Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KennyMan666 posted:

Lovecraft actually didn't like how Herbert West came out himself, but had to write it that way since it was being serialized in a monthly magazine when originally published and he was required to end each chapter with a cliffhanger. He only wrote it since he was being paid five bucks per chapter and was unhappy with the whole story, so he'd agree with you there.

I did borrow and read a Lovecraft anthology from a classmate a couple years back, and I remember mostly liking it? Like, nothing I'd call among my favourite books/stories and some things were kind of uncomfortable to read these days but it still felt worth reading.

The Dunwich Horror was pretty good, but other than that I came away seeing why other writers like the Cthulu mythos: there are some really interesting ideas waiting to be properly explored. Or possibly Lovecraft just isn't for me. I've read worse books. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

The Dunwich Horror was pretty good, but other than that I came away seeing why other writers like the Cthulu mythos: there are some really interesting ideas waiting to be properly explored. Or possibly Lovecraft just isn't for me. I've read worse books. :shrug:

It's very possible that Lovecraft just isn't for you which is fine. Really though only a few of his stories are actually really, really good. A lot of his work is mediocre to bad he just gets remembered for the few that knocked it out of the park in ways that had never really been done before.

Plus he, you know, came up with Cthulhu and everybody knows about Cthulhu.

Other writers haven't done much with it because it's hard to really do cosmic horror properly. Cthulhu in particular isn't scary because of what he is but rather what he represents. Cosmic horror is supposed to confront you with how empty and uncaring the universe is and how tiny and fragile not only you are but the entire human race. It's basically existential dread turned into fiction.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Can we move lovecraft chat somewhere else and post comics instead?
like this:

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
The Haunter of the Dark, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath stuck with me the most out of his stories, probably because they remind me of :bloodborne: so much.

e:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Push El Burrito posted:

I hated when Lovecraft revealed years later that Cthulhu actually shat his pants and used space magic to make it disappear.

Great Cthulhu, shidding and farding and cameing in his pants, lies dead and dreaming in Ry'leh.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cl'Ryeh.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
This is the HONK that ends the world.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sleve McDichael posted:

The Haunter of the Dark, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath stuck with me the most out of his stories, probably because they remind me of :bloodborne: so much.

e:

I want to like this but I really hate that last panel

e: the one before it ain't great either

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Here's a gif with a positively lovecraftian ending.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

burexas.irom posted:

Yeah that's basically the plot of Medusa's Coil, possibly Lovecraft's most racist story

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

burexas.irom posted:

I'm told the dude in the mask is actually a celebrity in Korea and that's why the lady was surprised.

If that's not true then just let me believe it is.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Because we literally can't stop talking about Lovecraft, I'll recommend Alan Moore's Providence, which is basically a love letter to the mythos. It was one of my favorite comics from the last several years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Check out Argentine artist Alberto Breccia's Los mitos de Cthulhu (1973, with Norberto Buscaglia)

it completely owns as do all his works, here's the opening page from Perramus (1984, with Juan Sasturain):

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just discovered there's a comic adaptation of Gaiman's A Study in Emerald. Anyone read it? I've read the original short story, does the comic add anything?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HaB posted:

They are going to gently caress up that movie so bad it won't even be recognizable as the same story.

Think about it: HOLLYWOOD is going to try and make a movie from a story in which there is no tangible antagonist. The boogeyman is a color. (sorry. a "colour"). You just know they're gonna do something hilariously stupid, like make it aliens or mutated animals or something equally dumb, because like most things they will be convinced of the stupidity of their audience and insist that the audience won't understand the concept of "enemy" if there's nothing you could point a gun at.

But yes - its one of his best stories. Dark Adventure Radio Theatre has a GREAT radio play of it.

Creep Show did an adaption? Rewrite? I don't know what you would call it where the colour was just that meteor that hosed up everything and made Stephen King go crazy

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There was a 2010 German adaptation which I fully intend to watch, they apparently chose to go gray-scale except for the titular Colour.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I want to like this but I really hate that last panel
What is the guy even doing in that panel? Holding the scythe (or whatever it is) behind his own head and twirling at the zombie? How else would his arm get into that position and be cutting the zombie's head off?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hes doing a mario spin.

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

Tiggum posted:

What is the guy even doing in that panel? Holding the scythe (or whatever it is) behind his own head and twirling at the zombie? How else would his arm get into that position and be cutting the zombie's head off?

I think you'll find that's a saw cleaver and both sides can slice and dice :reject:

Now I want to play Bloodborne again!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So like, the zombie is behind him and he opens his weapon because he can clearly hear it. But he's holding it the wrong way around in panel 3 for the position he's holding it in panel 4. Not only that but the way he's holding it in panel 4 means he couldn't possibly have swung it with any amount of force, he basically held it up and the zombie ran into it hard enough to decapitate itself?

It's trying to do a version of the thing where a samurai or something senses a ninja sneaking up behind him and subtly holds his sword up casually so the guy kills himself on it? You see it in movies/games/comics alot but I can't for the life of me find an example.

But it's just super awkward with that sort of weapon and I have no idea why you'd draw that thing instead of just having an equally cool pose where the dude actually just turns around and beheads the guy in something like a batter's swing?

It's a really small thing to harp on but it stands out so badly in an otherwise cool comic page!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Agent355 posted:

So like, the zombie is behind him and he opens his weapon because he can clearly hear it. But he's holding it the wrong way around in panel 3 for the position he's holding it in panel 4. Not only that but the way he's holding it in panel 4 means he couldn't possibly have swung it with any amount of force, he basically held it up and the zombie ran into it hard enough to decapitate itself?

maybe that's why the SFX for the decapitation is a cheery POP!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Because we literally can't stop talking about Lovecraft, I'll recommend Alan Moore's Providence, which is basically a love letter to the mythos. It was one of my favorite comics from the last several years.

Was that the one where the detective got raped by deep ones?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
No, I read that one, it was neonomicon. I haven't read it in probably a decade and nor do I want to revisit it. Though if Providence is both less rapey and legitimately good, I might check it out.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

SomeJazzyRat posted:

No, I read that one, it was neonomicon. I haven't read it in probably a decade and nor do I want to revisit it. Though if Providence is both less rapey and legitimately good, I might check it out.

I never read neonomicon however I did read a collection of mythos-inspired short stories at one point, one of which did have a lot of sexual assault.

I'm an admitted fan of lovecraft's work despite fully understanding how problematic much of it is. Providence has some gross sex stuff involving a body-swap cult, but nothing irredeemable. It's been a couple years since I've read it though, but at no point was I disgusted by what I read... I think. Now I'm concerned. Moore wrote a run for Crossed that wasn't as rapey as the rest of the series, but still.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Mar 2, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I will still argue Cthulhu is a little pansy. Dude is supposedly all powerful and world ending but all it took was a guy running a boat into him to make him gently caress off back to the ocean.

The stars weren't right my rear end. He ran away.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

http://www.hello-cthulhu.com/?date=2003-11-30

Lovecraft chat.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm not sure what it all means, but It Came From Lovecraft Comics Search:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Len posted:

I will still argue Cthulhu is a little pansy. Dude is supposedly all powerful and world ending but all it took was a guy running a boat into him to make him gently caress off back to the ocean.

man he just wants to nap and a fuckin civilizations rise and fall and keep bothering him

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Cthulhu getting hit by the boat is like when you get up, hungover as poo poo, mouth tasting like an ashtray and the first thing you do is step on a plug and you're just like 'gently caress this, I'm going back to bed'

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I wonder how self-aware Lovecraft was about how ridiculous his racist views were. The Temple is almost a satire of them.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
PYF comic: Lovecraft did nothing wrong

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HP Lovecraft Fact: In America, he's called A1 Lovecraft.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Krankenstyle posted:

Check out Argentine artist Alberto Breccia's Los mitos de Cthulhu (1973, with Norberto Buscaglia)

it completely owns as do all his works, here's the opening page from Perramus (1984, with Juan Sasturain):

This is the first time I've seen lovecraft comics I've actually liked, thanks!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grevling posted:

This is the first time I've seen lovecraft comics I've actually liked, thanks!

Heck yea! I know there are Danish versions of some of his stuff, maybe Norwegian too?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Guess I'll post a comic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That is the worst adult calvin&susie I've ever seen

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Krankenstyle posted:

That is the worst adult calvin&susie I've ever seen

Okay Pamjee

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

This got a chuckle.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fister Roboto posted:

I thought he's now called Keysight Lovecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pamjees arent bugs!!!