Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Heel Michael Cole and Mark Madden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shirtless Mark Madden and a second also shirtless Mark Madden

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Matt Striker and Vampiro might be the worst regular tandem.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So while I wasn't watching wrestling for a while, I was under the impression that Matt Cappotelli and Matt Striker were the same person, and I couldn't understand why they would put a guy with a brain tumor on commentary, but it certainly explained the things he was saying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Q_res posted:

My personal commentary team from hell would probably be pre-NWO Bischoff and Lawler at the peak of his "Puppies!" phase.
Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler have worked together, right?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler have worked together, right?

Cole stepped in for JR during at least one of his bouts with Bell's Palsy; iirc Cole & Lawler called the Mankind butts-in-seats title win

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
There was the JR heel turn thing where he had his commentary booth set up separately, was that King and Cole in the booth?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Now that we're in the deep end of hypotheticals, I will posit the following: that guy who asked how much everyone weighed, and Byron Saxton from the night that Lesnar killed everyone at ringside and they had to send Lawler out to rescue Saxton from his own commentary morass.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Now that we're in the deep end of hypotheticals, I will posit the following: that guy who asked how much everyone weighed, and Byron Saxton from the night that Lesnar killed everyone at ringside and they had to send Lawler out to rescue Saxton from his own commentary morass.

That night ruled. Byron spent an hour standing at the commentary table because nobody showed him how to turn over a chair

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

hell commentary is ed ferrara and puppies lawler but in shimmer

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

David Crockett and Rob Bartlett

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Go back and watch Josh Matthews and Todd Grisham commentate on the final ever "ECW" match.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Hi guys, don't forget about me!

Edit: Apparently Mike Adamle is in the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame
http://www.niashf.org/inductees/mike-adamle/

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

BGrifter posted:

Edit: Apparently Mike Adamle is in the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame

No-selling Malibu’s promo in American Gladiators was outstanding, even though he was inconsistent elsewhere afterward.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

BGrifter posted:

"Early this year, Adamle announced he was diagnosed with dementia and signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy. It is believed that the past 19 years of epileptic seizures resulted from his concussions in football."

Man, that's awful. Poor guy. :smith:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah everything dumb Adamle did in WWE gets a pass because of CTE

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah everything dumb Adamle did in WWE gets a pass because of CTE

But not Art Donovan?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Bigass Moth posted:

Mongo and Matt Stryker.
Matt Stryker was an early 2000s indie guy who looked like a ripped Bill Berry, what did he ever do to you? Matt Striker though sure, gently caress him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcl-uNFhU6c
Not sure Stryker would be a very good PBP dude either.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shiki Dan posted:

But not Art Donovan?

Art gets a pass because he was unintentionally hilarious.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It hit me today that I've never actually seen a Honky Tonk Man match.

Was he actually any good in the ring? Any matches of his worth checking out?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He worked Zybysko style to the extreme, so I don't know. He could run and and stall anyhow.

Also, as an old man, he figured out a way to do the Shake Rattle and Roll Swinging neck breaker without having to take a bump, so my guess is no.

Addendum: He was a Memphis guy, so he could probably brawl pretty well.

Addendum 2. Not good matches, but him vs Warrior for the IC title and him versus Savage at SNME were hot as gently caress regardless of how good they were.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 28, 2019

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Vandar posted:

Honky Tonk Man blew because he was in WWF and didn't have to do anything

Honky Tonk Wayne was a solid brawler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTndTO1tqVk

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Honky Tonk Man ruled in that old WWF Superstars arcade game.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CombineThresher posted:

Art gets a pass because he was unintentionally hilarious.

It breaks my heart that Rarity stopped her PPV review thread long before that King of the Ring.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Vandar posted:

Blonde Bombers member Wayne Ferris > Honky Tonk Wayne > Honky Tonk Man. And that's leaving out some of the short-lived stuff like "Punk Rock" Wayne Ferris. His Memphis stuff is all well worth watching.

That said, his house show IC Title defenses against Steamboat and Savage are also worth checking out. But little else from the WWF run is any good in any traditional sense.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What's the longest sequence of consecutive Raws since, say, 2000, that hasn't featured a single McMahon in any capacity?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's over 9000!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Suplex Liberace posted:

hell commentary is ed ferrara and puppies lawler but in shimmer

And also Mark Madden

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What's the longest sequence of consecutive Raws since, say, 2000, that hasn't featured a single McMahon in any capacity?

I was going to say 0 but there was that whole stretch of Raws last year where Stephanie was off and neither Shane nor Triple H were anywhere to be seen, so idk

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a vaguely wrestling related question. People talk abut steroids being easy muscles but is it easy come and easy go? I'm listening to the latest Retro Raw and Nitro and they mention how skinny Billy Gunn got after a few months off with a shoulder injury. I was also thinking about how much smaller Hogan is in WCW compared to WWF.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This is a vaguely wrestling related question. People talk abut steroids being easy muscles but is it easy come and easy go? I'm listening to the latest Retro Raw and Nitro and they mention how skinny Billy Gunn got after a few months off with a shoulder injury. I was also thinking about how much smaller Hogan is in WCW compared to WWF.

yeah juicing is a boost if you are working out and free muscles if you aren't if you stop taking roids the boost goes away too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did Hogan always cut three horizontal holes into the back of his shirts?

And why did it always look like he was wearing a filled yellow diaper before he switched to pants?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And why did it always look like he was wearing a filled yellow diaper before he switched to pants?

The first one is pretty easy: So it would be easier to rip off. Plus it makes it look like he's so ripped he's bursting out of the shirt.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The first one is pretty easy: So it would be easier to rip off. Plus it makes it look like he's so ripped he's bursting out of the shirt.

except he ripped the shirts from the front the 2nd part is related to the reason (shows off his back muscles)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wasn’t a wrestling fan when I was a little kid but I still saw Hogan all over the place and I did not even remotely get the appeal of the bald ancient looking man in the diaper who was half manic youth group leader and half obvious B-movie villain. Looking back at 80s-early 90s hogan as an adult I can recognize the charisma but the actual character and presentation still makes it baffling to me that he was such a huge cultural phenomenon

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I wasn’t a wrestling fan when I was a little kid but I still saw Hogan all over the place and I did not even remotely get the appeal of the bald ancient looking man in the diaper who was half manic youth group leader and half obvious B-movie villain. Looking back at 80s-early 90s hogan as an adult I can recognize the charisma but the actual character and presentation still makes it baffling to me that he was such a huge cultural phenomenon

It's one of the few instances of the McMahon Machine actually working. Gets the belt after only a month of being in the company (I know he was there a few years prior but it wasn't for very long; plus he was a heel and when he came back they had to hastily turn him) and is suddenly an unstoppable juggernaut for the next 4 years and everyone pretty much went "yeah ok" and cheered him like the obedient sheep Vince still thinks wrestling fans are.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did Hogan ever get heavily booed in his face WWF days?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did Hogan ever get heavily booed in his face WWF days?
I believe he got a bunch of boos in the climax of the 92 Rumble but the audio’s been edited to remove them

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The audience cheered when Undertaker first beat him for the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

I believe he got a bunch of boos in the climax of the 92 Rumble but the audio’s been edited to remove them

The part about them editing the audio has been a bit exaggerated over the years by the internet. They did replace the audio with totally new commentary and a different crowd reaction when they replayed the clip on free tv, but the original audio has always been preserved on the show itself.