Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

LLSix posted:

Reached the end of the first Forge of Destiny quest. I still enjoy it enough to keep reading, but I feel like it peaked somewhere around 2/3rds of the way through. The whole tone shifts once Ling Qi becomes one of the top cultivators. There isn't the frission of tension anymore that was the driving force of most of the story arc. She's clearly not a match for any of the top 3 cultivators but hardly anyone else is a meaningful threat anymore and it takes forever to get her spirit beast to be useful.

Looking over the new thread rules it looks like they forgot that Ling Qi owns a pill furnace; which is pretty funny since it was such a huge source of income for her.

Gan got the furnace.

And the tonal shift is one of the unfortunate side effects of having a crowd sourced bunch of nerds determine her build order and action economy that maximizing efficiency and gains.

Now the tension is to get strong ourselves and boost CRX up to meet Mama Cai’s goal (hopefully exceeding it) as dissapointing the Duchess would be capital B Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
Yeah on the one hand Ling Qi's cultivation was erratic and spread wide because a crowd can't really choose to focus properly but on the other hand part of that crowd hangs out in a discord ruthlessly calculating action and drug efficiency so it all works.

Threats in ToD are different because things are less Thunderdome-y so it's hard to determine exactly where we stand but the impression I get is that while Ling Qi is clearly still a prodigy she's approaching the level the other prodigies hang out at so things might level off soon.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
We've now entered a dark age of culture, as Mushoku Tensei finally had to relinquish its throne to the upstart that is Slime:

MT had been #1 on the overall ranking on Narou for like five years, before this stupid anime adaptation ruined everything.
Wonder if Arifureta will be next to rise on an animated wave. *shudder*

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I sincerely hope that the first season of Arifureta is pretty good and the final episode is protag guy making out of the dungeon.

Then the second season proves to be just as disappointing as the books were at that point.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Arifureta is a bottom tier isekai story but I'll have to admit, the Arifureta after story is totally awesome. The after story is about to surpass the main story in length now, and it rules.

It's basically what happens when a group of isekai kids go back to Japan after their adventures and are now basically superheroes, and some of the chapters are funny as poo poo. And this author just keeps going on and on, writing more stupid stuff. I can't believe it's as long as it is. Basically they turned a bog standard isekai into a gag comedy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

We've now entered a dark age of culture, as Mushoku Tensei finally had to relinquish its throne to the upstart that is Slime:

MT had been #1 on the overall ranking on Narou for like five years, before this stupid anime adaptation ruined everything.
Wonder if Arifureta will be next to rise on an animated wave. *shudder*

I strongly dislike the Slime series (though largely in the sense of thinking it's boring as poo poo and being baffled at the positive reception is receives), but I'd still rank it above both Mushoku Tensei and Arifureta. Slime series at least makes some effort to focus on other cast members and avoids some of the more creepy/weird stuff you see in series like Mushoku Tensei.

Bikindok posted:

Yeah on the one hand Ling Qi's cultivation was erratic and spread wide because a crowd can't really choose to focus properly but on the other hand part of that crowd hangs out in a discord ruthlessly calculating action and drug efficiency so it all works.

Threats in ToD are different because things are less Thunderdome-y so it's hard to determine exactly where we stand but the impression I get is that while Ling Qi is clearly still a prodigy she's approaching the level the other prodigies hang out at so things might level off soon.

I get the impression that Ling Qi's "class" is generally far better and more talented than most past classes; I believe it was explicitly mentioned that being near the peak of Yellow/Silver would normally be enough to get into the Inner Sect*, which obviously wasn't the case with Ling Qi's class. But other classes still definitely have their own prodigies, even if they're less numerous (like Xiulan's sister, who I believe was implied to be more talented than Xiulan herself, or at least was able to reach the same level without burning herself half to death), and the Inner Sect allows access to a whole bunch of the Sect's best students from other years (whereas previously the only older studnets Ling Qi could come into conflict with were ones who couldn't make it into the Inner Sect previously).

I've mentioned before how one thing I like about FoD/ToD is that it manages to balance Ling Qi being a talented prodigy with her existing in a setting where there are other people with equal amounts of talent and/or luck.

(Btw, I can pretty confidently say that LLSix will probably not like most of the other stuff mentioned in this thread if even Ling Qi's comparative level of power is bugging them. As someone who really likes FoD, I find the "overpowered" nature of protagonists in most other web novels to be intolerably boring, so I can't imagine someone enjoying them if even FoD is pushing the limit for them in terms of having an "overpowered protagonist.")

* This makes me hopeful for Han Jian and Gan Guangli joining the Inner Sect next year, and probably also Han Fang and that girl Gu Xiulan fought. They probably would have gotten in if their class were more of a normal one.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I forgot how goddamn short Cradle books are. I haven't so much read Underlord as inhaled it.

Good, though. I think I'd rank it a hair above Ghostwater? Maybe a hair below? I'd have to re-read Ghostwater to be sure. It's definitely got more time for the supporting cast, which was my one major complaint against Ghostwater, and Mercy gets to be a character finally, in her third book, which is nice. But what we trade for that is Ghostwater's roomy, fleshed-out A-plot. These books just aren't long enough to do justice to everything they want to cover. Maybe Wight will have the time to bulk them out after he's done with Elder Empire.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
FOD musings.

It is a more talented year due a combination of overachieving in various categories and the ducals and their retainers.

Usually, you get 0-2 talented commoners, 1 or so high noble, 1-2 older disciple greens.

In contrast, Ling Qi's year had 4 ducal greens, 2 ducal retainer greens, 2 talented commoners, 2 high noble greens, and 5 older disciple greens.

It's pretty insane ... But mostly the fault of the ducals because 5 guaranteed greens meant it became necessary to rush for green just to have a chance at a slot for Inner Sect. Yu Nuan shows that peak yellow can get in with luck in regular years. It's a little funny that usually new Inner Sect students are overranked... This year's class had the opposite problem in TOD.

The spillover will affect the next few years' tournaments too.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

For all of MT's faults, I have to admit that it does something very few power fantasies do; it actually show that the main character is NOT the strongest person in-universe.
That, and showing how much time and planning he puts into some of the major fights beforehand (like the fight against Orsted, where he builds a chunky, magical suit of Space Marine power armour, pretty much plans a spell rotation only to still get his lose one-sidedly) is something that I can't recall seeing in any other similar 'overpowered MC' isekai/fantasy stories. Usually a story would do the usual cop-out that Index is notorious for, where one side does something completely incomprehensible, but then the other side has miraculously planned for it and has the perfect counter.

I dig poo poo that shows the main characters actually struggling in difficult situations, since the genre is so full of the perfect solution being an asspull away.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I forgot how goddamn short Cradle books are. I haven't so much read Underlord as inhaled it.

Good, though. I think I'd rank it a hair above Ghostwater? Maybe a hair below? I'd have to re-read Ghostwater to be sure. It's definitely got more time for the supporting cast, which was my one major complaint against Ghostwater, and Mercy gets to be a character finally, in her third book, which is nice. But what we trade for that is Ghostwater's roomy, fleshed-out A-plot. These books just aren't long enough to do justice to everything they want to cover. Maybe Wight will have the time to bulk them out after he's done with Elder Empire.

Yeah; I just started reading them a week ago, and according to my Kindle it only takes me about 3 hours to finish each one. I'm almost finished with Skysworn now, and I'm dreading catching up (though at least I was lucky to start reading them in time for Underlord to be released).

I really love the whole "there are multiple levels of power that you climb with a super high peak, and you learn elemental-based arts and poo poo" of cultivation settings, but unfortunately they're almost never done well. At least I have FoD/ToD to give me a steady drip even after I catch up with Cradle.

HiveCommander posted:

For all of MT's faults, I have to admit that it does something very few power fantasies do; it actually show that the main character is NOT the strongest person in-universe.
That, and showing how much time and planning he puts into some of the major fights beforehand (like the fight against Orsted, where he builds a chunky, magical suit of Space Marine power armour, pretty much plans a spell rotation only to still get his lose one-sidedly) is something that I can't recall seeing in any other similar 'overpowered MC' isekai/fantasy stories. Usually a story would do the usual cop-out that Index is notorious for, where one side does something completely incomprehensible, but then the other side has miraculously planned for it and has the perfect counter.

I dig poo poo that shows the main characters actually struggling in difficult situations, since the genre is so full of the perfect solution being an asspull away.

This is why I like both Re:Zero and Grimgar. Re:Zero would be close to the ideal isekai WN if not for the fact that I strongly dislike its romance threads. Emilia becomes more fleshed out in the fourth arc, but her as a love interest for Subaru kinda skeeves me out (mainly because - Arc 4 spoilers - she's mentally 14 or 15. In general I absolutely despise romances where the love interest mostly looks up to (if not outright worhips/adores) the protagonist. But fortunately all the other elements of its plot are pretty great, and so far it's avoided getting too unbearable with the romance stuff (writing out Rem helps avoid what would have otherwise been a small harem-ish situation).

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah I wish cradles budget was 120k words per instead of 80-90.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I haven't read Arifureta, what makes it so bad?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Arifureta starts as this nitty gritty survival story about a dude who ends up stuck at the bottom of a super deadly dungeon and all the poo poo he has to go through to survive. Then at the very bottom he finds a vampire loli and things only get worse after that. lovely harem, no challenge, bad characterizations, poorly thought out story threads that all blend together in their awfulness. Like if it was that poo poo all the way through, nobody would talk poo poo about it, but it started so strong, comparatively.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 2, 2019

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Arifureta is pretty much the originator of the "whole class gets summoned to another world by a king with suspicious motives and everyone gets special skills, the MC is weaker than everyone else and is bullied for it, but then ditches the rest of the class and becomes the strongest" subgenre of isekai novels. This subgenre tends to be extra samey and is not all that good.

I don't remember it having much in the way of creepy glaring flaws in the way that Goblin Slayer or Shield Hero did, but it's overall just kind of mediocre. The hero in particular I remember being kind of half assed. Portayed as being super edgy and grimdark but not actually acting like it, constantly talking up how the main heroine is the only person he cares about while he simultaneously builds a harem. The reason he becomes the strongest character in the story is kind of half-assed, too. He just conveniently happens to find a magic mcguffin at just the right place at just the right time.

Like, it's not something I'd point to as being awful in particular, it's just...kinda boring.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I really liked Underworld. I think it's probably the strongest since the third book. Skysworn/Ghostwater were fine, but quite a bit less well done it felt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I haven't read Arifureta, what makes it so bad?

two words: cum slimes

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

My biggest complaint is that the Suriel Sub-plot is forever going to be in a holding pattern until Lindon and friends catch up to her. I don't particularly want the author to rush through the Cradle stuff either to get to it. Also, when Lindon and Friends eventually do get to her, it would've been far more interesting if the reader is just as blind about the situation as them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

My biggest complaint is that the Suriel Sub-plot is forever going to be in a holding pattern until Lindon and friends catch up to her. I don't particularly want the author to rush through the Cradle stuff either to get to it. Also, when Lindon and Friends eventually do get to her, it would've been far more interesting if the reader is just as blind about the situation as them.

The Suriel sub-plot largely exists to create gigantic, terrifying shakeups in the main story, like one of her fellow judges waking a Dreadgod early. The protagonists' job isn't to fix her problems, but to survive the fallout from her own far more consequential adventure. At the very most, they might break a key component in an Abidan superweapon or get some vital information to her in the nick of time. This is the story of Cradle, not the story of the Abidan Empire.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing that confuses me a bit is that I was under the impression that Li Markuth guy from Book 1 was at least as strong as anyone on Cradle, since he had "ascended" beyond it, but the powers he demonstrates aren't anything remotely approaching that of what we've seen from a Monarch (they seemed roughly comparable to what you might expect from an Underlord or Overlord; I remember him shooting big balls of wind into the air or something, but his brief struggle against Suriel didn't involve anything approaching what we know to be "top Cradle-level power").

One other thing that comes to mind is that the Wei Path of the White Fox actually seems pretty good compared with many of the outside world paths we've seen. The ability to make your enemies see illusions is pretty good and useful, and I feel like it was even explicitly mentioned at some point that forging light madra is really difficult, yet the Wei could forge extremely realistic disguises from light/dream madra.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that confuses me a bit is that I was under the impression that Li Markuth guy from Book 1 was at least as strong as anyone on Cradle, since he had "ascended" beyond it, but the powers he demonstrates aren't anything remotely approaching that of what we've seen from a Monarch (they seemed roughly comparable to what you might expect from an Underlord or Overlord; I remember him shooting big balls of wind into the air or something, but his brief struggle against Suriel didn't involve anything approaching what we know to be "top Cradle-level power").

One other thing that comes to mind is that the Wei Path of the White Fox actually seems pretty good compared with many of the outside world paths we've seen. The ability to make your enemies see illusions is pretty good and useful, and I feel like it was even explicitly mentioned at some point that forging light madra is really difficult, yet the Wei could forge extremely realistic disguises from light/dream madra.

Markuth turned day to night through sheer concentration of wind madra. That's pretty much Monarch-level. Everything else was him either toying with pathetically weak enemies or making GBS threads himself and freezing up when he found himself face to face with an Abidan Judge. Dude literally only got to swing his sword once against someone almost completely invulnerable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Markuth turned day to night through sheer concentration of wind madra. That's pretty much Monarch-level. Everything else was him either toying with pathetically weak enemies or making GBS threads himself and freezing up when he found himself face to face with an Abidan Judge. Dude literally only got to swing his sword once against someone almost completely invulnerable.

Oh, I completely forgot about the "turning day to night" thing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

two words: cum slimes
But that was fine in Oglaf.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Underlord was a good read. I wasn't happy with Mercy before, but her revelation sold me on her. I was also really worried about Dross because I feel like I've seen that kind of character/powerup enough, but Underlord also assuaged my fears there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

My biggest complaint is that the Suriel Sub-plot is forever going to be in a holding pattern until Lindon and friends catch up to her.

I'm happy for it to stay on ice, frankly, but it doesn't need to do it on-screen. There was no point to her showing up in this one at all.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm fully expecting Lindon to split his core again for the White Fox, no matter how ridiculous or unnecessary that would be. :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm happy for it to stay on ice, frankly, but it doesn't need to do it on-screen. There was no point to her showing up in this one at all.

I'm fully expecting Lindon to split his core again for the White Fox, no matter how ridiculous or unnecessary that would be. :colbert:

I mean, we now have an enemy faction to the Abidan with somewhat comparable powers. That's something, especially if it turns out that one of the Akura Lindon now has to work with is carrying one of their marbles.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I want him to split it again more as a way of keeping memories of cradle than to gain power. London is a pack rat, that he isn’t splitting his core to collect some fisher madra and some white fox madra etc feels silly. He might never find time for studying them, but even just a pile of pure but copper cores to dump strange madra he comes across into seems way too useful not to do for his soulsmithing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah there's a bit where someone makes an illusionary map and Lindon thinks something to the effect of "man that's garbage, if it was White Fox it would look completely realistic and it could even make you think you could smell it."

Edit: Found the passage.

Ghostwater posted:

Lindon was less than impressed. A White Fox binding could have made an illusion that looked real, and suggested sound and even smell.

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 3, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah, what I was saying is that I don't understand why the Suriel sub-plot is even a thing when 90% of it is just pointless filler. She doesn't need to show up in every book.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Piell posted:

Yeah there's a bit where someone makes an illusionary map and Lindon thinks something to the effect of "man that's garbage, if it was White Fox it would look completely realistic and it could even make you think you could smell it."

Edit: Found the passage.

It kind of contributes to the idea that there was something else holding back Sacred Valley folks from ascending beyond Jade, since they seem to have really squeezed a lot of fine control and utility over what limited raw power they have access to. When you think about it, ascending to Gold is less a matter of accruing a bunch of power and more just a matter of knowing the trick to doing it, which is why pretty much everyone becomes Gold in the outside world. Makes you wonder if they just couldn't bind remnants to themselves in Sacred Valley for some reason, or they just never figured out how. The Jade Wei Patriach dude even managed to fool Li Markuth with his illusion clone, which is impressive given the massive gap in power, even if the latter wasn't paying close attention.

Speaking of the Path of the White Fox, what was their Enforcer technique? I remember their Striker was foxfire, Ruler was "directly manipulating other peoples' senses," and Forger was creating illusive objects.

By the way, did we ever figure out what sort of Path the Li have?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's also possible that Li Markuth tagged along with someone else rather than leaving Cradle by his own merits.

As for the Path of the White Fox being unusually potent, I figure it may also have to do with them having time to refine techniques and poo poo. The typical path of cultivation trends upwards. The prodigies and hardest workers are the ones who can probably get the most out of any technique in a lifetime but they're also the ones that endanger themselves recklessly for more power, etc. Leave them in an environment where they hit their peak and can only make small marginal gains, and they may focus on what they excel at: Their techniques. Because they're not building an ever increasing stable of powers and poo poo, they get better and better at what they do have, and then pass it down to the next generation of prodigies.

It probably also helps that the Path of the White Fox likely leans on finesse a lot since it's not simply punch harder, it's got a lot more room to improve.

Outside the Sacred Valley, talented people aren't going to be left to focus on basic techniques. Hell, if your talent is recognized, whatever clan or sect you belong to will likely invest in your growth. And why not, right? A low ranking technique could be made to be far better than it ought to be but you're going to learn how to call lightning down from the skies rather than that one weird trick to make lightning strike a position precisely ten meters away from you.

That's my take anyway.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ytlaya posted:

It kind of contributes to the idea that there was something else holding back Sacred Valley folks from ascending beyond Jade, since they seem to have really squeezed a lot of fine control and utility over what limited raw power they have access to. When you think about it, ascending to Gold is less a matter of accruing a bunch of power and more just a matter of knowing the trick to doing it, which is why pretty much everyone becomes Gold in the outside world. Makes you wonder if they just couldn't bind remnants to themselves in Sacred Valley for some reason, or they just never figured out how. The Jade Wei Patriach dude even managed to fool Li Markuth with his illusion clone, which is impressive given the massive gap in power, even if the latter wasn't paying close attention.

Speaking of the Path of the White Fox, what was their Enforcer technique? I remember their Striker was foxfire, Ruler was "directly manipulating other peoples' senses," and Forger was creating illusive objects.

By the way, did we ever figure out what sort of Path the Li have?

"Enforcers kept their madra close, even inside, and White Fox Enforcers deceived their opponents by hiding their steps or subtle movements in a skill called the Foxtail. Their punches looked slightly longer than they were, their steps shorter, their motions faster, their reactions slower. In battle, where victory or defeat could ride on the accuracy of split-second judgments, Enforcers of the Wei clan could be the most frustrating enemies."

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, what I was saying is that I don't understand why the Suriel sub-plot is even a thing when 90% of it is just pointless filler. She doesn't need to show up in every book.

She should show up in the first book as she did and the last book before ascension. The rest of it is just boring filler without context, context that we won't have until ascension.

Edit: Best part of the book is the very end where we find out where Orthos went. Orthos is the best.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 3, 2019

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I like suriel showing up in every book, because the reminder that cradle is where the infants is kept is helpful and she provides a nice control to compare the crew to as well as a gently rolling forward calendar for our heroes ascension. Even if will decides not to play it straight, for now you can somewhat safely assume that when things are at their bleakest for the abidan, enter the heroes.

I would like more words on the heroes, but I don't know that cutting suriel scenes would get us more words on the heroes. Will seems to have a strict outline of how much hero-plot goes into each book these days, and it's just 3/4 of what I want to read. (it's a perfectly reasonable amount, it doesn't feel like he's leaving stuff out, I just want slightly longer books)

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/deathbladeISSTH/status/1101985586858975237

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It was actually confirmed by the author on his site that Li Markuth ascended from secondary means (most people who ascends do) and was a Archlord. Likewise, Elder Whisper was the strongest guy around the sacred valley, and is a Truegold.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just finished Underlord and its easy to see the improvement in Will Wright's writing. He's getting a lot better at humor. Still takes a paragraph or more to set up jokes but they're good enough now that I had to stifle laughter a couple of times. This was the first set of "bloopers" that were mostly funny too.

I like that Suriel hardly showed up in this one, just at the beginning and the end. I hope that's a trend that continues because he's realizing the Abbidan stuff is just a distraction.

Cynic Jester posted:

Edit: Best part of the book is the very end where we find out where Orthos went. Orthos is the best.

It's nice that Orthos is doing something good, but that whole plot just annoys me. Yerin and the Sword Sage savaged the Heaven's Glory School. They wounded all of their Jades to the point that they were too scared to fight Yerin or the Sword Sage remnant again. Yerin and Lindon killed at least 1 Jade. Basically all of the Irons were put in the hospital by Yerin. After being weakened so much the other schools in the Valley should have torn them apart and split the loot. Even if defending gave them enough of an edge to continue existing; they certainly shouldn't have had enough spare resources to gently caress up Wei clan. Especially since some of the sect members would have come from the Wei clan and might have fought with the Wei.

Anias posted:

I want him to split it again more as a way of keeping memories of cradle than to gain power. London is a pack rat, that he isn’t splitting his core to collect some fisher madra and some white fox madra etc feels silly. He might never find time for studying them, but even just a pile of pure but copper cores to dump strange madra he comes across into seems way too useful not to do for his soulsmithing.

Underlord bloopers have a passage about splitting Lindon's core again. Apparently there are loud groups of readers both for and against it. There are good in-universe reasons not to split his core more too. Several times people have pointed out that having two paths slows Lindon down because he has twice as much to learn. It's the same reason given for most people only developing a handful of techniques. Refining a few techniques through constant practice is more powerful than having a bunch of them.

He doesn't need to carry extra madras for smithing because his pure madra is already compatible with everything.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 3, 2019

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

LLSix posted:

It's nice that Orthos is doing something good, but that whole plot just annoys me. Yerin and the Sword Sage savaged the Heaven's Glory School. They wounded all of their Jades to the point that they were too scared to fight Yerin or the Sword Sage remnant again. Yerin and Lindon killed at least 1 Jade. Basically all of the Irons were put in the hospital by Yerin. After being weakened so much the other schools in the Valley should have turn them apart and split the loot. Even if defending gave them enough of an edge to continue existing; they certainly shouldn't have had enough spare resources to gently caress up Wei clan. Especially since some of the sect members would have come from the Wei clan and might have fought with the Wei.

They don't have to do anything more than put a bounty on Lindon's family, there are plenty of people in the valley and their own clan who would sell them out for scraps, especially after Lindon's actions at the tournament.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arkeus posted:

It was actually confirmed by the author on his site that Li Markuth ascended from secondary means (most people who ascends do) and was a Archlord. Likewise, Elder Whisper was the strongest guy around the sacred valley, and is a Truegold.

I started Ghostwater recently, and it also basically answered this. It mentioned that people at the Sage or Herald level generally either "ascend to somewhere" or become Monarchs. So Monarchs are apparently actually stronger than many/most people who ascend, and are people who, for whatever reason, choose to stay on Cradle.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

LLSix posted:

It's nice that Orthos is doing something good, but that whole plot just annoys me. Yerin and the Sword Sage savaged the Heaven's Glory School. They wounded all of their Jades to the point that they were too scared to fight Yerin or the Sword Sage remnant again. Yerin and Lindon killed at least 1 Jade. Basically all of the Irons were put in the hospital by Yerin. After being weakened so much the other schools in the Valley should have turn them apart and split the loot. Even if defending gave them enough of an edge to continue existing; they certainly shouldn't have had enough spare resources to gently caress up Wei clan. Especially since some of the sect members would have come from the Wei clan and might have fought with the Wei.

The Wei Clan doesn't have any golds aside from Elder Whisper who is under some sort of restriction, and probably can't use his full power. Also, the sect must have some really powerful artifacts, if even their minor treasury has some really valuable stuff in it. Also, the sect only lost one of their golds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Wei Clan doesn't have any golds aside from Elder Whisper who is under some sort of restriction, and probably can't use his full power. Also, the sect must have some really powerful artifacts, if even their minor treasury has some really valuable stuff in it. Also, the sect only lost one of their golds.

The sect doesn't have any Golds. Sacred valley caps out at Jade, Whisper aside.