Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HD DAD posted:

Trek fans have become such toxic pieces of poo poo in the last decade or so. And they were already pretty annoying online when VOY-ENT were airing. What broke us?

Everyone is toxic and lovely now. Literal Nazis are a thing again. I know the pendulum swings back and forth, but this time it managed to swing straight into an open septic tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
actually all the nice trek fans went to tumblr. don't go there you'll gently caress it up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
We’re like the cynical but mostly good natured trek fans. The buffer zone before the ocean of poo poo that is twitter and YouTube

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

Seriously I hate the Trek fandom so much, I used to be all 'aww you fuckin nerds missed the point' but they're so belligerent now it's unreal

I've half a mind to start my own lovely youtube channel so I can yell at/about these fuckers but then I'd probably get death threats sent to my house

Once in a great while I’ll decide to beat my head against the wall and comment about the toxic fans on articles posted by the Star Trek Facebook page. Without fail, no matter how caustic my comment is, it’s completely ignored until my sister joins in and then promptly receives half a dozen death threats in her Messenger.

Nerd fandoms have rarely ever been kind or welcoming to women but it’s at an all time low these last few years. gently caress fandoms.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Apparently cast breakdowns for the Picard Show is out.

Edit: Nevermind, the source doesn't seem that solid, and there's no confirmation from other outlets.

E2: Here it is anyway, for those curious.

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2019/03/01/picard-series-character-update/

I'm not finding anything particularly clickbaity on the website, but it's still an obscure outlet.

xerxus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 2, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ugh, smart but socially inept early 20s characters are getting so cliched and overused

Why is K'Bar intensely loyal to Picard? BECAUSE SHE IS THE DAUGHTER OF HIM GENETICALLY, SHE IS THE DAUGHTER OF THE PICARD CLONE FROM NEMESIS

would be my guess

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 2, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

Trek fans have become such toxic pieces of poo poo in the last decade or so. And they were already pretty annoying online when VOY-ENT were airing. What broke us?

VOY and ENT

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

VOY and ENT

beat me to it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm all for blaming things on Voyager, but it's just poo poo everywhere all the time without end. Thanks to the internet and social media everyone lives in their own personal bubble and everyone who isn't in that bubble is a fuckstick piece of sub human nazi trash. Also every single thing that happens in a show, every casting decision, every phrase uttered, is a political statement. And god help you if you aren't perfectly aligned to my politics because that means it's death threat time. The only way a "fandom" can not be utter toxic garbage is if it's so nascent that it's a stretch to even call it a fandom.

In conclusion, the Kaylon were right.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually the fandom can be super fun elsewhere and actually really nice

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The first character listed in that article sounds like Literally Barclay Again

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the commodification of entertainment radicalizes fan(atic)s

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

YOU

I WANNA TAKE YOU TO A K'BAR

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Star Trek Shitposting on Facebook is maybe the best Trek community I’ve found, oddly enough.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Worf is a good character, and is good and interesting in TNG.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I hope K'bar is a sentient knife.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Is it "Kay Bar" or "Kuh Bar"?

Also here's hoping Dr. Smith is a version of The Doctor from Voyager so we can finally get the Picard/Picardo teamup after all these years. :allears:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm hoping Dr. Smith is the Lost in Space character.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s Will Smith, as himself, resurrected in the far future as a medical hologram

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Epicurius posted:

I'm hoping Dr. Smith is the Lost in Space character.

Gary Oldman comes to television at last.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

HD DAD posted:

I think it has to do with STEM supremacy, underappreciation for how hard it can be for someone from an impoverished or broken home to do well or even want to do well at school when immediate problems seem like a greater priority, and only watching the show for weekly space adventures while filling in their own political beliefs about how the utopia came about (e.g. through capitalism, Silicon Valley technocracy, and people finally realizing that productivity and efficiency are king). It also has to do with how boomer Trump supporters latch onto every rare occasion that a celebrity rants about political correctness and how Shatner got angry at the young people that one time.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Gary Oldman comes to television at last.

Holding out for a CGI Jonathan Harris.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i like that they are addressing how all their holograms go sentient and am also predicting that the hologram specifically designed not go sentient will go sentient.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HD DAD posted:

It’s Will Smith, as himself, resurrected in the far future as a medical hologram

"Whoa, hold up. Is this the future? Tight. But I'm going to need to know where I can get one of them uniforms."

*Long shot of Will Smith in uniform and sunglasses, strutting down a corridor while "That's the Way (I Like It)" plays*

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pick posted:

Actually the fandom can be super fun elsewhere and actually really nice
honestly yeah Tumblr Trek is just people who fuckin love these star trucks and want everyone to have a good time

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

About the only Star Trek I follow outside this thread is the @SwearTrek twitter account :shrug:

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 2, 2019

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't engage with Star Trevor people in any way, outside of this thread. And my brother. And one of my friends, who might be the only person around that dislikes TOS, TNG, VOY, Ent, and the movies but loves DS9.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drone posted:

About the only Star Trek I follow outside this thread is the @SwearTrek twitter account :shrug:

This and reddit is all I see Star Trek wise and if anything reddit seems TOO positive and is really boring because of that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have one IRL friend (also a goon) who is a hardcore trekkie, but other than that, it’s here, reddit, and once in a blue moon the trek shitposting facebook page

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I just want a group to play the Star Trek Adventures RPG with :<

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

HD DAD posted:

We’re like the cynical but mostly good natured trek fans. The buffer zone before the ocean of poo poo that is twitter and YouTube

The SA userbase generally understands that you can mock and criticize something and also still kind of like it, which puts the people here way ahead of most nerds when it comes to artistic theory and cultural interactions.

Drone posted:

We only play Star Fleet Battles here.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Drone posted:

I just finished the first “season” of a game with some friends and ran an impromptu game at a charity gaming event last weekend because some folks showed up late and there was no other space for them.

I like it a lot and would play more, but the weather getting somewhat nice means my friends are basically impossible to get into a room all at the same time until it starts raining again this fall.

I know there’s a few games in Portland, OR going and I’ve seen a Facebook group talking about organizing some games via Skype. Good luck’

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonight I watched the episode where Wesley gets a boner for a beam of light that can turn into a furry.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

He's a teenaged boy. Of course he gets boners over anything.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watching Disco on Netflix got me into the mood to revisit TNG and DS9 again. Bunch of years ago I tried watching all of TNG, but got burned out. I'm occasionally skipping an episode now.

Reading up on Encounter at Farpoint's production explains so much. It would've made much more sense to start with Riker's perspective, getting to know each crew member that way, but they kept going back and forth on the length of the episode(s) and ended up having to write in the weirdly high octane Q intro. Before you know this crew and ship, they're having to go BEYOND SAFE WARP LIMITS, separate the saucer section, go to da battle bridge. Funny.

Poor Troi cries like 5 times in just the first episode and her skirt's so short I was almost too distracted from her sitting down at the trial to notice O'Brien's the only one mysteriously not selected to attend. Tasha's impassioned speech also really does not work when you're still just getting to know these characters and this universe.

Watching DS9 again is like lowering into a warm bath. I'm not even bothered by it not being HD, though on TNG that provides the extra amusement of picking out the obvious stuntmen during fight scenes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

davidspackage posted:

Watching DS9 again is like lowering into a warm bath.

DS9 is pure comfort food for me when life is extra lovely.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Troi's uniform skirt wasn't great but it looked way better than the purple outfit.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
They were obviously trying to give Troi sexy uniforms, but none of them did a thing for her. It's not just that she looks more professional in a regular uniform, she looks much more attractive too. It's baffling it took so long before they realized that.

(It doesn't help, of course, that so many of Troi's early hairstyles are... less than flattering.)

Angry Salami fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 3, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Angry Salami posted:

(It doesn't help, of course, that so many of Troi's early hairstyles are... less than flattering.)

'80s hair, man. Perms were all the rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

davidspackage posted:

Watching Disco on Netflix got me into the mood to revisit TNG and DS9 again. Bunch of years ago I tried watching all of TNG, but got burned out. I'm occasionally skipping an episode now.

Reading up on Encounter at Farpoint's production explains so much. It would've made much more sense to start with Riker's perspective, getting to know each crew member that way, but they kept going back and forth on the length of the episode(s) and ended up having to write in the weirdly high octane Q intro. Before you know this crew and ship, they're having to go BEYOND SAFE WARP LIMITS, separate the saucer section, go to da battle bridge. Funny.

Poor Troi cries like 5 times in just the first episode and her skirt's so short I was almost too distracted from her sitting down at the trial to notice O'Brien's the only one mysteriously not selected to attend. Tasha's impassioned speech also really does not work when you're still just getting to know these characters and this universe.

Watching DS9 again is like lowering into a warm bath. I'm not even bothered by it not being HD, though on TNG that provides the extra amusement of picking out the obvious stuntmen during fight scenes.

O'Brien isn't even named in that episode, he's just "Conn Officer"