Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
can't wait for your terrible city to sink beneath the waves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hey buddy you can't say that unless you live here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they'll just take all the upstate money to build a seawall or whatever the dutch have

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Sure do wonder why they'd wanna excise Rockland County, which has been recognized as one of the highest income counties in the US, with some towns seen as the best place to launch businesses in NY, and with like half of the land dedicated to beautiful parklands that preserve the region's historic character and natural beauty.

What a total mystery.

This is the first result when I google Rockland County :shrug:

Also LOL if you think highest income county means you've got enough revenue to prop up the rest of Upstate. How are you going to stanch the bleeding of population? You know New York is going to lose Congressional Districts over this in 2020, right? Guess where those districts are.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sure do wonder why they'd wanna excise Rockland County, which has been recognized as one of the highest income counties in the US, with some towns seen as the best place to launch businesses in NY, and with like half of the land dedicated to beautiful parklands that preserve the region's historic character and natural beauty.

What a total mystery.
Sure do wonder if you live in Rockland County. What a total mystery.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"What if I still worked in NYC and paid NYC income and congestion taxes, but those revenues never went to me because I'm in a different state now?" - an absolute genius from Rockland County.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they dont want to maintain a major river crossing or have any jewish citizens is all i can think of

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is the first result when I google Rockland County :shrug:

Also LOL if you think highest income county means you've got enough revenue to prop up the rest of Upstate. How are you going to stanch the bleeding of population? You know New York is going to lose Congressional Districts over this in 2020, right? Guess where those districts are.

Yeah, so, political corruption, various forms of fraud, and street chemistry entrepreneurship are the leading industries left off of the glowing reports.
"Inland Long Island" was rejected from tourism board meetings, so sappy rose colored glasses are what was adopted. What of it?
(No one really wants Rockland County. Cut it off from everything and have it become it's own duchy or US protectorate or whatever the hell Guam is.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yeah, so, political corruption, various forms of fraud, and street chemistry entrepreneurship are the leading industries left off of the glowing reports.
"Inland Long Island" was rejected from tourism board meetings, so sappy rose colored glasses are what was adopted. What of it?
(No one really wants Rockland County. Cut it off from everything and have it become it's own duchy or US protectorate or whatever the hell Guam is.)

I don't know what your issue even is and regret even engaging with you. Good day to you. :wave:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jimmyvanbramer/status/1101561301959098374?s=21

what the gently caress???

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

textbook small business tyrant

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
that is an exquisite meltdown :discourse:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So this Twitter account seems to have appeared recently and has a promoted tweet I keep seeing:

Found this on their feed:

https://twitter.com/400Foundation/status/1100531198248579072

Apparently they're opposed to expansion of the "prevailing wage" mandate which will effectively lock out non-union workers. That's a union-busting campaign, right?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-schoettler-b150584

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

don't forget that Rockland County also has Kiryas Joel and the town with the school board dominated by people in that cult, as well as an independent-league ballpark that was built because of corrupt dealings

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is insane

https://twitter.com/LizLikesBikes/status/1101840879088795648

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hey corey johnson, hurry up on that anti-placard abuse bill

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Seems like it works:

https://twitter.com/HowsMyDrivingNY/status/1102030952778383361

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

unbutthurtable posted:

textbook small business tyrant

that is a guy that works at Amazon

big business tyrant

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Victory Position posted:

that is a guy that works at Amazon

big business tyrant

No it isnt. It’s the owner of John Brown’s Smokehouse. (The dude who works at Amazon who somebody looked up on linked in upthread was a contact that John browns dude sent to tell JVB to apologize too)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

No it isnt. It’s the owner of John Brown’s Smokehouse. (The dude who works at Amazon who somebody looked up on linked in upthread was a contact that John browns dude sent to tell JVB to apologize too)

https://ny.eater.com/2019/3/1/18246678/josh-bowen-jimmy-van-bramer-amazon-threats-nyc

lol small business owners are such self important tyrants

https://twitter.com/DanielleFurfaro/status/1096116625932197889

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

alright folks

I am trying not to get overly excited but I am thinking there might be a snow day tomorrow

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

please god.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Over Easy posted:

alright folks

I am trying not to get overly excited but I am thinking there might be a snow day tomorrow

As an essential gov't employee who just tore his ACL, I do not share your excitement.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's raining in Manhattan but snowing in Brooklyn, it's the damnedest thing

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

snowing in Harlem!

right on the cusp :3:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
In queens in some ungodly mixture of the two

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

I was taking the M over the bridge and it was genuinely surreal seeing the weather difference

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
pathetic

https://twitter.com/brigidbergin/status/1103710825351692291?s=21

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the democratic house is gonna implode over it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

the democratic house is gonna implode over it

So far, with all the attempts to make this a bad thing for Democrats, the resolution that the House ended up with was supported by all Democrats but not by all Republicans. :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cause they had a big fight and arrived at "hate is bad" as a resolution. people are absolutely bitter over getting owned so hard

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

cause they had a big fight and arrived at "hate is bad" as a resolution. people are absolutely bitter over getting owned so hard

I don't know, 26 Republicans opposed a "hate is bad" resolution, including Lee Zeldin, that's going to make its way to 2020.

Edit: Unrelated, have any of you downstaters noticed speedups of late?

https://twitter.com/2AvSagas/status/1103789049678974976

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Mar 8, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it feels like the subway has had slightly better service in the past year or so. the weekend repairs are more ridiculous, though. the F train pretty consistently doesn't run in southern Brooklyn on the weekends because of maintenance

in other news, the Assembly might pass on some of the more ambitious stuff floating around in the Senate. i have a bad feeling about the next couple of months

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Mar 9, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its been a while since the last morning with half hour waits between 4 trains but its taking me like an hour to get home vs 25 mins cause they are running with constant stoppages in the bronx for some reason. like there must be some issue knitting 4 and 5 traffic together cause every 4 has to wait at 161 for 10 mins which causes the ones behind them to wait so they dont pile up, etc.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Is it a standard thing for local public radio (rather than NPR) to have chuds on all the time? WAMC keeps giving solo airtime to conservative think tanks who push some real steamers:

https://www.wamc.org/post/bryan-griffin-tackling-national-debt

https://www.wamc.org/post/bryan-griffin-difference-between-good-and-what-feels-good

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What the hell?

WAMC was my NPR station growing up and I don't remember that kind of poo poo at all. But I haven't listened in years since I moved away.

Set Alan Chartock and his banjo on them and fix this miscarriage of radio justice.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
wamc has gotten garbage recently and I stopped donating because of it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lol chartok was interviewing cuomo earlier this week and let him drag Bernie without challenge, nor did he have a response to cuomo claiming that “if you look at my record, I’m the most progressive democrat in the country”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That's very, very sad to hear. I used to really love WAMC and would donate what I could even when I was a broke-rear end college kid.

Any idea what changed? I listened most of my life, but they're stationed way up north in god drat Albany and those people are weird so I don't know what goes on there.