Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Joe Biden is that boomer

he's gonna sweep the 4chan vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1101283517563047936

working great so far

millenials love the gently caress out of mike pence right?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Hate has won.

I understand that we can't do anything about it at this time, but the future is still ours.

This election a sexist, racist, bankrupt homophobe has achieved leadership of our country. He has no political resume.

Who does? Hillary Clinton.

Hillary has worked her entire life to make our world a better place. She deserves the presidency. Right now she, like the rest of us, must be dumbfounded as to how a man going on trial for rape and fraud has gotten so far. But can take our lives back.

Hillary, it may take you time but I hope you'll accept.

Please run for president in the year 2020. We need a strong-minded woman to help bring us out of the grave Trump is making for this country.

Please run again. We need you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

a.lo posted:

Hate has won.

I understand that we can't do anything about it at this time, but the future is still ours.

This election a sexist, racist, bankrupt homophobe has achieved leadership of our country. He has no political resume.

Hillary has worked her entire life to make our world a better place. She deserves the presidency. Right now she, like the rest of us, must be dumbfounded as to how a man going on trial for rape and fraud has gotten so far. But can take our lives back.

Please run for president in the year 2020. We need a strong-minded woman to help bring us out of the grave Trump is making for this country.

source your quotes

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

a.lo posted:

Hate has won.

Right into my veins dude

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

a.lo posted:

Hate has won.

Jen kirkman is that you

Malah
May 18, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

Joe Biden is going to be president and we're all going to die.
Biden 2020: gently caress Them Kids

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1101283517563047936

working great so far

millenials love the gently caress out of mike pence right?

I am extremely ready to watch Biden eat poo poo this primary.

Malah
May 18, 2015

a.lo posted:

Hate has won.

:gethill:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

a.lo posted:

The most damning of charges to the lanyard class.:ohdear:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Majorian posted:

The most damning of charges to the lanyard class.:ohdear:

The sad thing is, this is probably entirely true.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

The Kingfish posted:

I am extremely ready to watch Biden eat poo poo this primary.

the media's disappointment and bewilderment over his crumble will make it all the sweeter

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The sad thing is, this is probably entirely true.

"It. Was. Her. TUUUUUUUURN!" shrieked Neera Tanden, as she achieved SSJ4 for the first time.:ssj:

KRock
Aug 13, 2007
College Slice
Not sure if this was posted yet, but it looks like Inslee is going to announce tomorrow.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/jay-inslee-2020-presidential-run-sources-confirm-he-ll-announce-on-friday/925874341

quote:

Jay Inslee has been considering a presidential run for months. He dodged reporters’ questions about it today. Sources tell KIRO-7 the announcement will come Friday.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

a.lo posted:

Hate has won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7-rhvknDx8

Silly little man, it seems you had
A big idea in your head
To come and conquer me

Now I don't mean to go and wreck your day
But ya better turn and run away
Or there'll be a big, big price to pay

Cause I am the one you should fear the most
Cause I am the one who will take you down
And as long as I exist
There's hope for the world
Hope for the world
Hope for the world
Hope for the world

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
First Inslee result from google.

quote:

Poll: Gov. Jay Inslee has zero percent support for president

That's an ouch.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
Biden is the Democratic party of the 1980's and the 1990's. Kamala Harris is the Democratic party of the 2010's. And Sanders is trying to be the Democratic party of the 2020's.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Inslees big thing is climate change, which is good because no one else is really making climate change the centerpiece of their campaign. I'm hoping he can bring the attention to it a bit more. He doesn't have a shot, but if he can shift the discussion I'll be happy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Quandary posted:

Inslees big thing is climate change, which is good because no one else is really making climate change the centerpiece of their campaign. I'm hoping he can bring the attention to it a bit more. He doesn't have a shot, but if he can shift the discussion I'll be happy

i can safely predict he'll be asked zero substantive questions about climate change

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ugh Hillary what...oh

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
Are we done with plant talk yet? Let's make peace with a topic we all agree on https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1101326448453971970?s=19

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Doctor pay is a minuscule amount of American health spending, and the numbers are skewed because many don’t make 300k.

You could also reasonably cut that pay if you made college and med school free, which would also serve to better democratize the profession (and democratizing it would help nullify some of the elitism of the profession that leads to rich doctors acting against the interest of poor patients).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There are 1.1 million doctors in the US, with an overall average salary of a little over 260 thousand. That is 275 billion, out of a total healthcare spending of 3.5 trillion. Doctor salaries are no 10% of total health spending.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

KingNastidon posted:

Are we done with plant talk yet? Let's make peace with a topic we all agree on https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1101326448453971970?s=19

cue the comic with the rich families not being able to buy a second yacht due to taxes.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

joepinetree posted:

There are 1.1 million doctors in the US, with an overall average salary of a little over 260 thousand. That is 275 billion, out of a total healthcare spending of 3.5 trillion. Doctor salaries are no 10% of total health spending.

yeah doctors aren't the real culprit when administration accounts for over a quarter of healthcare spending in the us

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the best way to deal with the topic of stuff like doctors salaries falling or rich people paying more than they currently do for healthcare is to literally just ignore it and not treat them as serious issues (because they aren't). You don't need to get the explicit approval of a majority of Americans about every single aspect of the bill; if you think it's a good thing to do, you just need to pass it. Responding seriously to such questions gives people the impression that the issues in question are legitimate and worth consideration.

edit: I've made this point a zillion times, but all you have to do is reframe this issue in the context of any other obviously important/moral issue to realize that the people raising these concerns are not on the right side. What kind of person says "but have you considered that people will be upset for X and Y reasons if you desegregate schools?" It simply isn't consistent with someone who actually views the issue in question as an important issue of social/economic justice. If you actually think it's important and are convinced of that fact, you shouldn't give a poo poo about the concerns people have.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 1, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

a.lo posted:

Hate has won.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

What happens when you lose the first two primaries?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/LeftwardSwing/status/1101233438885961734

gently caress you nancy pelosi

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Man M4A must really suck (for donors) then.

I feel like Pelosi is intentionally trying to embarrass all the people that defend her lovely politics at this point.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

he''s running (to force the other candidates to talk about climate change):

https://twitter.com/JayInslee/status/1101452101916360704

inslee's announcement brings us to 11 major candidates, though biden, brown, hickenlooper, o'rourke, and others could still jump in

e: vox has an interview with inslee discussing his candidacy here: https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/3/1/18244206/jay-inslee-president-climate-change-interview

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 1, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

As mentioned in the other thread if you read the interview it’s unclear if she was talking about literal Medicare for all, which actually isn’t as beneficial as the current system since Medicare doesn’t cover things like dental, or Medicare for All, which is a vastly improved Medicare system.

I think her point was that it’s not as simple as literally expanding Medicare to everyone, since the current Medicare plan is not as beneficial. You have to greatly improve and transform Medicare.

Although I will say that reading that makes me wonder how in tune she is with those most advocating for M4A. Since no one I know at least is talking about just expanding Medicare to everyone and getting rid of private insurance

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

QuoProQuid posted:

he''s running (to force the other candidates to talk about climate change):

https://twitter.com/JayInslee/status/1101452101916360704

inslee's announcement brings us to 11 major candidates, though biden, brown, hickenlooper, o'rourke, and others could still jump in

e: vox has an interview with inslee discussing his candidacy here: https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/3/1/18244206/jay-inslee-president-climate-change-interview

He’s right that climate change needs to be the number one priority. We can’t afford to focus on something else first and then not have enough time or energy to implement a GND.

Now maybe there’s a way to wrap up some other priorities in the GND, which the GND does. But the priority has to be doing what we can to getting to zero emissions as fast as possible. If other things we want suffer because of that, that’s just the way it will be. I hope we can do more, but we can’t risk not taking massive steps to address climate change because we were focused on other things.

Also he wants to end the filibuster so yay!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

theblackw0lf posted:

As mentioned in the other thread if you read the interview it’s unclear if she was talking about literal Medicare for all, which actually isn’t as beneficial as the current system since Medicare doesn’t cover things like dental, or Medicare for All, which is a vastly improved Medicare system.

I think her point was that it’s not as simple as literally expanding Medicare to everyone, since the current Medicare plan is not as beneficial. You have to greatly improve and transform Medicare.

Although I will say that reading that makes me wonder how in tune she is with those most advocating for M4A. Since no one I know at least is talking about just expanding Medicare to everyone and getting rid of private insurance

Looks like the interview happened in January, so it's possible she hadn't yet seen the proposals from Jayapal or Sanders and how they expanded Medicare benefits. But I find it more likely she's being disingenuous, especially with her "how will you pay for it" nonsense.

If I had to guess her play I'd say she's setting up to maintain as much of the status quo as possible, and if she can't completely fend off the progressives she'll push for a federal public option to be the compromise. Or she's a neoliberal ghoul out of touch with the modern Dem party. Either way.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

theblackw0lf posted:

considering the former is literally something no-one has suggested, then she's either disingenuous or idiotic. i think, when she's the loving leader of the party, that she should be aware of what people are proposing. her saying "medicare for all is (insert thing that hasn't been proposed)" shows she's unworthy of her position based on the fact she either isn't keeping up with frequently discussed issues in her party, she's too stupid to understand what's being proposed, or she's intentionally lying about the proposals of her own party.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Looks like the interview happened in January, so it's possible she hadn't yet seen the proposals from Jayapal or Sanders and how they expanded Medicare benefits. But I find it more likely she's being disingenuous, especially with her "how will you pay for it" nonsense.

If I had to guess her play I'd say she's setting up to maintain as much of the status quo as possible, and if she can't completely fend off the progressives she'll push for a federal public option to be the compromise. Or she's a neoliberal ghoul out of touch with the modern Dem party. Either way.

sanders' proposal has been on paper since well before january

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

She is obviously lying, she is not that bad at her job and not so stupid that she is unable to read the bills that have been submitted.

It's not far-fetched, there's a group of posters here who have done the same thing constantly in the healthcare thread. No matter how many times the bill has been quoted to them they pop up every few months and say "well Medicare doesn't have dental so akshually--"

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the best way to deal with the topic of stuff like doctors salaries falling or rich people paying more than they currently do for healthcare is to literally just ignore it and not treat them as serious issues (because they aren't). You don't need to get the explicit approval of a majority of Americans about every single aspect of the bill; if you think it's a good thing to do, you just need to pass it. Responding seriously to such questions gives people the impression that the issues in question are legitimate and worth consideration.

edit: I've made this point a zillion times, but all you have to do is reframe this issue in the context of any other obviously important/moral issue to realize that the people raising these concerns are not on the right side. What kind of person says "but have you considered that people will be upset for X and Y reasons if you desegregate schools?" It simply isn't consistent with someone who actually views the issue in question as an important issue of social/economic justice. If you actually think it's important and are convinced of that fact, you shouldn't give a poo poo about the concerns people have.

I have some small degree of sympathy for people who took on debt, years of training, and selected their specialty with certain salary expectations. Also, while doctor compensation is a small amount of health care spending, a lot of cost savings is going to come from that anyway, because they're not the ones in control. But, hey, most of these motherfuckers have been voting Republican anyway, there's been time to compromise and y'all missed it. I've worked in hospitals for years, and every doctor who truly believes in universal health care doesn't care about the impact it would have on their "lifestyle" because it's an ethical principle, and the rest are going to whine and lobby no matter what you do.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just package it with loan forgiveness for medical school debt, and a tax deduction for past paid-off medical school debt so the FYGM "I already paid mine" get something too.

Or not, maybe they'll oppose it no matter what, so we just don't do that and pass it anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I have some small degree of sympathy for people who took on debt, years of training, and selected their specialty with certain salary expectations. Also, while doctor compensation is a small amount of health care spending, a lot of cost savings is going to come from that anyway, because they're not the ones in control. But, hey, most of these motherfuckers have been voting Republican anyway, there's been time to compromise and y'all missed it. I've worked in hospitals for years, and every doctor who truly believes in universal health care doesn't care about the impact it would have on their "lifestyle" because it's an ethical principle, and the rest are going to whine and lobby no matter what you do.

Student debt refinancing and forgiveness is also something the candidates need to be pushing.

That said yeah the ones who've paid their debts, ok, maybe they only have one house, the horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gatts posted:

How come ol’ Joe doesn’t get the “he’s too old” label that Bernie gets?

because it's one of the few things to attack bernie on that carries any weight. biden's got about a hundred before you even get to his age.