Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm showing my girlfriend season 1 of TNG and even though it's ropey as gently caress she still finds it really different to discovery.
As someone who's going into it mostly blind it's pretty clear the Orville is the successor to the "feel" of TNG rather than Discovery.

That's not saying Discovery is bad or anything, it's just a really different sort of show and we're both finding it really hard to stay interested. Like I said in a different thread (or maybe this one I dunno) Discovery just feels so NuWho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

I thought the Season 4 ending episode revealed (via future CNN clips or something) that the Alliance lasted awhile, then stagnated and fell, and something new arose from its ashes.

And then Humans eventually turn into Vorlon-likes in a couple million years.

The future clip stuff showed that Earth had another civil war and nuked itself into the Dark Ages and became a technophobic pre-industrial society, and then Alliance agents infiltrated the new society to help uplift the planet back into a technological state more rapidly. Presumably the off-Earth human alliance members were part of this too. The ship we see in the million years segment has the logo of the Rangers (the Interstellar Alliance defense force) on it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The main thing distinguishing Orville from Trek is it is 0% epistilary. Every Trek is bookended by readings of logs and interspersed with in character narration to the point where it feels weird watching a similar show that isn't.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The main thing distinguishing Orville from Trek is it is 0% epistilary. Every Trek is bookended by readings of logs and interspersed with in character narration to the point where it feels weird watching a similar show that isn't.

I agree but it still has that same sort of....quiet discussion feel about it. It's not action based even when there IS action.
Discovery feels "off" for the same reason First Contact does, I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
as much as I like TNG it's weird to me to want MORE TNG. it's such a weird, cobbled together product of its time and its production circumstances. i guess though I don't really care about "scifi tv"--I have no care really whether there's ever more scifi tv, or if the scifi that's on TV is suitably diverse or whatever. TNG is TNG, it's Trek. Only DS9 is really scifi at all and it's still more Trek than scifi.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Taear posted:

LAs someone who's going into it mostly blind it's pretty clear the Orville is the successor to the "feel" of TNG rather than Discovery.

It’s the successor to that late Next Generation/Voyager aesthetic, mostly, which they’ve achieved fantastically. The Orville feels like a 90s TV show made with today’s technology. Discovery (the current season, at least) feels like a contemporary Star Trek show.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
And that sums up why I’m not interested in The Orville, but hope its fans get to enjoy it for as long as it is good. “Seth Macfarlane makes a TNG homage” sounds exactly like a thing that I’m sure is fine and that I know some people will love, but is also not for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Have the sets on The Orville stopped looking quite so cheap? Like, the S1 engine room looked very low-detail and low-effort.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Geekboy posted:

And that sums up why I’m not interested in The Orville, but hope its fans get to enjoy it for as long as it is good. “Seth Macfarlane makes a TNG homage” sounds exactly like a thing that I’m sure is fine and that I know some people will love, but is also not for me.

Oh it's homage to so much more than just Star Trek

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Geekboy posted:

I was an ardent critic for most of its first season as it just continually cribbed from TNG A and B plots, but season 2 has been a huge upgrade into something resembling an actual sci-fi show. Not to mention that the latest episode featured the best tv space battle since Sacrifice of Angels.

It’s not at all what I’d want from a contemporary Trek show, but the Orville is definitely worth a watch and shouldn’t be so easily dismissed anymore.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Taear posted:

I'm showing my girlfriend season 1 of TNG and even though it's ropey as gently caress she still finds it really different to discovery.
As someone who's going into it mostly blind it's pretty clear the Orville is the successor to the "feel" of TNG rather than Discovery.

That's not saying Discovery is bad or anything, it's just a really different sort of show and we're both finding it really hard to stay interested. Like I said in a different thread (or maybe this one I dunno) Discovery just feels so NuWho.

This tracks because I tried and failed to like NuWho as well.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was an ardent critic for most of its first season as it just continually cribbed from TNG A and B plots, but season 2 has been a huge upgrade into something resembling an actual sci-fi show. Not to mention that the latest episode featured the best tv space battle since Sacrifice of Angels.

It’s not at all what I’d want from a contemporary Trek show, but the Orville is definitely worth a watch and shouldn’t be so easily dismissed anymore.
Yeah I'm not going to get super into it with someone who really hates what Orville is, but where the show is at now, it's probably my second favorite scifi TV show, just behind DS9. The way they're telling stories without the viewpoint of "what if everyone was fundamentally Great At Everything" but with the same messages is finally starting to land, and the most recent two parter was stronger than any Trek movie or two-parter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, neat, apparently the screen/window on the Orville bridge is actually a 90 foot actual screen, and they punch in the view during shooting so they don't have to greenscreen basically every shot on the bridge.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh it's homage to so much more than just Star Trek

That loving slayed me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Orville is fine, just don’t go in expecting it to be something it’s not. It’s hardcore post-OT Trek nostalgia (right down to the shamelessly ripped off James Horner score), with some hit-or-miss humour scattered around there, and a few Trek-lite plots that occasionally border on genuinely interesting. It’s like Voyager if they’d let the characters actually be interesting, basically.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
God, everyone keeps leaning on the Horner references in the score, and I'm the only one pointing out that the show also loves to ripoff the seaQuest theme.

EDIT: also pretty sure the last episode hit some big Williams/Star Wars beats.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The Orville feels like a kind of Last Man Standing for trekkies, a show that assures its audience that 80s/90s scifi was the best scifi, drat it! (I'm speaking here more about it being a throwback, not about its politics, mind you)

I understand the opinion and I respect it, but I don't hold it. It's not for everyone. But the world can fit more than one scifi show, we'll all be fine. We wouldn't be trek nerds if we didn't argue about dumb poo poo.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ashpanash posted:

We wouldn't be trek nerds if we didn't argue about dumb poo poo.
no you like voyager you big patoot :mad:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*prophet voice* star trek is...bad? What is this?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Star Trek has been bad after DS9.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks Sisko

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Star Trek is...not linear.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Orville clearly takes a lot of inspiration from TNG but it mixes things up enough to make it fresh and exciting and relevant while at the same time familiar and emotional, which ultimately is all I ever really wanted from any version of Star Trek. Surprisingly, I find myself enjoying it for what it is and not just what it reminds me of!

STD by comparison feels like an overproduced Voyager episode that drags on for half a season. I mean it's not like there's nothing in there I like but I'm tired of fishing for nuggets of gold in things

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Discover has a lot in it that works for me. If they could hold the camera still and get rid of the Empress and the Section 31 ship, it might even have proven itself by this point. But the camera spiraling alone makes me angry. I get it, your holograms look dimensional!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Discover has a lot in it that works for me. If they could hold the camera still and get rid of the Empress and the Section 31 ship, it might even have proven itself by this point. But the camera spiraling alone makes me angry. I get it, your holograms look dimensional!

But how can you excite/entertain your audience without the camera looking like it was dropped in the back of a cement truck?!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The camera stuff doesn't bother me so much, but the constant blasting action soundtrack was getting to me a little today.

(I do like a lot of the soundtrack, though.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

This tracks because I tried and failed to like NuWho as well.

I think what makes it the same in my head is the super melodramatic stakes that both shows have almost every episode and then the technobabble way of fixing it.
Of course Star Trek always had technobabble, but it feels more obvious when it's saving the whole universe rather than just the ship. And when it's something different instead of variations on themes (deflector dish, etc). It's like there's rules they work within even if they're fake rules and Discovery (and NuWho) hasn't got those rules.

Also man careful with the Orville spoilers in here, it's not been on here yet!

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Cythereal posted:

The Gorn are in Star Trek Online, too, where they've been conquered by the Klingon Empire and are now a client state. Funny thing is, they're the Empire's designated science dudes - all the Gorn ships available to players are dedicated science vessels, and the KDF's default race for holograms is Gorn because they're the race in the Empire that generally cares about that stuff.

Well in Arena they did make Spock's Tricorder go boom..

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Taear posted:

I think what makes it the same in my head is the super melodramatic stakes that both shows have almost every episode and then the technobabble way of fixing it.
Of course Star Trek always had technobabble, but it feels more obvious when it's saving the whole universe rather than just the ship. And when it's something different instead of variations on themes (deflector dish, etc). It's like there's rules they work within even if they're fake rules and Discovery (and NuWho) hasn't got those rules.

Also man careful with the Orville spoilers in here, it's not been on here yet!

This is exactly it. I was a big fan of the old Doctor Who, and I tried so hard to like the new show that I actually lasted something like 5 seasons until I figured out I didn't owe it anything.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a trek reference in one of my dating profiles.
Sometimes I get compliments on it.
Sometimes I get a nice convo starter.

Today I got a 3 page caremad rant about Axanar.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Scudworth posted:

Well that's a red flag...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Scudworth posted:

Did you swipe right?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Scudworth posted:

So, when's the wedding?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Scudworth posted:

What’s his forum name lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everyone in these here forums knows Axanar and the people behind it are fucksticks

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So uh you matched with the guy who made Axanar, huh?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone in these here forums knows Axanar and the people behind it are fucksticks

And the good trek fan episodes main dude has been seriously milkshake duck'd as well. God drat it, trek fan community. It's sex pests and pedos and scammers all the way down.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
im a better person than my star trek posting suggests

i mean

you'd hope so right

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

And the good trek fan episodes main dude has been seriously milkshake duck'd as well. God drat it, trek fan community. It's sex pests and pedos and scammers all the way down.

Seriously I hate the Trek fandom so much, I used to be all 'aww you fuckin nerds missed the point' but they're so belligerent now it's unreal

I've half a mind to start my own lovely youtube channel so I can yell at/about these fuckers but then I'd probably get death threats sent to my house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

Seriously I hate the Trek fandom so much, I used to be all 'aww you fuckin nerds missed the point' but they're so belligerent now it's unreal

I've half a mind to start my own lovely youtube channel so I can yell at/about these fuckers but then I'd probably get death threats sent to my house

Trek fans have become such toxic pieces of poo poo in the last decade or so. And they were already pretty annoying online when VOY-ENT were airing. What broke us?