Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1100840402427527173

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hailthefish posted:

"Bad Cav Island" is a milhist thread meme referring to england just being really bad at cavalry. The horses were really good, apparently, but everything about using them was miles behind the rest of western europe mostly due to having a whole lot less practice at actually doing it compared to their continental peers.
the 16th and 17th century were full of a lot of wars and only one (three?) of them was in England.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Plus England sucks. Studies have proven this.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

the 16th and 17th century were full of a lot of wars and only one (three?) of them was in England.

Ehhh just because the wars weren't being fought on the English mainland doesn't mean English people weren't fighting wars. Calais was technically English up til 1558, nice one Queen Mary thanks for losing us it. Also on top of the three Civil Wars you've got two Bishops' Wars and whatever you want to call the Glorious Revolution, plus various random rebellions.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 28, 2019

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Ehhh just because the wars weren't being fought on the English mainland doesn't mean English people weren't fighting wars. Calais was technically English up til 1558, nice one Queen Mary thanks for losing us it. Also on top of the three Civil Wars you've got two Bishops' Wars and whatever you want to call the Glorious Revolution, plus various random rebellions.

Didn’t Elizabeth lose it, though? I thought that the loss of Calais came with the Treaty of Cateau-Cambresis

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cnidario posted:

Didn’t Elizabeth lose it, though? I thought that the loss of Calais came with the Treaty of Cateau-Cambresis

Cateau-Cambresis was between Henry II of France and Philip II of Spain, Mary’s husband. Elizabeth was queen by the time of the peace on account of Mary having just died the previous winter, but not yet at the time that Calais had already been lost de facto and there was no prospect of England getting it back.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yall blame mary for a lot of poo poo but i stan her on twitter

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cnidario posted:

The last time Calais was under English rule was Mary's reign. That treaty actually said England would regain it in a few years' time after paying a suitably large chunk of money, but then other events intervened.

bru
May 7, 2006

pampering lifes complexity
I'm up to the Punic wars in the History of Rome podcast.

During the wars the cost to the Roman's monetarily sounds horrendously high, with all the ships, men and equipment they lost. Where was Rome's wealth coming from at that time?

And does the modern word skipper, as in a captain of a ship, originate from Scipio? A lot of the early Roman sailors seemed to have had the name.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

bru posted:

And does the modern word skipper, as in a captain of a ship, originate from Scipio? A lot of the early Roman sailors seemed to have had the name.

Most likely skipper descends from the Old English word for a boat, scip.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Skip and ship are practically the same word. Sk->sh was a change that occurred all over old English, cf fisc->fish

I believe skip re entered the language after this occurred (via Danish?)

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Yeah, sk clusters in modern English are generally loans into Middle English from either Norse (skirt, skull, sky) or Latin/French (school, scald). Some come from earlier ks like dox > dusk or ax > ask.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
finished the thing i was working on. Posting it here in case anyone was interested.

While every human currently alive has some sort of mutation, (beneficial, harmless, or otherwise) , there exist some humans who have roughly similar mutations, causing them to become a new subspecies.

Oiks: (Homo sapiens anabolis) Oiks are a subspecies of humans characterized by increased height and muscle mass, as well as lowered intelligence. Oiks speak a unique dialect of English. Oik society is characterized by rule by the biggest and strongest. Oiks practice cannibalism and slavery, typically of baseline humans, but also of revenants.

Revenants: (Homo sapiens radialem) Revenants are humans who have been exposed to large doses of radiation, which has triggered a unique genetic deformity. This has resulted in a withered, corpse-like appearance; as well as increased radiation resistance and an almost complete end to ageing. Revenants are almost completely sterile, and the entirety of their population growth is from the conversion of normal humans. Revenants are vulnerable to a degenerative brain disease, colloquially known as “going feral”, which results in symptoms similar to rabies.

Tunnelers: (Homo sapiens subterrani) Tunnelers are descendants of those humans trapped in the underground tunnels and sewers of nuked cities. Tunnelers are cannibalistic and consider all non-tunnelers to be prey. They are characterized by pale skin, large eyes, and thin almost emaciated frames. They are vulnerable to sunlight. Their diet consists primarily of mushrooms, various insects, rats, fish, and humans. Their society is communal, revolving around worship of darkness.

Fishmen: (Homo sapiens littoria) Fishmen are a race of amphibious humans who live primarily in swamps, marshlands, and along the coast. The largest population center in Europe is the former Netherlands, although populations can be found in the Fens of East Anglia, as well as most coastal areas which contain significant fisheries and most marshlands. Fishmen are characterized by smooth, hairless skin, webbed, flipper-like hands and feet, and thick, blubbery torsos. They are air-breathers but can hold their breath for up to an hour. They make their homes in seaside caves, ruined flooded buildings, or huts in the marshes. The typical diet of fishmen consists of seaweed or kelp, fish, shellfish, birds, and mirelurks.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

While every human currently alive has some sort of mutation, (beneficial, harmless, or otherwise) , there exist some humans who have roughly similar mutations, causing them to become a new subspecies.

:chloe:

I know you're writing a fantasy something or other but this is violence! Plz do not abuse the terminology of evolutionary biology like this, it makes my eye twitch

maybe you meant to post this in another thread?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

maybe you meant to post this in another thread?
nah he needs help with the latin

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

well, at least the capitalization is correct on the names. . . still the implication that two allopatric populations undergoing convergent evolution could produce a single subspecies wounds me deeply :lofty:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Why is he a ginger?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
why wouldnt he be?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

His father had the cognomen Ahenobarbus which is Latin for Bronze Beard.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Jack2142 posted:

His father had the cognomen Ahenobarbus which is Latin for Bronze Beard.

Right (and so did he), but it was a hereditary cognomen, so all that meant was, some ancestor at one point was red headed. (The legend is, when the Romans won the battle of Lake Regillus, Castor and Pollux, who had taken mortal form and fought on Rome's side, appeared to the ancestor and announced the Roman victory, and then to prove that they were divine, stroked the ancestor's beard, turning it red.)

Other reasons you shouldn't trust cognomen:

Gaius Julius Caesar was balding.
Nerva wasn't particularly muscular
Marcus Junius Brutus was fairly intelligent
Cicero wasn't a chickpea.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Epicurius posted:

Right (and so did he), but it was a hereditary cognomen, so all that meant was, some ancestor at one point was red headed. (The legend is, when the Romans won the battle of Lake Regillus, Castor and Pollux, who had taken mortal form and fought on Rome's side, appeared to the ancestor and announced the Roman victory, and then to prove that they were divine, stroked the ancestor's beard, turning it red.)

Other reasons you shouldn't trust cognomen:

Gaius Julius Caesar was balding.
Nerva wasn't particularly muscular
Marcus Junius Brutus was fairly intelligent

I know, I think that was their actual justification though. I think Nero like most of the Julio-Claudians was actually blond, but I don't have my translation of Suetonius to double check.

Edit: Found something online...

Edit: Nope nvm that source was some weird racial blog trying to claim Roman patricians were aryan.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 3, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Epicurius posted:

I don't believe you.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do we have remains from any famous Roman to run DNA analysis on? Like an emperor, senator, writer.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

aphid_licker posted:

Do we have remains from any famous Roman to run DNA analysis on? Like an emperor, senator, writer.

Romans burned the dead. Whole burial was a bit of an uncleanliness taboo in the pagan world, it’s only Christian hope of the resurrection of the flesh that changed this practice. Even if you managed to find the urn of someone important (Augustus’ is long lost for example) there’d be nothing much to work on. You’d probably be better off trying to do some analysis of whatever pigments you could find on Nero’s statues.

Suetonius says Nero’s hair was “subflavus”, i.e. “yellowish”

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 2, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

skasion posted:

Romans burned the dead. Whole burial was a bit of an uncleanliness taboo in the pagan world, it’s only Christian hope of the resurrection of the flesh that changed this practice. Even if you managed to find the urn of someone important (Augustus’ is long lost for example) there’d be nothing much to work on.

Wow I did not know that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

aphid_licker posted:

Nobody famous that I can think of offhand. We have done DNA tests on a lot of Roman bodies but I can't think of any famous tombs (that had bodies in them) from after cremation went out of style.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

"Non cicer sum, non cicer sum!" Cicero said before he was turned into a chickpea by one of the Trimuvirate's legionaries.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't believe you.

"im not owned! im not owned!!", Cicero continues to insist as he slowly shrinks and transforms into a chickpea.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grand Fromage posted:

Nobody famous that I can think of offhand. We have done DNA tests on a lot of Roman bodies but I can't think of any famous tombs (that had bodies in them) from after cremation went out of style.

Isn't Stillico's (Sp?) body in his tomb?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mycroft Holmes posted:

finished the thing i was working on. Posting it here in case anyone was interested.

Oiks: (Homo sapiens anabolis) Oiks are a subspecies of humans characterized by increased height and muscle mass, as well as lowered intelligence. Oiks speak a unique dialect of English. Oik society is characterized by rule by the biggest and strongest. Oiks practice cannibalism and slavery, typically of baseline humans, but also of revenants.

Revenants: (Homo sapiens radialem) Revenants are humans who have been exposed to large doses of radiation, which has triggered a unique genetic deformity. This has resulted in a withered, corpse-like appearance; as well as increased radiation resistance and an almost complete end to ageing. Revenants are almost completely sterile, and the entirety of their population growth is from the conversion of normal humans. Revenants are vulnerable to a degenerative brain disease, colloquially known as “going feral”, which results in symptoms similar to rabies.

Tunnelers: (Homo sapiens subterrani) Tunnelers are descendants of those humans trapped in the underground tunnels and sewers of nuked cities. Tunnelers are cannibalistic and consider all non-tunnelers to be prey. They are characterized by pale skin, large eyes, and thin almost emaciated frames. They are vulnerable to sunlight. Their diet consists primarily of mushrooms, various insects, rats, fish, and humans. Their society is communal, revolving around worship of darkness.

Fishmen: (Homo sapiens littoria) Fishmen are a race of amphibious humans who live primarily in swamps, marshlands, and along the coast. The largest population center in Europe is the former Netherlands, although populations can be found in the Fens of East Anglia, as well as most coastal areas which contain significant fisheries and most marshlands. Fishmen are characterized by smooth, hairless skin, webbed, flipper-like hands and feet, and thick, blubbery torsos. They are air-breathers but can hold their breath for up to an hour. They make their homes in seaside caves, ruined flooded buildings, or huts in the marshes. The typical diet of fishmen consists of seaweed or kelp, fish, shellfish, birds, and mirelurks.

so you didn't change anything about the english or dutch

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

aphid_licker posted:

Someone try to find a footstool made out of human flesh in Iran or Iraq it might be Valerian.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jack2142 posted:

Someone try to find a footstool made out of human flesh in Iran or Iraq it might be Valerian.

Turns out Valerian was destroyed by ISIS in 2014.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

maximinus thrax might've had gigantism, but i guess nobody's seen his skeleton. apparently archaeologists have in fact found a skeleton with gigantism from ancient rome times, though, which is kinda cool. the link to the actual paper isn't working for me but it says they found him in Fidenae, which is right next to rome.

the other cool thing i found out when googling for this top-tier post is that apparently the largest known penguin, which lived in antarctica ~40 million years ago, was over 6 feet tall and 250 pounds. Palaeeudyptes klekowski, it's called. so that's cool

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Depends on the era. The roman republic generally practiced inhumation, which became replaced by cremation over the course of its last century. Cremation remained predominant for the first two centuries of the empire, but eventually lost out to inhumation again.

And then there's the Roman Egyptians which are their own thing

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It would be cool to build a model of a guy's face out of his DNA, if that's possible, and then compare it to his statues.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Turns out Valerian was destroyed by ISIS in 2014.

Or we should check Hobby Lobby!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tunicate posted:

And then there's the Roman Egyptians which are their own thing

And the Roman Jews of course. When Jesus rose from his tomb on the third day, he wasn't, like, Cajun style.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oystertoadfish posted:

maximinus thrax might've had gigantism, but i guess nobody's seen his skeleton. apparently archaeologists have in fact found a skeleton with gigantism from ancient rome times, though, which is kinda cool. the link to the actual paper isn't working for me but it says they found him in Fidenae, which is right next to rome.

the other cool thing i found out when googling for this top-tier post is that apparently the largest known penguin, which lived in antarctica ~40 million years ago, was over 6 feet tall and 250 pounds. Palaeeudyptes klekowski, it's called. so that's cool

Lol, those are still alive in the sub-antarctic metropolis of the Elder Things. Everyone knows that.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

aphid_licker posted:

It would be cool to build a model of a guy's face out of his DNA, if that's possible, and then compare it to his statues.

We wouldn't be able to do that well, how you have lived impacts your looks a lot, 2 identical twins seperated at birth can look unrecognisably different people by the time they are adults. Potentially we could see an aprxoimation one day, once we solve the human genome, but it'd be like looking at a distant relative compared to the real thing. I think anyone doing it would be unfairly influenced by the statues too, because thats how they are SUPPOSED to look.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

oystertoadfish posted:

Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!