo poo, are pretty crystal clear. Lol that it took the rest of the world years to realize Starship Troopers was making fun of the fetishization of the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

I don't know if the world will ever be able to handle a second Blazing Saddles.

it couldn't even handle a reboot of In Living Color, which still owns even though most of the references are painfully dated

i mean come on, try not laughing at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK8JX6TpAcE or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_2sAGYI-Q (the reactions in the latter one are real, it's the first time the rest of the cast saw that character)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
homie the clown regularly mocked welfare

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1101135115126796289

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Troy Queef posted:

it couldn't even handle a reboot of In Living Color, which still owns even though most of the references are painfully dated

i mean come on, try not laughing at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK8JX6TpAcE or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_2sAGYI-Q (the reactions in the latter one are real, it's the first time the rest of the cast saw that character)

:agreed:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

homie the clown regularly mocked welfare

Homey D. Clown loving rules, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

jim sterling just did a video that outlines the THQ 8chan AMA debacle and brings it to a wider point of how stupid brands that try to be woke and/or hip are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJpnm1vwc_I

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Wu_Tang_Finance/status/1098223029103063045?s=20

https://twitter.com/Wu_Tang_Finance/status/1098225593454338049?s=20

wu tang financial is all in for Schultz

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if schultz ran at any other time in recent history, we'd be laughing at him instead of getting all mad and nude

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

if schultz ran at any other time in recent history, we'd be laughing at him instead of getting all mad and nude

i'm still laughing at him, idk about you

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm still laughing at him, idk about you
i don't care about him because i know he won't do poo poo

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
id be madder about hte prospect of him trying to gently caress the dems if i didnt have full faith in the dems ability to gently caress themselves regardless

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

i don't care about him because i know he won't do poo poo

BREAKING: Howard Schultz has become black pilled

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

crosspostin'

Professor of Cats posted:

https://twitter.com/ATFHQ/status/1101168946873593857
(the comments)
Hey guys, I dont think this is gonna go how you think it is gonna go...

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Four hundred years from now someone is going to analyze Airplane! and focus on how jive was a well known dialect at the time and how airplane food was historically not very well preserved and ask students the deeper meaning of "I just want to tell you both good luck, we're all counting on you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
damnation is a show about communist cowboys and it's on netflix. it's not a very good western, or a very good drama series, or a very good communist series, but it's an interesting dynamic.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I give it my red stamp of approval

Dude sniping cops from the train was good TV

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
of the whatever 10 episodes i would say like 3 are worth watching, and cop snipe is definitely one of them

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bell jar posted:

crosspostin'

:laffo: those comments

https://twitter.com/NoCupsOrLiberty/status/1101245012065566720

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That is always my favorite arguement. "GuNz WoN't PrOtEcT yOu FrOm A nUkE." But if a government is nuking it's citizens, I've already won.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Idk how those people ever imagine supply lines working to keep all those planes/tanks/drones operating when there is a full on domestic insurrection going on

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Idk how those people ever imagine supply lines working to keep all those planes/tanks/drones operating when there is a full on domestic insurrection going on

the us military managed (to a degree) to do it in iraq

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like they all aren't happily going to sign up to be stormtroopers (and in the case of cops, already have) anyway.

IIRC the current argument from the left is less for defending oneself against the military, more against right-wing mobs trying to perform lynchings and massacres.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shear Modulus posted:

the us military managed (to a degree) to do it in iraq

Idk if really the the same thing though, they still had the entire domestic logistics system backing them. They could ship supplies in, they didn't have to make anything locally.

Like maybe if they had production localized in the east coast and started there but that's not really the case because legislators have ensured parts have to come from basically every state in the union and iirc what people in the military have told me it is kind of a small miracle that poo poo works at all.

I'm sure they'll be fine for a bit but if we're talking wide scale domestic insurrection... There's a lot of moving parts that can get jammed up and suddenly all your planes have no bombs or fuel. Tanks need spare parts constantly and usually have to be shipped around via rail. Soldiers need food and ammo. They need to get paid and supplies probably need to be purchased from foreign governments willing to help but presumably the value of the dollar in this situation is nil.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Mar 2, 2019

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
the us will just nuke the south in the next civil war!

Welp the entire strategic oil reserve is gone also over 70% of your enlisted army has defected at best, or become insurgents at worst. Yea, this is a winning plan.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The government is made up of people. It can be torn down by people. :shrug:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Moridin920 posted:

The government is made up of people. It can be torn down by people. :shrug:

agreed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Moridin920 posted:

Idk if really the the same thing though, they still had the entire domestic logistics system backing them. They could ship supplies in, they didn't have to make anything locally.

Like maybe if they had production localized in the east coast and started there but that's not really the case because legislators have ensured parts have to come from basically every state in the union and iirc what people in the military have told me it is kind of a small miracle that poo poo works at all.

I'm sure they'll be fine for a bit but if we're talking wide scale domestic insurrection... There's a lot of moving parts that can get jammed up and suddenly all your planes have no bombs or fuel. Tanks need spare parts constantly and usually have to be shipped around via rail. Soldiers need food and ammo. They need to get paid and supplies probably need to be purchased from foreign governments willing to help but presumably the value of the dollar in this situation is nil.

How many riots do you think they'll have to drop bombs on before people give up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Supply chains go the other way too. Cut off power, water and medicine to a suburb and they'll be surrendering in like, a day.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

yeah the afghanis really got out from under the US’ thumb huh

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like they all aren't happily going to sign up to be stormtroopers (and in the case of cops, already have) anyway.

this is always fun when a new party takes over in america. JADE HELM was OBAMA DESTROYING AMERICA WITH SHARIA LAW but Trump puts an actual army on the southern border and got cheered for it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i unironically wish Jade Helm were real because Texas needs a government that isn't the most actively evil in the country outside of Arizona

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1102306649602170884

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i unironically wish Jade Helm were real because Texas needs a government that isn't the most actively evil in the country outside of Arizona

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1102306649602170884

top gun?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In Black Panther the protagonist, having lost his political position in a legitimate transfer of power, immediately seeks out the CIA's assistance to retake it in a military coup.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

In Black Panther the protagonist, having lost his political position in a legitimate transfer of power, immediately seeks out the CIA's assistance to retake it in a military coup.
oh, i'm well aware. the worst part about pop culture that panders to wokelibs is that the creators explicitly acknowledge its political bent. jk rowling and disney take it the furthest

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like Harry Potter and all but the wizards are some feudalistic shithead hoarders. Why are there poor wizards at all?

Why doesn't Harry ever take some of his massive gold hoard and just anonymously send Ron some cool stuff and new clothes for Christmas? Rons too proud to take a new wand for a year or a cool broomstick?

What's the deal with enslaving non-human magical creatures and why is Hermione painted as an idiot for going against the natural order wrt house elves?

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Mar 4, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

reminder that the recent hp movie makes clear that humans can have kids with house elves, who are literal slaves and also the size of children

e: v it's the sequel to that

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Mar 4, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

reminder that the recent hp movie makes clear that humans can have kids with house elves, who are literal slaves and also the size of children

:eyepop: I watched that fantastic beasts movie from a year or two ago and don't remember that, uh, did i miss something?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Moridin920 posted:

I like Harry Potter and all but the wizards are some feudalistic shithead hoarders. Why are there poor wizards at all?

Why doesn't Harry ever take some of his massive gold hoard and just anonymously send Ron some cool stuff and new clothes for Christmas? Rons too proud to take a new wand for a year or a cool broomstick?

What's the deal with enslaving non-human magical creatures and why is Hermione painted as an idiot for going against the natural order wrt house elves?

yeah the existence of poor people in a fantastical magical world always hosed me up

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I also recall at least one extended bit of the books where Harry is justifying to himself that he shouldn't just give Ron's family his massive fortune because they'd be too proud to accept it.

ed: which from what I've heard of Rowling's financial situation while she was writing the first books kinda makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Weasleys seem to be poor but getting by, the dad has a good government job with little oversight and magic helps a lot, and the main thing is bringing up seven kids in one house, who are already in the process of moving out and becoming massive overachievers throughout the books.

Which is probably some bullshit in its own way, really.