Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That was a hell of a thing Takuan. Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

remusclaw posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tyler Breeze was on chat for a recent nL stream. I noticed it on the Highlights vid of the stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nln26LQnkAM He only shows up for the first four minutes but has an incredible moment

He hears them talk about the Big Bossman/Taker HIAC match and responds "U imagine. We have a cage match and just hang me from the cage. The company would shut down these days." "Well I keep getting booked against Mojo...Same thing."

Takuan
May 6, 2007

remusclaw posted:

I know I said it to death in the stream, but thanks so much for coming along on the ride with me!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i started out with a small roster of 6, accidentally booked myself into a corner, decided to give two freelancers a tryout opening match and they both no-showed, resulting in my attendance tanking and losing a ton of money. eventually by august i was able to figure out how to manage my cards and keep my main eventers over, and started profiting 50k to 120k a show, finishing with a balance of 540k by january. my champion is cesaro and he's super over in usa and europe.

I think this is the kind of thing that bugs me the most about how Fire Promoter is designed. There are too many things that can randomly gently caress you over and there's nothing you can do about it. Somebody decides to no-show? Your attendance craters and you can't book a replacement, or re-arrange the card. Trying to sign the one guy you're allowed to per month? gently caress you, he said no and you have no way of knowing why. Better luck next month. BTW, he's keeping the $10,000 just for the privilege of talking to him.

It all feels opaque and arbitrary and frustrating.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

I know I said it to death in the stream, but thanks so much for coming along on the ride with me!

I think this is the kind of thing that bugs me the most about how Fire Promoter is designed. There are too many things that can randomly gently caress you over and there's nothing you can do about it. Somebody decides to no-show? Your attendance craters and you can't book a replacement, or re-arrange the card. Trying to sign the one guy you're allowed to per month? gently caress you, he said no and you have no way of knowing why. Better luck next month. BTW, he's keeping the $10,000 just for the privilege of talking to him.

It all feels opaque and arbitrary and frustrating.

Yeah that's also a problem. You should be able to do something to fix problems caused by wrestlers no-showing.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Hopefully Carl can mod in millions of dollars to start so we can Tony Khan this bitch

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Fire Promoter owns, and nL starting off with Gangrel and Ralphus no-showing the first show and loving over the main event was so good. Would be cool if some QoL features and extra options were added, but it's honestly fine as it is (minus the non-translated things, those should be fixed).

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 1, 2019

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im going to sink ungodly hours into this thing. the only suggestion i have is to create a promotion beforehand with a ton of wrestlers to dump into free agency.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I feel like the most fun will be had with Customize Promotion and just using all the guys I have already.

Wonder how long it'll take for people to mod this.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

It was my only time watching one of those and it was really fun, thanks

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
A fine ending, and I eagerly await whatever's next.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so i decided to see what happens if you try to be an abject failure and bankrupt yourself in this mode. what happens is dark as heck shady looking gangsters wearing black show up at your condo and make you go with them into a van and the next image is just bubbles on the surface of the sea, implying you were murdered by the yakuza for blowing their investments

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

so i decided to see what happens if you try to be an abject failure and bankrupt yourself in this mode. what happens is dark as heck shady looking gangsters wearing black show up at your condo and make you go with them into a van and the next image is just bubbles on the surface of the sea, implying you were murdered by the yakuza for blowing their investments

Holy poo poo lmao

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

So they got Suda 51 back then?

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Fire Promoter needs to do the following three things immediately:
-Drop in price to something reasonable (half of base game)
-Fix translation and game mechanic bugs
-Have a random chance of your most over heel stable pulling a Voodoo Murders, forcing a disbandment and stepping down as President / GM.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I saw someone go bankrupt in month 1 on a stream. It wasn't quite that dramatic.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

So is there a way to replace all the FP default promotions/caws with your own? I tried changing some but it froze the whole game.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Takuan posted:

I saw someone go bankrupt in month 1 on a stream. It wasn't quite that dramatic.
they did it wrong

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I really hope this is true.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

one thing that is definitely true is that japanese companies love to portray the yakuza in a negative/nefarious light, all of the time. They like to holler™, "lmao, yaukza, you're bad folks!" from the rooftops and good things tend to happen afterward

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Maybe there are different endings depending on how bankrupt you go. I might test it out later.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Budget Dracula posted:

So is there a way to replace all the FP default promotions/caws with your own? I tried changing some but it froze the whole game.

From what I've been hearing, there's a bug that will crash Promoter mode if any of the characters have a Country of Origin from the expanded countries list that added around the time of the NJPW DLC.

Apparently they didn't bother testing to see if stuff from their first DLC would work with their 2nd DLC.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So I loan out Captain Marvel for a show and she comes back as one half of the tag team champions. Good work, Danvers.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

nL uploaded their first attempt at the mode on its release day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8HJ-M4kMv4

Godfather's two hoes have the most cheated match in history, including one pulling out a chair, faking getting hit by it and complaining to the ref, then immediately doing the whole act again with a separate chair after the first one is removed from the ring
The Show With 45 Fans and 3 Matches because all of their unsigned talent weren't booked after Ralphus no-showed at the last second for the second event in a row
New regular guest Tyler Breeze showed up in the Twitch stream chat during the last 10-15 minutes just in time for their last show before bankruptcy
Said last show had Rosemary win the world title over Steve Blackman, and the final match ever was Daryl defeating Kane in a deathmatch in the company's second-highest rated match ever

This mode looks very good and fun/funny and I can't wait to experiment with it this weekend when I get back home

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
And in the following video/rest of the stream Johnny ends up getting really into Fire Promoter and does an entire year while having slip run the numbers from a pile of broken chair parts. I highly recommend the serious playthrough, almost more than the jokey/bullshitty one, because a really good throughline is just how into it they get as they try and make the shows work while terrified they will end up in a death spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBcUbsfplZk&t=12267s

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The original characters made for the mode are also a lot of fun if you don't want to use created ones. Matt Robinson is gonna be a star someday.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

PunkBoy posted:

The original characters made for the mode are also a lot of fun if you don't want to use created ones. Matt Robinson is gonna be a star someday.

There's a guy in the mix with the nickname "Hell Clown".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2341965&postcount=28

quote:

#26: Pushes & perception

One of the reasons I pulled the code apart and rebuilt it was to allow a rethink of some areas, particularly as some features had been in from the very earliest days of the game (and even back to EWR) simply because "that's how they've always been". Today we'll be looking at one of those fundamental changes.

In the past, pushes have always been done by picking your desired choice from a list, telling the game how you want the worker to be perceived. This was a system that worked fine, but it was very much a game-y feature rather than being realistic.

For TEW2020, we're ripping that system up and going with something far more natural.

So, first off, picking pushes from a list is totally gone, as are any related systems (such as auto pushing, complaints about being at the wrong push level, etc). Instead, you will now see a Perception level for each worker.

The Perception level, which ranges from Major Star down to Unknown, is how the fans see the worker. It is based on the worker's popularity and current momentum in comparison to the company's popularity. Unlike the old push system, this is not something you can directly edit, but is instead sensitive to how you actually use someone - so if you want to take an Unknown guy and make him into a Major Star you can't just pick it from a list, you need to book him strongly and get him over with the fans.

Because momentum plays a key part in how a worker is perceived this makes Perception far more volatile than pushes, so a worker can get hot and jump up a level or two and then go back down as he cools. This makes the roster more dynamic.

Of course, one major advantage of this new system is that it opens up the opportunity for fans to simply not take to a worker (or conversely to latch on to someone you weren't counting on) much more than in previous games - although you can of course try and book your way around any unexpected result.

Looking at the Perception gives the user a clear view of what effect that worker is having. A Major Star is somebody who you know is going to "move the needle" when it comes to attendances and ratings, whereas your Unknowns, however talented they may be, simply haven't connected with the fan base yet. This makes it more intuitive for users to get a feel for their roster.

Perception applies to everyone on the roster, which has the added advantage that it allows any divisions to be automatically taken into account - for example, unlike previous games where a women's division was a single push, in TEW2020 you could have a whole range of different Perceptions within the women.

Unlike the push system, Perceptions are absolute. That is, how the worker is perceived is not calculated in relation to the rest of the roster. This means that unlike previous games you don't have to have a certain roster "shape" - you could have an entire roster of Major Stars, or only Major Stars and Unknowns and nobody in between. This makes things considerably easier for database makers to put workers in their "correct" place on the roster without needing to fudge values.

It should be noted that although workers do take into account Perceptions when making decisions, they also still know their popularity too. So if you have one worker who is 10 popularity across the US and one who is 40 popularity, both working for a company that is 80 popularity, both would probably be Unknown to the fans but the second worker would still "know" that he's significantly higher up the food chain. So although Perceptions flattens out the roster in terms of the number of tiers, it doesn't make the game less detailed or nuanced.

So, overall, this makes the game more realistic both in terms of how booking impacts workers and how momentum affects the fans' view, removes a lot of annoyances regarding the necessity of auto-pushing and dealing with push-based complaints, takes away a lot of clicking and general admin work from the user due to the feature's automatic nature, makes database creation significantly easier, and allows women's division (and non-wrestlers) to be better integrated into the roster.
:stare: TEW2020 sounds real good

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
x-post

shiksa posted:

argh the fuckin fire promoter thing is telling me i need to have dlc to use my saved game, how does that even make sense, how would i have characters that require dlc without having the dlc

anyone have any thoughts?

do i have a minefield of old downloaded characters that now use njpw dlc content?

ill get it if i have to, i was able to start a game and it was very very much insanely my poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As usual the next version of TEW gradually sounds more and more awesome in small ways so that I know I'll buy it upon release and the game I'm spending so much time and energy playing now will be discarded and I'll spend the first weeks/months of the game tinkering with the broken database I try and convert over.

TEW is undeniably the nerdiest thing about me since I got excited that baseball video games were adding a Rule 5 draft and service time.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

shiksa posted:

anyone have any thoughts?

The Carnies created a mode.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

STAC Goat posted:

As usual the next version of TEW gradually sounds more and more awesome in small ways so that I know I'll buy it upon release and the game I'm spending so much time and energy playing now will be discarded and I'll spend the first weeks/months of the game tinkering with the broken database I try and convert over.

TEW is undeniably the nerdiest thing about me since I got excited that baseball video games were adding a Rule 5 draft and service time.

The sheer amount of time I put into any TEW makes it the best value for me in gaming

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I never question the purchase. I always get my money's worth in no time at all. Its always just the time I waste when I realize I could be playing a better version of the game I'm playing now. Because there's absolutely no question I'm upgrading as soon as possible.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

rovert posted:

The Carnies created a mode.

thank you rovert this is very helpful

well... i bought the dlc and it works. look at that. guess i coulda played with the default characters but no

gently caress it, whatever, i'm a mark and i have to have it and im not going to comb through the files to make it work. i'll do the romance substories in the visual novel or w/e eventually.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 2, 2019

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

on cclub someone noted there is a cheat to expand the starting roster from six, hold L1+L2 when you select the difficulty. i had to connect my ps4 controller to my pc to make it work, it also gives you slight money boost to 10 mil vs the default 200k

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

with a roster of 16 and in year 2 of my promotion i figure its probably time to create a championship. i go and book a tournament, i have a collection of guys from indies/wwe/video game characters etc like any firepro player does. but i want this championship to mean something so i kinda looked at my roster and asked who are the best of the best here who are my best 8 who should be considered to carry the belt, its important. i settled on a tournament of 8 consisting of 7 i considered good enough which were (mind you im going with modern talent) roman reigns/john cena/randall k. orton/mike haggar/jeff cobb/ZSJ/LA Park. i needed to fill an eighth spot and wanted to off set the big people so i threw in candice lerae since shes over. she actually made it to the finals before losing to roman. its too bad there isnt really a way to track feuds as a way to increase wrestler overness because it feels like a natural starbuilding moment to go from here.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m curious as to whether “destiny” will still be a thing in TEW2020. It sounds like there are still soft caps to popularity, if popularity has a one-to-one relationship with Perception as insinuated.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Ran into a weird bug in Fire Promoter where all the pictures used in the different menus are missing. It's not that big of a deal, but it also apparently affects the snapshots of the other promotions' matches in the monthly summary, which is lame. :(

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Ran into a weird bug in Fire Promoter where all the pictures used in the different menus are missing. It's not that big of a deal, but it also apparently affects the snapshots of the other promotions' matches in the monthly summary, which is lame. :(

nL talked about it/experienced it yesterday when their promotion went to its second year, apparently it's a Year 2 glitch. Hopefully it gets fixed, as is there are no promotional pictures at all for at least that entire year, if not going forward into year 3 and on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I hope with the perception change thing in TEW, we get to see things like successful gimmick/alignment changes make a much more immediate, significant impact on how a worker is pushed/portrayed/perceived.

It always kind of bothered me when I'd assign a worker a new gimmick, they'd be rated as "Legendary", and it didn't seem to actually impact anything whatsoever. I feel like a person debuting a supposedly "Legendary" gimmick would get some serious, immediate crowd momentum, and a system like what Ryland's saying is in the new game is probably the best way to actually portray something like that. Same with if you do a turn and it's rated a "Complete success" vs a turn and it doesn't go over very well *coughdeanambrosecough*