Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Samurai Sanders posted:

They'd have to declare that it's not real beef though, right? I can imagine all the restaurants that do that in cattle country closing up shop almost immediately.
It's not there yet but I had an Impossible Burger while out with some family members over the holidays and it was close enough that a couple of relatives that tried it -- who were the types to previously break my cousin's balls for going vegetarian and would never in a million years touch tofu/tempeh -- were impressed and became really interested in the company.

They're also people who recognize that climate change is an actual emergency and have abandoned the Republican party in the past decade so they're primed to be converted, but I LOVE STEAKS was/is at least part of their personal identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hmm let's check out this other guy's work...

Um... what?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

They're right here. Off screen, laughing with me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Selachian posted:

Hi, I'm the compact fluorescent light bulb. Have you met me?

Didn't LEDs just leapfrog the CFL from a couple directions? They're becoming increasingly ubiquitous.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Being born is worse than dying. A nihilist cartoon?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

uh

what :psyduck:

Like, from context the point of it seems to be "who cares about climate change when ABORTION" but (a) that's a complete non sequitur and (b) it is making the point completely incompetently

like, does he think babies are aborted by being carried to term, delivered normally, and immediately put into a tiny guillotine, and even if they were what would that have to do with climate change

I'd add "and does he think embryos are completely sapient, human in appearance, and capable of abstract thought from the very instant of insemination" but that's honestly bog-standard for pro-lifers so

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

like, does he think babies are aborted by being carried to term, delivered normally, and immediately put into a tiny guillotine

Yes. They actually believe this.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Those babies we forced to term sure will like starving in under a decade!

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Discendo Vox posted:

Didn't LEDs just leapfrog the CFL from a couple directions? They're becoming increasingly ubiquitous.

GW Bush signed a law phasing out incandescent bulbs over the next X years because CFLs were cheap and getting cheaper and they use like a tenth of the electricity. The lovely people who ruined our democracy for money screamed and hollered because regulating light bulbs is UNAMERICAN and anyway there's MERCURY in those things! By the time incandescents were actually phased out, Obama was in office so there was plenty for the reprobates to complain about, and the light bulbs just remained this open sore for our older relatives to sneer at when they couldn't find "real" light bulbs anymore.

Manufacturers began wrapping the fluorescents in a bulb-like covering to placate idiot children, and within a few years LED bulbs were available, cheaper, and better able to provide light that "looks like a light bulb." Which I guess is an improvement, since they are easier to dispose of than CFLs (though for all I know the trace amounts of catalytic mercury aren't any kind of actual environmental hazard and that was all bullshit to begin with).

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Life is as an ocean of possibility, draining into the aether drop by drop, until it is as shallow as reality. There is no greater a wrong than to be born in the first place. An infinity, destroyed. Would that we all face annihilation, so as all of mankind can glimpse the shores of that great ocean once more, and drown in its depths.

-Pat Cross, probably

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

seiferguy posted:

Hmm let's check out this other guy's work...

That's a loving yikes right there

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Discendo Vox posted:

Pretty much, but back when various jurisdictions were considering setting lightbulb efficiency standards (late 1990s - early 2000s?) some people were literally spite-hoarding incandescent bulbs against the CFL apocalypse. :patriot: Didn't help that in the process of making CFLs cheaper Chinese manufacturers also reduced their life expectancy from years to months. :capitalism:

The way they fail doesn't inspire confidence either even if they are just failing as designed and won't burn your house down in the process. (Don't let the magic smoke out around the civilians, it makes them nervous.)

I, on the other hand, took Consumer Reports' advice and bought high quality CFLs. 10+ years later and I'm still waiting for them to burn out so I can replace them with LEDs.

e: f, pretty much b.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

like, does he think babies are aborted by being carried to term, delivered normally, and immediately put into a tiny guillotine, and even if they were what would that have to do with climate change

Our literal president posted:

The governor stated that he would even allow a newborn baby to come out into the world and wrap the baby and make the baby comfortable and then talk to the mother and talk to the father and then execute the baby

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If abortion rights are so great than why does Tedd Rool exist?!
:smithfrog: you've failed us abortion rights.:smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain_Maclaine posted:

President baby

I just love this sequence of events.

The governor comes in and takes a baby from the nurse, swaddling it warmly. "You cosy little guy" he says. "Alright, sure you want me to execute the baby, mom?". Yeah please go nuts. "You agree with this, dad?" Haha yeah that's why we're here huh. "Haha definitely ok well--" *yeets baby into the air before a firing squad*

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My point re: LEDs is the same market demand model wound up beating the prior. To analogize this to meat substitutes, the impossible burger or whatever is the LED to CFL's cricket meat. The demand model and market still won out over the culture war.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I went and looked this up, and it's genuinely impressive how transparently dishonest their "Sorry, But" editorials are. I know financial journals are typically right-leaning but IBD would make Garrison say "hey, uh, maybe tone it down a bit".

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Discendo Vox posted:

My point re: LEDs is the same market demand model wound up beating the prior. To analogize this to meat substitutes, the impossible burger or whatever is the LED to CFL's cricket meat. The demand model and market still won out over the culture war.

Yeah, that's legit.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, I could accept that model as long as cricket patties taste vaguely of sewage and give you bad gas for the evening.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

D.N. Nation posted:

Yes. They actually believe this.

They say they believe it. I doubt many of them really do.

Besesoth posted:

I went and looked this up, and it's genuinely impressive how transparently dishonest their "Sorry, But" editorials are. I know financial journals are typically right-leaning but IBD would make Garrison say "hey, uh, maybe tone it down a bit".

Well, Bill Clinton did sign the repeal of Glass-Steagall, so he gets some of the blame. Also, the dismantling of welfare in the 90's meant the safety net was a lot shabbier when the crash did happen. (I'm not willing to read the article, but I imagine their reasoning is much stupider.)

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Jurgan posted:

They say they believe it. I doubt many of them really do.

The Sean Hannities and Sebastian Gorkas of the world certainly don't believe it, and they're just repeating it as much as they can in order to portray their side as having the moral high ground, as well as keeping their aged viewer base riled up enough to vote. But a large portion of their audience totally buys it.

Like, remember when you couldn't turn on Fox or talk radio without hearing "Planned Parenthood is selling Baby Body Parts" a few years back? It didn't matter that nobody actually watched the video, they had their gruesome, gory narrative and they stuck with it. Between every single commercial break, they just repeated "baby body parts, leftists sell baby body parts, they're in FAVOR of taking a healthy baby and selling its baby body parts!!!" The only thing that got them to shut up was when a person who listened to them shot up an abortion clinic and killed 3 people, all while screaming about baby body parts.

And now, they're using that strategy again, and to top it all off, they're bringing the Baby Body Parts narrative just for kicks. Certainly, nothing will go wrong!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Chris Grayling and the Brexit ferry fiasco – Transport secretary faces pressure to quit after humiliating £33m out-of-court settlement over botched deal"

Telegraph:

"Moggism is the future of the Conservative Party, and British politics" - Fraser Nelson

Independent:

After Magritte.

The i paper:

Viral 'Momo challenge' is a malicious hoax, say charities

Times:

After Alfred Eisenstaedt.
Bonus! Morland's animated cartoon.

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... suspects reoffending

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 2, 2019

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

The Sean Hannities and Sebastian Gorkas of the world certainly don't believe it, and they're just repeating it as much as they can in order to portray their side as having the moral high ground, as well as keeping their aged viewer base riled up enough to vote. But a large portion of their audience totally buys it.

Like, remember when you couldn't turn on Fox or talk radio without hearing "Planned Parenthood is selling Baby Body Parts" a few years back? It didn't matter that nobody actually watched the video, they had their gruesome, gory narrative and they stuck with it. Between every single commercial break, they just repeated "baby body parts, leftists sell baby body parts, they're in FAVOR of taking a healthy baby and selling its baby body parts!!!" The only thing that got them to shut up was when a person who listened to them shot up an abortion clinic and killed 3 people, all while screaming about baby body parts.

And now, they're using that strategy again, and to top it all off, they're bringing the Baby Body Parts narrative just for kicks. Certainly, nothing will go wrong!

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slack...c-baby-killers/

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Besesoth posted:

IBD is Ramirez's rag.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Are these people midgets or is the house weird?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

You didn’t close out the first url tag here.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

DreamingofRoses posted:

You didn’t close out the first url tag here.

Whoops! Fixed. Thank you.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Are these people midgets or is the house weird?

Third option: poor drawing.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Paul Thomas learned perspective from Rall.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pilchenstein posted:

Paul Thomas learned perspective from Rall.

That's rude!

e: I mean Thomas clearly knows how perspective works from a technical point of view, his drawings can be quite elaborate while maintaining a naivist style.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 2, 2019

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jurgan posted:

Well, Bill Clinton did sign the repeal of Glass-Steagall, so he gets some of the blame. Also, the dismantling of welfare in the 90's meant the safety net was a lot shabbier when the crash did happen. (I'm not willing to read the article, but I imagine their reasoning is much stupider.)

They refer to the repeal of Glass-Steagal as "minor tinkering" that had no real effect, and claim that

quote:

In 1995, using the powers of the presidency, Bill Clinton turned the 1977 Community Reinvestment Act into an aggressive program that basically forced banks to lend money to "underserved" communities. That meant those with low incomes who couldn't necessarily repay a loan.

:jerkbag:

Stultus Maximus posted:

IBD is Ramirez's rag.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've read a few more of their editorials and articles and Irritable Bowel Disaster Investor's Business Daily isn't worth the paper it isn't printed on anymore.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

IMD dropped Ramirez a few years ago, which says something but I dunno what.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriouspost: How can you look the world and not realize about 100% of Americans would literally eat real beef just out of spite? :confused:

e: gently caress, they would literally start eating human if AOC started an anti-cannibalism drive.

100% wouldn't since there are Americans already not eating beef. And if you raised the price on it, even more would drop it because not everyone is can be that cavalier with their food budget. Ground beef is cheap food right now, and it really shouldn't be. Ideally it'll get replaced with a meat-substitute or some kind of lab created muscle tissue, but even just swapping it out for chicken instead would be an improvement.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

:ughh: It took me until the third to last panel to realize this is meant to be ol' condom head.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jurgan posted:

Explain?

About a day after we ran around saying "WHAT MONSTER BURNS AN AID TRUCK?!" videos came out from actually in the protests showing opposition members chucking firebombs that fell short of the cops and broke around and under the truck. At best for the old narrative the state's use of tear gas may have helped the fire spread.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

How is that not already a law and what are the arguments against it?
I could kinda understand it if it was a gaping hole in the law system nobody ever bothered with. But they actively contemplated it and decided that such a law isn't needed. Why?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 3, 2019

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

:ughh: It took me until the third to last panel to realize this is meant to be ol' condom head.

:same:

Shouldn't that be "swerve," not "swirve"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

JRRJesus... you can't spell "swerve", for gently caress's sake?