Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Maybe Oz can be a "counter earth" that always stays obscured from our vision by another planet like planet X in Godzilla vs The Astro Monster or the World of Gor books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

How about an Oz story where it’s explicitly not drugs (or head injury, etc.)?

In my story, time travel has been around for decades now, but scientists have yet to crack the space travel that would make it actually useful. You can only appear where Earth was or will have been. So, as the planet rockets through the void at 400,000 kilometres per hour, it trails a gradually-materializing line of asphyxiated chrononauts.

An asteroid belt sized ring of dead astro/chrononaut bodies sounds metal as gently caress.

The imagery reminds me of a story arc from Robert Kirkman's Invincible.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Guess they're saving it for the sequel.

I wouldn't put it past WWE to go full Self Destruction Of The Ultimate Warrior on Alberto El Patron

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The Doctor seems to be the only character in pop culture who figured out the whole movement of the planets problem with time travel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Maybe Oz can be a "counter earth" that always stays obscured from our vision by another planet like planet X in Godzilla vs The Astro Monster or the World of Gor books.

Ain't no planet X cuz ain't no globe earth

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

That movie actually exists and is super dope - it’s called Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun, and is about an astronaut who crash-lands on what he believes to be a mirror version of Earth on the other side of the sun (obviously).

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

That movie actually exists and is super dope - it’s called Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun, and is about an astronaut who crash-lands on what he believes to be a mirror version of Earth on the other side of the sun (obviously).

Oh drat. Now I gotta track that down.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: never mind, sold out :(

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 1, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

Oh drat. Now I gotta track that down.

It’s in my favourite non-genre: films without plot twists, where the characters never actually figure out what’s going on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

It’s in my favourite non-genre: films without plot twists, where the characters never actually figure out what’s going on.

Oooh, I think I saw at least two films at Sundance that fit that description, but I can't really name them without basically spoiling them

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Holy poo poo

quote:

Prior to a screening in the 1980s, a telecine operator viewed the print and, being unfamiliar with the premise of the film, concluded that the scenes set on the parallel Earth had been reversed in error. An additional "flop-over" edit restored the image to normal, which became the standard for all broadcasts but compromised the plot: if Doppelgänger is screened in this modified form, the viewer is led to conclude that the parallel Ross has landed on the non-reversed, normal Earth.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Void if such an odd movie, the effects are decent and everything else is just so cheap looking. I understand that it's a product of how they funded the movie, but it's still weird to see.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

How about an Oz story where it’s explicitly not drugs (or head injury, etc.)?

In my story, time travel has been around for decades now, but scientists have yet to crack the space travel that would make it actually useful. You can only appear where Earth was or will have been. So, as the planet rockets through the void at 400,000 kilometres per hour, it trails a gradually-materializing line of asphyxiated chrononauts.

I've always wanted to write a story where a detective has to go back in time to find and incapacitate the guy who invented the time machine, which is now loving up the entire history of everything because we've reached the end of actual time and, rather than die, we've been sending people back over and over to find new places and times to populate and now every place everywhere every time is jam-packed with people, because the more people get sent back, the more arrive at the end of time, creating a catastrophic endless loop of absolute overpopulation.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Okay, I think I cracked a big part of my story about the suburban explorers: a pistol. I'm just not sure if it's better for someone to get shot accidentally in the midst of an adventure, or if someone straight up steal it. Or maybe both.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If anyone is going to see Fighting with the Family, I highly recommend watching the Channel 4 doc I posted right after. It's not just that the movie is kind of run-of-the-mill feel goodery that takes all sorts of liberties, it's that those liberties become a meta-textual analogy for WWE's whole soap opera branding process. There's literally a scene in the doc where Bevis is making a joke about how WWE is writing her character that you could directly carry over to her character in the film.

It's fascinating because, like, if you're a WWE fan, you could clearly just remember/look up what Paige's costume was for her RAW debut. It was totally not this badass girl next door thing, they literally just dressed her like a '80s metal video back-up dancer like everyone else.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Void if such an odd movie, the effects are decent and everything else is just so cheap looking. I understand that it's a product of how they funded the movie, but it's still weird to see.

Even with tempered expectations I didn't like that movie. I just...didn't really like a single drat thing about it other than some effects.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

edit: never mind, sold out :(

You did? Congratulations!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Okay, I think I cracked a big part of my story about the suburban explorers: a pistol. I'm just not sure if it's better for someone to get shot accidentally in the midst of an adventure, or if someone straight up steal it. Or maybe both.

Proving once again that all you need for cinema is a girl and a gun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

It was half-improvised and essentially shot on the cheap in a weekend. And looks and feels like it.

The only good thing about that movie was the ending and the visuals of the cultists. Everything else was poorly made trash.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Samuel Clemens posted:

Proving once again that all you need for cinema is a girl and a gun.

From what I’ve seen, you just need a middle aged white guy with a gun

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Coffee And Pie posted:

From what I’ve seen, you just need a middle aged white guy with a gun

> use gun on white guy

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

If anyone's interested, the podcast I posted about a few weeks back is still going and we just had former Smug Film contributor and current Back Row Cine Blog co-founder Jenna Ipcar on to do an episode on Joel Schumacher's 8mm as well as a bonus episode on Elaine May's Ishtar if that's of interest to any of y'all. They're pretty good discussions I do think!

https://soundcloud.com/numberonemoviepodcast/ep-9-weekend-of-2261999-8mm-feat-jenna-ipcar
https://soundcloud.com/numberonemoviepodcast/bonus-episode-ipcar-on-ishtar

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Shameless self promotion: Nameless Cults just did an episode on this one if yr curious (we liked it a lot more than it seems like people here did)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

That was it. It’s a three-sentence story.

The Three Sentence Problem.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

feedmyleg posted:

It was half-improvised and essentially shot on the cheap in a weekend. And looks and feels like it.

The only good thing about that movie was the ending and the visuals of the cultists. Everything else was poorly made trash.

I wouldn't go that far I think it did what it set out to do how it set out to do it but with the restrictions that still only brings it to like a solid 6.

It clearly soars above things like Beyond the Gates.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Shameless self promotion: Nameless Cults just did an episode on this one if yr curious (we liked it a lot more than it seems like people here did)

Yup, paused the episode so I could watch it before you got too far into it.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Detective No. 27 posted:

I feel really bad about the posts I made defending Singer before it was really apparent that the allegations were real.

But X2 and Days of Future Past are still really solid. Maybe even X1. I haven't seen it in at least a decade.

I'm a big cheerleader for Days of Future Past. X1 gets more and more quaint as time goes on, which is a shame, because the whole "forcing people to be mutants" thing is an idea with legs that never really gets followed up on.

Coffee And Pie posted:

What does someone getting shot do for you, though? Is it for the climax? A death? Writing a character or two out as someone drags the victim off to the hospital?

I'm not trying to downplay the idea at all and clearly it's inspiring you to do something. These are just the questions that spring to mind for me when I read your post.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, that time travel thing SMG mentioned is like one of the major plot points (or whatever you'd call it in this context) of World of Tomorrow, a short that you all should have watched by now quite frankly.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I'm a big cheerleader for Days of Future Past. X1 gets more and more quaint as time goes on, which is a shame, because the whole "forcing people to be mutants" thing is an idea with legs that never really gets followed up on.

What does someone getting shot do for you, though? Is it for the climax? A death? Writing a character or two out as someone drags the victim off to the hospital?

I'm not trying to downplay the idea at all and clearly it's inspiring you to do something. These are just the questions that spring to mind for me when I read your post.

To me that’s the moment everything goes to poo poo, like I’m working something out where the person gets shot by accident is the leader of the gang, and the shooter tries to pin it on the protagonist? I haven’t gotten that far yet

As for what happens, they would leave them there and get their story straight as having gone too far and that they were shot by the homeowner, and later realizing it wouldn’t work as a story. It also introduces the missing gun as something to worry about.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is much better than that first trailer. I am considerably hyped for this, now.

Also, Milla Jovovich is forever and refuses to age. It's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-VSALNwE3E

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

This is much better than that first trailer. I am considerably hyped for this, now.

Also, Milla Jovovich is forever and refuses to age. It's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-VSALNwE3E

I am not feeling that at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The last line would’ve been better if it was said by Ron Perlman

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I mean this is true of pretty much every line of dialogue

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Coffee And Pie posted:

To me that’s the moment everything goes to poo poo, like I’m working something out where the person gets shot by accident is the leader of the gang, and the shooter tries to pin it on the protagonist? I haven’t gotten that far yet

As for what happens, they would leave them there and get their story straight as having gone too far and that they were shot by the homeowner, and later realizing it wouldn’t work as a story. It also introduces the missing gun as something to worry about.

So it would be a pivot point where the whole focus of the movie changes? All right, I can dig that.

--

So yesterday I crawled out from under the rock I'd been for the past few months and saw a movie in the theater for the first time in a long while. Turns out over half the previews I saw were for things I want to see as soon as they come out, like Captain Marvel, Us, and Godzilla. Feels pretty good to have fun things to look forward to after a year or two of being mostly unmotivated by the spring/summer release schedule.

Also maybe Pet Sematary won't be bad. The Kid may be interesting. It looks like Starfish didn't get much of a limited release but will be available for streaming in May. Should be a fun few months!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The new Hellboy's mouth looks like a toothy anus, they should've went with the more hard edged mouth that Pearlman rocked and was more on model to the original character design.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Harbour sounds like he's fighting with his prosthetics or something. His voice sounds really weird.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
All the characters in that trailer look kind of weird and uncomfortable in a way I can't quite put my finger on. This isn't necessarily a bad thing or inappropriate to Hellboy, though, it's just a contrast to Guillermo del Toro, who loves monsters so much that I don't think he's really capable of designing or portraying monsters who feel weird and uncomfortable about being monsters.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
drat. I decided to finally publish a game I made a few years back and got hit with needing to fill out a form that requires a company name. I came up with a bunch I liked but a quick Google search showed that every drat one was already taken. I just wanna hit that drat publish button...

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
March MotM thread is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883459

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

feedmyleg posted:

drat. I decided to finally publish a game I made a few years back and got hit with needing to fill out a form that requires a company name. I came up with a bunch I liked but a quick Google search showed that every drat one was already taken. I just wanna hit that drat publish button...

Groverhaus Productions?