Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Best Crew! Thanks for the comments guys :)

I guess I need to read about Minotaurs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

I tried making a wet palette following the instructions in this video youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM and I'm not having much luck. No matter how little water I use, the paint separates almost immediately, it never stays pooled. Leaving it overnight makes it even worse. Is this just a matter of really carefully dialing in the amount of water?

I'm also trying a GW dry paint, and its... crumbly? I get that its much thicker than normal paints, but I'm having a hard time getting it into the bristles. I've tried 2 pots from 2 different stores (trying to avoid a bad batch) and they seem similar. Any amount of dry brushing it onto an actual miniature seems to leave powder/crumbs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BoneMonkey posted:

I'm trying on a space marine for size, I ended up making up the paint scheme because I couldn't find a chapter I 100% liked.

Sorry about it being a quick phone post. What do you guys think so far?

I might paint the gun red to bring things in a bit more, but I love the scheme. What will their logo be?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

a witch posted:

I tried making a wet palette following the instructions in this video youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM and I'm not having much luck. No matter how little water I use, the paint separates almost immediately, it never stays pooled. Leaving it overnight makes it even worse. Is this just a matter of really carefully dialing in the amount of water?

I'm also trying a GW dry paint, and its... crumbly? I get that its much thicker than normal paints, but I'm having a hard time getting it into the bristles. I've tried 2 pots from 2 different stores (trying to avoid a bad batch) and they seem similar. Any amount of dry brushing it onto an actual miniature seems to leave powder/crumbs.

They're supposed to look like that, you are likely using too much on the bristles. There really should be almost nothing on there.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Zuul the Cat posted:

The Darkoth Chieftain challenge made me want to paint the Godsworn Hunt models from Warhammer: Underworlds to use as a Skirmish Warband.

Here's some wip shots:

Trying different skin tones on everyone:

Ensorcelled Javelin lady:

Archer dude:

They'll all go along with this guy:

I'll get some good shots of everything once they're all done.

Whaaaat game or collection is this?

Edit: ugh it's right in the post, sorry, tired and dumb.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 1, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The four dude/ttes are from the nightvault darkoath warband (the godsworn hunt) and the guy with the sword leading is a darkoath chieftain, all are GW.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

He says it in the first sentence of the post :)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/WH-Underworlds-Godsworn-Hunt-ENG-2019 but it's these dudes.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Just did some quick skaven, unfortunately this taught me that I really need to improve my lighting setup beyond a piece of printer paper and a desk lamp for more contrast options.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
They look great!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

R0ckfish posted:

Just did some quick skaven, unfortunately this taught me that I really need to improve my lighting setup beyond a piece of printer paper and a desk lamp for more contrast options.

Beautiful!

For lighting, I really want to get a Photo Light Box, I have been thinking about this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2OH2D3/?coliid=I1D58C0G4RWLWF&colid=21XDLHC3RLL2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Finally got round to finishing a nice, leisurely-painted centrepiece model for my trolls;

Probably shouldn't have needed most of the month for to to be fair; a good week was lost faffing around with skin tones, and the sheer volume of greebles in the net took ages to get right - kept having to go back and paint bits I'd missed. Oh-so-very proud of the eyes though - turns out they're easy when they're around 5mm across.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I might paint the gun red to bring things in a bit more, but I love the scheme. What will their logo be?

Thanks dude, yeah i think you might be right about the gun, I'll give it a go. As for the logo, I'm not sure, anyone got any ideas?

Anyone got any ideas for a name for the chapter? I'm terrible at names.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BoneMonkey posted:

Thanks dude, yeah i think you might be right about the gun, I'll give it a go. As for the logo, I'm not sure, anyone got any ideas?

Anyone got any ideas for a name for the chapter? I'm terrible at names.

Crimson Ghosts
Brazen Ghosts
Scorched Marines
Scorched Angels

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

I said come in! posted:

Thank you, this morning I went back to the figure I painted and it actually doesn't look bad at all now that all of the paint is dried. I got frustrated because I was having trouble with gluing the pieces together. The Skitarii Ranger/Vanguard figures are a pain in the rear end to assemble. I am going to see if my local store offers help with painting/assembly and if they do any painting sessions. My local Games Workshop is a good place to look too.

Are you pinning difficult joins because you should always be pinning.

Stolen from the OP

quote:

Pinning
Pinning is the process of using a metal wire to connect two parts of a model together. This is most often done with metal models but some plastic models will benefit from this, particularly if the model is large, the arm or whatever is really big or heavy, or the model will be handled regularly (such as any wargaming figure). You might also be changing the position of an arm, bending a straight leg or swapping out a body part like a limb or head.

Note that not every part you glue on needs to be pinned, for example if you¡¯re gluing a Space Marine arm or bolter in place, that doesn¡¯t need to be pinned. But that long, wavy monster tentacle or arm that attaches in just one place on the body? You might want to pin that.

Materials Needed
All you¡¯ll need for this is a pin vice (basically a handheld drill bit chuck) with a 0.5mm drill bit, some paper clips to be the ¡®pin¡¯, a wire cutter to cut the paper clips and CA glue. You will probably also need to fill gaps (see next section).

How to pin
Basically, you will use the pin vice to drill a hole in each piece you are attaching together, then cut a short piece of wire, glue the wire into one of the holes and then the other, then glue the piece together. The glue and gap-filling material act together to hold it in place while the wire acts as a ¡®bone¡¯ and makes the connection much more secure than just the glue. Generally, you¡¯ll need to drill at least 3mm or ¨û¡± or more into each part to make sure it handles the rigors of regular handling, dropping, storage and movement, etc. For large models or metal models you¡¯ll want to drill about 5-6mm or ¨ù¡± into each piece if you can, and/or use multiple pieces of wire.

A pin vice is a really handy modelling tool and they aren't expensive. Also, adding a tiny bit of green stuff(or other modelling putty) to particularly difficult joins can help hold the join in place in combination with the pin while the glue dries.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Crimson Ghosts
Brazen Ghosts
Scorched Marines
Scorched Angels

Oh poo poo! I like all of these.

Crimson Ghosts Im leaning towards, but it's hard to choose.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BoneMonkey posted:

Oh poo poo! I like all of these.

Crimson Ghosts Im leaning towards, but it's hard to choose.

That was the first one I came up with and is probably my favorite.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Friendly Fire posted:

Are you pinning difficult joins because you should always be pinning.

Stolen from the OP

A pin vice is a really handy modelling tool and they aren't expensive. Also, adding a tiny bit of green stuff(or other modelling putty) to particularly difficult joins can help hold the join in place in combination with the pin while the glue dries.

You're not wrong in that pinning is awesome. That box has some fiddly rear end bits though when it comes to joining the arms together while trying to glue them to the body. I've been putting together models off and on for years and I still hate putting those dudes together.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
As mentioned before, I'm going through this whole thread cause it's awesome, and I just ran into Bulbasaur's undertone tutorial.

For my next model I'll try out some of what's discussed in it and I'll try to use a combination of techniques I've never used before:
A) I'll basecoat white (I think I've basecoated black 99% of what I've painted) and I'll try to use a wash on top of it to create an udertone;
B) I'll think about the palette and build it / copy it in advance, instead of making it up as I go, like I would normally do;
C) I'll keep working with thin and super thin paints.

I've been confronting my latest model with what good painters in the thread produce and I've noticed that, while the effect is decent at a distance, my traits are way less clean and clear when zoomed in - lots of "squiggly" or uneven lines. Being used to work with "thicker" paints than layers and glazes in the past, I guess I have not exercise my brush control too much, so I'll keep working on that.
I still want to try and blend two separate colors, but I'm not sure I'll be able to incorporate that in this model.

Not sure if this kind of post would be more in line with the oath thread? I've been trying to put my thoughts black on white to be able to get feedback during the WIPs and to build some kind of "diary" to keep my attempts at improving more focused. I can move it over to the other thread if I'm making GBS threads up the place, though :)

EDIT: a qq for Bulbasaur! What website are you using to set up the palette examples? These, just to be clear:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 1, 2019

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dunno if it’s the same, but I use Adobe Color CC.

e: And this is the mini painting thread, post everything and anything, don’t feel constrained to the oath thread, or the weirdly redundant Other painting thread.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ijyt posted:

Dunno if it’s the same, but I use Adobe Color CC.

e: And this is the mini painting thread, post everything and anything, don’t feel constrained to the oath thread, or the weirdly redundant Other painting thread.

The progress thread was intended as a way to encourage folks to post about models and show progress without worrying about oaths or whatnot. This thread seems to be more about techniques, etc. I'm not sure the other thread is necessary but folks still use it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

a witch posted:

Some paints separate very quickly - you'll have to periodically mix the pant with your brush on the palette. Also, make sure your paints are shaken very well in the pot. Add a glass or hematite bead to the pot to help with agitating the paints.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Crimson Ghosts
Brazen Ghosts
Scorched Marines
Scorched Angels

Hell’s Satan’s
Christ Punchers

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Phildo posted:

Hell’s Satan’s
Christ Punchers

The Good Bad Guys
The Bad Good Guys
Not chaos, but still p. dangerous IMO guys

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BoneMonkey posted:

I'm trying on a space marine for size, I ended up making up the paint scheme because I couldn't find a chapter I 100% liked.

Sorry about it being a quick phone post. What do you guys think so far?
Make me look bad, why don't you!

I proudly present the fourth dude I've ever painted, one of the ones who was the recipient of the really bad painting night I ranted about last time. It shows itself most clearly on the left shoulder, I really lost the raised edge there.

So, the ink wash obviously got away from me on this one. (Again, for those who remember my skeleton monster.) I don't think the painting mishaps did me any favors because there were definitely weird blotch points that just showed up and wouldn't go away, but some of the mess was definitely created in the ink wash stage. In particular, I loved how the oath paper came out when the painting was done, the wax was bright scarlet and the oath paper looked parchment-y and I'd even gotten some black lines on there that didn't look like writing, they looked like lines, but at least they could credibly represent writing. And then the ink touched it. I guess this dude's been in an explosion or something, he looks a bit scorched overall.

Also my first time with transfers and I'm pleased enough there. Obviously some damage to them, because I think the advice to score them eight ways like an asterisk (so that they conform to curved surfaces better) that I saw online is... really dumb and not helpful? It just ended up cutting pieces off. I'd rather intentionally make one deep cut on a clear area and let it fold over itself there.

Also, on his helmet -- according to the box art and manual, these dudes are supposed to have black detailing on their mouths to bring out the teeth-and-skull effect more, like this: (these are the dudes I got, so this is what I was trying for)

I just couldn't frigging get it. I tried painting black lines over the white and I couldn't get lines that fiddly and detailed -- they came out too thick, crooked, and/or in the wrong places so I couldn't have the right amount of lines. I tried painting the whole mouth black and then coming back in with white and ended up with... what you see there, because that didn't work either and I gave up.

I kinda loved him after the painting was done (the contrast between his chestplate and whatever that under-layer is on his midsection looked so damned good before the ink hit it), thought it was a disaster after the ink wash, and then the varnish and transfers did a lot to save the day.

Anyway, I am desperate for comments and especially critiques, so please tell me what you think and what I should be focusing on doing better. I leave you with fourth guy ever next to first guy ever, because progress is good.

"I'm brighter."
"My edges are cleaner."
"I'm so much more detailed than you."
"Yeah, well, my chest emblem is cooler."
"...gently caress you, man."

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

CapnAndy posted:

I proudly present the fourth dude I've ever painted...

Anyway, I am desperate for comments and especially critiques, so please tell me what you think and what I should be focusing on doing better. I leave you with fourth guy ever next to first guy ever, because progress is good

Main thing would be to use the wash like paint. Brush the wash along the recesses only, then come back with your blue and tidy up any tide marks it leaves.
I've made the mistake of using wash all over power armor and you just have to clean it up with the base color.
The wash should just come off your brush and hug into the deepest part. If you have any medium it won't hurt to thin it down some too. This could also be the way to get the black lines in the face/ teeth. Keep at it, a lot of this just takes practice.

E: Also, don't dip your brush in the pot then go immediately to model. Wipe off excess on something first. Better off having too little than too much.

Skails fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 1, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'd also add that you need to be thinning your paints a lot more. This is probably one of the hardest things to get a feel for when you are first starting out but try to get it thinned so that you can easily pull it out on your palette without feeling much resistance, but not so thin that it flows across the palette on its own. And when base coating, don't shoot for total coverage in one coat. It may feel like you barely put any paint on the model after the first coat, but you'll be surprised at how much more coverage the second coat provides.

In the same vein, for fine details like the skull mask, it might seem counter-intuitive but it's actually way easier to make a fine line with a very small amount of thinned down paint on the brush than it is with a glob of paint right out of the pot. If you want to make it even easier, pick up some flow improver and dab your brush in it each time before putting paint on the brush (and remember, only load a small amount of paint!). It will basically transform your brush into a super fine fountain pen.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 1, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Posting this WIP cause I have no idea on how to proceed :/

First and foremost I've basecoated this model with AP White - since the Vallejo Primer I've ordered is not here yet - and
A) I'm not used to basecoating white and
B) This vat is super chalky.

Off to a bad start <.<

I've used a few washes to give some weird undertones to the colors I'm going to use. This is going to be a Nurgle CW: I've washed purple for the greens, red for the browns&yellows and soft tone for the bones. I've tried using blue for the coat, but I may have also gone brown instead.

This is where I am atm and I'm not sure how to tie this in. My original idea was to do some kind of yellowish/golden color for the medallion, belt buckle and the symbol on the shield, but using paints this thin I'm unable to get a good color out of the mix. I'll probably end up doing a lot of mudding up, dirt and rust on the shield, but I don't think this will work as well for the smaller details. I like the way the purple is coming out from under the green, altough it's not very clear from the pics.

Any input is really appreciated! I think a lot of my works feel kinda flat since I use too much white for the highlights...which colors should I use in this case?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 1, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

Anyway, I am desperate for comments and especially critiques, so please tell me what you think and what I should be focusing on doing better. I leave you with fourth guy ever next to first guy ever, because progress is good.

All I'd worry about are the two big things all new painters have to worry about, thinning your paints and brush control. Figuring out how thin your paints need to be and how much paint to load onto the brush should give you a much smoother finish in the future. I still struggle with that though, honestly. If I'm unsure of the thickness I paint my thumbnail a little bit and correct from there. I also unload excess paint from my brush to my thumb because I'm an animal. Also as paint dries it can clump up if you keep messing with it, so keep that in mind.

As for the white face masks, painting white up from black can be tricky. Personally I would have based it grey, thinly layered on some very light grey, then using a small brush carefully place shade in the crevices of the teeth until it was dark enough.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 1, 2019

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

That Italian Guy posted:

As mentioned before, I'm going through this whole thread cause it's awesome, and I just ran into Bulbasaur's undertone tutorial.

For my next model I'll try out some of what's discussed in it and I'll try to use a combination of techniques I've never used before:
A) I'll basecoat white (I think I've basecoated black 99% of what I've painted) and I'll try to use a wash on top of it to create an udertone;
B) I'll think about the palette and build it / copy it in advance, instead of making it up as I go, like I would normally do;
C) I'll keep working with thin and super thin paints.

I've been confronting my latest model with what good painters in the thread produce and I've noticed that, while the effect is decent at a distance, my traits are way less clean and clear when zoomed in - lots of "squiggly" or uneven lines. Being used to work with "thicker" paints than layers and glazes in the past, I guess I have not exercise my brush control too much, so I'll keep working on that.
I still want to try and blend two separate colors, but I'm not sure I'll be able to incorporate that in this model.

Not sure if this kind of post would be more in line with the oath thread? I've been trying to put my thoughts black on white to be able to get feedback during the WIPs and to build some kind of "diary" to keep my attempts at improving more focused. I can move it over to the other thread if I'm making GBS threads up the place, though :)

EDIT: a qq for Bulbasaur! What website are you using to set up the palette examples? These, just to be clear:

Hey man, glad that this post was useful for you.

If you're set on pushing yourself and doing something new, you should look up my zenithal priming tutorial in the OP of this thread. Imagine that the primer creates your areas of light and dark. Then use washes or glazes over the top. The more you layer the more depth of color you will create. So for example, if you want to paint red, you can glaze the deep shadows with a purple, then wash the mid tones and purple with a green, and then switch to a dark red, then a mid tone red, and finally a highlight. Don't put your layers over the entire model, kinda start in the recesses and work outwards. Your final highlight wash should go over the brightest white highlight. It'll take a few attempts to get the hang of it, but its fast and fun.

As for my palette examples... I just used photoshop- imported a picture and then sampled the colors. You could probably do the same in gimp.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Oh my good god straight lines are hard to paint on shoulder pads! How do you guys do this poo poo!

I also tried out designing an emblem, I started with the Call of duty Ghosts skull and then fiddled from there till it was something I could call my own. What do you guys think?

Is it too cliche?
Also sorry for the phone pics again, I have a cheap light box thing coming so that should help.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

It doesn't matter if it's a cliché if it's bad-rear end! Your marines look spiffy as hell, and make me want to buy a box of 'em!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Those pauldrons own bones.

Question, is there a reliable way to get paint off part of a resin model without removing the piece and purplestuffing it? Got some dudes I'm happy with except for one part on each and they're second hand plastic glued together.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Those pauldrons own bones.

Question, is there a reliable way to get paint off part of a resin model without removing the piece and purplestuffing it? Got some dudes I'm happy with except for one part on each and they're second hand plastic glued together.

Isopropyl alcohol. Shouldn't hurt the resin, but I guess test it if you can.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BoneMonkey posted:

Oh my good god straight lines are hard to paint on shoulder pads! How do you guys do this poo poo!

I also tried out designing an emblem, I started with the Call of duty Ghosts skull and then fiddled from there till it was something I could call my own. What do you guys think?

Is it too cliche?
Also sorry for the phone pics again, I have a cheap light box thing coming so that should help.

Did you free hand that?

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

yeah?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Looks phenomenal.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

You a fluff person beer? if you are, mind if I pick your brains about it?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BoneMonkey posted:

You a fluff person beer? if you are, mind if I pick your brains about it?

Sure. Shoot me a PM.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mikey Purp posted:

I'd also add that you need to be thinning your paints a lot more.
Really? Is it bad everywhere? Apart from the chestplate and left shoulder I didn't think I'd lost any detail anywhere. What am I not seeing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BoneMonkey posted:

Is it too cliche?

This isn't cliche at all my man. This is outstanding.