Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Father Wendigo posted:

Is anyone left on PS4 who wouldn't mind helping me finish out the overtime challenges to get the free Battle Pass? I'm not sure if my usual crew will be around.

PSN ID is the same as my username here with an underscore instead of a space in the middle.

PS4 has crossplay now so anyone on any platform can play with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

lol, *that* building in Tilted just got destroyed by the latest earthquake.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

season 8 is lit
Patch Notes: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v8-00
Map: https://i.imgur.com/ACiR1AF.jpg

Highlights--
- Risky Reels is back
- Block moved to motel
- Top right of map where wailing, temple, lucky links, etc were is now a whole bunch of new stuff!
- loads of pirate and ninja things in the battle pass
- you can share mission progress in a premade team
> select a mission before a match to have everyone contribute progress
> does not count for "fill" members of the group
- New CANNON! (think Sea of Thieves mechanics)

There are also a fuckload of STW improvements and updates. I'm excited for the hero locker thing

AAB fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 28, 2019

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

oh and there's a ping system too, similar to Apex's

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Pirate land is awesome and hoverboards are sick. If they wanted to hit back at apex, they're doing pretty well.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Hahah, in the battlepass, there's a banana skin and a peanut butter jelly time emote.

Best of all, you can walk around while doing the conga emote.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

interpunct posted:

Best of all, you can walk around while doing the conga emote.

I hope they do more emotes where you can move around while doing them -- I always feel a little constrained having to stay in the same spot for an emote.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The pings are a god send. This is my first battle pass, any tips? Should I just be focusing on doing as many challenges as possible?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The pings are a god send. This is my first battle pass, any tips? Should I just be focusing on doing as many challenges as possible?
You're not in any hurry to do stuff, and location-specific objectives that aren't 'Kill 3 people at [LOCATION]' can be hell to complete for their initial week. Just do whatever you're feeling like.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SeANMcBAY posted:

This is my first battle pass, any tips? Should I just be focusing on doing as many challenges as possible?
imho, challenges like 'kill x opponents in location y' should be done asap and you should probably postpone challenges like 'open x chests in location y' until later. That's it, the rest is easy and you can just follow guides and cheat sheets, most of them can be done in few rumble games or whatever large group mode is currently in rotation.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sweet. Thanks.

I desperately want that banana man skin.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just play and have fun :smug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Just play and have fun :smug:

I can’t until I can play as a big banana.:sotw:

sixtyVolts
Apr 29, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Look up the guides that squatingdog posts on Instagram each week.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sixtyVolts posted:

Look up the guides that squatingdog posts on Instagram each week.

Yeah, support squatingdog if you buy anything with your vbucks using his creator code. His guides are super helpful and convenient.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My poor beloved motel... :(

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Daily challenges make a big difference. I don't know if those are in the free pass, but here are the basics: You can only have up to 3, so clear them out before they stack up. You will miss the opportunity to add one to your list if you don't log on each day, so try to pop online for a minute to store the challenge even on days you aren't going to play a lot. You have the option to re-roll one challenge daily from the main menu--on console you click in the left analog stick, not sure about PC.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

My poor beloved motel... :(

the castle in the block has a mega chest with a legendary drop every time, for now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do you need to be wearing a skin to level it up to unlock other styles? How does that work?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do you need to be wearing a skin to level it up to unlock other styles? How does that work?
No. There was one skin you had to do that for last season, but not this season.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

There should be a challenge page for any skin you have with challenges that tells you what it needs.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
With all the recent reworks I decided to get back into Save The World. It seems like it should be really fun!

Pity that Plankerton is a loving ghost town caught between masses of people who seem to only exist in stonewood to trade, and people who reached the endgame content a year ago and are offended mortally by the very idea of people existing without PL 130 heroes, because every loving game I've tried to play for the last three days has been me trying to solo maps. And yeah, I have account privacy to public. It's just so much of an unfun grind trying to, for instance, solo a "Refuel the Base" mission you have to do for plot reasons. It's doable, mind, just... not much fun. :(

Any game where you have to go outside the game to a discord or outside community to have fun is a game where something has gone wrong. :smith: I'm just so loving tired of ghost town maps. And loving solo SSDs are just an exercise in frustration. You win, probably. But ugh.

edit: the highlight of the three days was me picking "Play With Others" out of desperation, and getting matched with a single person who text chatted "oh sorry thought I had this as private" and then exited the game when I came in. Whooooooo.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Save the World is dead. Hero rework basically made everything weaker and harder to do.

Now all the heroes are crappy and middling.

I'm not joking either. Every single class except Ninjas got much weaker. It is basically a smokescreen for across the board nerfs.

Kneecapper and debilitating shots are gone, Make it rain is half as effective, anti material charge is useless except on one build, Decoy is useless now, Bullrush does less damage, there is no reduction in building cost, Constructors can't have large bases, Machinist doesn't increase damage for traps, you can't buff your abilities with Shuriken Master etc, grenades are nerfed.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 2, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Save the World has killed my desire to play coop games in general in any genre.

So many bad experiences with greed people, stupid people, lazy people, ... Battle Royale have not created the problem, it existed already, but made it even worse. Also since is a popular game among kids, some of the people are not ... evil.. they just don't know better.. yet.

Is too bad I don't like Dungeon Heroes 2. Dungeon Heroes 1 was the oposite of Save the World, with DH1 it was possible to setup the defenses, then chill with people, chat, no player was a dead weight for the team, no trolling... so sweet a game. Save the World could have been that, but the devs have never addressed the core problems with the game economy being easily abused by lazy people making life worse for people that want to play, have fun, and help other people.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tei posted:

Save the World has killed my desire to play coop games in general in any genre.

So many bad experiences with greed people, stupid people, lazy people, ... Battle Royale have not created the problem, it existed already, but made it even worse. Also since is a popular game among kids, some of the people are not ... evil.. they just don't know better.. yet.

Is too bad I don't like Dungeon Heroes 2. Dungeon Heroes 1 was the oposite of Save the World, with DH1 it was possible to setup the defenses, then chill with people, chat, no player was a dead weight for the team, no trolling... so sweet a game. Save the World could have been that, but the devs have never addressed the core problems with the game economy being easily abused by lazy people making life worse for people that want to play, have fun, and help other people.

You don't even know what they did with this update lol. It's so bad.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You don't even know what they did with this update lol. It's so bad.

Nope, I don't know.

I know they are working to make the game better, but I guess a bad update can turn the game into a personal hell. Can't imagine what they have done now.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I can't believe they killed my golf course.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Save the World for me, a casual gamer dude, is hampered by it being overly/needlessly complicated imo. I don't want to have to micro manage all the schematics, survivors, squads, heroes, defenders, leveling, evolving, crafting. Just, gently caress all that poo poo. I only log in to get the daily rewards to make way for free v-bucks lol.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How do the pings work? The only way I could think of was to open the map and do them. I like that they’re much more visible now but it would be nice to just look at something and mark it like in apex

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How do the pings work? The only way I could think of was to open the map and do them. I like that they’re much more visible now but it would be nice to just look at something and mark it like in apex

Left on the dpad at anything your crosshairs are on.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's auto-bound to middle click/m3 if you're on PC. Just look wherever and click, just like Apex.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Left on the dpad at anything your crosshairs are on.

I swear I tried that but I’ll give it another shot

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

teagone posted:

Save the World for me, a casual gamer dude, is hampered by it being overly/needlessly complicated imo. I don't want to have to micro manage all the schematics, survivors, squads, heroes, defenders, leveling, evolving, crafting. Just, gently caress all that poo poo. I only log in to get the daily rewards to make way for free v-bucks lol.

Yeah they made the heroes ridiculously complicated with this update

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah they made the heroes ridiculously complicated with this update

Im scared to look now...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

Im scared to look now...

It's a nicely disguised huge nerf for every playstyle you used to have.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Huh, new Save the World update is interesting. Does seem like it is a functional nerf for anybody that doesn't have a huge roster of every character to get the passives they previously used back. I don't mind though, been playing forever and more often than not I was annoyed that the characters I liked visually didn't have skills and/or passives that I liked.

Anyways, unrelated but I've been stuck on the final Storm Shield before blasting off to Twine Peaks. Anybody willing to help me get through that? I'm SJFev on PS4, will probably be playing later on today and most of tomorrow.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

DarkDobe posted:

Im scared to look now...

So you remember how heroes used to have a laundry list of stuff they did that you unlocked at like level 2 and 5 and 18 and whatever, and how you had a Support slot that anyone could do, and how there was also a tactical slot that some heroes had some bonuses at evolving to level 2, or whatever? They basically took that and redid it from start and somehow made it a little simpler and vastly more complicated at the same time, which is a neat trick.

Now you've got a whole set of bonuses. Each hero has 3 abilities to themselves (which is mostly the old favorites, but you always have the first, and you get the 2nd and 3rd at evolving to 2 and 3 stars, I think). Each class, soldier/ninja/etc, has a basic ability they all get too. Congrats, ninjas always get ninja leap now!

So here we go. Each "Hero Loadout" has a Commander Perk, and you can slot in like 5 heroes as support perks. Everyone gives some bonus to some aspect of your play, which levels up as you evolve 'em. And there's also a Team perk, which generally gets better or unlocks if you have support heroes the same class as your main. It gets tangled real drat fast. Like here's my mid-plankerton ninja loadout because I think it's gonna be easier to show than tell.

So I have my hero, Cloaked Shadow. He starts with dragon slash, I unlocked throwing stars at evolving him to 2, and when I evolve him to 3 he'll get smoke bomb. His Class Perks that everyone gets are Mantis Leap, the old familiar double jump, but upgraded with 'ninjas no longer take fall damage ever', and also Shadow Stance, where every time he gets a melee kill he goes all shadowy for four seconds, armor goes up, speed goes up, etc. His Perk is "Corrupted Aura"; when he's in shadow stance, he deals damage to nearby enemies every second. Since he's my commander, the hero I'm playing as, that's 20/second to everyone nearby. If he was a support hero, it'd be 6/second.

My Team Perk that I picked is Dim Mak; for every Ninja in my support team, I regenerate 2.7% shields every second during shadow stance. Since I have 5 ninjas, I get back 13.5% of my shields, every second, while I'm in shadow stance.

Each of the heroes I put in my support team has their own perk. Skirmisher Edge's trained throw cuts throwing star cost, Wings of the Dragon ups my dragon slash to 3 times, Assassination means that every time I deal melee weapon damage, for 5 seconds melee weapon damage goes up like 5%, Fleet is a flat bonus to movement speed, and Corrosive Strike means melee critical hits apply snare and affliction and also 37% of damage dealt each second for 3 seconds. And then gadgets are the same. Each of those support perks, I think, gets bigger when you evolve those heroes. So I have this build basically because "gently caress using ammo"; it gets stuck into groups with dragon slash, and then it's all about killing small things with melee weapons ASAP to basically keep shadow stance up as much as possible so that I can facetank big amounts of damage and also act as a moving AOE damage point, with the option for throwing stars when I really need ranged damage. It's a pretty fun build TBH.

Overall, the system seems to want to be going to a place where not everyone is running UAH or whatever? I think they're coming at it from a place of wanting to let people customize their playstyle a lot, which is a fine goal. I think it's got a shitton of work in balancing to do, and it is a bit more complicated overall. If STW had an active dev team I'd be pretty optimistic, but... :v:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

They gave you less perks overall and made most of the useful ones very weak.

Now everyone is going to be running Tactical Sledgehammer, First Shot Rio, Dragon Scorch, Megabase Kyle, Harvester Sarah, and farming with Archaelo-jess.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They gave you less perks overall and made most of the useful ones very weak.

Now everyone is going to be running Tactical Sledgehammer, First Shot Rio, Dragon Scorch, Megabase Kyle, Harvester Sarah, and farming with Archaelo-jess.

I mean, I seem to recall when I got back into the game a few weeks ago, the subreddit bitching about how ironclad the meta was at high levels before the rework... not sure how much that problem's really getting worse rather than shifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nah you could run pretty much anything that wasn't a Pathfinder or a Plasma hero. The only hard and fast rule for 100 4x was bring your 130's