Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Discovery Renewed for Season Three

quote:

It's official: CBS All Access today announced the third season renewal of Star Trek: Discovery and also that Michelle Paradise will join Alex Kurtzman as co-showrunner for season three. Additionally, Kurtzman will continue to oversee the expansion of the growing Star Trek universe for CBS Studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

Janeway has two first officers, two engineers, and no doctors. Meanwhile Kirk has Worf, The Violent-Vulcan, and One-Punch OBrian. These teams seem lopsided.

O'Brien will just rig a bunch of things to explode via his commbadge, he's an Engineer, after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDh9jXY3zMY

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Angry_Ed posted:

O'Brien will just rig a bunch of things to explode via his commbadge, he's an Engineer, after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDh9jXY3zMY

Assuming it even comes to that. Off the top of my head O’Brian has knocked out Odo, Dax, and that Tosk hunting alien with one hit apiece. If it comes down to a fist fight, Kirk's team is just going to be a flurry of double axe handles and bat'leths.

...at least until Doc Crusher shoots everyone.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

Assuming it even comes to that. Off the top of my head O’Brian has knocked out Odo, Dax, and that Tosk hunting alien with one hit apiece. If it comes down to a fist fight, Kirk's team is just going to be a flurry of double axe handles and bat'leths.

...at least until Doc Crusher shoots everyone.

It's a great understated gag (probably unintentional though) that the most not-combat-oreinted-seeming people in the crew are actually expert markspeople or pugilists. Though with O'Brein I guess it makes a bit of sense since he was a veteran of the Great Offscreen War against the Cardassians.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Guinan kicking Worf's rear end at holodeck target practice was a great scene

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
O’Brien also spends every waking moment he’s not on duty re-enacting historical battles. It’s no wonder he’s a beast.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh yeah also The Visitor post Bill Cosby felt a little weird, a venerated venerable man giving a young attractive woman who is trying to break into his industry special tea.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Oh yeah also The Visitor post Bill Cosby felt a little weird, a venerated venerable man giving a young attractive woman who is trying to break into his industry special tea.

No. not everyone is a loving rapist and you shouldn't let Cosby ruin life for you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Angry_Ed posted:

It's a great understated gag (probably unintentional though) that the most not-combat-oreinted-seeming people in the crew are actually expert markspeople or pugilists. Though with O'Brein I guess it makes a bit of sense since he was a veteran of the Great Offscreen War against the Cardassians.

also it's basically 40% of garak's job to get punched. like he gets whaled on constantly.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Pick posted:

also it's basically 40% of garak's job to get punched. like he gets whaled on constantly.

But he does get in some solid barbs on the way.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zurui posted:

But he does get in some solid barbs on the way.

I believe the phrasing you're looking for is "several cutting remarks". :buddy:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Angry_Ed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDh9jXY3zMY&t=164s

I just watched this again and never noticed that around 2:45 (I edited the link) there is a barrel that looks to be full of shrapnel just to the left of Garak, which is further away than where Garak was when the bomb went off. They weren't kidding when they said he was lucky to be alive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
crocodile scales

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1100902408169889792?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So, there's a discussion about B'elanna on facebook I've been seeing lately which I'd like the thread's input on. One side is that she's a lovely character because she's angry a lot and it's very one note and shallow. The other is that she's low-key good because of her conflicted nature due to her experiences as a half-klingon.

And what's the difference between her and Keh'layr? Was Plakson Prime raised by Klingons? She seemed way less hosed up by her mixed heritage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To be honest, it only really matters if you like a character or not. I mean, data is also a very OneNote* character because all he likes to do is sit around and eat cum

*LOL iPhone what are you doin

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I think Torres also had an absentee father or something so that undoubtedly contributed to her being generally angrier or unhappier than K'Ehleyr.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I'm a page or two late for theme discussion, but I can't let it pass without dropping this old classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4IlgtwHmA

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So, there's a discussion about B'elanna on facebook I've been seeing lately which I'd like the thread's input on. One side is that she's a lovely character because she's angry a lot and it's very one note and shallow. The other is that she's low-key good because of her conflicted nature due to her experiences as a half-klingon.

And what's the difference between her and Keh'layr? Was Plakson Prime raised by Klingons? She seemed way less hosed up by her mixed heritage.

That doesn't make any sense? Her "conflicted nature due to her experiences as a half-klingon" don't change the fact that she's pissy and wildly inconsistent. Nothing about that defense makes me want to see her on screen more.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

wel i guess i am not going to sleep this never works but i will not learn BABYLON 5 EPISODE 30

ivanova and sheridan are in deep into accounting nonsense. this i can tell because they are in their undershirts
tight rear end earth wants ivanova & sheridan to start paying rent. sheridan is peeved and ivanova goes along to get along
we are now on mars DID YOU KNOW THAT this poo poo is all happening in SPACE? wild
chekov is doing some torture and i think mystery woman is also there
there is an underground railroad for telepaths. righteous
the interrogee dies but chekov knows where the renegade psychics are going... babylon 5
DAWN OF THE THIRD AGE LAST BEST HOPE FIVE MILES OF FUN
warren keffer gets a title credit who the gently caress...?
sheridan is bitching to dr. ben about the goddam man
delenn wants for a word with sheridan. she wants help learning to be human and this is coming across as a come on to me. they are to have dinner
sheridan sure does like to monologue to himself you are not picard this is not shakespeare
chekov briefs the gang + winters about the underground railroad
they wax philosophical about how earth hosed over the telepaths and now they are getting hosed back
chekov is talking to winters and gets a psychic twinge accusing him of murder. he thinks it is the rebels
the underground resolve to kill chekov
delenn tarts herself up and goes to dinner with sheridan. the writers have been horned up lately
garibaldi chats to ivanova. he is dissapointed to learn that she is not in league with the underground
sheridan and delenn are getting along famously.
chekov drunk dials winters on bab com and makes a breakfast date
winters flashes back to ironheart or who you will recall ascended into a godlike being and granted her the the power of telekinises which has not really come up as of yet also she may be unscannable
sheridan and ivanova have been evicted for being deadbeats
the railroad have got some guns and are practicing psychic blocking
ivanova and sheridan crash in the office. sheridan is being somewhat petty. ivanova tries to sleep but sheridan feels compelled to run through his tight five
chekov and winters breakfast. the underground take some potshots and winters is kidnapped
garibaldi is pissed at chekov for acting like a cowardly heel
winters talks to the underground
the underground wants a meeting with sheridan. dr. steve speaks in their favour
winters is being given the low down on psy-core atrocities
chekov and garibaldi have a set to. garibaldi reluctantly tells him where the shooters are at
psy-core does arranged marriages and rapes gently caress psy-core man
the leader of the resistance tells winters that he knew ironheart and that he knows she is gifted
sheridan meets... dr. steve who is in deep with the underground. dr. steve is alright IMO and also the whole underground is there
chekov turns up but the underground repels him by linking bare hands (telepaths normally wear gloves) and form a hive mind. something goes weird and everybody gets shot
WAIT WINTERS IS IN ON IT oh gently caress u winters
WAIT WINTERS IS NOT IN ON IT IT WAS A PSYCHIC PROJECTION poo poo winters sorry man
sheridan gives dr. steve some poo poo
underground leader tells winter she is... the future
sheridan embezzles some fund and he & ivanova can go to their own beds
winters sees off chekov who gives her a strange look before he leaves
winters disturbs ivanova and they have a late night chat. we close on an ominous zoom in on winter's discarded psy-core brooch

the more i hear about psychore the less i like them they;re fukken nazis man. hopefully some day soon the railroad does these fucker in they are bad news

Only registered members can see post attachments!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Sir, this is a Replimat.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Corps is mother, the Corps is father

Wait what thread am I in again

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Trek is cool because it's optimistic as only fiction can be.
B5 is cool because it's optimistic but also fiction.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Oh, it is the other thread. Now it makes sense why my post did not show up the first time in the other place, sorry fellows. Disco was good this week. Intrigued by the future probe and whatever is going on with Miriam.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Future probe? Is Disco going temporal cold war?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

Future probe? Is Disco going temporal cold war?

I haven't seen the latest episode but in the in-between-seasons shorts we learn that at some point Discovery will lie in wait in stationkeeping until at least the 33rd century while waiting for her the crew to arrive. The most likely explanation is that the crew will be thrown into the future and communicate orders to the Discovery computer to wait for them. The computer evolves sentience in the meantime, incidentally.

Also by the 33rd century the Federation has apparently degraded into something called the V'draysh, who are at war with another human civilisation who seem to be the good guys.

Anyway, all this season they've been saying one of the possible origins of the big season mystery is time travel, so that'll probably tie in.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 1, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

Also by the 33rd century the Federation has apparently degraded into something called the V'draysh, who are at war with another human civilisation who seem to be the good guys.

There are no good guys by then, everything is a mixed bag of confusing, alien posthuman bullshit and trying to figure it out would be like a medieval peasant trying to comprehend modern global politics.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

There are no good guys by then, everything is a mixed bag of confusing, alien posthuman bullshit and trying to figure it out would be like a medieval peasant trying to comprehend modern global politics.

That's not the impression you get from Craft though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

That's not the impression you get from Craft though.

I don't buy his perspective. But I might be wrong, I dunno what the situation really is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I don't buy his perspective. But I might be wrong, I dunno what the situation really is.

True his perspective might not be right, but he himself (and likely his people) seems like a fairly regular person, not too weird to understand.

I dunno, I'm just expecting them to go with the predictable 'fallen Federation' scenario because it's the kind of scenario which keeps getting pitched and the Discovery writers would love.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

To me it sounds like the Federation is getting so Federation that people are getting nervous about a stagnant omniculture. But I've heard that about globalism in today's atmosphere so idk how valid that is.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

I dunno, I'm just expecting them to go with the predictable 'fallen Federation' scenario because it's the kind of scenario which keeps getting pitched and the Discovery writers would love.

heh another thing Babylon 5 did first :thejoke:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

heh another thing Babylon 5 did first :thejoke:

Did they? B5's Federation was the Interstellar Alliance, and it survived and apparently prospered for a million years.

I mean Earth itself went through a few hiccups along the way but pft.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MikeJF posted:

Thanks for reminding me why I'm mad at Kevin Sorbo.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

TheCenturion posted:

Thanks for reminding me why I'm mad at Kevin Sorbo.

Did he kill God?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
God killed Kevin Sorbo and replaced him with some sort of replicant

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

Did they? B5's Federation was the Interstellar Alliance, and it survived and apparently prospered for a million years.

I mean Earth itself went through a few hiccups along the way but pft.

I thought the Season 4 ending episode revealed (via future CNN clips or something) that the Alliance lasted awhile, then stagnated and fell, and something new arose from its ashes.

And then Humans eventually turn into Vorlon-likes in a couple million years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tighclops posted:

God killed Kevin Sorbo and replaced him with some sort of replicant

What does God need with a Sorbo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

tarlibone posted: