Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
my cat irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's accurate. :3:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Yes he did watch Bungo Stray Dogs

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Do you know if the dub has the same problems as the official subs?
From what I know it'd have the same issues, going by how they handle dubs? Specifically the hugest one is (minor conversational spoilers though nothing really plot relevant) there's a scene where one of the girls lines is translated as 'if she changes, i'll break up with her,' which is hosed up, versus the original line which was closer to 'if *I* change, she'll break up with *me*,' which is both a very understandable worry for a teenager and also pitiable instead of controlling. which is, uh, a pretty big difference!!!

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I caught up on Kaguya-sama, Dr. Stone, and even the overpowered spider isekai manga. I had fallen so far behind on a lot of stuff after batoto went away, because even though the following list carried over to mangadex, the last read notification didn't. Hooray for me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

fyi if you watch bloom into you go with the fansubs not the official subs, the official subs gently caress up a lot of nuance

the more things change, the more they stay the same :3:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hula introduced a manzai duo and they're responsible for the funniest episode yet

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i want to go to antarctica

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Was your name really that good? Everything I heard about it made it sound pretty much like every other Shinkai movie ever made.

I remember seeing bits of Voices of a Distant Star on the Anime Network waaaay back when and being confused and underwhelmed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm not exactly impartial about him since I generally like his work. But, yes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Was your name really that good? Everything I heard about it made it sound pretty much like every other Shinkai movie ever made.

I remember seeing bits of Voices of a Distant Star on the Anime Network waaaay back when and being confused and underwhelmed.

He might be hammering on the same themes as always but he has really honed his craft in the years since Voices. At the very least it's worth a look.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is there a name for the kind of aloof character archetype that goes "ara ara" a lot and has a breathy voice

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Admittedly I do think most non-franchise anime movies are worth taking a look at if only because it's real easy to watch all of them from a given year.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Meme Emulator posted:

Is there a name for the kind of aloof character archetype that goes "ara ara" a lot and has a breathy voice
my wife

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Emulator posted:

The "Kikuko Inoue special". :colbert:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hell yeah.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i feel like you dont see that many page after page spreads in a scene

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the dlcs in drakengard 3 have an old lady dragon and she's one of the best characters in the game

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

It’s commonly referred to as the Onee-san archetype.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Citation needed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It's a Shinkai movie but he got someone with human emotions to write the ending for a change

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

seems like an ojousama or himedere trait but this is all very broad and doesn't really factor in the VA

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Colonel posted:

the dlcs in drakengard 3 have an old lady dragon and she's one of the best characters in the game

she's so good

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

drakengard 3 is so good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

i almsot always see that kind of character just referred to as the ara ara type

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
is there an ara ara index somewhere i can read

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ara ara, maa maa...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I always think of Mutsumi Otohime because that was my first exposure that kinda..character quirk?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ara ara no railgun

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wikipediara ara

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Meme Emulator posted:

Alicia from Aria the animation is the best ara ara.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I always think of Mutsumi Otohime because that was my first exposure that kinda..character quirk?

She ended up with Mitsune so ultimately she won in the end as well.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

feels like we're at the climax of this story

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

feels like we're at the climax of this story

I actually really like this (mildly spoilery) page a lot, they're pivoting well into some more serious material.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chumbler posted:

True!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

chumbler posted:

She did? I don't remember this from the manga.

Also:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...s/#.XHn3_OVOk0N

Join the SDF, we don't wear pants!

(I hate strike witches)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!