Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The whole point of putting this document in a shared drive was to prevent a bunch of different copies and versions of it being littered everywhere, so please stop making new copies and putting them in the drive every time you make a change!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

The whole point of putting this document in a shared drive was to prevent a bunch of different copies and versions of it being littered everywhere, so please stop making new copies and putting them in the drive every time you make a change!! :argh:
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.3b
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.3b 02-28-2019
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.4b
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.4b 02-21-2019

well gently caress, which one is the newest? Who the gently caress added a date to the title TWICE? why are we... oh gently caress it just keep doing that.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

stevewm posted:

Yeah, I have always tried getting any local contact info for Comcast. They will never give it out.

Someone from Comcast did finally make an appearance inside the 2-5 window they had scheduled. However it wasn't to install the cable. They spoke with the store manager and told him the entire hold up has been state permits. They have to bore under a state highway, and getting the required permits took nearly the entire month. They had just received the last one that day. Supposedly construction is supposed to start Friday and be finished by Wednesday next week.

Why the gently caress couldn't they have just told us about waiting on a permits 3 weeks ago? Instead of closing the drat tickets as resolved?!?!

Regardless, if this new provider can get fiber to the building and their rates are reasonable, I am still telling Comcast they can gently caress right off.

Do wait until they bore it first before you tell Comcast to kiss your rear end. That poo poo is expensive, feel good knowing you stuck it to Comcast in some small way.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Pretty sure somebody just cc'd my manager on an e-mail with the intent of getting me in trouble for not having sent them some documentation, and it took all of my power not to attach the original, already sent e-mails to the response rather than just attaching the docs directly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wish sales would stop doing things for free, it fucks the relationship with the client from day zero

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

DigitalMocking posted:

You need a broker who will deal with all of this poo poo, get installs done for you in places there aren't installs.

I've been installing/moving circuits since the early 90s, please trust me on this one. Find a service broker, stop loving around.

Telecom seems to be prime for this - you need to know ~a guy~ and poo poo gets done but going in the front door, or even the side door, you’d think the place ran on the ghost of existence staffed by remedial students.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

I wish sales would stop doing things for free, it fucks the relationship with the client from day zero

We had signed loving contract with a new client last year and right after the first production run they said oh yeah we forgot to mention we also want it dusted with unicorn farts, too can you start doing that from now on* and our president, who comes from a sales background says sure! No problem!

I estimate I've got about nine more months left before someone asks me why the hell we're giving away unicorn farts and I'm just going to shrug.

*And we don't want to pay more for them, either

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Partycat posted:

Telecom seems to be prime for this - you need to know ~a guy~ and poo poo gets done but going in the front door, or even the side door, you’d think the place ran on the ghost of existence staffed by remedial students.

IMO it’s because all the people who have worked at places like AT&T for a hundred years have died or retired and the new people can never catch up on all the institutional knowledge.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Pretty sure somebody just cc'd my manager on an e-mail with the intent of getting me in trouble for not having sent them some documentation, and it took all of my power not to attach the original, already sent e-mails to the response rather than just attaching the docs directly.

That's my go to move for that bullshit. It always happens when they've dropped the ball on something and they're on the ropes.

You want to play games motherfucker? Try do deflect it on me, implying I haven't done my job? OK, if that's how you want it done.

"I have sent you these documents on $date1 and $date2. Please see attached emails. As you can see the documents requested are in these email that are addressed directly to you. Please let me know if you need anymore assistance"

OK, I believe that's check-mate and you've just burned a little more credibility with everyone on the CC list when I hit REPLY-ALL.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Proteus Jones posted:

That's my go to move for that bullshit. It always happens when they've dropped the ball on something and they're on the ropes.

You want to play games motherfucker? Try do deflect it on me, implying I haven't done my job? OK, if that's how you want it done.

"I have sent you these documents on $date1 and $date2. Please see attached emails. As you can see the documents requested are in these email that are addressed directly to you. Please let me know if you need anymore assistance"

OK, I believe that's check-mate and you've just burned a little more credibility with everyone on the CC list when I hit REPLY-ALL.

Same. Except I'm not as confident being the new guy at this company (and still on probation), so I'd add in a line like "I'll check with the Exchange team to see if there was a reason the email may have been blocked, have them do an audit trail and report to <the manager they CC'd> ".

Balls in your court, bitch. Let's see what the audit trail says :smug:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pixaal posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.3b
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.3b 02-28-2019
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.4b
AAAAAAAAAAAA IMPORTANT -COPY(3) -FINAL v2.4b 02-21-2019

well gently caress, which one is the newest? Who the gently caress added a date to the title TWICE? why are we... oh gently caress it just keep doing that.

"It's on the shared drive, it's all carefully organised"

Z:\Share 2 - Copy\Mike's Docs\Peter\New folder (2) - Copy - Copy\BACKUP\Rpeorts\2018\Report 2015.doc

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Proteus Jones posted:

"I didn't get those."

Now you get to decide whether to drop it and move on with your life, or dig for an hour to prove it was delivered only to have them respond "I don't see it here".

Much better to keep the documentation on a shared drive somewhere. Then you just resend the link and say 'this document has been available at $link since January 3rd this year'. Then it's not on you to prove you sent anything, it clears you of finishing your document on time, and the employee can just go grab them and be done with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"I didn't get those."

Now you get to decide whether to drop it and move on with your life, or dig for an hour to prove it was delivered only to have them respond "I don't see it here".

Much better to keep the documentation on a shared drive somewhere. Then you just resend the link and say 'this document has been available at $link since January 3rd this year'. Then it's not on you to prove you sent anything, it clears you of finishing your document on time, and the employee can just go grab them and be done with it.

Dig an hour? It's pretty easy to search by recipient and then filter for emails with attachments. At the most time consuming, it takes a couple of minutes.

But that aside, I would have zero issues sending it yet again and again. Right up to the point they start CCing my boss, their boss, the PM, etc... all in an attempt to cast aside responsibility and throw blame on me. Then you get the Nuclear gently caress You.

I *do* agree with doc sharing, and that's usually the case on most of the project work I do. But I've had the "I would have this done if Proteus had sent the documents I requested" emails before, which is why I respond the way I do.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Our software vendor rolled out a new UI. They've deployed it as an option at this point, but it will be the default after the next system update and the current UI will be deprecated. My boss turned on the UI in our test environment, poked at it a bit, and declared it fine. She's on a Win10 machine--the UI caused everyone else with a Win7 machine to crash in Internet Explorer. I went to the back end in Chrome and shut it off. Fortunately we hadn't pushed this to production yet.

Went back and forth with vendor support, finally set up a conference call with screensharing so we could show them the issue. Just prior to the conference call, I ask my boss which specific setting she changed. Of course she can't remember. I download the vendor documentation which says, "Go to admin panel and choose option PDQXYZ. Note: this was previously called ABCDE but we changed it to PDQXYZ."

What does my admin panel have? ABCDE. I'm...confused. Conference call starts:

Vendor: That's odd. Where did you get that documentation?
Me: From your support site. It's linked from your release notes page.
Vendor: It doesn't look like this in the admin panel on my side. Click the setting and let's see what happens.
[The UI changes--to a prototype UI from 18 months ago. This is something like changing a display setting in Win10 and having the UI change to WindowsXP.]
Vendor: This...should not be happening.

I will be done with this vendor--and my job--exactly one week from today.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Good on ya!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Last week my comcast business line was out so I called in to get an ETA and a disruption of service credit.

Of course when I called in there was a recorded message saying there was an outage in my area and “talking with an agent will reveal no further details” so after “agent” “Agent!” “AGENT” “loving AGENT GODDAMMIT”-ing my way into the queue I finally get transferred to an agent who then transferred me to customer service to get my credit.

The rep looks at my account and says, “oh! I see you don’t have X new feature on your phone line and haven’t taken advantage of our McAffee antivirus offering. Would you like me to set that up for you?”

:argh: Are you trying to sell me something right now? Because right now your service that my wife and I use to do our jobs is loving BROKEN SO HOW ABOUT YOU UNFUCK YOUR BROKEN poo poo before going for the upgrades, mmmmmmkay?

I got my credit and the rest of the call happened in blissful near-silence.

As much as I hate Comcast outages, I love yelling at Comcast.

Edit:

actually, you all are right. Yelling at Comcast agents for being Comcast agents is a dick thing to do.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 1, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Agrikk posted:

Last week my comcast business line was out so I called in to get an ETA and a disruption of service credit.

Of course when I called in there was a recorded message saying there was an outage in my area and “talking with an agent will reveal no further details” so after “agent” “Agent!” “AGENT” “loving AGENT GODDAMMIT”-ing my way into the queue I finally get transferred to an agent who then transferred me to customer service to get my credit.

The rep looks at my account and says, “oh! I see you don’t have X new feature on your phone line and haven’t taken advantage of our McAffee antivirus offering. Would you like me to set that up for you?”

:argh: Are you trying to sell me something right now? Because right now your service that my wife and I use to do our jobs is loving BROKEN SO HOW ABOUT YOU UNFUCK YOUR BROKEN poo poo before going for the upgrades, mmmmmmkay?

I got my credit and the rest of the call happened in blissful near-silence.

As much as I hate Comcast outages, I love yelling at Comcast.

That poor agent is required to ask that of everyone. He gets in trouble when he doesn't. He hates it as much as you do.

I'm sure it felt good, but yelling at phone drones won't change anything. Even team managers have next to no power. You've gotta get up to the director level to even have a chance of your feedback mattering.

Call centers are the worst.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you have to complain about it "If you know who setup the policy that you have to sell that to everyone tell them to gently caress off with that poo poo and they are going to lose a customer for trying to sell more poo poo when their current poo poo doesn't work."

You bitch about the person they hate, they are on your side now. They wont confirm because well it's being recorded, the best you can hope for is "Thank you for your feedback I will pass it on". Which is them agreeing with you without getting themselves fired. It's so nice when your customers hate your work as much as you do. Even at a good job, this works out because if you love your job hating it as much as you means your customer love your company too.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ConfusedUs posted:

That poor agent is required to ask that of everyone. He gets in trouble when he doesn't. He hates it as much as you do.

I'm sure it felt good, but yelling at phone drones won't change anything. Even team managers have next to no power. You've gotta get up to the director level to even have a chance of your feedback mattering.

Actually, my intent is a little more personal. Maybe I can be the caller that makes this phone drone reevaluate some life decisions. Maybe I can be the caller that make the agent think, “you know what? I don’t need this poo poo. I’m going to get my poo poo together and get my career going for reals.”

But mostly Comcast call centers bring out the rear end in a top hat in me.

But yeah,

quote:

Edit:

And I am a dick for doing this. Mea culpa.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 1, 2019

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Agrikk posted:

Actually, my intent is a little more personal. Maybe I can be the caller that makes this phone drone reevaluate some life decisions.

You're an rear end in a top hat, HTH

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Happiness Commando posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat, HTH

Yeah, I'd been under the assumption that he just let frustration get the best of him. But if that's deliberate...oof.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

Actually, my intent is a little more personal. Maybe I can be the caller that makes this phone drone reevaluate some life decisions. Maybe I can be the caller that make the agent think, “you know what? I don’t need this poo poo. I’m going to get my poo poo together and get my career going for reals.”

But mostly Comcast call centers bring out the rear end in a top hat in me.

But yeah,

What an incredibly dumb take.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Some people don't have much of a choice anymore because they've hosed up. Or they have horrible depression that their call center job is making worse. They can't eat without the job, and the customers are such assholes that they only have enough energy to shove tacobell and whiskey into themselves before passing out for 14 hours because they have crippling depression.

You aren't helping them get back on track like that at all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Agrikk posted:

What the gently caress is this?

mewse
May 2, 2006

That attitude is completely normal and it's the same reason I yell at waiters

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mewse posted:

That attitude is completely normal and it's the same reason I yell at waiters

If you tip the waitstaff they'll never learn they need to finally get a real career, I'm actually helping them!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not saying I'm the world's greatest hero for making minimum wage workers cry but, you know, top ten, surely.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Pissing me off:
Security rebooting our primary file server in the middle of the morning with no warning.

Not pissing me off:
The guy who did it owned it and admitted he forgot to use a no restart flag on his script, and we restored service within 20 minutes. This actually led to a productive conversation where I think he actually understands he needs to coordinate changes on our servers, especially when we already had approved downtime scheduled for 3PM today for that server to begin with.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

zharmad posted:

Pissing me off:
Security rebooting our primary file server in the middle of the morning with no warning.

Not pissing me off:
The guy who did it owned it and admitted he forgot to use a no restart flag on his script, and we restored service within 20 minutes. This actually led to a productive conversation where I think he actually understands he needs to coordinate changes on our servers, especially when we already had approved downtime scheduled for 3PM today for that server to begin with.

That's a best case result. The guy who did fessed up and identified his mistake. And it was used as an educational opportunity.

I've seen the same kind of things but ending in punitive actions and shaming. All that does is teach the wrong lesson and cause resentment. So kudos on a healthy response at your workplace.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Nvm. I’ve been an rear end in a top hat unnecessarily

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 1, 2019

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Even when I get heated on support calls, I've trained myself to say, "Hey look, I know you're just the messenger here. My frustration is with the system, not with you personally." It's not nearly as gratifying as yelling in anger, but when you say something like this you can usually hear the tension lower in the rep's voice, and then you get to complain about "the system" with impunity without them seizing up on you.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Macaroni posted:

Even when I get heated on support calls, I've trained myself to say, "Hey look, I know you're just the messenger here. My frustration is with the system, not with you personally." It's not nearly as gratifying as yelling in anger, but when you say something like this you can usually hear the tension lower in the rep's voice, and then you get to complain about "the system" with impunity without them seizing up on you.

This completely. Also being friendly to fast food workers.

I tend to be super friendly if I’m the one calling for support, but if you work for those assholes spoofing phone calls from Marriot and WalMart trying to give me a cruise, I’m going off on you. 99% of the time it’s just a recorded message but twice I’ve been given real people. It’s usually a 503 area code because that’s where my number is from... “Hello sir, you or someone you know has given us your information about a free cruise.” The gently caress I did. And whoever gave you my information can gently caress off as well. Why the gently caress are you calling me at 9pm with a bogus spoofed call about a loving cruise when the number you’re spoofing says “McMinnville Fire Department”? gently caress you and gently caress the 3 spam calls I usually ignore every day you loving fucks!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Agrikk posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that pushed me into panic attacks and a breakdown that had me writing a suicide note before checking myself into netcare. I was tech support for an ISP for all of a couple of years while trying to get a helpdesk job in an area with poo poo opportunities. It took me YEARS to be able to make phonecalls to anyone besides family without having massive anxiety.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

El Jebus posted:

This completely. Also being friendly to fast food workers.

Went out to dinner with my parents and brother a few weekends ago, after 20 minutes without anyone asking what we want to drink or if we're ready to order we politely ask the closest waiter what's up. They inisted they weren't our assigned staff but the assigned person was too embarrassed to come over. I'm 99% sure this was a bullshit line but I let them have it because poo poo happens. I'm also certain that the mistake was not his but a failure to communicate this to him from the front.

We ended up with a bunch of free stuff so we estimated the actual bill and gave a 30% tip of that (it still only came out to like $15 a person with 3 rounds of drinks).

Scams and "this is not a sales call" people can gently caress right off though. I still just hang up, it's not worth my time.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
My impatience with dealing with scam and sales calls has had me adopt the habit of never picking up a number that isn't in my contact list. If it's important you'll leave a message or text me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My impatience with dealing with scam and sales calls has had me adopt the habit of never picking up a number that isn't in my contact list. If it's important you'll leave a message or text me.

I don't know if it's made an impact, but when I started doing this years ago it wasn't long before the frequency dropped off a cliff (this may also be due to my carrier as well).

I saw one flash on my phone earlier today, and it's the 1st one I've seen in weeks.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We have started getting the junk calls that spoof caller ID on our office landline. I didn't think landline caller ID as easy to spoof. But I guess I am wrong.

They have been using the numbers of some local and regional businesses.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

We have started getting the junk calls that spoof caller ID on our office landline. I didn't think landline caller ID as easy to spoof. But I guess I am wrong.

They have been using the numbers of some local and regional businesses.

We need to get a tame Congressman to propose some simple legislation: if you received a spoofed call, your carrier owes you $5. The carrier is then allowed to bill the sender $5. But the carrier has to pay you first.

Then see who lobbies against it and have them fed to alligators.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tactlessbastard posted:

We need to get a tame Congressman to propose some simple legislation: if you received a spoofed call, your carrier owes you $5. The carrier is then allowed to bill the sender $5. But the carrier has to pay you first.

Then see who lobbies against it and have them fed to alligators.

It's trivially easy to spoof CallerID, and the way the phone system works means there is no way of tracing it. The protocol phone companies use to talk to each other (SS7) has no security at all, and while an improved version exists that adds security, precisely zero companies have adopted it since it was standardized ~25 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

EoRaptor posted:

It's trivially easy to spoof CallerID, and the way the phone system works means there is no way of tracing it. The protocol phone companies use to talk to each other (SS7) has no security at all, and while an improved version exists that adds security, precisely zero companies have adopted it since it was standardized ~25 years ago.

Right. They have no incentive to adopt it. That's why alligators.