Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DrPossum posted:

lmao if you don't use the raw awesome micormanaging power of umatrix and you have to guess at 50 different sites through a dozens of reloads before you can watch an embedded video

lmao if you just guess instead of using the log to figure out which blocked requests are breaking sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

silentsnack posted:

lmao if you just guess instead of using the log to figure out which blocked requests are breaking sites

lmao i guess

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Outrail posted:

I was going to say I like this and would subscribe to your newsletter and remembered I used to browse the fark forums in 2001 or whatever century that was.

E: lol it's still a thing.

youre welcome :tipshat: i put most of my brainstorms on gist.github.com but the real good ones i put in these here threads

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

The thing about most of these obfuscation techniques is that these companies know the data they collect is garbage but it doesn't matter. The only thing keeping silicon valley afloat is cheap money from the fed so all their business models could just as well be based on unicorn farts.

yes but even though 99% data is garbage, you can still legally buy up to date location data on pretty much any given person who owns a smartphone

the idea is the make the 1% good data indistinguishable from the bad like encryption :f5:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

silentsnack posted:

I like the guessing part though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the guessing part is good because it lets you reconsider whether you really need to watch the video

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah it's typically a rule set by the employer to make it a request like anyone else

my fav one of those she told me was the rule one hospital had that you couldn't be seen looking at a smartphone in the hallways or in front of patients, because apparently someone got busted "consulting dr google"

I had a doctor pull out her phone to look up what vaccinations I needed for my vacation right in front of me during a visit, and while at the time I thought it was shady, on further consideration it really is for the best that doctors not pretend to be inscrutable demi-gods.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

eSports Chaebol posted:

I had a doctor pull out her phone to look up what vaccinations I needed for my vacation right in front of me during a visit, and while at the time I thought it was shady, on further consideration it really is for the best that doctors not pretend to be inscrutable demi-gods.

"So I'm going to Honduras for three weeks and was wondering if I'm up to date on my vaccinations or if I need anything new?"

"...ph'nglui mglw'nafh R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn and yellow fever is a good idea"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shear Modulus posted:

the guessing part is good because it lets you reconsider whether you really need to watch the video

remember back before youtube preroll ads could be blocked?

9 times of 10 i would just reflexively close the window again if it had a preroll (even so much i sometimes thought "aw man i kinda wanted to watch it", but not enough that i would reopen it; i remember this vividly).

if i really wanted to watch the video, my eyes would be glued to the little "you can skip in 5 4 3 2 1" button in the corner to cliclcickcik

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Outrail posted:

"So I'm going to Honduras for three weeks and was wondering if I'm up to date on my vaccinations or if I need anything new?"

"...ph'nglui mglw'nafh R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn and yellow fever is a good idea"

that's elder-gods

demi-gods recommend risque procedures

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

yes but even though 99% data is garbage, you can still legally buy up to date location data on pretty much any given person who owns a smartphone

the idea is the make the 1% good data indistinguishable from the bad like encryption :f5:

yeah, but a random link-clicker isn't gonna thwart thaf

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Main Paineframe posted:

not even close

DNT went totally off the rails when the W3C put a straight up lunatic in charge of the committee, and by the time they kicked her out the damage was done and it was dead in the water

prior to that, a number of large sites were pretty much honouring it, but weren’t publicly saying so because they didn’t want to commit to whatever the nutball running the committee came up with next. and then the window was closed for various similar reasons

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

They actually make a lot of medical reference books in phone-app form now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MRC48B posted:

They actually make a lot of medical reference books in phone-app form now.

I didn't know WebMD had an app.

*tap tap tap*

I'm a doctor now! :downs:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I bet the real deal med book apps cost a fortune. And are probably subscription based.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

epocrates is/was the common drug interaction app, and it was either free or cheap when I used to race my doctor with it

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a decade ago they would've just popped open a book to look that up and you wouldn't have thought twice

mwdical texts *generally* have a bit more documented peer review than webmd though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
pfft like you haven't gone in and swapped all the pharmacology around in wikipedia articles just to see if anyone notices

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Main Paineframe posted:

clearly, but how about an adversarial nn rewarded for certain ad results, maybe it might be fun to try??

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krankenstyle posted:

clearly, but how about an adversarial nn rewarded for certain ad results, maybe it might be fun to try??

these have been used to test anti-fraud systems. the results haven’t been great so far

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

these have been used to test anti-fraud systems. the results haven’t been great so far

how about putting on sunglasses and firing a gun into all the ad companies

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
People have developed a browser addon that makes websites that aren't racist enough more racist a la Google Sidewiki https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/01/gab-dissenter-comments-extension/

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lol if you don’t think some private entity already has the equivalent of China’s social credit system ready for beta testing over here
a big part of that story that didn't make it to English language media is that the people who were blocked by it were all people engaging in lovely business practices, underpaying employees, overcharging for rent, charging unreasonably high interest on loans, etc. basically, you don't to get to enjoy luxury if you made your money at the expense of others. the story we got isn't really plausible. i'm sure they would do it if they could, but that's probably a decade away.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

a big part of that story that didn't make it to English language media is that the people who were blocked by it were all people engaging in lovely business practices, underpaying employees, overcharging for rent, charging unreasonably high interest on loans, etc. basically, you don't to get to enjoy luxury if you made your money at the expense of others. the story we got isn't really plausible. i'm sure they would do it if they could, but that's probably a decade away.

like i keep saying its way better than us credit scores where more money = better than

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
------> https://www.hoofstep.com <------

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im on the net me boys posted:

People have developed a browser addon that makes websites that aren't racist enough more racist a la Google Sidewiki https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/01/gab-dissenter-comments-extension/

i cant tell if its the jew-parentheses

engadget is apparently part of an "oath" network which as far as i can tell is intended to create labyrinthine modal dialogs in order to demoralize europeans

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i cant get the facebook chat to work, is it my adblock?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Krankenstyle posted:

i cant get the facebook chat to work, is it my adblock?

Turn that poo poo off fool. Embrace the machine. Cast off these laws of lesser men

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Woof Blitzer posted:

Turn that poo poo off fool. Embrace the machine. Cast off these laws of lesser men

no

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Food Boner posted:

like i keep saying its way better than us credit scores where more money = better than

if it doesn't come with a ranking monkey that tells me my worth as a person then no dice.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

i cant tell if its the jew-parentheses

engadget is apparently part of an "oath" network which as far as i can tell is intended to create labyrinthine modal dialogs in order to demoralize europeans

oath is the name of the verizon subsidiary that they stuffed aol and yahoo into after they bought them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shear Modulus posted:

oath is the name of the verizon subsidiary that they stuffed aol and yahoo into after they bought them

thx but whats the article about

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Krankenstyle posted:

thx but whats the article about

The neonazi Twitter clone "gab" made a browser extension where their users can have their own comment box for any page on the net

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

The neonazi Twitter clone "gab" made a browser extension where their users can have their own comment box for any page on the net

Good. Scream into the echo chamber for all I care

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

wasnt there a thing like this for firefox ages ago but you could draw on websites and so if you used it any website that was remotely popular was immediately rendered unusable by dicks everywhere

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

wasnt there a thing like this for firefox ages ago but you could draw on websites and so if you used it any website that was remotely popular was immediately rendered unusable by dicks everywhere

Well nothing's stopping you from downloading this one and spamming goatse on every site.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/1/18246297/china-transportation-people-banned-poor-social-credit-planes-trains-2018 :stare:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Feed me that sweet sweet dystopian nectar

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao there have been so many of those distributed comment box systems

i even did dev on one in like 00 or 01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS