Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

How many of these are being pressed?
No information on the UK page about how many were pressed. I'm assuming it'll be around what they had for The Warner Bros. album, which was 900. Might be less. It all depends on how many copies they wanted to press of an album called Baby Sex. Holelottadick is a jam, though.

Residents fun fact that was just revealed: David Byrne sang backup on Suburban Bathers and Eno played keys on The Coming of the Crow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

No information on the UK page about how many were pressed. I'm assuming it'll be around what they had for The Warner Bros. album, which was 900. Might be less. It all depends on how many copies they wanted to press of an album called Baby Sex. Holelottadick is a jam, though.

Residents fun fact that was just revealed: David Byrne sang backup on Suburban Bathers and Eno played keys on The Coming of the Crow.

I remember you mentioning this before as a rumored RSD release and I didn't even realize what "BS" stands for. Pretty crazy that they got both David Byrne and Brian Eno on some songs.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Speaking of Brian Eno, I recently found this record for $5 while out digging and was pleasantly surprised to see that Brian Eno has a writing/production credit on one of the tracks.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dune-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/1438239

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

It's a really dope collaboration between two seasoned rappers (Curren$y and Freddie Gibbs) and one of my personal favorite producers, The Alchemist. Its available to listen to on streaming services if you want to check it out!

This and the Jedi Mind Tricks release were about the only things that stood out to me. Pretty lackluster list, imo

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I saw Big Me and got excited because I thought it might have the BBC recording of Alone + Easy Target but nope it's a fuckin 3".

Procol Harum reissue, Serj Tankian, and Depreciation Guild are gonna be my three to try and grab. South Park would be cool but no thanks at $75 for a double LP.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This label that does a bunch of soundtracks and nerd poo poo put out an EP with those stupid songs Bill Paxton sings in Club Dread and I was way too excited about ordering that. I was also going to make you guys aware of them doing a double LP or Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat 2 but those are super sold out. This is the label:
https://enjoytheriderecords.com/

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Bloodplay it again posted:

South Park would be cool but no thanks at $75 for a double LP.

lol wtf is it gold plated

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Barry posted:

lol wtf is it gold plated
We’ve* repeatedly shown we’re willing to pay $40 for bidya game soundtracks. We’ve* shown we’re willing to pay Jack White $60 for an LP and a few tchotchkes. They’ll keep kicking it up until people won’t pay it.

Then, rather than lower prices, they’ll stop making records because of “a downturn in the market.”

Edit: I have absolutely no interest in anything South Park, just saying.

*Myself included

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
re: RSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERunEEc8fko

A reissue of this is a win for all of us. Now we need Split.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What I always see with the extremely overpriced RSD releases like that is no one buys them because they're too loving expensive and then eventually they end up in the clearance bin. And what ebay flippers pick them up will eventually sell them for under the original retail when they realize no one is biting just so they can dump it. Wait a while. I just bought that Lou Reed triple LP live album from last year for 14 bucks. Even the David Bowie live LP (which is really good by the way) from last year is plentiful at 20 dollars or more under the original retail price on discogs .

If you have a Newbury Comics in your area just keep checking. They always have so much unsold RSD poo poo.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 1, 2019

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Buari - Buari
Goblin - Yell
Kool Keith - Complicated Trip
Otis Redding - Just Do It One More Time
Pete Rock - Return Of The SP1200
Shocking Blue - Singles
Soul Jazz - Studio One Box set
Soul Jazz - Boombox 45s

These all look pretty exciting to me. Buari has already been reissued recently but is one of the best afro funk records with top tier american session musicians on it. Not sure if the RSD version will bring anything new but you owe it to yourself to own it if you don't already. Anything by Goblin is an automatic must have, the Otis has never been released before, the Kool Keith is a persona mash up record (including a new one) which will either be godawful or brilliant, the Pete Rock is basically his earliest compositions which will be essential for anyone who likes 90s hiphop. Shocking Blue and the Soul Jazz comps I'll wait to see if prices aren't silly but they'll have some great stuff I'm sure.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Hey so I got my round bottom HDPE sleeves and they’re great, my record fit in the printed sleeves that come with albums.

There’s some bunching but it’s soft polyethylene, it’s not going to hurt anything right?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Banano posted:

Buari - Buari
Goblin - Yell
Kool Keith - Complicated Trip
Otis Redding - Just Do It One More Time
Pete Rock - Return Of The SP1200
Shocking Blue - Singles
Soul Jazz - Studio One Box set
Soul Jazz - Boombox 45s

These all look pretty exciting to me. Buari has already been reissued recently but is one of the best afro funk records with top tier american session musicians on it. Not sure if the RSD version will bring anything new but you owe it to yourself to own it if you don't already. Anything by Goblin is an automatic must have, the Otis has never been released before, the Kool Keith is a persona mash up record (including a new one) which will either be godawful or brilliant, the Pete Rock is basically his earliest compositions which will be essential for anyone who likes 90s hiphop. Shocking Blue and the Soul Jazz comps I'll wait to see if prices aren't silly but they'll have some great stuff I'm sure.

I am all over that Pete Rock release. Just gotta hope my local record store stocks it because I'm not exactly in an area where hip-hop is thriving.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
There's just so much bloat on that list. Why on earth do you need to release the soundtrack to the first three Michael Bay Transformers movies on vinyl? I know they did the original movie as a 30th anniversary the one year, but that audience hates the Bay films.

I'm really just salty that it isn't the score from those films because Steve Jablonsky did a really nice job with them.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
RSD release: The photos on this release are pictures my late aunt took back in '84 or '85 when she was in high school - probably the first band photos of them. She passed away about 18 years ago - I was too young to ask her about any of it - and these have been sitting in my grandma's basement for decades. She was a friend of theirs and also made the screen for their first shirt. I found these late last year and scanned them for the record label to use for this release. I ran into Mark Arm at the ferry landing across the sound on the peninsula in WA and he remembered her and I mentioned we had these and many old posters. The negative pictures on the inner sleeve are the only copies we have of most of those as pictures just to see what's on the film. The negatives are hopefully somewhere. I'm surprised they used the one she drew over because it was under exposed (and she cut out the top over their heads) but I like it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Cool story, thanks for sharing.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Fors Yard posted:

RSD release: The photos on this release are pictures my late aunt took back in '84 or '85 when she was in high school - probably the first band photos of them. She passed away about 18 years ago - I was too young to ask her about any of it - and these have been sitting in my grandma's basement for decades. She was a friend of theirs and also made the screen for their first shirt. I found these late last year and scanned them for the record label to use for this release. I ran into Mark Arm at the ferry landing across the sound on the peninsula in WA and he remembered her and I mentioned we had these and many old posters. The negative pictures on the inner sleeve are the only copies we have of most of those as pictures just to see what's on the film. The negatives are hopefully somewhere. I'm surprised they used the one she drew over because it was under exposed (and she cut out the top over their heads) but I like it.

Yah seriously cool story, thanks for sharing it.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

RSD list is up: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Gotta get that Teenager of the Year.

The only thing that really caught my eye is "Multiplication Rock" by Bob Dorough. I've wanted that album since I was a kid.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I am all about the Office Space soundtrack on "stapler red" vinyl.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CPL593H posted:

What I always see with the extremely overpriced RSD releases like that is no one buys them because they're too loving expensive and then eventually they end up in the clearance bin. And what ebay flippers pick them up will eventually sell them for under the original retail when they realize no one is biting just so they can dump it. Wait a while. I just bought that Lou Reed triple LP live album from last year for 14 bucks. Even the David Bowie live LP (which is really good by the way) from last year is plentiful at 20 dollars or more under the original retail price on discogs .

If you have a Newbury Comics in your area just keep checking. They always have so much unsold RSD poo poo.

Yeah I stood in line starting at like 2 or 3 in the morning primarily for the Bowie live album last year.

That same store still has copies of that album sitting in the rack.

quote:

There's just so much bloat on that list. Why on earth do you need to release the soundtrack to the first three Michael Bay Transformers movies on vinyl? I know they did the original movie as a 30th anniversary the one year, but that audience hates the Bay films.

Agreed. Get this instead, it owns.

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers...=gateway&sr=8-1

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 1, 2019

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

rockinricky posted:

The only thing that really caught my eye is "Multiplication Rock" by Bob Dorough. I've wanted that album since I was a kid.

Songs of Metric Man is also in the same vein plus you get an awesome Ghostface sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMOp7YXYqvc

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Fors Yard posted:

That's cool and sweet

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Update on that Residents RSD release :woop:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Fors Yard posted:

That’s insanely cool.

Edit: like the tenth person to say as much :v:

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

rockinricky posted:

The same label that's putting out the Green River album I posted about is doing that and it looks like they will have some for sale online:

"NOTE TITLE IS NOT SOLD OUT - Jackpot 2019 RSD releases will be posted at 12:00 am EST (4/14) for purchase online - While supplies last "

https://jackpotrecords.com/shop/bob-dorough-multiplication-rock-ost-colored-vinyl-rsd-2019

Here is the screen my aunt made if any of you were interested in seeing it:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

caligulamprey posted:

Update on that Residents RSD release :woop:

I doubt I’ll see it unless they produce a ton, but I’ll still keep my eyes peeled for it.

Also VMP goons, if you want this month’s Classics pick (Lloyd Miller Trio’s Oriental Jazz), you’re gonna want to buy it like, right now. One of the main VMP guys says it’s pretty much sold out and won’t be available to purchase once they close swaps later today.

It’s good poo poo, jazz with Persian instrumentation.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

I doubt I’ll see it unless they produce a ton, but I’ll still keep my eyes peeled for it.

Also VMP goons, if you want this month’s Classics pick (Lloyd Miller Trio’s Oriental Jazz), you’re gonna want to buy it like, right now. One of the main VMP guys says it’s pretty much sold out and won’t be available to purchase once they close swaps later today.

It’s good poo poo, jazz with Persian instrumentation.

A lot of stores will take requests for the ordering. It's how I got the previous RSD Residents release of which there were supposedly under 1000 copies. I don't take the numbers they give seriously because they've been caught multiple times downplaying them probably so people go "THIS IS SO LIMITED!" and they sell more units. Your chances are better than you think. I always manage to get the stuff I want because I just ask places to order it and I always like the weird poo poo no one cares about.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ballz posted:

Rumor pulled from a site claims 1500 copies. Surprising since the Warner Brothers album was only 900. I'm not sweatin' it. Probably more concerned now with nabbing the Death Grips LP now.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The Most Unwanted Song is on vinyl now, because the world needs more meme music vinyl.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Hey so I got my round bottom HDPE sleeves and they’re great, my record fit in the printed sleeves that come with albums.

There’s some bunching but it’s soft polyethylene, it’s not going to hurt anything right?

Oh god you're going to split the seams. You really should put empty inner sleeve inside the jacket and put that in a clear sleeve then slip the record in next to the jacket, but if it fits inside the jacket its ok too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Oh god you're going to split the seams. You really should put empty inner sleeve inside the jacket and put that in a clear sleeve then slip the record in next to the jacket, but if it fits inside the jacket its ok too.

Yeah it's really not worth the trouble just so you can use the pretty picture sleeve. It's going to be a pain in the rear end to get that in and out of the album cover. A lot of those picture sleeves are slightly too big before you even put an extra sleeve in them.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Fors Yard posted:

Here is the screen my aunt made if any of you were interested in seeing it:

As someone with a growing interest in screenprinting I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you posting this

weirdojace posted:

The Most Unwanted Song is on vinyl now, because the world needs more meme music vinyl.

I saw this in the email you sent out earlier. I like the artwork but have no clue what any of this means or who anyone involved is, and I just can’t keep dropping $20s like they’re $1s

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

There's an 808 State box that sounds interesting, but how much can I expect to pay for a 4x LP set?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

There's an 808 State box that sounds interesting, but how much can I expect to pay for a 4x LP set?

It depends because some labels gouge worse than others but I'd expect between 70 and 100 dollars. Maybe even more if it's some fancy pants limited edition small pressing thing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That's why I'm not even considering picking up the Devo RSD box.

Also I don't wanna play RSD box set prices for a set that (probably) includes Shout.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

That's why I'm not even considering picking up the Devo RSD box.

Also I don't wanna play RSD box set prices for a set that (probably) includes Shout.

Warner has a tendency to put huge mark up on their box sets that often makes it considerably more money to buy the set than if you purchase all those records individually. Is there even any special material or is it just the first six studio albums on a box? Because none of those poo poo is hard to get in original or reissue pressings.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Devo and WB's relationship is nonexistent at best, I'm assuming its just the first six albums like the This is Devo CD box set was. I do need to upgrade my copies of Q?A! (it has a skip on Gut Feeling which is unforgivable) and Oh No! It's Devo! (I ate too much weed oil and threw up on my copy), though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Devo and WB's relationship is nonexistent at best, I'm assuming its just the first six albums like the This is Devo CD box set was. I do need to upgrade my copies of Q?A! (it has a skip on Gut Feeling which is unforgivable) and Oh No! It's Devo! (I ate too much weed oil and threw up on my copy), though.

What you're saying is that you took too much time out for fun?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

bigman.50grand posted:

Definitely check out Amoeba if you've never been. Seeing all that vinyl under one roof is worth the experience alone. Don't expect to find any steals or deals, it's in a pretty touristy spot of Hollywood.

Just north of Amoeba on Cahuenga is The Record Parlor. They have a decent all around selection and an exhaustive collection of jazz. (Seriously, they sort artists by label.) You might not find exactlywhat you're looking for, but you will at least find something interesting to pick up. Again, don't expect any steals or deals. You're still in Hollywood.

If you have a car, try to hit up Atomic Records in Burbank. If you're in to crate digging, this is way more of an old school record shopping experience. Head straight to the back left corner for unsorted & ungraded new arrivals.

I can't vouch for the following as I've never been in person, but these spots were recently recommended to me by a buddy who used to work at a record store:

https://www.cdtradertarzana.com
https://www.recordsurplusla.com
https://www.facebook.com/timewarprecordsus/

Sweet, thanks! We'll have a car and happen to have some time to kill in Burbank one evening so I'll definitely check out Atomic Records, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

What you're saying is that you took too much time out for fun?
Devo tangent that I've probably already been on: Oh! No! is secretly my favorite Devo album because it's so loving baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaathing in cocaine paranoia. Every song is about surveillance or how all doctors are liars trying to siphon money from you. I usually back-to-back it with Plastic Surgery Disasters by Dead Kennedys, same vibes.

Also: the fact that they only played Explosions that one time is a crime. Goddamn, Alan Meyer.