Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I prefer RE 4 with controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

RandomFerret posted:

The original brick only happened to switches that were docked while being updated and it hasn't happened since as far as anybody can tell. There are a few docks on the market now that make it a point in their marketing that they aren't likely to brick your switch, although there's no way to be 100% certain.

You'll probably be fine with even a cheap dock from aliexpress as long as you take your switch out before you update, but you're ultimately rolling the dice no matter what you do.

cool. thanks. i’ll just go with nintendo then .. unless the bricking thing isn’t isolated to only 3rd party docks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I loving hate teris 99 more than any game I have ever played in my life.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Barudak posted:

Noooope. The wii-mote aiming makes accuracy pinpoint and removes the very import wandering Leon's aim does. Without this a key mechanic of both engaging player concentration under pressure as well as subtly curtailing the effective engagement range of weapons is lost and the game suffers for it.

Says you. RE4 Wii Edition was godlike and trying to play that game with a normal controller is like pulling teeth by comparison.

Nen
Feb 4, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

I think I loving hate teris 99 more than any game I have ever played in my life.

I feel you, it's tetris which is fun, ruined by bullshit from other people. Like it's cool to watch but playing it gave me an aneurysm.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
oh wow a game that's been a nickel in every Steam sale for the last ten years, on sale on Switch for $15.99 what a bargain

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nen posted:

I feel you, it's tetris which is fun, ruined by bullshit from other people. Like it's cool to watch but playing it gave me an aneurysm.

I'm worried I'll end up breaking my switch in half if I keep playing it.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

chaleski posted:

Have Pokémon walk around the map like Let's Go but have them react to the player i.e. Mankey and Spearow types chase you around and attack you and initiate a battle while more timid Pokémon might run and hide

They even had this in let's go already! Tentacruel would hunt you down in water. I've heard that if you had a steel type in your party, magnemites in the power plant would drift to you too, but have not confirmed.

Sequel title should totes be Pokemon Let's Go Already!

Nen
Feb 4, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

I'm worried I'll end up breaking my switch in half if I keep playing it.

Check out that game on kickstarter then Summer of Mara, the devs seem legit since they've delivered on a previous KS and they have done a lot of the development plus. It's only 15 bucks so not much lost. And the art is pretty.

I like Spoilers

Nen
Feb 4, 2019

xedo posted:

They even had this in let's go already! Tentacruel would hunt you down in water. I've heard that if you had a steel type in your party, magnemites in the power plant would drift to you too, but have not confirmed.

Sequel title should totes be Pokemon Let's Go Already!

Pokemon Let's Go off the Deep End. I'm pretty excited for sword and shield ngl.

I like Spoilers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Says you. RE4 Wii Edition was godlike and trying to play that game with a normal controller is like pulling teeth by comparison.

Its what it does. Some people like that the pistol got massively buffed in the Wii edition and that they dont have to engage the games mechanics as much.

Its not that you couldnt make a good motion control RE4, its just the way they went about it is detrimental.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone get ape out yet?

I snagged it and played it for about 15 minutes or so before I started making dinner....after the initial super long loading, it seems pretty fun. The style and music are great and work with the gameplay really well. At this point I don't know how much gametime I'll actually get out of it (it seems like it might be kinda short but seems like it probably has good replay) - but for $15 I consider it a decent pickup so far.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

The idea of watching a video game review this long may seem silly but this guy does great work. He’s also the guy that did the 6 and a half hour Dark Souls video so this is nothing.:lol:

Is that they guy that thought bioshock infinite needed to use the nword?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I don’t think I get Stardew Valley. It feels like work. And the walk speed is SO SLOW that it takes in-game hours just to get from my house to the blacksmith and back. Plus the paths around the town are weirdly non-direct. It feels like I spend so much of the day just walking around. It’s not really relaxing because the day is passing so fast and I feel like I’m just going to bed after barely doing anything.

Plus sometimes you walk all the way to the store or whatever and the NPC isn't even there.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

dantheman650 posted:

It’s not really relaxing because the day is passing so fast and I feel like I’m just going to bed after barely doing anything.

Me too, buddy.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

I don’t think I get Stardew Valley. It feels like work. And the walk speed is SO SLOW that it takes in-game hours just to get from my house to the blacksmith and back. Plus the paths around the town are weirdly non-direct. It feels like I spend so much of the day just walking around. It’s not really relaxing because the day is passing so fast and I feel like I’m just going to bed after barely doing anything.

Plus sometimes you walk all the way to the store or whatever and the NPC isn't even there.
the walk speed bugged me too, I recommend getting the horse and stable as soon as you can- it helps you get around faster and doesn't require any maintenance.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Barudak posted:

Noooope. The wii-mote aiming makes accuracy pinpoint and removes the very import wandering Leon's aim does. Without this a key mechanic of both engaging player concentration under pressure as well as subtly curtailing the effective engagement range of weapons is lost and the game suffers for it.

You're explaining why the wii edition is the best. The zombie animations are sped up to compensate for this, making the game harder than the ogs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
imagine aiming with a controller in the year 2019

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The controls are definitely more accurate with pointer sensor, but some RE purists will prefer the claustrophobic jank that only lovely joystick controls can offer

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Spellman posted:

The controls are definitely more accurate with pointer sensor, but some RE purists will prefer the claustrophobic jank that only lovely joystick controls can offer

I was happy that RE2 Remake went the route of "yeah we can make this game fun and challenging without making you loving fight the artificial difficulty of the controls"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

I was happy that RE2 Remake went the route of "yeah we can make this game fun and challenging without making you loving fight the artificial difficulty of the controls"

RE2 has pretty awkward controls.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So which will it be for March Nintendo Online?
The rumored SNES games as a special two year anniversary of the Switch
2 mediocre NES games while Japan still gets 3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Look into your heart: 1 NES game while japan gets 3

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Real hurthling! posted:

Or is it the guy who thought Wounded Knee was a Skyrim reference?

Nen
Feb 4, 2019

Barudak posted:

Look into your heart: 1 NES game while japan gets 3

fax right there

I like Spoilers

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is the Starlink digital deluxe edition worth the extra :10bux:? How do the extra ships and weapons and stuff affect the gameplay?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The ships are for one thing extra lives, but they have different stats and strengths and come with different weapons as well. So you mix and match parts for maneuverability, speed, durability. The pilots each have their own unique power you can use and leveling them up let's you purchase general upgrades that apply to everyone. Like for instance leveling up prospectors lets you purchase an ability that all mining stations generate more income or leveling up a mercenary character lets you buy one that all planetary defense has better shields.

The retail package with arwing includes two ships and three weapons and two pilots. The digital package I think it's like five ships, five pilots, nine or so weapons.

There are five weapon elements: gravity, antigravity, fire, ice, and kinetic. Digital will get you at least one of all five while physical just the latter three. You need all five for some optional puzzles that unlock advanced mods, and a lot of enemies are gravity so you'll really want anti grav. And gravity is also really strong.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Or is it the guy who thought Wounded Knee was a Skyrim reference?

Probably confused with the arrow in the knee, but still stupid.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yes, he thought the bioshock infinite protagonist’s Wounded Knee reference was a play on took an arrow to the knee

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

That's loving stupid, it's a reference to this

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Weedle posted:

Is the Starlink digital deluxe edition worth the extra :10bux:? How do the extra ships and weapons and stuff affect the gameplay?

They affect it by a ton.

Extra ships basically act as extra lives since you get a few seconds to swap to another one when the one you're using is destroyed, and that's on top of them all having different stats.
You want to have a bunch of weapons since there is a sort of elemental rock/paper/scissors thing going, plus certain containers can only be opened by certain elements, so basically you want at least one weapon of each element.
And the various pilots all have their own special ability and skill tree, though I mostly played as Fox when I played it.

So honestly it it's not that much more expensive I would go with the version that unlocks everything.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Could someone try to sell me on Starlink? I get the ships and the toys and stuff but, what is it you do in the game exactly? Is it a shmup? Is it a polished No Man's Sky? Both? How much time do you put into something like this?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Could someone try to sell me on Starlink? I get the ships and the toys and stuff but, what is it you do in the game exactly? Is it a shmup? Is it a polished No Man's Sky? Both? How much time do you put into something like this?

Its a 3rd person shooter but youre in a spaceship and I dont know why you need convincing cause it sounds like you want to buy it for Star Fox and while not great the Star Fox campaign is better than literally anything Nintendo has done with the property in the last 2 decades.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Deified Data posted:

Think No Man's Sky but with really nice, fast and smooth flight controls that make the dog fights actually fun. Now remove any ground combat because you never leave the ship, no lovely crafting or inventory management and an actual (not great) story and gameplay. Then slather that with a Starfox coat of paint. There's also split-screen co-op as well if you care for that.

The game isn't perfect but it's pretty drat good and fun, however the lack of variety in things you can do slowly becomes tiresome. The game is probably 6-8 hours long if you just play the missions you have to, but there's enough optional stuff (it is a Ubisoft game afterall) that it took me over 10 to do around 70%~ of everything to do before I just said "gently caress it I'll do the rest another time."

I had a ton of fun playing the game, but I wish there was more to it. Let it be said though I played only as Fox because I love Starfox and the original stuff in the game is forgettable so without it I probably wouldn't have played (the Arwing figure owns). Also, like Barudak said, it's literally better than anything Nintendo themselves has done with Starfox since Starfox 64.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I'll try to explain the gameplay as best I can.

Despite being a space game you don't spend all that much time in space, most of your time is spent hovering along the ground fighting enemies, collecting crap and even some light puzzle solving.
It's not really like NMS except for the way you can go from space to surface and back again without any kind of loading screen.

There are some light RPG elements as well, you collect mods which you slot into your ship and gear, all of which gives some kind of bonus, and the mods have various rarity levels so it's there some Looter shooter aspects.
Plus like I mention before each pilot earns skill points and has a skill tree.
You also have a main campaign, side missions and if you have the switch version a Fox campaign which rewards Arwing specific mods.

As for the actual gameplay, it's mainly based around doing two things, building up your own forces on the various planets and defeating enemy forces.

You build your forces by finding various buildings and upgrading them by doing missions for them and by bringing them the million or so things you can collect.
Later on you can also construct your own buildings.

The enemy is also doing the same thing, they have dreadnaughts which are what you ultimately to defeat, every now and then they send a harvester to a planet, and the harvester will start building towers and sending out dudes to attack your bases.
Each tower makes the harvester stronger, and each harvester makes its dreadnaught stronger.

There's also space stuff to do which involves searching wrecks for loot or attacking pirate bases, also for loot.

None of the various aspects are super deep, but I really did enjoy the game, and it's surprisingly long if you want to do and explore everything.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes. That was really dumb but I thought he made a decent point about how the game handled serious subjects without having anything to say about it. Just look at Infinite compared to something like Wolfenstein 2.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I stand by Standard over Deluxe with at most a weapon pack for the fun fire ram. You won't need extra lives and the other pilot's skills are negligible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RE4 played with a controller: Vince McMahon
RE4 played with a nunchuck and Wii Mote: Crazy Vince McMahon
RE4 played with a controller that uses gyro for aiming: Vince McMahon falls out of his chair.

Edit: having to aim at the tv isn't a gimmick that aged all that well.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 1, 2019

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

1 lovely NES game and a copy of Excitebike with a save state midway through track four on B mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. That was really dumb but I thought he made a decent point about how the game handled serious subjects without having anything to say about it. Just look at Infinite compared to something like Wolfenstein 2.

Does he at any point mention the false equivalency the game puts up between slavers and slaves? Cause that should be the first point anyone brings up about the game, and also the last one cause gently caress bioshock infinite what a poo poo game