Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
From Wisconsin. Can confirm eating of cheese is a potent mind control tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Tunicate posted:

Crossposting from the procedural generation thread, this is an attempt by the newest state-of-the-art AI to try to write a warhammer 40k wiki article.
Abominable Intelligence indeed.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

MMAgCh posted:

Abominable Intelligence indeed.

This plan is, of course, all part of their plan!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Kroot Cheese Insurrection storyline > Dark Imperium storyline

Also Kroot are apparently like Yoshi where every word in their language is Kroot. KROOT!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Alright, fine, I'll say it: I am Kroot.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

JcDent posted:

So much this. I stumbled into the setting post Dawn of War 1 (I had read Space Marine, The Best Book About Space Marines, before without any knowledge that Warhammer or miniature wargaming are things) and I'm super pissed at all the Beast books, THE TAU RAN OUT OF PLASMA BULLETS FROM SHOOTING SO MUCH CATACHANS, and all the "endless doom, scale-less gloom and enemies that are always endless" waves we always get.

Though some of it comes from me getting more interested in military history and war in general, and being angry at writers thinking that bigger=better.

Space Marine? The one that’s basically less self-aware Chuck Tingle erotica about Marines who fly their tube-shaped spaceships up the anus of a Tyranid bioship?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Indeed. Indeed.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Lol I forgot I made that post, riffing on arguably the greatest post of all time:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Space Marine? The one that’s basically less self-aware Chuck Tingle erotica about Marines who fly their tube-shaped spaceships up the anus of a Tyranid bioship?

It is a thing of beauty.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Crossposting from the procedural generation thread, this is an attempt by the newest state-of-the-art AI to try to write a warhammer 40k wiki article.

lmao

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Schadenboner posted:

How do I get Marines to be on the AdMech's side? I know the Iron Hands and their descendants are big Cogheads but none of them seem like the "Let's garrison a world"-type chapters.

And I need them to be on the AdMech side because a theme I'm going for is the humanity vs. (augmented-/post-/trans-/non-)humanity thing, and where the AdMech (and Marines) are on that spectrum, especially w/r/t something like the Genestealer Cultists?

The SM hosed up and now the AdMech owns them body and soul. Virtual slaves, same as some of the Knight Houses. An entire chapter getting owned constantly by the AdMech over the centuries could easily lead to this.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yep. Name one Marine book that is better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

The SM hosed up and now the AdMech owns them body and soul. Virtual slaves, same as some of the Knight Houses. An entire chapter getting owned constantly by the AdMech over the centuries could easily lead to this.

They ate literally in debt. Every bolter shell fired puts them further in debt, but since ther only way to service the debt is to fight for the AM...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

They ate literally in debt. Every bolter shell fired puts them further in debt, but since ther only way to service the debt is to fight for the AM...

Some people say a man is made outta mud
A Space Marine's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A fear that's unknown and a body that's strong

You kill sixteen Orks, what do you get?
Another scar earned and deeper in debt
Emperor don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the Fabricator

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I was inducted with a ceramite spine
I loaded sixteen rounds of kraken bolt
And the red priest said "Well, a-bless you Volt"

You kill sixteen 'crons, what do you get?
Another augmentic and deeper in debt
Oh Primarch don't you call me 'cause I can't go

I was born one mornin', it was drizzlin' rain
Fightin' and trouble are my middle name
I was trained in the cages by an vetr'n sargeant
Can't no-a martian magos make me walk the line

You kill sixty Tau, what do you get?
Another service stud and deeper in debt
Dead brothers don't you call me 'cause I can't go

If you see me comin', better step aside
A lotta xeno didn't, a lotta xeno died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't a-get you, then the power fist will

You kill sixteen nids, what do you get?
Another bolter and deeper in debt
Oh heavens don't you call me 'cause I can't go

JcDent fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 28, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
:perfect: loving awesome.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

basically less self-aware Chuck Tingle erotica about Marines who fly their tube-shaped spaceships up the anus of a Tyranid bioship?

I mean, authorial intent is difficulty to determine (and death of the author and all that so maybe it isn’t even a fit topic for analysis at all) but I’m not entirely sure that Ian Watson was exactly un-self-aware?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I confess I never read it. I’ve never read a Warhammer book, but if I did read one this seems like the one to read.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I confess I never read it. I’ve never read a Warhammer book, but if I did read one this seems like the one to read.

The Eisenhorn trilogy is a great beach read.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Eisenhorn was alright, I kinda feel it was overhyped. The Horus Heresy books Ive read have been pretty enjoyable

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah I haven't read many either but Eisenhorn was good. A lot of the ad mech books are good. Mechanicum is a Horus Heresy era look at the start of the civil war from the ad mech perspective. The Priest/Lords/God of Mars trilogy was rather fun looking at an Explorator fleet and the total disregard for peons they have.

If you like the Thousand Sons like I do, then A thousand sons and prospero burns are must reads. Magnus the Red, Master of Prospero from the Primarch line was interesting too.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Eisenhorn was alright, I kinda feel it was overhyped. The Horus Heresy books Ive read have been pretty enjoyable
It's overhyped because it's good, and most 40k books are not good. That is, it's not exceptionally good outside the context of stuff like 40k or Star Wars, but it's fun and reads well. I also really enjoy the setting which helps.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

*thinks about the Beast books, collapses in a pile of rage*

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

JcDent posted:

*thinks about the Beast books, collapses in a pile of rage*

But i thought the ork poo poo was supposed to be dope?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

CHAPTER SIXTEEN 
“We’re going in through its anus,” Biff whooped boisterously. Indeed. Indeed. 
What else could that puckered sphincter be, in the white bony hull of the vast, gastropoidal alien 
vessel? 
The leviathan that loomed ahead seemed a cross between a nautilus and an omnivorous, spacefaring 
snail. It was the length of a four-K asteroid, and almost as high where its shell spiralled
upward in a circuit of increasingly small osseous chambers. The shell was bleached chalky by aeons 
of radiation. 
Even as the armoured Fists, tightly packed into a stretched boarding torpedo, stared at the 
forward view-screen in its mount of bronze bones, that sphincter pulsed. 
It expelled a quick milky cloud, which the torpedo’s sensors assayed as consisting of bitter 
liquid dregs, foul gas, and ashy debris—the fart of a leviathan… 
“We’re ramming in through its arse!” Indeed. 
As were other Fist-packed torpedoes, aimed at other orifices where the alien hull might prove 
vulnerable… 

quote:

quote:

quote:

A coccyx of bleached bone jutted into space, bearing the sphincter at its tip like a quartet of 
triangular haemorrhoids clutched within bands of livid muscle. Where the heads of these scarlet 
protuberances touched, a tiny hole still puffed acidic discharge. 
The nose of the torpedo impacted rupturingly in that meatus, wrenching its tissue open, 
burrowing deeper convulsively with thrusts of its jets as the Fists clung to stanchions. 
The torpedo rocked as a shaped charge on the nose cone erupted, blasting a passageway ahead. 
Swiftly the spring-loaded cone itself petalled open, becoming a fourfold hatch pressing fiercely 
against the inner anal walls in the manner of a surgical dilator. 

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It's loving kicking rad, it's what it is.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I would love to hear what queer cultural critics have to say about Space Marine

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the War of the Beast books were alright, but despite having access to far better authors these days they let old school hacks like Guy Haley write whole books of the series

JcDent
May 13, 2013

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

the War of the Beast books were alright, but despite having access to far better authors these days they let old school hacks like Guy Haley write whole books of the series

You see, it's trash from the premise down/up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Space Marine is the perfect 40k novel.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JcDent posted:

You see, it's trash from the premise down/up.

well i thought the premise, of orks developing past what you mostly see them accomplish in 40k because the Imperium hadn't yet evolved the institutions to keep them in check long term, was pretty interesting. my issue was more the wildly fluctuating quality of the writing between authors

moths posted:

Space Marine is the perfect 40k novel.

i'm glad that guy managed to slip one of his Imperial Fists characters into the Inquisition War trilogy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

Hey Haley is cool.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Space Marine interactions are just like Top Gun. Their volleyball is a bit more intense though.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Great, now I'm imaging a chaos space marine doing that Iceman BITE

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey Haley is cool.

i know nothing about him as a person, but as an author of even pulp sci-fantasy he's on the bad side of mediocre

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can anyone point me at good novels or short stories from the current orky perspective?

Going to submit some writing to the black library and want to ensure it fits the meta.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Would these top knots fit MkIII/IV/V Space Marines?

It says that they are designed for 32mm

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Professor Shark posted:

Would these top knots fit MkIII/IV/V Space Marines?

It says that they are designed for 32mm

You might do better asking the 40k tabletop thread, but yes almost certainly?

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
Hey, not sure if you all know about this:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/horus-heresy-2019-warhammer-book-bundle

I just picked up the full thing and am hoping someone with more experience with the books can give me a good idea of where to start or any authors to avoid, etc... I've only read Eisenhorn so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The OP of the Book Barn BL thread has a list of which HH books are worth/required reading and which ones can be skipped.