Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

You fucks are too big.

And that is why Balmung is as big as it is :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Leal posted:

And that is why Balmung is as big as it is :v:

:barf:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey machinists of SA (all two of you, looking at you ibblebibble and alakaiser), got a question

i'm trying to move from my sort-of-learned-but-not-perfected 2 ammo opener to 3 ammo, so i spent some time learning it this morning using the big MCH guide and this image:

i've pretty much got the rotation down pat, but i'm running into an issue where when i interrupt my flamethrower to go into midfire with cooldown, reload and wildfire still have like 1 second of cooldown remaining and trying to squeeze them in throws off the end of my wildfire. i can't fit in the last cooldown without first losing overheat

i don't seem to be clipping. my current sks total is 780~ and the sks total for the BiS gear i've seen floating around should put me around 790, so if anything i should be having the opposite problem. i also don't believe it's my ping because i just tested it and it should be around 30-40ms.

either of you have any experience with this? i can take a video if needed

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
could you link to this "big mch guide" if its not the moogle post one, ive been looking for a good one

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

could you link to this "big mch guide" if its not the moogle post one, ive been looking for a good one

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BaJWWkSajcyIMb-d07gtEdtHrmb9cpOXsKyMiEuU6oc/edit

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

So, re-reading this server shuffle thing, everyone on primal gets a free transfer even if they're on a server that is not moving? If so, thats pretty sweet since I've been waiting out the loving housing auto demolition pause so I could get my money back before transferring with some friends.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/11cadb280ca20f53f22e0b0885d1ebf675536bb9

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

hey machinists of SA (all two of you, looking at you ibblebibble and alakaiser), got a question

i'm trying to move from my sort-of-learned-but-not-perfected 2 ammo opener to 3 ammo, so i spent some time learning it this morning using the big MCH guide and this image:

i've pretty much got the rotation down pat, but i'm running into an issue where when i interrupt my flamethrower to go into midfire with cooldown, reload and wildfire still have like 1 second of cooldown remaining and trying to squeeze them in throws off the end of my wildfire. i can't fit in the last cooldown without first losing overheat

i don't seem to be clipping. my current sks total is 780~ and the sks total for the BiS gear i've seen floating around should put me around 790, so if anything i should be having the opposite problem. i also don't believe it's my ping because i just tested it and it should be around 30-40ms.

either of you have any experience with this? i can take a video if needed

My first guess would be that you're getting owned by server ticks with flamethrower which is hard to notice

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Boogalo posted:

So, re-reading this server shuffle thing, everyone on primal gets a free transfer even if they're on a server that is not moving? If so, thats pretty sweet since I've been waiting out the loving housing auto demolition pause so I could get my money back before transferring with some friends.
Yep, everyone on the EU servers gets the option of a free transfer from April 2-15, and everyone on the NA servers gets the option of a free transfer from April 23-May 6. It's also just the price of the regular transfer waived, so if you wanted to take the opportunity to do something weird like move to a JP server, you could.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you also wanted to name change completely unrelatedly to your server move, I believe this is a way to sidestep that process too. Get another goon to roll a character with your current name on the server already, should work, I think.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dryzen posted:

My first guess would be that you're getting owned by server ticks with flamethrower which is hard to notice

took a clip of it because i felt like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iIwSmyAJ7w

my wildfire rotation when i'm in midfire is a bit whack because i'm focused on showing that trying to get out reload/wildfire as early as possible bleeds into my GCD, and haven't internalized the midfire priority yet based on what procs i have already set up (should have just done three cooldown into heated clean, looking at it now)

but everything up to that seems to be on point aside from delaying replacing turret for one GCD? which i do because i have problems double weaving an action you need to place (looking at you, salted earth).

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I'm going to look closer when I get a break but I feel like you're using flamethrower one GCD too early

e;

If you want to wildfire at 65 heat you're going to have to delay flamethrower slightly. Rather than instantly hitting flamethrower wait a little bit more in to the GCD cooldown so that you don't overheat too quickly before wildfire is back up. I checked in that guide you posted and I think it's saying the same thing but the wording is a little vague.

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 28, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

As one of the few MCH players I would help out but I use 3 ammo high ping which goes up to 95 heat before FT so I never have this issue :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Learn to play MCH just in time to completely relearn it in a few months

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dryzen posted:

I'm going to look closer when I get a break but I feel like you're using flamethrower one GCD too early

e;

If you want to wildfire at 65 heat you're going to have to delay flamethrower slightly. Rather than instantly hitting flamethrower wait a little bit more in to the GCD cooldown so that you don't overheat too quickly before wildfire is back up. I checked in that guide you posted and I think it's saying the same thing but the wording is a little vague.

oh! i see, yeah that seems to be it. i was mostly going by the image which is even referenced in the guide. that uses 65 heat but the guide is mostly written for 70 with just a little bit to say about how to shorten it

interesting. i'll have to try this a bit more then. thanks!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Learn to play MCH just in time to completely relearn it in a few months

idk i'm actively playing it, and have been for at least a couple months now. haven't tried to be optimal because i haven't run any savage content, but now i am, so i'd like to be better at this class i primarily play.

sure mch is getting a big overhaul but it's not like i won't get a few months of use out of this. also every class is going to learn new abilities and some others will get pruned anyway

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Ytlaya posted:

What should I use my Heavensward beast tribe tokens on? I have a whole bunch from getting them all to rank 8. Does any of that stuff sell well, or is it just for crafting Heavensward gear

If you can’t find anything that sells well (maybe check glass fibers from the moogles) there’s a couple things you can do. If you are interested in making Anima relic weapons you can buy Unidentified items that are used for a step or if you want cash you could try holding on to them for the next housing rush and buy a bunch of the furnishings and put them up on the MB. I did that when shriogane released and made a decent profit. If Ishgard housing is released people are going to want that Ishgard themed bonfire circle from the Vanu and they will want that poo poo now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kaubocks posted:

idk i'm actively playing it, and have been for at least a couple months now. haven't tried to be optimal because i haven't run any savage content, but now i am, so i'd like to be better at this class i primarily play.

sure mch is getting a big overhaul but it's not like i won't get a few months of use out of this. also every class is going to learn new abilities and some others will get pruned anyway

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not trying to dunk on you or anything, I just find it kind of funny things are turning out this way

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not trying to dunk on you or anything, I just find it kind of funny things are turning out this way

i definitely at least appreciate the irony in trying to get good with the class that is going to see the biggest overhaul the soonest

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

i definitely at least appreciate the irony in trying to get good with the class that is going to see the biggest overhaul the soonest

I'm hoping that they don't overhaul it too much, I actually like how current MCH plays.

Are there any goons in Tonberry/Kujata/EN-friendly JP servers? Considering taking the free transfer there once the data center split happens so that I can raid again, as my current job keeps me on an AUS 9-5 work schedule.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm hoping that they don't overhaul it too much, I actually like how current MCH plays.

Are there any goons in Tonberry/Kujata/EN-friendly JP servers? Considering taking the free transfer there once the data center split happens so that I can raid again, as my current job keeps me on an AUS 9-5 work schedule.
Even the minor changes they need to make to Wildfire and Flamethrower are going to totally change the rotation, I don't think they'll do much though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

At least they aren't changing your main much... Oh wait, wasn't it DRK? :negative:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Xerophyte posted:

Roulettes are a sort of combination of timewalking and LFD/LFR, yes. FF14 heavily incentivizes queuing for random old content at max level or to level alt jobs, both through making the roulettes very rewarding and through some other mechanics you'll come across later. It has to, since the main story is 100% required and if the game stopped progressing while you spent hours finding an appropriately level group for some level 30 story trial you'd just quit.

As for your goal, that's up to you. Rushing to 70 has the advantage that you get to do the L70 stuff while it's still current and that's nice but you might just burn out if you try to shotgun the entire game. Most of the gating is by the main story quest more than levels, anyhow. You'll have a lot -- as in roughly a hundred -- of main story quests to do at 50 and 60 before you unlock the next expansion at those points, and especially the 2.x patch content you do at 50 can get very repetitive and is generally viewed as the lowest point of the game. I'd definitely recommend running Crystal Tower, which is the level 50 24-man raid, some evening to break up that grind rather than delaying it until later. You'll get a group pretty quickly, the raid will be a nice change of pace and a bit of side plot and will give you a bunch of tomestones (tokens) for top shelf L50 gear to make everything else easier. Doing stuff like checking out an alt job, crafting or gathering for an evening every now and then as well can also help preserve your sanity.

Basically, you both can and sort of have to find some form of fun at 50 and 60 since you'll be there for a while. Don't feel super pressured to get to Stormblood ASAP, FF14 is a lot less "the game starts at max" than warcraft.

What I did when I joined FFXIV was sort all the post-game content by what patch it came out during and did it all in release order. That way you can space out the MSQ stuff with dungeons and raids, etc. I'm not necessarily recommending you do everything; I started playing during 3.1 and didn't catch up until 3.55, so you can save some things for later if you want.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Die Sexmonster! posted:

At least they aren't changing your main much... Oh wait, wasn't it DRK? :negative:

I'm kinda worried about how PLD will pan out with them moving everything over to MP costs, since half the rotation is drain the mana pool, then the other half to restore it, and I don't want to go back to "My bars are completely full, but it feels like I don't have any buttons to press."

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 1, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

yeah when i'm not playing MCH i'm a hardcore DRK... which is.... also on the docket for a overhaul, if not as big as MCH......

ultimately it doesn't matter because as soon as gunbreaker drops i'm not playing anything else

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm sad there probably isn't a new dps class just cause tanks and healers won't be grinding HoH so the gyr abanian plait probably won't be dropping in price.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Going to make an interest call for SEA/AUS/NZ/general Oceanic players who are interested in playing in a datacenter with decent ping. I'm planning on using the free transfer that comes with the datacenter reshuffle in April to transfer to Kujata and start up a goon FC there. Would like to see who's interested in transferring along with me to start things up.

Edit: also accepting ideas for FC names/tags.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 1, 2019

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Balmung rules

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm on Tonberry. Being on a JP server is fine, you just sacrifice things like conversations in dungeons with rando's for a much higher average skill floor in all levels of content. (There's a reason why our savage clear rate is better than all of NA/EU)

It's very easy to PUG savage/ex content, i don't do it because it doesn't interest me, but many people in my FC do and it's pretty much "Follow the macro, do your rotation, don't gently caress up and you'll win". You'll be locked out of PF most of the time, as parties are JP only.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

TheHeadSage posted:

You'll be locked out of PF most of the time, as parties are JP only.

What's PF? Because I like the sound of not lagging but I don't like the sound of not doing content because I'm a dumbass single language boy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
PF = Party Finder, where you can create custom groups with various conditions and prerequisites, like item level, language selection, job selection, etc. You wouldn't be locked out entirely, but the groups are manually created and you could get booted for not knowing the language.
You can always create your own or join a less common English group.

Otherwise you can use DF, (Duty Finder), the regular random group queue.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 1, 2019

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Oh right so it's the group finder system in WoW, thanks for clearing that up. Sorry I am terrible with acronyms.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Yeah, there's nothing stopping you from creating your own party, but the JP only restriction only applies to Extreme or Savage level content. For everything else, just queue via the Duty Finder (DF) in all languages and you'll be matched with other players. 99% of the time these will be JP players, but as I said earlier, no one really talks outside of a "Hello" and "Thank you" at the start and end so no need to worry about any language barrier.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I mean if this FC plan goes through and we have enough people interested in raiding we might start up a goon static. Will be Kujata-based though since I doubt that Tonberry will have the space or the housing for a bunch of ping refugees.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Probably not by the time all the transfers go through, but there are several plots available on Tonberry now that 45 days have passed since the auto demolition timer resumed. I have no idea what the Kujata housing situation is like.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i UNDERSTAND now, i have seen into the MCH matrix

(danger noodle ex dummy parse:)

there's still a lot of room to improve just through gear, but spending an afternoon to knuckle down and truly understand what my rotation should be like and what sks really does for me, it all makes sense now. i feel like i made nearly a 1k improvement off that alone

now i just gotta do it while doing, you know

mechanics

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Welcome to the MCH fold, it's great.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

TheHeadSage posted:

You'll be locked out of PF most of the time, as parties are JP only.

There's two stages to this. There's "did they drop some actual japanese into the chat upon joining instead of autotranslate? meh it'll probably be fine" and "your primary client is set to <not japanese> so we're just going to remove you on principle", so if you do actually have a spot of japanese under your belt you can make attempts at PUGing at least some of the time.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
so my controller is no longer working in ffxiv because i made the grievous error of playing a source engine game on steam with my controller plugged in. this sucks man

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

so my controller is no longer working in ffxiv because i made the grievous error of playing a source engine game on steam with my controller plugged in. this sucks man
Remove the controller, shut down your computer, restart, then plug it back in?

You could also remove it, delete the drivers, and reinstall from the controller. I think. Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaubocks posted:

i UNDERSTAND now, i have seen into the MCH matrix

(danger noodle ex dummy parse:)

there's still a lot of room to improve just through gear, but spending an afternoon to knuckle down and truly understand what my rotation should be like and what sks really does for me, it all makes sense now. i feel like i made nearly a 1k improvement off that alone

now i just gotta do it while doing, you know

mechanics

I spent a good amount of time when I first got ACT just loving around trying to optimize my potential DPS. I ended up figuring out the proper rotations after like 10m of just figuring poo poo out on my own which made me be so much better at remembering the rotations.

I have yet to truly figure out MCH because I feel like once I figure it out and learn it, it'll be too daunting to consider doing in a duty. But man female MCH /cpose is neat.