Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

Is this online somewhere? I'm jonesing for more Cube.

Also, with the review bombing, doesn't Steam make you buy the game first before you can review it? If not, why not?

Here it is! It also has stuff like sections of rooms where time passes faster or slower than others, which can rapidly age individual parts of you that accidentally enter them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chitoryu12 posted:

Here it is! It also has stuff like sections of rooms where time passes faster or slower than others, which can rapidly age individual parts of you that accidentally enter them.

Oh, thank you! Also I am totally down for those things.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Is this online somewhere? I'm jonesing for more Cube.

Also, with the review bombing, doesn't Steam make you buy the game first before you can review it? If not, why not?

The publisher is PRC so it's not out of the question for some government official to request a pile of keys specifically to voice their displeasure through Steam.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

The publisher is PRC so it's not out of the question for some government official to request a pile of keys specifically to voice their displeasure through Steam.

That could be, but it'd be good for Valve to say that for sure, that it's all people with keys. Also it'd be good if the "check this box if you received this product for free" on the review screen was automatically checked for you on promo keys.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
wasn't something pretty close to that script released? I remember an equivalent tesseract consumption moment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

wasn't something pretty close to that script released? I remember an equivalent tesseract consumption moment.

It was, but it was heavily rewritten and doesn't engage in the most confusing and mind/body-bending stuff.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Skyscraper posted:

That could be, but it'd be good for Valve to say that for sure, that it's all people with keys. Also it'd be good if the "check this box if you received this product for free" on the review screen was automatically checked for you on promo keys.

Keys don't count towards the aggregate review score on Steam, even if distributed through Steam itself via Curator Connect or some other method. The only way Devotion could have its review score destroyed like it did were for individual users to purchase the game through Steam before leaving a review.

(This is referring specifically to the capsule score at the top of the store page and in store tooltips. The score found below in the review section can be customized on a per-user basis.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Keys don't count towards the aggregate review score on Steam
This is probably a dumb question, but does this apply to keys obtained through things like Bundles? They're a purchase, but not a Steam purchase.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Too Shy Guy posted:

Keys don't count towards the aggregate review score on Steam, even if distributed through Steam itself via Curator Connect or some other method. The only way Devotion could have its review score destroyed like it did were for individual users to purchase the game through Steam before leaving a review.

(This is referring specifically to the capsule score at the top of the store page and in store tooltips. The score found below in the review section can be customized on a per-user basis.)

Gold-plating all those games gave you some experience in this! :v:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Cardiovorax posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but does this apply to keys obtained through things like Bundles? They're a purchase, but not a Steam purchase.

So reviews on Steam are split into two categories, shown by the icons on the top right of each review (ONLY on the store page, not in the review itself):

The key icon is for reviews from accounts that redeemed a key to get their copy of the game. This is for any source that is not a direct purchase through Steam, which includes third-party sites like GreenMan Gaming or Amazon, bundles like Humble or Fanatical, backer keys through Kickstarter, and keys sent directly through Steam for review purposes or even gifts bought through Steam.

The Steam icon is for reviews from accounts that purchased the game directly through Steam. Only direct purchases, only through Steam, no exceptions whatsoever.

For the aggregate review score that appears all across Steam, at the top of the store page and on tooltips and for ranking purposes on searches, ONLY reviews with the Steam icon count (across all languages, too). You can customize the score shown below in the review section to include key reviews, exclude reviews in other languages, etc., but the big visible important score is calculated only from users who bought the game on Steam for themselves.

Skyscraper posted:

Gold-plating all those games gave you some experience in this! :v:

It's partly me being a huge nerd but also that Steam has such a dumb review system that can leave legitimate, useful reviews buried under piles of one-line garbage that I had to learn how it worked to keep myself visible.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alright, thanks. Man, the things they don't tell you there, huh?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's partly me being a huge nerd but also that Steam has such a dumb review system that can leave legitimate, useful reviews buried under piles of one-line garbage that I had to learn how it worked to keep myself visible.

Oh, yeah, that's good research, I just figured it was unknowable or that I'm writing bad reviews. Both of which may be true, but also I guess getting all my games through humblebundle is doing me no favors. Still worth it!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I finished RE2 this afternoon. Pretty fun game but glad I rented it over buying it because I don't know if I'd play through it enough times to justify the price right now.

Super surprised to see the sewer gator make a return. I didn't think it was gonna be back

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
New Call of Cthulu was pretty drat bland. I don't mind low production values if you're game has a spark or is otherwise interesting.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

I finished RE2 this afternoon. Pretty fun game but glad I rented it over buying it because I don't know if I'd play through it enough times to justify the price right now.

Super surprised to see the sewer gator make a return. I didn't think it was gonna be back
Shout out to the 1st person mod that lets you pretend you're in a sequel to RE7:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/05/resident-evil-2-mod-lets-you-play-in-first-person-mode/

Did the 2nd playthrough this way, and it only broke things once (fixed by disabling 1st person during that bossfight)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Disposable Scud posted:

New Call of Cthulu was pretty drat bland. I don't mind low production values if you're game has a spark or is otherwise interesting.

It had good atmosphere occasionally but was the least imaginative thing they could have done with the property

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s disappointing

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqBk32CENM
This looks pretty neat

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If only it wasn’t a platformer. Nothing sucks away the tension of horror like checkpoints and death.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Faith II trip report: it good. Haven't finished it yet, tho, so who knows, that might change.

I'm going into this mostly fresh, so the note bit got me pretty good. Well played, game.

Not super thrilled with the backtracking from far-away checkpoints since the movement is slow as balls. Also noticed that

Bogart posted:

Nothing sucks away the tension of horror like checkpoints and death.

this doesn't apply quite as heavily as it does in games that are more graphics-heavy, save in the instance mentioned above. Something about the simplicity and all the same dissonant voices AND THE NOTE THING keep it pretty tense.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
https://store.steampowered.com/app/599080/The_Blackout_Club/

Anyone tried The Blackout Club? Weird little co-op horror game that wants to be Stranger Things like retro horror, but not explicitly in the 1980s. Still incredibly Early Access, but eh, looks interesting.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 2, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Interesting concept but the game looks like total poo poo.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Crabtree posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/599080/The_Blackout_Club/

Anyone tried The Blackout Club? Weird little co-op horror game that wants to be Stranger Things like retro horror, but not explicitly in the 1980s. Still incredibly Early Access, but eh, looks interesting.

I have some buddies I often play co-op games with, we all picked it up after it hit EA in November. Concept is fun, and the potential for really, really cool poo poo is there. The gameplay when we last played desperately rewarded just cheesing the gently caress out of everything, but they've made some serious changes since then.

Straight up, though, if you're looking for a horror experience, you're not going to get much of one. The scariest moments were in the first few missions, where I had to guide my group through an area with roaming enemies using my drone, and none of us had upgraded skills to handle the situation when it went sideways.

Right now, Keep An Eye on It/10

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yall might like "WHEN THE DARKNESS COMES", a free walking simulator with modest horror elements. Some jump scares but I thought they were appropriately placed. One playthrough is about an hour

General spoilers: REALLY nice visuals and use of lighting, it almost makes me wish they'd thrown in nasties to chase you around in some of them. As it is, the trailer makes it seem more action-packed than it really was. I was initially not very impressed as it's kind of a mish-mash of some popular indie game tropes (4th wall breaking + depression simulator + a little 'haunted program') but at a certain point I got hooked in and really enjoyed the ride

It's one of those games that uses information from your computer for... things so be aware of that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
started and finished devotion

it was very nice for what it was, with only a few missteps (could have done without the cliche "out drat'd spot" bit and the entire chase sequence), shame that it broke china's brain so badly it got kicked off the internet

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yall might like "WHEN THE DARKNESS COMES", a free walking simulator with modest horror elements. Some jump scares but I thought they were appropriately placed. One playthrough is about an hour

General spoilers: REALLY nice visuals and use of lighting, it almost makes me wish they'd thrown in nasties to chase you around in some of them. As it is, the trailer makes it seem more action-packed than it really was. I was initially not very impressed as it's kind of a mish-mash of some popular indie game tropes (4th wall breaking + depression simulator + a little 'haunted program') but at a certain point I got hooked in and really enjoyed the ride

It's one of those games that uses information from your computer for... things so be aware of that

this had a few nice setpieces but overall came off as a way more pretentious and less effective IMSCARED

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i watched a bit of when the darkness comes, does it do more past being depressed & shy or a massive incel, i can't tell?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i watched a bit of when the darkness comes, does it do more past being depressed & shy or a massive incel, i can't tell?

not really, no

if you're going to portray overwhelming existential ennui in this day and age then you've got to do a little more than shoving the phrase LIFE IS MEANINGLESS in my face every few minutes

you think you know depression, vaguely frenchy-sounding game developer? you are like a little baby

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

started and finished devotion

it was very nice for what it was, with only a few missteps (could have done without the cliche "out drat'd spot" bit and the entire chase sequence), shame that it broke china's brain so badly it got kicked off the internet

They devs said they will bring it back after "bug fixing", so I'm patiently waiting its return.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I watched a playthrough of Faith Chapter 2 and I'm disappointed in how (heavy spoilers for the game's ending and general plot) how the game ended up falling back on the old mentally ill cliche by being being all like "mentally unstable person kills people and thinks they're just fighting demons" and that was just annoying, even if the plot ends up not going that way in the future. For now it has been presented as all in the protagonist's head as far as I can tell and that he's just dreaming everything up.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

I watched a playthrough of Faith Chapter 2 and I'm disappointed in how (heavy spoilers for the game's ending and general plot) how the game ended up falling back on the old mentally ill cliche by being being all like "mentally unstable person kills people and thinks they're just fighting demons" and that was just annoying, even if the plot ends up not going that way in the future. For now it has been presented as all in the protagonist's head as far as I can tell and that he's just dreaming everything up.

Isn't that the case with both Faith and Faith 2, depending on which ending you get? There's some that don't fall on that cliche.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Dienes posted:

Isn't that the case with both Faith and Faith 2, depending on which ending you get? There's some that don't fall on that cliche.

It's ending-dependent, yes.

EDIT: And dreaming everything up doesn't necessarily mean 'mentally ill' in the case of the Faith games. It could be prophetic! Or just a sign that priest friend has a touch of the (no-really-it's-actually-the-)debbil.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 6, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I just watched a video of the first Faith and whatever subtext there may be to it, I just can't really imagine anyone playing that game and taking it seriously.

'mAI gawD! what haPpuNd hEEr??'
'doo yoo thunk ai'M prettuh?'
*spooky orchestral sting*

It's a great self-parody, but I'm not sure I'd call it great horror. It's like trying to do a rendition of Silence of the Lambs in finger paint or claymation. There's stylistic retro and then there's going so far over the edge that your medium starts working against you.

I mean, it's a hilarious and fun romp through my memories of C64 era, but I'm not sure I could ever find it scary.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

I just watched a video of the first Faith and whatever subtext there may be to it, I just can't really imagine anyone playing that game and taking it seriously.

'mAI gawD! what haPpuNd hEEr??'
'doo yoo thunk ai'M prettuh?'
*spooky orchestral sting*

It's a great self-parody, but I'm not sure I'd call it great horror. It's like trying to do a rendition of Silence of the Lambs in finger paint or claymation. There's stylistic retro and then there's going so far over the edge that your medium starts working against you.

I mean, it's a hilarious and fun romp through my memories of C64 era, but I'm not sure I could ever find it scary.

IDK, maybe it's 'cause I'm getting into the territory of being An Old now, but I find Faith 2 to be a lot more effective with its use of weird-brooding-tension than other games I've played. The janky voices, the crude graphics/etc, are all great at suggesting things that are going on, feel incredibly off-kilter (the voices), and generally just put you in a place of letting your mind wander, filling in the blanks on 'what the hell would this thing look like in better graphics?'

Compare and contrast with Last Door, which I honestly think is partly diminished by its self-imposed graphical limitations. There are ways in which it works for the genre (everyone having blank faces with no expressions), but the flashes of 'oh holy poo poo what was that' lose their impact quite a bit. They're just detailed enough to let you see the scope of a creature, but it all looks rather ho-hum at second glance. Faith does what it does fairly well by blending old, hackneyed methods and musical cues more familiar to older players, with the occasional startling moment or bit of imagery, and it makes very good use of its more detailed cutscenes (which were unheard of in the Intellivision-style era that it's replicating).

So, I found it evocative in its own way, but I suppose I'm approaching it as an era-locked (and as a result, far more naive) medium that breaks its own rules in the moments that it matters most.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

The janky voices, the crude graphics/etc, are all great at suggesting things that are going on, feel incredibly off-kilter (the voices), and generally just put you in a place of letting your mind wander, filling in the blanks on 'what the hell would this thing look like in better graphics?'
I haven't looked at Faith 2 yet, so I can't comment on that, but if I had to guess? The Exorcist. It's literally just The Exorcist in pre-NES ultra lo-fi.

Which, honestly, is really kind of cool. It's a love letter to mid-80s era licensed video games and it imitates what I remember of that time incredibly well.

It just isn't, you know, scary.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

I haven't looked at Faith 2 yet, so I can't comment on that, but if I had to guess? The Exorcist. It's literally just The Exorcist in pre-NES ultra lo-fi.

Only in the sense of 'catholic priest' and 'demon possession,' which is quite a reach.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it's a fair comparison to make. With the sheer impact that movie had on popular culture, that's not the kind of thing you do unintentionally. You don't see a lot of masked guys with chainsaws in a rural setting and not expect people call out the parallels to Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Every time I play Faith I find myself trying to say MORTIS in the tone the game does.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Faith games share a little of the Excorcist in theme, but stylistically they're much closer to Italian supernatural horror like Inferno or Cemetery Man which are far more surreal and "is this real or a metaphor?" as well as just having stark imagery and bold colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I love the neon rotoscoped cutscenes from Faith, that poo poo looks so good