Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sonic Adventure 2 is an okay game with both ironically and unironically good music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

movie stars are just high budget LARPers and should in no way be as celebrated as they are

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Entertainment is actually extremely important to keep you mentally healthy so you can do what you're told and go to your job.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aramek posted:

Entertainment is actually extremely important to keep you mentally healthy so you can do what you're told and go to your job.

If movie star salaries and everyone else salaries were slightly closer though, my job would be a lot less soul crushing. If I have to lose The Greatest Showman or Solo or Jurassic World 2 for that, well...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If movie star salaries and everyone else salaries were slightly closer though, my job would be a lot less soul crushing. If I have to lose The Greatest Showman or Solo or Jurassic World 2 for that, well...

The amount that movie stars get paid actually has nothing to do with how much you get paid. The idea that actors/singers/athletes are overpaid is just an idea put out to distract you from the real problem, which is people who make their money by owning a bunch of stuff and producing nothing. At least actors work for a living.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Do people who make a lot of money but aren't "rich people" count as bougie? I want to know if it's okay to be happy if bad things happen to football players.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Everyone except dying Congolese copper miners is 'rich people' and just lol if you think otherwise

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramek posted:

Do people who make a lot of money but aren't "rich people" count as bougie? I want to know if it's okay to be happy if bad things happen to football players.

There are two ways to earn money. Either you produce a thing that people want and they give you money for it, which is fine, or you own stuff and you charge people to use it, which is not. The idea of "rich people" and "poor people" is basically meaningless. Anyone who has more than you is rich, anyone who has less is poor. Really there are just people who work for a living and people who exploit those who work for a living.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Everyone except dying Congolese copper miners is 'rich people' and just lol if you think otherwise

Pffft, they have jobs. Dying homeless unemployed Liberian amputee is the cut off for "rich people."

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Tiggum posted:

There are two ways to earn money. Either you produce a thing that people want and they give you money for it, which is fine, or you own stuff and you charge people to use it, which is not. The idea of "rich people" and "poor people" is basically meaningless. Anyone who has more than you is rich, anyone who has less is poor. Really there are just people who work for a living and people who exploit those who work for a living.

So my canoe rental business is morally wrong? drat. Guess I am scum.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tiggum is technically correct but a multimillionaire actor or sports player or a six-figure doctor still lives in a different world than some dude who runs a lawn care business out of a pickup. Even though the last guy is the only bourgeoisie among them.

Realistically cutting their insane salaries would just mean more money to the executives who own studios and teams but also, they should make less money.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Mar 2, 2019

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

just imagining being filmed while pretending to be someone else makes me cringe. and the fact that there's a whole wealthy clique and also magazine covers dedicated to these people is just bleh.

now if you'll excuse me i have some captain marvel tickets to buy

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I genuinely enjoyed DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball on the original Xbox. I thought the volley ball was fun and also liked the lite date sim aspect with the other girls buying them gifts and the like. Do the newer versions have basically the same volley ball game mode? If so, I need to give them a try. I remember at the time thinking that future games should have added other sports to the mix and become some sort of big sport mini game compilation, instead it looks like they just went for more stare at the girls games.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tiggum is technically correct but a multimillionaire actor or sports player or a six-figure doctor still lives in a different world than some dude who runs a lawn care business out of a pickup. Even though the last guy is the only bourgeoisie among them.

Realistically cutting their insane salaries would just mean more money to the executives who own studios and teams but also, they should make less money.

A dude in a pickup with a successful lawn care business could easily be pulling in 6 figures.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
bacon is a terrible pizza topping. It adds little to the flavor and is basically just tough little bits of gristle. The only way it would be possibly good is if you cooked strips and cut them up into maybe 3-4 pieces and maybe they'd still have a good texture, but every pizza place just does the bacon bits-esque approach.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

A dude in a pickup with a successful lawn care business could easily be pulling in 6 figures.

Thus, “out of a pickup”, not “who drives a pickup.”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, your point still stands. Even six figures isn't anywhere near close to being wealthy.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rainbow Knight posted:

movie stars are just high budget LARPers and should in no way be as celebrated as they are

As a cinephile, I completely agree with this.

And as a cinephile, my unpopular opinion is that the MCU/shared universes suck rear end, especially given the affect it's had on Hollywood: namely how it's given producers and studio executives WAY too much creative control - even more than they had before - over directors and scripts.

I also don't mind movie theaters going away entirely in favor of streaming services (we got 4k HDR TVs now ffs). Lately there has always been some loud, obnoxious rear end in a top hat in the theater during my last few viewings. I can't tell you how infuriating it is when some dirty fat gently caress a few seats away from you in a packed theater is constantly shaking the ice in his soda because somehow his white trash mind believes it makes the drink taste better, or the punk rear end teenagers talking loudly even after you ask them to knock it off politely. Maybe everyone just likes to needlessly double down on being an rear end in a top hat during the Trump era or something, I dunno.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Contrary to what i claimed for most of my teenage years, paracetamol is quite good when you have a cold

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Slutitution posted:

As a cinephile, I completely agree with this.

And as a cinephile, my unpopular opinion is that the MCU/shared universes suck rear end, especially given the affect it's had on Hollywood: namely how it's given producers and studio executives WAY too much creative control - even more than they had before - over directors and scripts.

I also don't mind movie theaters going away entirely in favor of streaming services (we got 4k HDR TVs now ffs). Lately there has always been some loud, obnoxious rear end in a top hat in the theater during my last few viewings. I can't tell you how infuriating it is when some dirty fat gently caress a few seats away from you in a packed theater is constantly shaking the ice in his soda because somehow his white trash mind believes it makes the drink taste better, or the punk rear end teenagers talking loudly even after you ask them to knock it off politely. Maybe everyone just likes to needlessly double down on being an rear end in a top hat during the Trump era or something, I dunno.

Movie theaters should just get more expensive to keep out the trash. I only go to the movies like 3 times a year so it wouldn't be that painful if a ticket was like $25 if it meant it would keep the loud teens out of the theater. Also if anyone uses their phone while the movie is playing the ushers should be allowed to confiscate it and destroy it on the spot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mu Zeta posted:

Movie theaters should just get more expensive to keep out the trash. I only go to the movies like 3 times a year so it wouldn't be that painful if a ticket was like $25 if it meant it would keep the loud teens out of the theater.

Theatres licensed to serve alcohol tend to solve this problem nicely, plus they usually have comfortable seats.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alamo Draft House rules. The new Harkins theaters are great too. ADH will kick you out no questions asked for loving around on your phone or being annoying and they have comfy seats and reasonably priced beer and food (that doesn't suck) I've never had a bad experience there.

I'd rather drop $35 on seeing a movie and have a good evening out, than pay $15 for a shittier experience than I'd have watching it at home on my big TV.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Mar 3, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eating full meals and drinking in a theater is the most asinine thing. Just sneak a flask of vodka in and fill up your soda. It's way less loving annoying than a room full of people spilling and whispering to each other about their burgers.

Maybe I just had a bad experience though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that's never been a problem and I've been to ADH tons of times

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Every place I've been to does the meal before even the previews start. It is dumb to eat there because you will be paying like 150% of the prices at applebees for at best on par food, but you don't have to - just pay the extra few bucks a ticket and show up when you'd normally show up so you get the comfortable seats and a bar outside. Yeah they will be snobs about it and always comment that you missed the meal service but who cares, either make the meals mandatory or shut up about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alamo Draft House has way better food than applebees but I like that it's your only point of reference lol. And it's not even expensive it's like $13 for a meal. Eating an actual meal and drinking a beer while watching a movie actually rules dweeb.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

never been to that. But at the one where I live(d) it was like 13 for an appetizer like a plate of chicken fingers, entrees started at 18 which is way too much for a drat movie theater. Plus drinks, then 8+ bucks for the "fancy" bowl of popcorn after.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Going to a theater? No, thank you. I'll watch the same thing at home, where I can pause to go to the bathroom and touch whatever I feel like.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean really if you think about the prices of concessions at a crappy movie theater that's still really not a bad deal. There it's like $8 for non fancy popcorn and $7 for a pepsi.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I mean really if you think about the prices of concessions at a crappy movie theater that's still really not a bad deal. There it's like $8 for non fancy popcorn and $7 for a pepsi.

It's the same popcorn, they just put it in a porcelain or whatever bowl instead of a cardboard bucket and you get less of it.

It's still pointless to get the pre-movie dinner there though. We'd always just go to one of the better restaurants that are always right across the street, then show up half way through the previews while the attendants glare at us for not paying for their overpriced microwaved from frozen food.

Pay for the seats and the easily accessible alcohol, not the lovely food.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've got AMCs with the reclining big seats and a bar. I prefer that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eh, your point still stands. Even six figures isn't anywhere near close to being wealthy.

It’s a setup to being wealthy, and wildly out of anyone I know’s league. Chill for a year or two or even ten if you have a god-tier job with half a brain and then get an apartment in your city of choice that you can afford for 80 years. Or buy a mansion in your rural place of choice and laugh at the property taxes from your mountain stronghold.

I sure wish I could ever make six figures. I’d get a poo poo apartment with another room.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Mar 3, 2019

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
"I've got the money for a big screen 4K TV and a rocking sound system and if you don't gently caress you"

- goon sentiment

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I used to be squarely in the "never ever talk or make noise during a movie" camp, but after I actually went to a movie with a super rowdy crown I did a total 180. People hooting and clapping are the best and add a ton to the experience

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Films like 'Aquaman' and 'Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow' are meant to be talked during.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Saagonsa posted:

I used to be squarely in the "never ever talk or make noise during a movie" camp, but after I actually went to a movie with a super rowdy crown I did a total 180. People hooting and clapping are the best and add a ton to the experience

I agree with this as long as you dont have someone trying to be "that guy", who I've seen a few times trying to loudly MST3K the movie, but nobody can hear his mediocre jokes so it's just some guy incoherently talking loudly.

Conversely, partway through Expendables 2, the entire audience I was in realized collectively that we're all here for the same thing and started losing our loving poo poo every time something blew up :allears: I dont dare rewatch the movie in case it actually was bad and it was just the room's energy that made it amazing

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts
Baseball players are extremely overpaid.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

It has to be a natural thing for it to work. If at any point someone actively tries to "turn it into a mst3k style riff-fest" it's always bad. Yes, even that one time where you think it wasn't bad.

the only acceptable line to use is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZmCp7NocMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Smackdillion posted:

Baseball players Male sportspeople are extremely overpaid.

Fixed it a bit. (I 100% agree.)