Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Kanine posted:

i love when i click on the subtle movie moments thread on something awful dotcom only to find several pages of old white dudes complaining that comedy doesnt have blackface in it anymore

weird thing to love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I also live things that don't happen.

They're my favorite things

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Barudak posted:

Frank L. Baum wanted to switch from a pure Gold Standard to a bi-metal standard with Silver included. This would have caused the US dollar to inflate insanely rapidly making it easier for farmers unless you thought about the issues affecting them for more than like 30 seconds instead of writing several novels.

Baum and silver pushers were quite right that the gold standard was terrible, they just came around too early to realize the solution was pure fiat money.

You can see this in Goldfinger with the plot to irradiate all the gold. If all the gold was radioactive it would... sit in the vault, just like it was already doing. The gold is superfluous to the money system.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That is indeed what I had in mind. A lot of Alice in Wonderland iirc is parodies of then-current education like memorisation and dictation.

A lot of the other bits of it are parodies of then-contemporary songs and poems, and references to some people that Dodgson and Alice went on a picnic with one time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Blade Runner 2049 the replicant who is "retired" by Ryan Gosling uses his face to break through a wall.

Which is the same thing Rutger Hauer does to Harrison Ford in the original.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ryan Gosling also runs through a wall to catch up with Deckard after Deckard locks the door behind him.

Still trying to think if there's any significance to Joi's ringtone being Peter and the Wolf.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ryan Gosling also runs through a wall to catch up with Deckard after Deckard locks the door behind him.

Still trying to think if there's any significance to Joi's ringtone being Peter and the Wolf.

I can't quite fit that. Peter and the Wolf is very russian

oh and PKD loved animals more than humans, his own daughters included so there you go

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
There's a scene early in Last Action Hero where Slater shows that the soundtrack is being played on his MiniDisk player, which explains why it doesn't skip while he's jumping his car around.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it really Joi's ringtone though? Aren't there instances in the film where the theme is played along with the Wallace logo separate from Joi? I could be misremembering. If that is true though, it would associate the theme with the Wallace, and the times it is played in context with Joi is because she is a Wallace product.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse

This is probably a stretch, but whatever.

The four "main" Spiders (Peter Parker, Peter B. Parker, Gwen Stacy, Miles Morales) get a montage about how they became their universe's hero.

Almost all of them get this hero shot when mentioning that they accept that they're the ones who have to save the city and that they know their mission in life:

Gwen's montage doesn't get this shot, despite us learning how she became Spider-Woman. She's only been webslinging for 2 years compared to the other established Spiders (Peter B. Parker's 22 years, Peter Parker's 10 years), and is still mourning losing her best friend. She doesn't have friends to stop people from getting hurt.

She hasn't had her hero moment yet. :(

I'm probably repeating other people, but if you're sleeping on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse you need to change that. Immediately.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse

This is probably a stretch, but whatever.

The four "main" Spiders (Peter Parker, Peter B. Parker, Gwen Stacy, Miles Morales) get a montage about how they became their universe's hero.

Almost all of them get this hero shot when mentioning that they accept that they're the ones who have to save the city and that they know their mission in life:

Gwen's montage doesn't get this shot, despite us learning how she became Spider-Woman. She's only been webslinging for 2 years compared to the other established Spiders (Peter B. Parker's 22 years, Peter Parker's 10 years), and is still mourning losing her best friend. She doesn't have friends to stop people from getting hurt.

She hasn't had her hero moment yet. :(

I'm probably repeating other people, but if you're sleeping on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse you need to change that. Immediately.

Although the shot that introduces her in costume on the tree branch seems pretty similar to those.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is not at all subtle but I've only just seen Joi's name written down. Is it spelled that way for the reason I suspect it is?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Uhh, what are you thinking? Please, enlighten us

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jerk Off Instructions, pm me if you wanna learn more about it, I'm pretty knowledgeable on the subject

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've certainly seen that asserted by some youtuber or other talking about the movie, but I couldn't say offhand which one.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

NtotheTC posted:

This is not at all subtle but I've only just seen Joi's name written down. Is it spelled that way for the reason I suspect it is?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tweet my meat posted:

Jerk Off Instructions

Hmmm, seems to check out.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Why do people actually need instructions for that?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Hands-on experience isn’t everything.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

*puts down hammer and bottle of honey mustard*
Wait, THAT'S how it's done?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It's pretend interactivity. It's not my jam but I imagine it's like phone sex if the other side was pre-recorded. You can probably get what the filmmakers were saying about the protagonist's relationship with a woman that isn't real.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's also more than a little a dom/sub/humiliation thing.

or so I've been told

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

sometimes I just get flustered and need someone to walk me through it :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You just tug it till you win and then feel shame.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You just tug it till you win and then feel shame.

thats what the post-joi asmr is for

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'll have none of that techno babble after my lust shaming, thank you very much, if a good old fashioned shame squirt was good enough for me da', it's good enough for me.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When having a good old fashioned hog strangle, always remember your manners and give your neighbor a courtesy stroke or two. If you are using accessories, remember: never dick something that wouldn’t dick you back given half a chance. Prepare yourself for the fight like Aries preparing for war. Set firm limits and stick to them. Don’t catch a rope in the eye unless that’s your thing. Paint my dick with glow stick fluid

subtle movie moments will never end

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

What I’m getting at is that we are rambling on like dumbasses about gross goon poo poo and not movie stuff

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Infinity War, they have Peter Dinklage, who plays a dwarf in Game of Thrones, portray a giant about 20 feet tall. Just casting against type and I appreciate it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

In Infinity War, they have Peter Dinklage, who plays a dwarf in Game of Thrones, portray a giant about 20 feet tall. Just casting against type and I appreciate it.

he's also playing a dwarf in infinity war

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Infinity dwarf

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He also played a scientist in Days of Future Past and his dwarfism was never brought up. (aside from the unspoken irony that someone with a physical mutation, the kind that Charles Xavier was specifically bringing up in the previous movie, is developing weapons to be used against mutants)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He also played a scientist in Days of Future Past and his dwarfism was never brought up. (aside from the unspoken irony that someone with a physical mutation, the kind that Charles Xavier was specifically bringing up in the previous movie, is developing weapons to be used against mutants)

not directly, but there was a bit where his personal office was scaled for someone of his height, with much a lower ceiling and standard height people would have to crouch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mazerunner posted:

not directly, but there was a bit where his personal office was scaled for someone of his height, with much a lower ceiling and standard height people would have to crouch

I didn't notice that. Maybe that was the point, to keep his height from being distracting?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I didn't notice that. Maybe that was the point, to keep his height from being distracting?

Well, I think someone that rich/important would have their office designed to fit them personally.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He did it to make visitors feel better about themselves

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oldpainless posted:

loved how his stature didnt really come up at all in i think we're alone now except for 1-2 jokes that could be workshopped for whoever else might have played the lead. great movie tho and dinklage is brilliant

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Mar 2, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's been a while but in the background you can see that they started as a prosthetics company (I remember a poster of a girl in a wheel chair), so he seems to have started his company as a way to help the handicapped. So it started as something personal to him, and then became something else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Noticed something interesting rewatching Layer Cake. Partway through the movie you see an unknown party kill the Duke and right after it happens the main characters visits Gene at his apartment and you see that Gene looks like he just took a shower and is throwing away clothes into a garbage bag. Then much later in the movie you find out that Gene and his bodyguard were responsible for the Duke's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I don't know why I was watching it, but I was. I'm not spoiling this though, because... come on.

The Simpsons Movie takes a whole bunch of pride in fitting in little cameos and references to as much of the show's history as it can (my personal favorite is the ambulance crash still being at the Springfield Gorge), except that they go out of their way to ensure all of that only occurs in Springfield. To highlight the impact and isolation of the Simpsons being exiled, not one actual recurring character or detail appears outside Springfield, even when it would be a natural joke.

Also, the time bomb deployed to blow up Springfield is initially set to 15 minutes; this is actually synced up to the movie's remaining non-credits runtime, and the bomb counts down at a largely consistent rate even when it's off-screen.