Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Okay, so you posted this similar thing to everyone in DnD who makes a fork or leg shaving joke right?

Pretty sure when people refer to these two incidents, they're in the context of, "Klobuchar's an abusive weirdo that nobody should ever vote for; what a monster."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Z. Autobahn posted:

Harris' only credible path to victory is basically a redux of how Hillary won the nomination in 2016: Southern black voters, party loyalists, and college-educated suburban women. That means her state margins should look like Hillary's if she wants to win. Iowa and New Hampshire don't totally fit the strategy, which is why Hillary tied Bernie in one and lost to him in the other. But Hillary won SC with 73% of the vote. If Harris isn't performing there, it's a sign the strategy's not working and she's not gonna make it.

That’s not necessarily true. It’s not only unlikely anyone will get 73 percent anywhere, field this crowded. Obviously it’s better to win than not win any given primary but steady delegate/plurality vote performance overall can matter a lot more.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Pretty sure when people refer to these two incidents, they're in the context of, "Klobuchar's an abusive weirdo that nobody should ever vote for; what a monster."

Abusing employees isn’t a joke, Majorian :colbert:

But seriously, this reeks of the old “No see that rape reference my friends light-heartedly made was actually about how rape is bad you guys” excuse. If you’re that dead set against it, have the moral courage to call it out consistent in-thread. Otherwise it’s just cheap shot white noise.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 2, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yronic heroism posted:

That’s not necessarily true. It’s not only unlikely anyone will get 73 percent anywhere, field this crowded. Obviously it’s better to win than not win any given primary but steady delegate/plurality vote performance overall can matter a lot more.

the field won't be nearly this crowded by the time actual voting begins, let alone the south carolina primary

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the field won't be nearly this crowded by the time actual voting begins, let alone the south carolina primary

8 down from 16 will still be pretty crowded.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Joe Biden is going to win and I'm sad.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yronic heroism posted:

8 down from 16 will still be pretty crowded.

it's not gonna be 8 candidates by then either

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Abusing employees isn’t a joke, Majorian :colbert:

I think you need to get a better handle on what a "joke" is, duder.

quote:

But seriously, this reeks of the old “No see that rape reference my friends light-heartedly made was actually about how rape is bad you guys” excuse. If you’re that dead set against it, have the moral courage to call it out consistent in-thread. Otherwise it’s just cheap shot white noise.

Uh huh, now, do you have any specific examples, or are you just talking out of your rear end as per usual?

Also glad to see you're finally admitting that Klobuchar's a monster.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

yronic heroism posted:

She doesn't need to win by 73%, but she needs to do a whole lot better than 9

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Uh huh, now, do you have any specific examples, or are you just talking out of your rear end as per usual?

For specific examples, see past couple weeks of this thread. You just defended them as not jokes for some reason, because it would be uncomfortable for you to admit they were jokes. Like say, when you said this is now “heavenworld” a page or two back.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Joe Biden is going to win and I'm sad.

Super unlikely. And I think in his heart of hearts he knows that, which is why he hasn't announced yet.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

On one hand, I dont think Biden is going to win. On the other, "Biden is going to flame out any day now" says increasingly nervous dem voter for the 7th time this year

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

On one hand, I dont think Biden is going to win. On the other, "Biden is going to flame out any day now" says increasingly nervous dem voter for the 7th time this year

tbh this is where I'm at right now too

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

I'll be nervous if his approval ratings remain high after he announces and starts getting attacked for his horrible record. For now, I like Bernie's chances.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's pretty hard to flame out when you're not even running yet.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Majorian posted:

I'll be nervous if his approval ratings remain high after he announces and starts getting attacked for his horrible record. For now, I like Bernie's chances.

IMO a 2-way race with a win over Biden is the best possible scenario for Bernie, but a loss to him is probably the worst outcome for all of us

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Majorian posted:

Yeah, same really. Just always got that hellworld thought at the back of my mind after the 2016 dem primary and subsequent general election.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's obnoxious that biden sat out 2016 even though he would've won and then is gonna throw a wrench in bernie's smooth path to the presidency.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's obnoxious that biden sat out 2016 even though he would've won and then is gonna throw a wrench in bernie's smooth path to the presidency.

He sat out because his son died.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Majorian posted:

Super unlikely. And I think in his heart of hearts he knows that, which is why he hasn't announced yet.

What new information is going to come out against Biden? It's going to be Hillary all over again as every career Dem lines up behind Mr Inevitable

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

What new information is going to come out against Biden? It's going to be Hillary all over again as every career Dem lines up behind Mr Inevitable

Thus far the career Dems have been lining up behind Harris, though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I think Booker actually has the most endorsements right now but they're mostly New Jersey politicians/party operatives.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

I know conventional wisdom around here is that Obama was a terrible failure and a horrible person, but in the real world he’s an extremely popular ex-president (especially among Democrats), and Biden is going to get far on that goodwill if he decides to run.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Z. Autobahn posted:

Thus far the career Dems have been lining up behind Harris, though.

Did they sign a blood oath that will activate an ancient curse if they dare waiver in their support for the 9% candidate?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Did they sign a blood oath that will activate an ancient curse if they dare waiver in their support for the 9% candidate?

Sure, they can absolutely change. It's just a notable difference from 2016, which is the comparison you were making. A situation where the establishment support is in flux or spread among several different candidate is fundamentally different from the Anointed One campaign of 2016.

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

I know conventional wisdom around here is that Obama was a terrible failure and a horrible person, but in the real world he’s an extremely popular ex-president (especially among Democrats), and Biden is going to get far on that goodwill if he decides to run.

If Obama was running again, he'd win effortlessly, but it's far from given that "appeal by proxy" is going to be a meaningful phenomenon. One problem with being a popular politician whose popularity stems 100% from personal appeal is that he has very short coattails; see Hillary losing the general because Obama supporters stayed home, or the massive loss of seats under Obama.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

First four primaries are Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, then South Carolina. Iowa tends to be a free-for-all, and Bernie's got a strong edge in New Hampshire. If she doesn't win South Carolina then she's fallen pretty far behind, especially narratively speaking, and will have to make up a *lot* of room coming from behind on Super Tuesday.

Winning South Carolina gives her a lot more publicity and buzz going into Super Tuesday the following week.

Oh god she's going to be Rubio isn't she? Even including the media saying "All these second and third place victories show a strong momentum for Harris, all she needs to do now is actually win some states and she's got it locked down!"

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Oh god she's going to be Rubio isn't she? Even including the media saying "All these second and third place victories show a strong momentum for Harris, all she needs to do now is actually win some states and she's got it locked down!"

tbh I had Beto as the Rubio of this cycle...

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

this doesn't really apply until Biden actual enters the race/starts winning contests

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Okay, so you posted this similar thing to everyone in DnD who makes a fork or leg shaving joke right? Or do you just have an obsession with posters who’ve got you on ignore (which sadly doesn’t work on the submit reply screen)?

i'm not omnipresent yronic. get over yourself and get over your victim complex. your "joke" was lovely

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

this is exactly why i'm so worried. i don't know if i'd use the term "real world" since it's a fantastical view of him.

related: don't a majority of dems have a positive view of bush now?

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 2, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

this doesn't really apply until Biden actual enters the race/starts winning contests

Seriously what a loving insane world we're in where we've forgotten that JEB! was the frontrunner in the GOP up until people actually got to know him.

People don't actually vote for a guy because he's close to a guy they like.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

i'm not omnipresent yronic.

Got it, you’re not omnipresent. Except when it’s to go after your “posting enemies” over every perceived call-out opportunity. Cuz if I look up your posts in this thread its a hell of a lot containing “yronic.”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Biden, Harris, and Sanders each have an approximately 30% chance of winning at this point. Predicting anything with certainty is 2/3 of the time gonna be wrong here.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1101922404132098053?s=21

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

You know, I'm starting to agree. The field is getting more and more crowded and especially with Bernie in, all the oxygen is being sucked out of the room. And Biden isn't helping his case with all the "You know, <insert prominent Republican here> is p. cool guys no really wait where are you going come back"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Got it, you’re not omnipresent. Except when it’s to go after your “posting enemies” over every perceived call-out opportunity. Cuz if I look up your posts in this thread its a hell of a lot containing “yronic.”

seriously yronic, get over yourself. or maybe get mental help, cause you might literally be suffering from paranoid delusions. I am not trailing you, making sure I can own you at every chance.

you made a lovely post, others started saying it was poo poo, I agreed and said that it wasn't a joking matter, and now you're trying to pretend that I shadow your every move cause your ego is so bruised cause you got called out

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

The "new information" is the stuff we've been talking about throughout the thread, which is old news but stuff that most of the public doesn't really know about yet. His treatment of Anita Hill, his opposition to school integration, and his authoring of the foreclosure bill are not going to go over well with the Democratic primary voters once his opponents remind them of those issues. Biden's not going to be "Mr. Inevitable" to the degree Hillary was, since the media and the party elites touted her as Obama's inevitable successor from basically the moment he took office. She's been openly preparing to run for president for decades. While Biden's run a couple of times, he doesn't have anywhere near the level of "inevitability" or unified party support that Clinton had at this point in the race.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You know, I'm starting to agree. The field is getting more and more crowded and especially with Bernie in, all the oxygen is being sucked out of the room. And Biden isn't helping his case with all the "You know, <insert prominent Republican here> is p. cool guys no really wait where are you going come back"

Right? If I didn't know better, I'd say he's trying to sabotage any chance he has of winning before he even starts. (disclaimer: I don't actually believe this, it's just fun to armchair psychoanalyze)

:perfect:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 3, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yronic heroism posted:

literally no one gives a poo poo about you itt

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And yet in the 90s Warren choose to side with Pence because Republicans were more pro-market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Majorian posted:

Right? If I didn't know better, I'd say he's trying to sabotage any chance he has of winning before he even starts. (disclaimer: I don't actually believe this, it's just fun to armchair psychoanalyze)

Seems to me like he's trying to position himself as the uber-centrist of the lot which #NeverTrumpers can back up without fear. I'd wager he's pretty much banking it all on the "why can't the clock turn back before this all started" and using his association with Obama as a comfort blanket. Which :laffo: if that turns out to be a winning strategy.