Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

history is fractal. if it feels like you are running out of detail you just need to look a little closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

aphid_licker posted:

What's the process for code names? Some seem vaguely topical, Shark tail is a towed array, mouse roar is an active sonar, some seem like they might be intended to be descriptive, Front Dome, flap lid, and then you got the :effort: ones like badger or akula it means Shark in Russian :downs:

This Wikipedia article is a decent summary for some of it. The airplanes are actually pretty sensible, with props one syllable and jets multisyllabic, and the first letter indicate the role. I have no idea about the weird ones for radar and such - if anyone has an explanation for the names Fan Song, Skip Spin, Scrum Half, or Pop Group, I'd love to hear it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This is, like, a week late, but I finally figured out why I kept getting confused about gabions and stuff in this thread. I keep mixing it up with gambesons just because the words are so alike. I hope I'm not alone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well you can only wear one properly, the other will just get shale and sand down your pants.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

of course we know now that if a US Navy destroyer were transported back to WWII, it would immediately stray into the path of a liberty ship and be crippled

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

history is fractal. if it feels like you are running out of detail you just need to look a little closer.
history is measured by the foot. it is also quite heavy

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

This though escapes me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fitzgerald_and_MV_ACX_Crystal_collision

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

”This is Fulcrum and Flanker, over there are Foxbat, Frogfoot and Flogger. Those older two in the corner are Fishbed and, uh, Fagot.”

I know there aren't a lot of MiG-15s around outside of NK these days but what was up with that reporting name? I'm aware of the double meaning but I've never seen that spelling. Was that term not a slur in the 1950s or something?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The Fagot is a woodwind instruments. I believe it's also known as the bassoon in English.

In any case, they didn't mean the derogatory term for homosexual.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

zoux posted:

I know there aren't a lot of MiG-15s around outside of NK these days but what was up with that reporting name? I'm aware of the double meaning but I've never seen that spelling. Was that term not a slur in the 1950s or something?

“Fagot” is an old timey term for a bundle of steel rods.

“human being” is the slur. Tho i’m not sure if it was a contemporary slur in the early 1950s - im happy to be proven wrong.

Still weird as hell reporting name and sure as poo poo hasn’t aged well.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

“human being” is the slur. Tho i’m not sure if it was a contemporary slur in the early 1950s - im happy to be proven wrong.

Pretty sure the name refers to the instrument fagot, which is a fat hollow tube, just like a MiG-15. Also why the Soviets named a ATGM Fagot.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This is, like, a week late, but I finally figured out why I kept getting confused about gabions and stuff in this thread. I keep mixing it up with gambesons just because the words are so alike. I hope I'm not alone.

and both are made and used by welshmen

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Dance Officer posted:

The Fagot is a woodwind instruments. I believe it's also known as the bassoon in English.

In any case, they didn't mean the derogatory term for homosexual.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Honestly, considering it was one of the ones that was changed because the previous one was too nice I think they probably did mean it. The word was already in use by the 50s and spelling it with one G gives them the wiggle room to claim that it's a kind of instrument while still implicitly encouraging their pilots to look down on those 'orrible effeminate communists.

Hogge Wild posted:

and both are made and used by welshmen
So, incidentally, are faggots. The meatball.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Pretty sure the name refers to the instrument fagot, which is a fat hollow tube, just like a MiG-15. Also why the Soviets named a ATGM Fagot.

Ah that would make more sense.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's also a type of meat ball and a older word for a bundle of sticks, usually used in siege operations to bridge ditches and shallow depressions.

Sad how it has been transformed into a slur.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Ah, I'd never heard of that term then. Thanks, it makes sense now beyond just some dude decided to be an rear end in a top hat about gay people.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

FrangibleCover posted:

Honestly, considering it was one of the ones that was changed because the previous one was too nice I think they probably did mean it. The word was already in use by the 50s and spelling it with one G gives them the wiggle room to claim that it's a kind of instrument while still implicitly encouraging their pilots to look down on those 'orrible effeminate communists.

If this would be the case, then it's the only one that I can think of off the top of my head with an actual derogatory meaning.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A smug anti-communist homophobic fighter pilot leans back in his soiled poopy suit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

If this would be the case, then it's the only one that I can think of off the top of my head with an actual derogatory meaning.

Check out this dude who loves frog feet

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Dance Officer posted:

Flounder, Backfire, Careless, Clod, Cock, Coot, Crusty, Hokum, Hoodlum, Scunner, Gremlin, Grinch and while a quick check reveals Kegler is actually a bowling enthusiast it definitely sounds like it should be a nasty thing to say to someone.

I mean, it's only a hypothesis. But Fagot is a pretty obscure word otherwise.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Ok, point taken.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think Victoria came up more recently because she was recently made an obtainable leader in HoI4 through a very specific and RNG influenced path. You have to bring back Kaiser Wilhelm after a civil war, have the Hindenburg survive the first RNG influenced event where it blew up in history, and then do the national focus where you cozy up to the UK. The royal family flies to the UK in the Hindenburg and it blows up with all of them in it, making Victoria the reigning monarch.

You can also have Amelia Earhart as a fighter ace if she survives her circumnavigation of the world, which is also RNG based.

You missed the best bit: You can be named Holy Roman Emperor, too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

No, 'human being' is an old timey term for a bundle of (usually) sticks, from which the gay slur derives. Also, these things -

Edit: e;fb but hey have a picture of some traditional British food. They actually taste pretty good.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VanSandman posted:

You missed the best bit: You can be named Holy Roman Emperor, too.
if this is not your ambition in life i don't want to know you

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Every time people start talking about fagots I always think about cool aerospace engineer Max Faget, who worked on the design of most of the NASA spacecraft.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

feedmegin posted:

No, 'human being' is an old timey term for a bundle of (usually) sticks, from which the gay slur derives. Also, these things -

Edit: e;fb but hey have a picture of some traditional British food. They actually taste pretty good.

Etymologies of fag and human being are really complex, eg.

quote:

(Britain, education, archaic, colloquial) In many British boarding schools, a younger student acting as a servant for senior students.
Example of usage from 1791:
I had the character at ſchool of being the very beſt fag that ever came into it.

Derived terms:
(to act as a servant): fagger, faggery, fagging (as a noun), fagmaster

Anyway, seeing as fascism derives from fasces which means human being, imo it would be correct to call them as faggers or fag lovers.

Related video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Abnu2rwG4Y

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 1, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Comrade Koba posted:

”This is Fulcrum and Flanker, over there are Foxbat, Frogfoot and Flogger. Those older two in the corner are Fishbed and, uh, Fagot.”

Where's Fresco and Farmer?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Let us not forget the heroic pete "Maverick" Mitchell and his numerous encounters with the mig 28 fucknugget

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like this thread would appreciate this video. Slow motion footage of a Sherman firing where you can see the shockwave in the air, and the...uh...artillery deflective properties of watermelons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJ8EoGmLuE

Watch the whole video, they end up firing a Russian 152mm gun, which is just loving huge. And yes, the round actually deflects off of a watermelon. It's all truly fantastic footage.

The Ticonderoga at Midway discussion is overly focused on the kinematics. The real advantage it brings is a CiC full of trained operators. They'll set up good intercepts on all the incoming strike groups and the Wildcats will take care of breaking up the strikes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
It's inert training shot, so it doesn't exactly have the best ballistic properties.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

mllaneza posted:

The Ticonderoga at Midway discussion is overly focused on the kinematics. The real advantage it brings is a CiC full of trained operators. They'll set up good intercepts on all the incoming strike groups and the Wildcats will take care of breaking up the strikes.

Have they got the communications facilities to do that? I doubt the Tico can talk to the Wildcats or the WW2 Carriers so they'll probably be reduced to flashing information to another ship to be broadcast for the fighters. If they join the Japanese side then they can't talk to the fighters because most of the Zero pilots aren't listening and all aircraft communications are on one channel so it's unbelievably cluttered and I'm not sure that even getting a message to the Zeroes would be helpful because they're not trained in guided interception.

And the kinematics are such that they can solo the whole battle, which should be a consideration.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mllaneza posted:

Watch the whole video, they end up firing a Russian 152mm gun, which is just loving huge. And yes, the round actually deflects off of a watermelon. It's all truly fantastic footage.

I mean, a water melon is just fruit flavored water in a football shaped container. In the video the round goes through like a metre of melon before it goes off the track, which is incredible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

if this is not your ambition in life i don't want to know you

I'm only interested in being Augustus, thank you very much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a simple counterfactual with what should be a straightforward answer: Would Rome have been better or worse off had Caesar surrendered his legions in 49 BCE and gone into quiet retirement?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zoux posted:

Here's a simple counterfactual with what should be a straightforward answer: Would Rome have been better or worse off had Caesar surrendered his legions in 49 BCE and gone into quiet retirement?

I highly doubt it, it’s a miracle that the Roman State came out of the ensuing Civil Wars in one piece. If there’s no Augustus the whole thing probably breaks and stays apart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I highly doubt it, it’s a miracle that the Roman State came out of the ensuing Civil Wars in one piece. If there’s no Augustus the whole thing probably breaks and stays apart.

Why would there have been civil war absent the casting of die

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

That's a simple counterfactual much like "what is the nature of man" is a simple question.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's a simple counterfactual much like "what is the nature of man" is a simple question.

It seems that my overstatement borders on the humorous in this case

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also counterfactuals are dumb.

They can never be proven even by the lax standards that history "proves" anything. History is so contingent on a bewildering array of context, human agency, culture, and blind loving luck that we are really groping in the dark to describe how we think things probably were.

Whoever (I think it was Vincent van Goatse) said that they're not good for anything but arguments over beer was right. Not even fun arguments, just pointless masturbating.

edit: not even a fun wank. Like, bored and too lazy to turn on a computer game so you rub the third one of the day out before microwaving some of last night's taco bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We determined that he was a stick in the mud and then enjoyed several pages of counterfactual/hypothetical discussion.

Mostly I'm just curious what trajectory the Roman Republic was on in the first century and what would've happened had that continued rather than upended by Caesar, the CW, and Augustus.