Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

axelblaze posted:

I think with Spielberg I tend to forget just how many studios he has some stakes in. Most directors tend to not give a poo poo when it comes to putting any sort of line between streaming movies and theatrically released ones so yeah it sucks Spielberg would be one of the few that's really lovely about it.

I think FoldableHuman on twitter pointed out that it's kind of exactly like Netflix's board sharing a few members with the RED board, and the coincidence that Netflix Originals are required to be shot of RED cameras. It's Spielberg ranting that someone's making a competing exclusive trough to have snouts in.

Also at the risk of breaching the Snyderdome, can anyone think of cinematic adaptations that totally miss/wilfully wrongly interpret the source materials' authorial intent? I'm writing an essay and currently considering Watchmen, The Killing Joke and either Jurassic Park or maybe Fear and Loathing (which I feel are stretches, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I, Butthole posted:

I think FoldableHuman on twitter pointed out that it's kind of exactly like Netflix's board sharing a few members with the RED board, and the coincidence that Netflix Originals are required to be shot of RED cameras. It's Spielberg ranting that someone's making a competing exclusive trough to have snouts in.

Also at the risk of breaching the Snyderdome, can anyone think of cinematic adaptations that totally miss/wilfully wrongly interpret the source materials' authorial intent? I'm writing an essay and currently considering Watchmen, The Killing Joke and either Jurassic Park or maybe Fear and Loathing (which I feel are stretches, really.

Starship Troopers, duh

Also the Reefer Madness musical

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Selma Blair's still acting, though? Like, she has MS, but it's not severe enough that she's bedridden, she just needs an assistant for getting into her costumes and such.

It wasn't an incredibly physical role she had, so she'd probably be A-OK to come back.

She can barely talk and walks with a cane.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

axelblaze posted:

Starship Troopers

Oh fuuuuuuuuckyeahhhh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

banned from Starbucks posted:

She can barely talk and walks with a cane.

Goddamn. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJOqH5BR3E

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I also think on a movie like Hellboy even what appears to be a role that requires little physical work would still be exhausting as gently caress.

Honestly that's kind of true of any movie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Yeah this is rough.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

I have no idea why they didn't just make Hellboy 3 and keep Del Toro's crew. And added Mila.

The Golden Army under-performed, and Del Toro and Mignola had a falling-out after the movie was done.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Hellboy 2 looked as expensive as it looked if not more so and really did not do very well at all. It was also before MCU really exploded so studios would be far more likely to drop a comic book movie the second it didn't perform.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hellboy 2 flopping was the first sign of what a hosed up timeline we're in

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I could have done with the MIB-esque headquarters but otherwise Hellboy 2 looked pretty great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For me it was like a lot of Del Toro movies, visually gorgeous and full of imagination with a script that feel like it was written up after all the creature design was finished.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Del Toro is the only person who could get away with it. He puts enough personality into everything so it never feels boring to me.

I’ll go to bad hard for Pacific Rim. loving love that movie and everything about it. Even Charlie Hunnam.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel the opposite. I respect him and what he's passionate about but it's just not enough to make me like a movie of his and with a good amount of his movies that's about all you get.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

precision posted:

Didn't it come out like a week or two before the Dark Knight too? I remember being really mad that they scheduled it too close to another movie that was clearly going to smash the box office, so HB2 never really stood a chance.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

axelblaze posted:

Yeah Hellboy 2 looked as expensive as it looked if not more so

Pardon?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I meant to say Hellboy 2 was expensive to make as it looked

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit nm. Iron man was May

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

precision posted:

This but Mystery Men. If that had taken off we could have gotten a Flaming Carrot movie. And then the comic book "cinematic universe" or whatever would be stuff like Madman and Concrete instead of a collection of fascist Ken dolls all rehashing the same plots.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You would not have gotten any of that

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

You would not have gotten any of that

JUST LET ME HAVE THIS, YOU MONSTER.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
We'd have 35 Dane Cook Waffleman movies by now

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

We'd have 35 Dane Cook Waffleman movies by now

You're still thinking of what happens when Mystery Men becomes a hit in the evil alternate Earth that we live on. On the good Earth he never became any more famous than that three second bit part.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'd be down for a Flaming Carrot movie like yesterday.

Also if we're saying weird 90s indie comic movies that will never exist, I'd take a Milk and Cheese movie too.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Where The Buffalo Roam, speaking of Thompson and Acosta.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

axelblaze posted:

I'd be down for a Flaming Carrot movie like yesterday.

Also if we're saying weird 90s indie comic movies that will never exist, I'd take a Milk and Cheese movie too.

That was the original intention for Mystery Men but then they realized that would be too weird so they didn't use him and substituted in the character played by Greg Kinnear, who was created for the movie. Paul Chadwick tried for years to get a Concrete movie to happen and Robert Rodriguez expressed interest in Mad Man for years and if I recall correctly wanted Elijah Wood to play him. It's a whole world of almosts.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Serious question for anyone who has any idea what I'm talking about: who would would you cast to play Milk and Cheese?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

axelblaze posted:

Serious question for anyone who has any idea what I'm talking about : who would would you cast to play Milk and Cheese?

Henry Cavill and Chris Hemsworth.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Oddly, I've not read that one. I did meet Evan Dorkin at a comic con and we talked about how the characters in the Eltingville Club are painfully accurate to actual comic book guys. God that is hard to read when you've spent a lot of time in comic book stores.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not even sure I can recommend Milk and Cheese and don't know how it would reason now but I enjoyed it and I want a movie because there would he no way to make a movie out of that.

Also I'd cast Danny Devito and Armie Hammer

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Give me all the weird comic movies

Give me Flaming Carrot, Ambush Bug

Give me a loving live action Avatar scale ElfQuest movie starring Jake Gyllenhal as Skywise and Mahershala Ali as Rayek

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

This but Mystery Men. If that had taken off we could have gotten a Flaming Carrot movie. And then the comic book "cinematic universe" or whatever would be stuff like Madman and Concrete instead of a collection of fascist Ken dolls all rehashing the same plots.

I'd love if Mystery Men led to a golden age of indie superhero movies but X-Men came out the year after so the franchise boom would have been happening regardless.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 2, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I Before E posted:

I'd love if Mystery Men led to a golden age of midbudget indie superhero movies but X-Men came out the year after so the franchise boom would have been happening regardless.

Speaking of, I just rewatched the Rogue Cut of Days of Future Past and lol at calling it the Rogue Cut. Lady has four lines total and only shows up in the last third of the movie to do one thing that was quite easily omitted from the theatrical cut.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Prime era De Palma directing an R-rated Marshal Law adaptation, please.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Del Toro and Perlman did pitch a Hellboy 3 about 12-18 months ago, but I guess the studio would rather reboot it than carry on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

Give me all the weird comic movies

Give me Flaming Carrot, Ambush Bug

Give me a loving live action Avatar scale ElfQuest movie starring Jake Gyllenhal as Skywise and Mahershala Ali as Rayek

It's too bad that Goon movie is almost certainly never happening. loving David Fincher wanted to direct and they still couldn't make that happen.

I Before E posted:

I'd love if Mystery Men led to a golden age of indie superhero movies but X-Men came out the year after so the franchise boom would have been happening regardless.

I never thought about this. That's pretty crazy when you think about it.

At least they did another Judge Dredd movie that was actually good this time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"There were always two Dredds. There must always be two Dredds."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ah great turns out Terry Crews is garbage.

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1101901233000837121

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Wait...what happened now?