Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Just been emailing some lazy fuckers who haven't replied all week :colbert:

*edit

7. I bought seven primrose plants from lidl today but only got charged for six cause 2 were stuffed in the same pot. I hope this was educational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

every fucker in the country is emailing me between four and five on a friday afternoon

Yeah but i marked mine "important"

Please do the needful

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
also the 1950's toilets in my office building have packed in and are wafting the aroma of stale nobel laureate poops through the corridors. Time to bail I reckon

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm supposed to receiving a game code I bought two weeks ago and they said "oh yeah friday at the latest" and here it is, friday, and instead I'm getting inundated with TESS THE LIB DEMS CAN STOP BREXIT

TESS THE HUMANISTS ARE HOLDING A SEMINAR

TESS YOUR LOCAL LABOUR PCC ELECTION IS COMING UP

TESS CHECK OUT THIS GUITAR

TESS CHECK OUT THIS poo poo WE PUBLISHED THIS WEEK

oh and as I was making fun of this the loving mayor sent an email about how great the lib dems are locally

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, it's unknown why he decided to add a NI specific SSM amendment to the bill, but it's only going to make it less likely to pass, whether that's the DUP personally nixing it or them leaning on the Tories or others against legislating without consent to vote it down.

But the bill as already written unamended would extend mixed sex civil partnerships to NI, which would mean that the Supreme Court's established fairness precedent (one group can't have more options than another) would come into play, which would mean local NI SSM advocates would have a clear path to get marriage equality.

It's got much better optics than "force SSM on NI".

Eh the Supreme Court ruled in favour in the Civil Partnership issue largely because a legitimate aim for the discriminatory system could not be shown (the government argued they needed more time to review the issue which the court ruled was insufficient to justify discrimination) - ECHR case law has generally held that in matters of same sex marriage states have a wide margin of appreciation and that preserving traditional marriage is a legitimate aim in so far that it is not against the convention in situations where civil partnerships are available.

It's possible the supreme court may decide that such an aim is no longer legitimate when weighing the issue up (which they are expected to do sometime this year) but I'm not overly confident.

But then again I was a bit surprised by the breadth of their ruling on abortion so I could be entirely wrong.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh i thought you were talking about work emails.

Instead it's just spam you haven't blocked, your fault for ticking the box imo :colbert:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tesseraction posted:

TESS THE LIB DEMS CAN STOP BREXIT
lol srsly?

e:

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 1, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Absolutely random question that I only ask as a few here have mentioned making their own bread, and I can't think of the right way of feeding the question to Google. If I make some dough tonight, it's fine to leave it to prove overnight (as long as it's loosely covered) and cook it in the morning, right?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Depends a lot on the type of yeast and flour. If you normally let it rise for a few hours, you might be better covering and leaving in the fridge so it rises more slowly. Slow rises make lovely bread with a nice crumb

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Cerv posted:

Why’s SNP in the key but not any of the results?

Because its pretty obvious what they consider the most important thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

StarkingBarfish posted:

Depends a lot on the type of yeast and flour. If you normally let it rise for a few hours, you might be better covering and leaving in the fridge so it rises more slowly. Slow rises make lovely bread with a nice crumb

Yeah it's just bog-standard strong white flour and packet yeast, nothing artisinal going on here. Fridge is a good idea, I'll give it a go (and as I'll also be making a few more loaves my normal way tomorrow it'll give an interesting comparison).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah it's just bog-standard strong white flour and packet yeast, nothing artisinal going on here. Fridge is a good idea, I'll give it a go (and as I'll also be making a few more loaves my normal way tomorrow it'll give an interesting comparison).

It depends on how much yeast/sugar/salt and moisture content it has. If it’s a recipe meant for only a short proving the. There’s a chance that if you leave it overnight the yeast will exhaust its food source and you won’t get much of a rise when you bake. You can slow the action of the yeast by putting it in the fridge or adding more salt. Fridge is easier.

Unfortunately. I know enough to know this but I can’t give you specific advice on ratios for the ingredients.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Deliberately excluding a foreign visitor from conversation is a dick move tbh.

However, given white man's history of being a foreign visitor, being as hostile as possible is definitely the pro strat.

FYI this almost literally never happens.

Anglos just have their brains wired wrong where if they hear someone speaking differently to them, accent or language, and they haven't mentally prepared themselves, they'll react as though they're under attack (having survived the Blitz, you see).
They realise its silly and that they have made a fool of themselves and the only way they can explain away that sense of alienation, the only way they can ever recover from such a traumatic experience, is to pin the blame firmly on the aliens around him (The proud Anglo-Saxon is never an alien regardless of where he may be).

If most people in a town or a village can speak Welsh, they generally do. Welsh in school, welsh in pubs, welsh in shops and at work etc etc
People don't switch to their native tongue just to be a dick*. They were speaking it anyway.

*Unless you see Baron Gammon von Saxonpants walking down the street, that's like the only exception though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you're doing a no-knead dough I don't think you want to fridge it because you need the extra rising to do all the gluten work. If you've got a stand mixer than sure fridge it

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/better-no-knead-bread-recipe.html

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

every fucker in the country is emailing me between four and five on a friday afternoon

Do what I do: leave work at three so you don't have to see them until Monday :smug:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Saith posted:

Anglos just have their brains wired wrong where if they hear someone speaking differently to them, accent or language, and they haven't mentally prepared themselves, they'll react as though they're under attack (having survived the Blitz, you see).
They realise its silly and that they have made a fool of themselves and the only way they can explain away that sense of alienation, the only way they can ever recover from such a traumatic experience, is to pin the blame firmly on the aliens around him (The proud Anglo-Saxon is never an alien regardless of where he may be).

If most people in a town or a village can speak Welsh, they generally do. Welsh in school, welsh in pubs, welsh in shops and at work etc etc
People don't switch to their native tongue just to be a dick*. They were speaking it anyway.

*Unless you see Baron Gammon von Saxonpants walking down the street, that's like the only exception though.

It's weird you've made this ethnic over nationalistic tbh.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Rarity posted:

Do what I do: leave work at three so you don't have to see them until Monday :smug:

I finished my last job in Newbury at 2:15 today, and was called at 4 if I'd like to pick up a call in Woking before I knocked it on the head for the day. Which I wouldn't have done anyway, much less considering I was parked up at the KFC in Havant and about to pick up dinner

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saith posted:

lol I remember this happening to me at a petrol station in Dorset (not helped by wearing a crash helmet and ear plugs) where I was convinced the guy in front of me in the queue and the woman behind the counter were talking in Dutch or German, but they were just speaking normally with a very slight local accent but for some reason my brain just went "Nah, that's foreign that is" and kept pulling out words that sort of sounded a bit like the very few words I know in either language. The spell remained even when I went to pay for my petrol until the woman said "Nice day for it" or something similar and my brain went "Wait that's English!".

Only tangentially related but I do love hearing people "code switching", where they have two (or more) mutually intelligible languages in common so switch between them as needed - my all time favourite was on the day after Lutfur Rahman got convicted hearing two guys speaking in Bengali until one of them solemnly declared "Very dodgy bastard", and the other nodded slowly and repeated "Very dodgy bastard".

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
looks like graylings done another ferry gently caress up

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/01/grayling-reaches-33m-settlement-over-brexit-ferry-fiasco-court-case-eurotunnel

well it's the same ferry gently caress up but somehow it got worse

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

XMNN posted:

looks like graylings done another ferry gently caress up

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/01/grayling-reaches-33m-settlement-over-brexit-ferry-fiasco-court-case-eurotunnel

well it's the same ferry gently caress up but somehow it got worse

Powerful post/thread title combo

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Does any UKMT D&D nerd want a copy of Tomb of Annihiliation for 5e? The pages are badly trimmed and it’s printed upside-down inside the cover, but it’s perfectly readable. You would have to give your address to me, an Internet rando who could be a murderer for all you know. Did your mother not teach you not to talk to strangers?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^^hell yeah, what do you want for it?

XMNN posted:

grayling
Hey I didn't see this posted today:

Watchdog condemns Grayling's 'costly' probation changes

Turns out Grayling's "innovative", "non-insane" and "definitely not a transparent smash-and-grab on the public purse" part-privatisation of probation services will end up costing well over half a billion quid just on bail-outs and reviews, whilst increasing reoffending significantly. Who could possibly have foreseen this, completely unavoidable and nobody's fault I guess.

Also lol that the first word in the article is "failing(s)". Subtle.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 1, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol I remember this happening to me at a petrol station in Dorset (not helped by wearing a crash helmet and ear plugs) where I was convinced the guy in front of me in the queue and the woman behind the counter were talking in Dutch or German, but they were just speaking normally with a very slight local accent but for some reason my brain just went "Nah, that's foreign that is" and kept pulling out words that sort of sounded a bit like the very few words I know in either language. The spell remained even when I went to pay for my petrol until the woman said "Nice day for it" or something similar and my brain went "Wait that's English!".

I once spent the vast majority of a train ride from Exeter to Birmingham trying to work out what language the group of girls at the table opposite me was speaking before it dawned on me that they were just very Scottish.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/n_srnck/status/1101502457316818944

lmao

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Borrovan posted:

Hey I didn't see this posted today:

Watchdog condemns Grayling's 'costly' probation changes

Turns out Grayling's "innovative", "non-insane" and "definitely not a transparent smash-and-grab on the public purse" part-privatisation of probation services will end up costing well over half a billion quid just on bail-outs and reviews, whilst increasing reoffending significantly. Who could possibly have foreseen this, completely unavoidable and nobody's fault I guess.

Also lol that the first word in the article is "failing(s)". Subtle.

It's like someone watched Robocop and thought "hmmm yes what a good idea"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I sometimes wonder what language Theresa May is speaking.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/greenwood100/status/1101511391746424832

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Well he's a dirty bugger, isn't he?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Sanford posted:

Does any UKMT D&D nerd want a copy of Tomb of Annihiliation for 5e? The pages are badly trimmed and it’s printed upside-down inside the cover, but it’s perfectly readable. You would have to give your address to me, an Internet rando who could be a murderer for all you know. Did your mother not teach you not to talk to strangers?

I will only play 4e and am willing to split the UKMT over this

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sanford posted:

Are you on disc? I can message you later tonight.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Chris Grayling is like if there was a score on the original Civilization below "Dan Quayle".

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sanford posted:

Nice nerd honey pot

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MikeCrotch posted:

I will only play 4e and am willing to split the UKMT over this
:frogout:

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's weird you've made this ethnic over nationalistic tbh.

It's Saint David's Day, just let me have this :saddowns:

I agree though, it's gotta be nurture over nature.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Renaissance Robot posted:

First reaction: "oh cool everyone thinks family is the most important, tribalism wins forever I guess :smith:"

Second thought: anyone else remember some time travel story where a guy goes to the future and is baffled by the way they call everyone brother/sister and act like it's literally true? Was that Vonnegut?

It's not Vonnegut if you're talking about time travel and that. Slapstick at a push has extended artificial family elements, and I guess there's an argument for parts of The Sirens of Titan. But I think you're thinking of something else

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Huw Stevens played some 60ft Dolls on 6Music for St David's Day, and yes I did turn it the hell up

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Book is claimed, thanks all!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah but i marked mine "important"

Please do the needful

You're one of those fuckers who plonks themselves down at my desk and starts droning on at me about some work-related bullshit while I'm eating my lunchtime sandwich, aren't you.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hi I'm the gently caress who emails you something and then appears by your desk 5 minutes later hoping to talk to you about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Oh are we bitching about work emails today?

What about those fuckers who email you some inane question and cc in some random manager three levels above you? Better be a place on the wall for them.