Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That sounds like the ideal way to play it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I use BizHawk which has a higan/bsnes core and it works flawlessly for me. SNES9x still has issues in certain games, like last time I played Super Punch Out it would crash every single time on the Mad Clown fight. Dunno if that was ever fixed

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there a way to accelerate the yellowing on my SNES Classic?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

is there a way to accelerate the yellowing on my SNES Classic?

You could pee on it

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Code Jockey posted:

Speaking of retroarch, anyone know how to get shaders working on the ps3? It looks like they've been busted for a while, with some people saying you need to downgrade to some ancient version and drop in some other set of fixed shaders or... something. Is there any way to get them to work on 1.7.6?
Looks like only a few shaders work on 1.7.6: https://forums.libretro.com/t/shaders-for-retroarch-1-0-0-2-on-ps3/12241

I tried the ones in that collection and they all worked

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Turbinosamente posted:

It's cheapness and the small form factor that has every one running to various flavors of Pi right?
It's also the consistency. You know that if there's a software distribution that works well on a particular model Pi, you get that model, download the distro, and you're good to go.

fishmech posted:

An old computer.
An old computer may be fine if it has a working installation of Windows. If not, you have to get Windows working on it. Or you can go the Linux route or one of the prebuilt emulator distributions (e.g., Lakka). Hardware compatibility is hit or miss, television compatibility is better these days, but still hit or miss. They're a solution that work well, possibly the best if you're willing to invest the time in it.

Also old computers have parts that die, and while other old computers can be had for cheap, sometimes the parts aren't compatible or the OS install doesn't carry over, and you're spending time on it again.

fishmech posted:

An old cell phone.
Most phones don't have video out to connect to a TV. Also most old phones run some ancient OS version that may or may not be compatible with the emulator you're trying to use. Basically the "old computer" problem, but with worse options.

fishmech posted:

The Wii. Various hacked consoles at that.
The Wii, the PSP, and maybe now the 3DS are great emulation boxes because they were fairly easy to hack through most of their lifetime and afterwards, and like the Pi, all Wiis (at least ones you'll find in the wild) and PSPs perform the same and run the same software, so while they're not quite as plug-and-play as a Pi they're pretty close.

The problem, though, with hacked game consoles is that you're at the mercy of exploits to be able to hack them. EOLed consoles that aren't getting security updates are probably fine, especially since there's so many vulnerable units in the wild. But that was one of the attractive qualities of the RPi--it's a box you can do whatever with, and you don't have to exploit it to do it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's also the consistency. You know that if there's a software distribution that works well on a particular model Pi, you get that model, download the distro, and you're good to go.

An old computer may be fine if it has a working installation of Windows. If not, you have to get Windows working on it. Or you can go the Linux route or one of the prebuilt emulator distributions (e.g., Lakka). Hardware compatibility is hit or miss, television compatibility is better these days, but still hit or miss. They're a solution that work well, possibly the best if you're willing to invest the time in it.

Also old computers have parts that die, and while other old computers can be had for cheap, sometimes the parts aren't compatible or the OS install doesn't carry over, and you're spending time on it again.

Most phones don't have video out to connect to a TV. Also most old phones run some ancient OS version that may or may not be compatible with the emulator you're trying to use. Basically the "old computer" problem, but with worse options.

The Wii, the PSP, and maybe now the 3DS are great emulation boxes because they were fairly easy to hack through most of their lifetime and afterwards, and like the Pi, all Wiis (at least ones you'll find in the wild) and PSPs perform the same and run the same software, so while they're not quite as plug-and-play as a Pi they're pretty close.

The problem, though, with hacked game consoles is that you're at the mercy of exploits to be able to hack them. EOLed consoles that aren't getting security updates are probably fine, especially since there's so many vulnerable units in the wild. But that was one of the attractive qualities of the RPi--it's a box you can do whatever with, and you don't have to exploit it to do it.

Lol what the hell is this nonsense.

The Raspberry Pi has 7 or so hardware configurations in use so no you can't just get one thing and be sure it'll run and the storage system used frequently corrupts the main boot media, let alone the reliance on providing your own power supplies etc. That's way the gently caress harder than running Windows. The Raspberry Pi is a poo poo platform and despite how much stupid nerds jerk off over it it's not very popular/used on the whole.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fishmech posted:

The Raspberry Pi has 7 or so hardware configurations in use so no you can't just get one thing and be sure it'll run

There's like two that matter for the purposes of making an emulation box and they both use the same Retropie/Lakka image

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/SmokeMonsterTWI/status/1101261338037366784

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone ever have much luck with buys at a smaller gaming cons? There's an arcade expo here this weekend and I'm thinking about seeing what kind stuff the vendors have but I don't want to get ripped off.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

While we're on the subject, I have an old Foxconn Nt-3500(AMD E-350 1.6 GHz, 8GB ram) how would that do for an emulation box for 2D stuff? Is there a preferred os for this, or is throwing a Rpi at it the better option?

After playing with my Arcade1up I decided not to hack it, and just build my own emulation arcade cabinet.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone ever have much luck with buys at a smaller gaming cons? There's an arcade expo here this weekend and I'm thinking about seeing what kind stuff the vendors have but I don't want to get ripped off.

Deals can be had if you know the prices you're willing to pay for something and dealers can be open to bundle pricing if you buy a bunch from them. If the seller is negs you at every turn, you got a reseller and it's better to just walk away.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Deals can be had if you know the prices you're willing to pay for something and dealers can be open to bundle pricing if you buy a bunch from them. If the seller is negs you at every turn, you got a reseller and it's better to just walk away.

I definitely do not know prices for things beyond a gut instinct of them being like 5-10 higher than what they were a few years ago. I mostly buy games from a local shop. Is there a avg price list anywhere or should I just look anything up on eBay while I'm there?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Stan Taylor posted:

I definitely do not know prices for things beyond a gut instinct of them being like 5-10 higher than what they were a few years ago. I mostly buy games from a local shop. Is there a avg price list anywhere or should I just look anything up on eBay while I'm there?

Pricecharting dot com is usually solidly recommended. Also, if you're looking at Ebay, look for completed sales.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RodShaft posted:

While we're on the subject, I have an old Foxconn Nt-3500(AMD E-350 1.6 GHz, 8GB ram) how would that do for an emulation box for 2D stuff? Is there a preferred os for this, or is throwing a Rpi at it the better option?

After playing with my Arcade1up I decided not to hack it, and just build my own emulation arcade cabinet.

Just run regular emulators on Windows. It's fine for conventional non-cycle-accurate stuff.

It should even handle a decent amount of Playstation 1 and N64 stuff as long as you don't start trying to do the fancy graphics mods.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I should update the firmware on my SD2SNES one day

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Nvidia Shield is pretty solid and will even do run ahead on snes. Nice media box as well

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

fishmech posted:

The Raspberry Pi is a poo poo platform and despite how much stupid nerds jerk off over it it's not very popular/used on the whole.
Not defending the actual quality or performance of RPi hardware. I don't think it's complete total poo poo, but it may well be close.

So the RPi is the first time a company (in modern history) said "let's make a cheap, OKish embedded computing board that focuses on things hobbyists care about" and, unsurprisingly, it turns out to be popular among hobbyists. Not sure why you're disputing its popularity--it's at least popular enough for everyone to be discussing it, and it's more popular than similar platforms (Gumstix, BeagleBoard, ODROID, etc.) such that everyone rallied around it.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I saw that the new Mame that came out supports SGI/IRIX, has anyone seen a tutorial on how to set that up and get going?

Also I am still happy with my alienware alpha for emulation needs. It doesn't do great with the ps3/wiiu/xbox around 720p but for everything else it's great.

But I still tell people to get a snes classic or a pi for their emulation needs, its way less than a pain in the rear end to support when they can't figure poo poo out. As much trouble I have with scripts, duct-tape and other middleware poo poo that I need to get a frontend to work with various emulators, I can't imagine so joe schmoe who wants to play Super Mario World dealing with that crap.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not defending the actual quality or performance of RPi hardware. I don't think it's complete total poo poo, but it may well be close.

So the RPi is the first time a company (in modern history) said "let's make a cheap, OKish embedded computing board that focuses on things hobbyists care about" and, unsurprisingly, it turns out to be popular among hobbyists. Not sure why you're disputing its popularity--it's at least popular enough for everyone to be discussing it, and it's more popular than similar platforms (Gumstix, BeagleBoard, ODROID, etc.) such that everyone rallied around it.

That is something they backpedaled into being when their original intent to make a dirt cheap computer that would be widely adopted for teaching computing fell part. It's got a whole host of problems on just about every angle of the original design intent but it was somewhat cheap if you happened to already have all the extra stuff you needed to run it spare, so they pivoted into primarily targeting that hobbyist thing. Also those various boards sell tons and are integrated into all sorts of business-line environments as well as hobbyists using them.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I saw that the new Mame that came out supports SGI/IRIX, has anyone seen a tutorial on how to set that up and get going?

The SGI IRIX on the Indigo platform support is very preliminary right now. Currently all you can really do with it is successfully reach the boot menu, and execute some command line utilities reliably.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I read this once a year

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My god, the Netscape Navigator 1.2 icon...

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Random Stranger posted:

My god, the Netscape Navigator 1.2 icon...

I like sites like it, hasn't updated since 2006 and started in 1998, how is it still up.. and it looks like he discovered a lot of snes / nes glitches

love time cpsules to early internet and glitches

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

When my mum worked in Pediatrics they had a unit like this, with a SNES, but later upgraded to an N64.

Imagine being a sick kid and the nintendo gets rolled over to your bed, then they open the flap on the front and you see this:

I spent a lot of winter in hospital in the 90's for asthma and we only had a snes with kid clown in crazy chase and some other poo poo, pretty sure it made me sicker

got prob 10 min til the sicekr kids got to play, was my birthday too

edit

it was just a crt on a roll unit with a snes and the games zip tied to the console so you could swap the carts but not steal them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

When my mum worked in Pediatrics they had a unit like this, with a SNES, but later upgraded to an N64.

Imagine being a sick kid and the nintendo gets rolled over to your bed, then they open the flap on the front and you see this:

Child's Play was (aside from giving the finger to a videogame-hating lawyer) the answer to stuff this. They get a decent standardized gaming unit into hospitals now with modern consoles (and even VR rigs) for sick kids, along with training for the pediatricians and nurses handling them.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

When I was in hospital for a week with an infection on my heart The flatscreen in the room had all it's inputs locked out, so they brought me in an old CRT with a vcr on a rolling thing like in highschool to play my Xbox 360. Halo Anniversary had just come out so it was as decent a timing for something like that if it had to happen. They said they used to have "a Nintendo" hooked to it, but they haven't had it out of storage in forever.

Edit: I was an adult at the time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Lol what the hell is this nonsense.

The Raspberry Pi has 7 or so hardware configurations in use so no you can't just get one thing and be sure it'll run and the storage system used frequently corrupts the main boot media, let alone the reliance on providing your own power supplies etc. That's way the gently caress harder than running Windows. The Raspberry Pi is a poo poo platform and despite how much stupid nerds jerk off over it it's not very popular/used on the whole.

Yeah the boot media corruption is a really big issue that keeps me from being able to use it as a "main" system in my setup.

The Pi is most useful for simple, single-task machines that operate 24/7, like as glorified sensors and the like.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been meaning to get one for Pi Hole. Anyone have any experience with that?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been meaning to get one for Pi Hole. Anyone have any experience with that?

If you've ever used a bash prompt it's fine. Download Raspbian, boot, fiddle with the OS configurator if you want, punch in the command that downloads and installs it. Once it's running you shouldn't have issues. I wish it had some way of updating from the web UI, but it's a simple task over SSH.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i want a pi with component out to use as a plex client for sd media to my crt but id never use one for video games

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Crackbone posted:

Nvidia Shield is pretty solid and will even do run ahead on snes. Nice media box as well

I have a new Nvidia Shield and a 4k TV. How do I know that retro arch is running in run ahead mode?

Also how do I know it's running in 4k so that the crt shaaders are displaying correctly?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I have a new Nvidia Shield and a 4k TV. How do I know that retro arch is running in run ahead mode?

Also how do I know it's running in 4k so that the crt shaaders are displaying correctly?

Spend waaaay to much time learning Retroarch config. Although honestly those settings are pretty easy to find or google.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Update on the GBA with the fuckes up screw

An extractor didn't do it

But I did manage to drill it out with my Dremel so now I just need a new shell and we'll be good to go

Also I got my ever drive GB yesterday and this thing is wild I love it. I found a garbage game and I'm going to Dremel out a space in the Shell so I can drop the guys in it when I get my security bits

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I thought after a few attempts over the years and bouncing hard off it every time that I'd finally try to get into Wizardry 6 (this is entirely so I can then play Wizardry 7 and 8). And as I'm sitting there wishing there was an easy way to reroll characters as I got a feel for what was "good", I realized I had no idea what the non-generic races and classes in Wizardry actually were. Maybe I would want to use a Fuzzy even though I was going to use a pretty standard party load out. So I go to the manual wondering what party I will build and found that Sir-Tech was prepared to help people as they planned their adventuring party:

You have to do your paperwork before you can play the game.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mega Man Battle Network 6: Gregar is the best game on the GBA

Change my mind, you can't

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Rockman.EXE 6: Gregar is the best game on GBA because it doesn't have cut content :smug:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-CNf7YxLqA

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmPOIe71v_k

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
What is this Darius collection on the switch that I've never heard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Nonviolent J posted:

What is this Darius collection on the switch that I've never heard of

It came out in Japan this week, it's cartridge only and they split into a regular priced version with like 4 games and a nerd priced version with a handful of console ports tacked on. It's all emulated and M2 did the emulation so it all works and plays as it should.