Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

It's one of the few instances of the McMahon Machine actually working. Gets the belt after only a month of being in the company (I know he was there a few years prior but it wasn't for very long; plus he was a heel and when he came back they had to hastily turn him) and is suddenly an unstoppable juggernaut for the next 4 years and everyone pretty much went "yeah ok" and cheered him like the obedient sheep Vince still thinks wrestling fans are.

Hogan was pretty much a top babyface to the world when he came back to the WWF in '84, still riding off the popularity boost he got from being in Rocky 3. Why he didn't do the white tights and red boots + pads from the movie? Who knows! I'd assume someone somehow had a claim to that combination or Vince was worried about a lawsuit from MGM because they could maybe make a claim that Vince would be promoting the character from Rocky and not the guy who played the character.

People forget that Rocky basically made Hogan into a massive white-hot star in America (while accidentally knocking Inoki out with a lariat made him a white-hot star in Japan and created the AXE BOMBER), mostly because Vince tries to pretend that he was the real mind behind Hulkamania and not some rear end in a top hat who happened to offer a good deal to a guy who was going to be the biggest wrestler in the world either way (although god knows Verne would have probably found a way to screw it up because he wanted all the money).

Actually, it's kinda funny; if Hogan had just kept the AXE BOMBAAAAAAAAH his whole run instead of doing The Big Leg, he'd most likely still have his hips and would probably still be working matches from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did Hogan ever get heavily booed in his face WWF days?

Besides the Undertaker title switch and the Rumble there are reports he got booed when doing a house show feud with Jake Roberts which reportedly why he nixed the feud.

Even during Prime Hogan drawing years Hogan had a shelf life in places and according to Meltzer always tended to draw less each time if they ran Hogan too much in a town.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Cameo posted:

Hogan was pretty much a top babyface to the world when he came back to the WWF in '84, still riding off the popularity boost he got from being in Rocky 3. Why he didn't do the white tights and red boots + pads from the movie? Who knows! I'd assume someone somehow had a claim to that combination or Vince was worried about a lawsuit from MGM because they could maybe make a claim that Vince would be promoting the character from Rocky and not the guy who played the character.

People forget that Rocky basically made Hogan into a massive white-hot star in America (while accidentally knocking Inoki out with a lariat made him a white-hot star in Japan and created the AXE BOMBER), mostly because Vince tries to pretend that he was the real mind behind Hulkamania and not some rear end in a top hat who happened to offer a good deal to a guy who was going to be the biggest wrestler in the world either way (although god knows Verne would have probably found a way to screw it up because he wanted all the money).

Actually, it's kinda funny; if Hogan had just kept the AXE BOMBAAAAAAAAH his whole run instead of doing The Big Leg, he'd most likely still have his hips and would probably still be working matches from time to time.

Hogan had been a white babyface in the AWA for almost a year prior to Rocky 3 coming out, giving them their biggest box office success ever. He became bigger after Rocky but he was going to get there regardless. He didn't return to the WWF for a year and a half after Rocky either so I don't think they was any reason to think about using his look from the movie. Mr. T did give him a boost to the next level for Wrestlemania though.

The Inoki thing was a planned finish, and no he probably wouldn't have kept his hips. He destroyed his body from years of steroid abuse and walking around with too much muscle mass on his body, not one bump a night.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's right history boys. fight it out For my affection

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

also I'm going to acquiesce to MRT on this, I know better than to doubt the El Dandy of Wrestling History

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

also I'm going to acquiesce to MRT on this, I know better than to doubt the El Dandy of Wrestling History

Cue MRT explaining how he's actually more like Atlantis and El Dandy's career more closely parallels Rarity as a poster.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Cameo posted:

For a brief while he was coming out to "Eye of the Tiger" from Rocky 3, so yeah, Vince was still trying to ride that train. But Vince was also trying to push the idea of "larger than life" wrestlers, so licensing "The Incredible Hulk" Hogan from Marvel* did that better than the nonsensical "Thunderlips".

*Yes, he was Hulk Hogan before that, but for a brief time he was called, by announcers, if not in print, in the WWF as "The Incredible" Hulk Hogan.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hogan ripping his shirt is pretty reminiscent of the Incrediblw Hulk too.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Davros1 posted:

For a brief while he was coming out to "Eye of the Tiger" from Rocky 3, so yeah, Vince was still trying to ride that train. But Vince was also trying to push the idea of "larger than life" wrestlers, so licensing "The Incredible Hulk" Hogan from Marvel* did that better than the nonsensical "Thunderlips".

*Yes, he was Hulk Hogan before that, but for a brief time he was called, by announcers, if not in print, in the WWF as "The Incredible" Hulk Hogan.

Thunderlips was basically Rick Rude

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

The Incredible Hulk thing and Eye of the Tiger theme date back until the AWA too. It wasn't so much licensing it as Marvel demanded it because the name blatantly infringed on their trademarks.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
What's the best Don Muraco match? Is it safe to assume that it's before he was in the WWF?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Thunderlips was basically Rick Rude

Yes, but he was called "Thunderlips".

Now, if he had been called "Thunder Muscles"? That's a money name!

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
After watching Nightingale vs Chris Dickinson, how many more matches out there of Person vs Person they believe died early in the match and is now only running on left over brain cells powered by the electricity of the crowd?

Ones that come to mind like this was Ishii vs Micheal Elgin where Elgin gave Ishii a razor's edge off the top rope directly onto his neck and head and looked visibly spooked when Ishii was still wrestling as normal like nothing happened.
Undertaker, Mankind HITC I guess qualifies.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

IIRC Taker got concussed real early in his bad bad Brock mania match

Daniel Bryan’s best segment happened when he was basically KO’d on his feet

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

FunMerrania posted:

Ones that come to mind like this was Ishii vs Micheal Elgin where Elgin gave Ishii a razor's edge off the top rope directly onto his neck

what neck

Akira Hokuto broke her neck taking a second-rope tombstone piledriver in a 2-out-of-3 falls match for the first fall, then wrestled the other two falls. It was a tag match but the fact that she actually WORKED after that is still baffling to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyXxfsM_tLU&hd=1 for a chunk of it including the piledriver in question

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
Tommaso Ciampa dropped Brian Cage on his head on the floor at BOLA a few years ago. Reseda went silent. I don’t know how (or why) he continued.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FunMerrania posted:

After watching Nightingale vs Chris Dickinson, how many more matches out there of Person vs Person they believe died early in the match and is now only running on left over brain cells powered by the electricity of the crowd?

Ones that come to mind like this was Ishii vs Micheal Elgin where Elgin gave Ishii a razor's edge off the top rope directly onto his neck and head and looked visibly spooked when Ishii was still wrestling as normal like nothing happened.
Undertaker, Mankind HITC I guess qualifies.

There was aTLC match where Bubba Ray Dudley got so knocked for a loop, that the others had to walk him through it for the rest of the match.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There was a match in WCW with Goldberg vs Kronik where Goldberg went for the spear into the corner and ended up ramming the top of his head directly into the ring post.

And the supposed veterans of Kronik just stand around looking dumb while Goldberg is dazed and trying to get back up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

There was aTLC match where Bubba Ray Dudley got so knocked for a loop, that the others had to walk him through it for the rest of the match.

He also kept asking why he couldn't find his mom afterwards, because she was supposed to meet up with him.

Edge and Christian had to find a nice way to explain his mom had passed away a few years back.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

fadmonkey posted:

Tommaso Ciampa dropped Brian Cage on his head on the floor at BOLA a few years ago. Reseda went silent. I don’t know how (or why) he continued.

Didn't Cage get a decent sized gash on his head from it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also kept asking why he couldn't find his mom afterwards, because she was supposed to meet up with him.

Edge and Christian had to find a nice way to explain his mom had passed away a few years back.

He also had to be talked through how to actually climb a ladder, in the middle of a ladder match.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Mean Gene somehow own the rights to certain aspects of his performance when he went from WWF to WCW?
I’m specifically referring to the “podium in the crowd” interviews that WWF completely stopped and WCW started with when Okerlund jumped.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it was more likely wcw just trying to do interviews with their own production style.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did Mean Gene somehow own the rights to certain aspects of his performance when he went from WWF to WCW?
I’m specifically referring to the “podium in the crowd” interviews that WWF completely stopped and WCW started with when Okerlund jumped.

I liked those interviews.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is Filthy a good worker? I’ve seen maybe two of his MMA fights but in terms of pro wrestling I’ve only seen him in gifs taking a superkick from Chico and a shoot powerbomb from Shamrock

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

Is Filthy a good worker? I’ve seen maybe two of his MMA fights but in terms of pro wrestling I’ve only seen him in gifs taking a superkick from Chico and a shoot powerbomb from Shamrock

I think he kind of sucks. His strikes look really awkward and his transitions are no good. He has charisma, and he's very new to this, but he just can't hang with most of the indie guys I've seen him with. He probably would have been fine as an NXT system guy.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Yeah I agree with MRT for the most part, I dont think he sucks though. He's definitely not a natural like Riddle was, but his character work is A+ and really carries him through matches he might otherwise flounder in

I think he'll get a lot better if he sticks with it

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Yeah its a tough spot to be in following in Riddle's footsteps because he was an absolute natural and looked good in the ring after just a year of training/matches. Filthy Tom is still probably better than Stephan Bonner at this point

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've seen him live and he's got a charisma to him that doesn't translate well to video. He brings a lot of personality and character energy that lets him work the crowd. His strikes do suck but his grappling and wrestling are solid.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
that Low Ki/Lawlor cage match that just happened in MLW was a fuckin' stinker though, holy poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TTBF posted:

I've seen him live and he's got a charisma to him that doesn't translate well to video. He brings a lot of personality and character energy that lets him work the crowd. His strikes do suck but his grappling and wrestling are solid.

I saw him live in MLW and while a lot of the match was overbooking I thought he looked really bad in the match. He bored me in Beyond teaming with Riddle against Gage and Tremont too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Yeah its a tough spot to be in following in Riddle's footsteps because he was an absolute natural and looked good in the ring after just a year of training/matches. Filthy Tom is still probably better than Stephan Bonner at this point

Riddle and Baszler both, really. They're both really, really good for their level of experience and starting pretty late (very late in Shayna's case)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Gaz-L posted:

Riddle and Baszler both, really. They're both really, really good for their level of experience and starting pretty late (very late in Shayna's case)

Wasn’t Baszler working the indies for a bit before the whole 4 horsewomen thing that kicked off on TUF?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

She's been wrestling since 2015, which was right after she got released from UFC. Almost exactly as long as Riddle has been, actually. Filthy Tom's actually been at it the longest, he's the one who had done a couple years on the indies before MMA.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was REALLY into Lawlor when he won the MLW Battle Riot Rumble Whatever but I've really cooled off on him since. I just watched Superfight and that match and his title win was kinda a dud. Some of that is I think MLW and them dragging out the match too long but some of it is I think that Lawlor impresses me less on his own then he did as part of the Team Filthy package. I dunno. I just know if you had asked me 6 months ago I would have said Lawlor was one of the guys I was most interested in in wrestling and now I'm very meh.

But yeah, maybe its a learning curve with him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Draxion posted:

She's been wrestling since 2015, which was right after she got released from UFC. Almost exactly as long as Riddle has been, actually. Filthy Tom's actually been at it the longest, he's the one who had done a couple years on the indies before MMA.

Yeah, I think the confusion might be that Shayna was the pre-existing fan in the 4HW group that kind of started the whole thing by basically getting her girlfriends together to watch old JCP stuff and deciding they should take a drunk selfie as the Four Horsemen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm really, really glad Shayna made it to NXT. She's such a great natural heel and a perfect foil to the likes of Kairi Sane.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
really think shayna could have been an undisputed all time great if she just did wrestling from a younger age instead of mma

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really, really glad Shayna made it to NXT. She's such a great natural heel and a perfect foil to the likes of Kairi Sane.

There was like an 18 month or so period (I remember it that way don't look it up lol) where WWE hemmed and hawed about signing her - which is really loving stupid when you think about it on many levels.

She was at the Performance Center a lot as people like Nattie would invite her. The NXT roster liked her. Indie wrestlers and promoters gave her high marks. She was this MMA fighter that was more of a Pro Wrestler than actual Pro Wrestlers. The way she carried herself, knew old school Wrestling etiquette etc. Female wrestlers liked hanging around with her in the US and in Japan in bars and stuff as no one was going to harass them with Shayna around in between how she's built, carries herself and the glare she has.

It is under talked about and isn't part of her narrative as it would make her sympathetic and she's a pure on-screen heel but WWE really wasted a lot of time being indecisive and adhering to an arbitrary rule from a begone (Divas) era. Luckily she isn't injury prone, age isn't catching up with her and she works a relatively conservative style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Shayna as another Minoru Suzuki-type would be a hell of a thing to see and I hope we do get that.