Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Risky Bisquick posted:

We are getting close to the no job cuts promise campaign rhetoric he doesn't remember saying that coming to a close. Ministry of Education is always the front line on austerity

No Cuts*

*Lots of attrition though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

yippee cahier posted:

gently caress. Glad I manually entered a $0 additional donation because it wasn’t a selectable option. “Our” website is the equivalent of change.org. I seriously won’t get something in the mail where I can vote internally? My gas station co-op is better than this.

Every few months you'll get a phone call where you can voice your opinions about why you're sitting on your wallet to a student hired for the latest fund raising blitz. It's something, I guess? :shrug:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
And random texts for rallies days before they occur. Not like I'm super dying to go to one, but if I did I need more advanced notice! Im an adult, I got career and domestic and dungeons & dragons responsibilities

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This is a fun little detail about the story that isn't getting reported enough:

The National Post posted:

The Harper government passed a measure 13 years ago to catch Liberal scandals. It worked perfectly

Literally, the first action of the new Conservative government in 2006 was to inaugurate an independent prosecutor's office to prevent future Sponsorship Scandals

As the Liberal government descends into full-blown crisis, Conservatives could take some satisfaction that this is all happening in part because of a long-ago measure they implemented precisely to catch Liberal scandals.

In 2006, one of the first actions of the new government of Stephen Harper was the Director of Public Prosecutions Act, a measure designed to prevent future occurrences of the Sponsorship Scandal. Now, that act is at the centre of events apparently showing an attempt by the government of Justin Trudeau to halt a criminal prosecution for political reasons.

“Gerry (Gerald Butts, former principal secretary to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau) talked to me about how the statute was set up by Harper (and) that he does not like the law,” former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould said in Wednesday testimony before the House of Commons justice committee.

“I said something like ‘That is the law we have.’”

Wilson-Raybould said she was subjected to “hounding” and then ultimately shuffled out of her job as Attorney General because she failed to stop a criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin, a Montreal construction and engineering firm accused of bribing the government of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

Specifically, Wilson-Raybould refused to overrule the Director of Public Prosecutions, an independent office created by the 2006 act in order to prevent political interference in criminal prosecutions.

Previously, Canadian attorneys general had full discretion over which criminal cases were pursued and which were abandoned. Since the Attorney General is also a sitting cabinet member, the door was left open for easy – and quiet – political meddling in the judicial process.

The 2006 act created an independent prosecution service shielded from interference. The Attorney General can still overrule the director, but any such decision has to be publicly announced.

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1100971467301253120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wilson-Raybould has done this in other cases, such as in November when she advised prosecutors to drop criminal charges in certain cases of people having sex without informing their partners of their HIV positive status. In the case of SNC-Lavalin, Wilson-Raybould decided it was “not appropriate” to overrule the director despite repeated requests to do so.

“I explained to (Trudeau) the law and what I have the ability to do and not do under the Director of Public Prosecutions Act,” Wilson-Raybould said Wednesday. “I told him that I had done my due diligence and made up my mind … that I was not going to interfere with the decision of the (director of public prosecution).”

The act was a direct response to the Sponsorship Scandal, an eight-year program in which federal monies were funnelled to Liberal-aligned contractors in exchange for little to no work. Ostensibly, the cash was being used to fund advertising in Quebec to promote the benefits of Canada and dissuade separatist sentiments.

Adding to the scandal was the sense that political interference had hampered the prosecution of those responsible. An independent prosecution service was suggested as a way to ward off future scandals.

“The reason (the Director of Public Prosecutions Act) was proposed in the last election — and I’m not afraid to say it — is that a lot of people were confused about the fact that a number of advertising agencies were pursued with legal action when one organization, which was clearly at the centre of the same scandal and benefited directly from it without any question whatsoever … was not,” Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre said in 2006.

The Sponsorship Scandal had a major role in the 2006 victory of a Conservative minority government, particularly given the Tories’ campaign promise to clean up political corruption. “Bend the rules, you will be punished; break the law, you will be charged; abuse the public trust, you will go to prison,” Stephen Harper said at the time.

Thanks Steve!

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

It's all just whispers right now but they seem to have already pulled funding for trans surgery.

I can't find any sources on this, where are you hearing it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cat Wings posted:

I can't find any sources on this, where are you hearing it?

That’s what I mean by all whispers. In our Ontario trans community circles, no one seems to have received approval from OHIP for surgery since October. It’s nothing official, nothing picked up by the press, but it is something we’ve noticed from talking among ourselves.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

That’s what I mean by all whispers. In our Ontario trans community circles, no one seems to have received approval from OHIP for surgery since October. It’s nothing official, nothing picked up by the press, but it is something we’ve noticed from talking among ourselves.

Well gently caress.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Helsing posted:

This is a fun little detail about the story that isn't getting reported enough:

Thanks Steve!

gently caress sakes so it's a trap they knew was there but they couldn't help themselves.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

gently caress sakes so it's a trap they knew was there but they couldn't help themselves.

Them sweet sweet Quebec seats man.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

supersnowman posted:

Them sweet sweet Quebec seats man.

I don't for a second believe that's what motivated it. SNC going down for loving up with their bribery wouldn't have been hung on the Liberals, who would spin that in a way that doesn't immediately reflect badly back? No, this is Butts, Morneau and probably big T himself all being part of the money havers club and knowing SNC stockholders and execs.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Note quite. The Act governs the relationship between the Attorney General and the Public Prosecution Service. Whereas this scandal relates to the interaction between the Attorney General/Minister of Justice and Cabinet.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia posted:

I wonder if it isn't just the bean counters being preemptively scared about smaller budgets. I haven't heard Ford talk about trans people period (support or hatred) . But I know a few different government agencies are freezing hiring because they are scared about cuts coming, even though technically they don't have to pause hiring immediately.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Maneck posted:

Note quite. The Act governs the relationship between the Attorney General and the Public Prosecution Service. Whereas this scandal relates to the interaction between the Attorney General/Minister of Justice and Cabinet.

The interaction was them trying to induce the AG to violate the Act, just because she refused doesn't absolve them of obstruction charges.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

zapplez posted:

I wonder if it isn't just the bean counters being preemptively scared about smaller budgets. I haven't heard Ford talk about trans people period (support or hatred) .

Please.

Minorities of any kind are always the first victim of conservative policies, whether from the blatant hostility of social conservatives or the thin veneer of fiscal responsibility of fiscal conservatives. The immediate cancellation of the sex ed curriculum said all there is to say about the OPC's agenda. They'll try to hide it behind "not enough taxpayer dollars for those expensive surgeries!" when we all know they really mean "my Catholic sensibilities cannot stand those morally corrupt trannies!".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jan posted:

Please.

Minorities of any kind are always the first victim of conservative policies, whether from the blatant hostility of social conservatives or the thin veneer of fiscal responsibility of fiscal conservatives. The immediate cancellation of the sex ed curriculum said all there is to say about the OPC's agenda. They'll try to hide it behind "not enough taxpayer dollars for those expensive surgeries!" when we all know they really mean "my Catholic sensibilities cannot stand those morally corrupt trannies!".

Well not always, often the conservatives micro-target specific minorities to let them know they'll be specifically loving over those OTHER minorities. Like throwing trans and gay folk under the bus to make chinese and other conservative minority groups happy.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
https://twitter.com/georgiastraight/status/1101546446745227264?s=19

May is looking very competent this week, Scheer (and Singh) should've been smart enough to identify Wernick as the correct next domino that needs to fall.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Scheer is too busy calling for Trudeau to resign, Singh is doing the right thing and asking for a full inquiry.

Trudeau is still busy trying to close the DPA for SNC-Lavalin still

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Scheer is too busy calling for Trudeau to resign, Singh is doing the right thing and asking for a full inquiry.

Inquiries are pointless theatre

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

Inquiry is better, keeps it in the news for way longer. Resignation gets you dalton mcguinty oh god don't let kathleen wynne enter federal politics

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

This thing will eventually end up with an inquiry, but not until the Liberals try and line up an army of op-eds to sell the risible claim that the ethics watch dog is the appropriate avenue of investigation.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

CTV reporting Nathan Cullen isn't seeking re-election :smith:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Welp. Hiring freeze in education ahead of new contract negotiations. Hope y'all child havers are ready for some labour action.

I'll be out there marching with them.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

DynamicSloth posted:

https://twitter.com/georgiastraight/status/1101546446745227264?s=19

May is looking very competent this week, Scheer (and Singh) should've been smart enough to identify Wernick as the correct next domino that needs to fall.

oh yeah, there were like 3 goon idiots in here defending that guy just a few days ago remember that lmao

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Inquiries are pointless theatre

Those are good in election years

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Okay, so I live in Saskatoon and Brad Wall’s 2017 budget hosed around with everything. Like our public libraries. HE hosed EVERYTHING ALL UP and this matters because libraries own, their unions own, they get all the best movies and books. But what more can you expect from Brad “Grant Devine was my finance Buddha” Wall?

A reporter once asked me how the city could resolve our transit system problems. I mentioned some policy options, including taxation, and know what happened? I ended up on the radio and everything I said was mentioned. Except taxing rich people, of course they excluded it.

What I’m trying to say is some of you terrible posters deserve to live in Saskatoon, but under no circumstances should any SK conservative be elected to any political office or hold any power whatsoever.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I just had to explain marginal tax rates to a man who describes himself as a single issue voter for "fiscal responsibility".
I was literally laughing my rear end off about how people complain about getting too large a raise, when he piped up in the smallest voice "wait... You don't get taxed the higher rate on your entire income?"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Math You posted:

I just had to explain marginal tax rates to a man who describes himself as a single issue voter for "fiscal responsibility".
I was literally laughing my rear end off about how people complain about getting too large a raise, when he piped up in the smallest voice "wait... You don't get taxed the higher rate on your entire income?"

In his defense, for generations Conservatives and many Liberals have been outright lying about this. I’d be surprised if 50% of Canadians understand they only get taxed the higher rate for the amount in the higher bracket.

It’s dumb as hell, but a kind of dumb actively cultivated by two major political parties.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

In his defense, for generations Conservatives and many Liberals have been outright lying about this. I’d be surprised if 50% of Canadians understand they only get taxed the higher rate for the amount in the higher bracket.

It’s dumb as hell, but a kind of dumb actively cultivated by two major political parties.

Yeah this is how it was explained to me when I was a kid as well and for a long time I had no reason to question it because why would I? That's how everyone else seems to think it works.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

vyelkin posted:

The "but fringe wackos will be represented in Parliament!" line is what PR's opponents use to demonize it. And, as you say, it's actually a terrible attack if you think about it for more than two seconds and realize just how many examples we have of the fringe wackos taking over a big tent party and the rest of the big tent holding their nose and electing a lunatic to be the leader of a country or province.

How is it a terrible attack when the current state of the Bundestag proves the truth of that argument? Close to a quarter of the house is fringe wackos, it took the non-crazy parties five months to form a government, and perfectly reasonable and competent chancellor had to fall on her sword for no good reason. The Knesset is in even worse shape and has been for longer.

Drewjitsu posted:

Who the gently caress advocates for PR in this fashion? That's usually the detractors (read: cons) who use that as a bludgeon to shut down discussion on PR, and keep the quiet part of "fringe elements are already in the party," quiet.

The one advantage, if you want to call it that, would be that you'd find out how many people really want to vote for Bernier but will hold their noses and vote for Scheer. The bad news is that they will actually do it. It might end up with Bernier extracting huge concessions from a larger party to stop him from bringing the government down, but that's just a risk we'll have to take, right?

vyelkin posted:

Or, in other words, if you voted conservative your vote was worth about 2/3 of a Liberal vote. If you voted NDP, your vote was worth about half a Liberal vote. If you voted for the Bloc, your vote was worth less than half a Liberal vote. And if you were unfortunate enough to vote for the Greens, your vote was worth about 6% of a Liberal vote. So on a national scale, if you and 16 of your friends all joined forces and voted for the Greens, you got cancelled out by one person voting Liberal.

Usually, your analysis is pretty considered, but this here is some Monsef-level arithmetic.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you want your vote to count the most, vote Liberal.

Checks out.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this is how it was explained to me when I was a kid as well and for a long time I had no reason to question it because why would I? That's how everyone else seems to think it works.

Because most Canadians are too loving dumb to do a single cross multiplication, let alone a series of them summed together.

Cognitive bias, the simple scary thing you can understand but is completely false seems more likely than the slightly more complicated considerably less scary thing that is true. Also why all these fake news outlets are thriving.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Thats not exactly what it means. It means that every vote you put towards a seat that doesn't 'win' is lost in our system and doesn't affect the rest of the election.

With FTP it's like if we had 100 ridings with 51 votes to win in each. If liberals won 100% of the ridings with 51 votes in each, they would appear to have 100% of the country's support with 100% liberal seats, but the total votes they would have would only be 51%, with 5,100 out of 10,000.

The other 4,900 votes don't result in any seats, and don't result in any political power.

This is an extreme example but it shows how lots of people can vote for a party across many ridings (like the greens) but win very little political power because their votes aren't located in a single particular place.

I'm sorry if you two were being ironic or something, but that's what people mean when they say the vote is 'worth less', because with FPT this kind of thing happens.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Gonna guess it was a crack about that "natural ruling party" bullshit arrogant Libs like to spout.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Arabian Jesus posted:

CTV reporting Nathan Cullen isn't seeking re-election :smith:

Awful news for the NDP, because BC is their base of support now and Skeena isn't a guaranteed hold if Cullen's not running there. Murray Rankin's not running in Victoria either, and that's an easier seat to hold (unless the Greens run hard and the NDP puts up a weak candidate). It's not encouraging if the five or six safe MPs Jagmeet has left don't want to run anymore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Won't really be sad at the loss of Murray Rankin. He was one of the most outspoken zionists within the NDP and did everything he could to block anything that might aid Palestine in any way. Laurel Collins is poised to run and if I recall she's quite involved with the local BDS movement which would be quite the change.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Math You posted:

Hell, my high school civics / finance teacher taught us the wrong way about tax and he was a literal card carrying commie.

Most people get this stuff very wrong.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/stephenlautens/status/1101702618206822400?s=19

Jagmeet what are you doing

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Holding a manifestly corrupt government to account, did you not see JWR's testimony?

Scheer calling for Trudeau's resignation so quickly was a dumb tactic (as probably is this), but it wasn't wrong substantively.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

Holding a manifestly corrupt government to account, did you not see JWR's testimony?

Scheer calling for Trudeau's resignation so quickly was a dumb tactic (as probably is this), but it wasn't wrong substantively.

Jagmeet believes the system works. What a rube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

MikeSevigny posted:

Awful news for the NDP, because BC is their base of support now and Skeena isn't a guaranteed hold if Cullen's not running there. Murray Rankin's not running in Victoria either, and that's an easier seat to hold (unless the Greens run hard and the NDP puts up a weak candidate). It's not encouraging if the five or six safe MPs Jagmeet has left don't want to run anymore.

it kind of seems like they're fleeing a sinking ship doesnt it

since jagmeet became leader their fundraising has also completely tanked and apparently they took out a huge $10 million mortgage on their headquarters