Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Agean90 posted:

England's gonna dump their trash in the ocean then get forbidden from every having botes again after getting occupied by the EU for damaging crucial fisheries

smuggling goods in from the EU by running them across the garbage bridge between Amsterdam and Norwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mackers posted:

someone with 20 years and a couple billion to spare should build some plastic harvester ships tbh

These are being trialled I think but on nowhere near the sizes needed to clean up the trash gyres

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Jose posted:

These are being trialled I think but on nowhere near the sizes needed to clean up the trash gyres

I'll honestly be impressed if we make it that far. Books told me we'd be doing FTL poo poo by now and exploring the universe lol

welp

in hindsight it turns out you should pour resources into the people who can find you a way off this dead gay rock :v:

Mackers has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Mar 1, 2019

pdog
May 7, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

For some reason garbage pickup is always like 2 days from becoming a disaster in the UK. Like, it always comes up whenever there's civil unrest or a government funding issue.

Just dump it in the rivers like the days of Empire.

Effort post cos I occasionally cover waste policy. Basically, it’s a devolved matter with a lot of the overarching policy coming from EU directives with England, Scotland and Wales deciding how to implement the requirements differently. NI is a poo poo show in how they do it, but it’s a separate but mirroring system. Wales is widely considered the best in the UK wrt how they handle it, as the Welsh gov set clear policies and targets, with ringfenced funding from the national level. In England, the tories devolution agenda means that it’s up to your local authority, which means all their lovely cuts have seriously hampered England’s waste management. Though they’re currently consulting on a harmonised system.

all the compliance for most environmental regulation is currently done under the auspices of the EU, with them having the ability to bring court cases against member states for not complying. Although, as with air pollution we seem to just keep breaking limits and telling them to gently caress off. The replacement body for the EU won’t be established til like 2022 and it’s already been criticised for not having enough powers. Oh, also if there is a no deal Brexit, the first four months of uk emissions are technically not subject to the emissions trading scheme lol

It’s quite funny cos the uk could just be a dumping ground full of even more poo poo than now post Brexit.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

All your recycling just goes to a land fill in china lol

China got full and stopped buying. That poo poo is now just going to domestic landfills

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

they seem to have left out a zero when mentioning the amount of years

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Brexit means Brexit in all languages

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

What does brexit mean again? I forgot already.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vitamin P posted:

What are the put upon non-aligned proletariat countries?
trinidad and tobago

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

brexit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Trash sells
But who's buying?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

brexit leaves us naked

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Tom Guycot posted:

You should @ Mr Brexit this question, he should know

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

It means freedom from out-of-control regulation that forbid any banana to look different. It means all the tax money that is taken from the common working man who already has nothing and is currently going to out-of-control eurocrat fat cats will return to Britain. It means that British people will finally be able to enact the racially pure ethnostate and secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children. Because the beauty of the White Aryan women must not perish from the earth.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
350 million quid a week into the landfill

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/n_srnck/status/1101502457316818944

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

I thought the "Nasty Party" was just a filler we used in comedy.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
New Independent Gammons ‘Gainst Europe and Remain

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

astonishingly, the new politics of the independent group is exactly like the politics before it

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

First as farce, then as more farce, then some continuing farce until farced out.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Has the independent group been accused of anti-semitism yet?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wow! all tories!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Avirosb posted:

Has the independent group been accused of anti-semitism yet?

No just a regular racism about three hours after they started

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
would love to hear more about this "different political scale"

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1101583952484225024

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

brexit leaves us naked

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

mike gapes

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

he sure does

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Ed balls

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Bryter posted:

would love to hear more about this "different political scale"

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1101583952484225024

wow who knew the party that coined "if you want a friend of the family for a neighbour, vote labour" is racist

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Don't forget that the party is also currently in the process of destroying the country for the gain of *checks notes* keeping brown and eastern european EU citizens from having free movement to the UK.

Wait, uh, what actually happened here? The Eurotunnel took legal action to ensure they could ship medicine to the UK after Brexit, and the idiot in charge of trade deals is mad about it because :confused:

What legal action did they take, and why is he so mad about it?

Zulily Zoetrope has issued a correction as of 09:38 on Mar 2, 2019

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

at this point I’m thinking grayling is some sort idiot economist, trying to instigate his own version of quantitative easing on the U.K. economy

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Don't forget that the party is also currently in the process of destroying the country for the gain of *checks notes* keeping brown and eastern european EU citizens from having free movement to the UK.

Wait, uh, what actually happened here? The Eurotunnel took legal action to ensure they could ship medicine to the UK after Brexit, and the idiot in charge of trade deals is mad about it because :confused:

What legal action did they take, and why is he so mad about it?

Grayling awarded contracts to 3 (now 2) ferry companies to deliver supplies including medicines after Brexit not via Dover, secretly without going to tender.
Eurotunnel sued because they had been excluded from the running for no reason at all. Despite having previously run ferry services which is more than Seabourne freight had ever done, and obviously having their non-ferry option.
Rather than let the case proceed, and risk the contracts with the other ferry companies being voided by the courte, they’ve now agreed to settle and pay Eurotunnel compensation plus give them a delivery contract.

Grayling is the idiot in charge of transport not the idiot in charge of trade (that’s Fox). And he’s mad cos this has shown up his incompetence again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1101794774607151106

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1101501950913376256

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
So is there gonna be an extension or not. I follow this poo poo and I can't keep up, god help the normal voter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cheers. Sometimes I think the idiocy of the Brexit crew is exaggerated for comedic effect, but then it turns out that, nope, it's exactly as stupid as people are saying.

Zulily Zoetrope has issued a correction as of 11:59 on Mar 2, 2019

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
US urges UK to embrace chlorinated chicken

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47426138

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

US urges UK to embrace chlorinated chicken

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47426138

lol we want them to brexit so they trade more with us and in the process destroy their own internal agriculture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol we want them to brexit so they trade more with us and in the process destroy their own internal agriculture

Don't forget destroy the NHS