Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CapnAndy posted:

Really? Is it bad everywhere? Apart from the chestplate and left shoulder I didn't think I'd lost any detail anywhere. What am I not seeing?

It's not so much that you're losing detail as that you can see a lot of brushstroke texture, and I think that's exacerbating the effect of there being too much wash on the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

CapnAndy posted:

Really? Is it bad everywhere? Apart from the chestplate and left shoulder I didn't think I'd lost any detail anywhere. What am I not seeing?

Yeah so if you look at a lot of the smooth parts of the model such as the helmet and shin guards you might be able to tell that there's a sort of bumpy texture to it. Part of it might be a trick of the way that the ink stained the model, but at a glance the paint does appear to be a little thick. Another more subtle way to tell is the slightly blunted look of a lot of the sharp edges such as the gorget.

You definitely didn't lose detail really, but if your paints were applied a little thinner then they would pop more.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
No, I definitely noticed the bumpy texture too pre-wash, that was there. Okay, so not thin enough, good to know.

I think his buddies are screwed too though, I’ve been painting them in bits and pieces already so they got the thick coats as well.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

CapnAndy posted:

No, I definitely noticed the bumpy texture too pre-wash, that was there. Okay, so not thin enough, good to know.

I think his buddies are screwed too though, I’ve been painting them in bits and pieces already so they got the thick coats as well.

Rather than try and say "oh, thin it to skim milk consistency" or something equally ambiguous, check this video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWgsqSf74s

If you have one of those cheap-o circular white well palettes (these guys: https://i.imgur.com/zVVA78k.jpg) you can get from Walmart for about 50 cents, you want to be able to take a loaded brush, drag it on the edge of one of the little wells (like you'd drag your shoe on some sort of an edge to clean it of snow, or dog poo poo, or whatever), and have the paint run off and slowly drip back down into the well. If it doesn't flow and stays where you dragged your brush, it's too thick, add water; if it rolls right back into the middle like it's just water, it's too thin, add paint.

If you want easy-mode pre-thinned paint, pick up stuff that's already formulated for airbrushes. You don't have to worry about thinning to the right consistency, and they're just as usable with normal brushes as they are for airbrushes. If you have the cash to burn, go with the Citadel line, as those will be 1:1 matches with colors you may already be using. Personally, I try and find a Vallejo facsimile, because you get a little more paint for your money, and they're in dropper bottles. Only thing is, it's very easy to be over-reliant on the pre-thinned stuff, and you don't learn how to properly thin your paints, so do be careful you don't pick up bad habits.

BoneMonkey posted:

Anyone got any ideas for a name for the chapter? I'm terrible at names.

The Burning Hate

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 2, 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hands of Viduus (the Roman god who separated the soul from the body upon death)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Isopropyl alcohol. Shouldn't hurt the resin, but I guess test it if you can.

It absolutely will. Do not dunk resin in IPA.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I'm starting to make my first real attempt at using green stuff for an AoS army. I'm pretty chuffed by the results, but I'd love any feedback. I've managed to get fingerprints on the eyes, but I figure I'll let it cure then just file or carve it smooth.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I'm starting to make my first real attempt at using green stuff for an AoS army. I'm pretty chuffed by the results, but I'd love any feedback. I've managed to get fingerprints on the eyes, but I figure I'll let it cure then just file or carve it smooth.

Thats amazing! how did you make them tentacles?

I got a cheap light box off amazon. Yay for none lovely pictures!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Both the tentacles and the spaceman look great! BoneMonkey could you link to the amazon light box, please?

I've messed up the Nurgle CW trying to make it more gross. I've tried going for some kind of organic growth/caked mud/modly stuff and I like the texture of it, but I'm not sure how to paint it up. I've added some light dots to simulate mold/maggots but it's a bit weird...I guess not all experiments turn out a success :v:

I'll probably go for some kind of sewed-up human skin patchwork for the mantle to tie up the Nurgle theme and to experiment with different skin tones.

EDIT: also thanks Bulbasaur for the hints! I'll try paiting my next model with a stronger transition instead of just leaving the undertone showing in the recesses.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 2, 2019

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

sure, here you go :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078GY78H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Thanks! I was looking for "modeling photo booth" and I was unable to turn out anything like this before. Should arrive Tuesday :)

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

BoneMonkey posted:

That is some super crisp grey and I'm in love with your colour scheme.

The tentacles are greenstuff rolled around some thin wire and twisted into shape. Once it dried, little blobs of GS were put along the bottom of each, and indented with the other end of a drill bit. Super simple, but I think it looks pretty effective :D

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

They look dope as hell and now I want to buy some green stuff.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BoneMonkey posted:

I was trying to figure out why this thing looks so drat good -- I mean, obviously the fantastic painting is a big part of it -- but I just realized he's not wearing a backpack. Never liked them on Space Marines, honestly. Looks so good without one.

Also this made me finally order a small light booth. I couldn't find the one you linked on US Amazon (or maybe it was unavailable, I forgot already) so I picked up this one. I'm excited and want to do some painting, now :)

That Italian Guy posted:

I've messed up the Nurgle CW trying to make it more gross. I've tried going for some kind of organic growth/caked mud/modly stuff and I like the texture of it, but I'm not sure how to paint it up. I've added some light dots to simulate mold/maggots but it's a bit weird...I guess not all experiments turn out a success :v:

I like it as is :shrug: Maybe some light orange highlights to make the shield-rot pop more but I'm not sure.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That's the one I use as well. It's great.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just sat down to prime some stuff after moving house and I realised I totally forgot which needle I had in. Pretty sure I had the wrong size nozzle too :downs: That was a fun 10 minutes figuring out which one went with which.

Priming went better than usual and I put it down to having the right pressure.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

I did another thing for my little Warhound.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That's super cool :popeye:

I've finished the Nurgle CW, pics situation should improve once the light box arrives. Still getting the hang of the AP kit; one of my favorite colors was GW Nurgling Green and I'm still not used to the way AP Necrotic Flesh behaves compared to it - it covers less and it feels more "slippery" in general.
Anyway, here's the pictures:

I'm happy at how the patchwork cape turned out; I've tried adding some orange to the shield but I was unable to make it blend with the rest of the colors, so I've covered most of it in the end. Also that mold line on the glove/axe is horrible, but I didn't notice it until it was too late.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
How easy are the Dark Imperium Intercessors and Hellblasters to paint fully assembled? I left the arms off them but I am considering just putting them together in full as long as I won't be frustrated painting them later.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Most of the Aquila is out of sight, when assembled.

Just paint the Aquila before the gun, and you should do fine.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The aquila can be kind of tricky to paint when they're assembled, so much so that I completely forgot to paint it on two of my models. It took me so long to notice it made me think maybe that old guy from Tabletop Minions isn't so crazy when he says he doesn't like to paint stuff no one will see.

But if that's unacceptable to you then probably paint it before you finish assembling.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's so easy to just pin all the arms and guns up on a piece of balsa wood I don't know why you wouldn't bother I paint helmets and backpack separately too, but that's more a personal thing

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just discovered one weird trick for mini photography. If you go into your camera and change the file type from .jpg to .png, and make the file size larger, the image will look better, whoulda thunk. For whatever reason I had never really looked at my camera app's settings before, if you haven't they're worth checking out.

.jpg picture from the oath thread:

new .png picture (which has been converted to jpg by imgur):

Not exactly the same shots but you get the idea.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fake James posted:

How easy are the Dark Imperium Intercessors and Hellblasters to paint fully assembled? I left the arms off them but I am considering just putting them together in full as long as I won't be frustrated painting them later.

I do all of my stuff in subassemblies. It's pretty easy.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
If your phone is extra fancy with an app like Open Camera you can even shoot RAW which gives a lot of adjustment importing into Photoshop.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I speedpainted some Hassassins to get through my Infinity backlog. Bases are still unfinished because I'm out of basing material at the moment.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

I just discovered one weird trick for mini photography. If you go into your camera and change the file type from .jpg to .png, and make the file size larger, the image will look better, whoulda thunk. For whatever reason I had never really looked at my camera app's settings before, if you haven't they're worth checking out.

.jpg picture from the oath thread:

new .png picture (which has been converted to jpg by imgur):

Not exactly the same shots but you get the idea.

That's a fantastic paint job.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cross posting from the 40K thread, since there doesn't seem to be too much action over there:

Professor Shark posted:

Would these top knots fit MkIII/IV/V Space Marines?

It says that they are designed for 32mm

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'm sure it's been asked before, but does anyone have a recommended Citadel paint pot holder? I am done with my "keep em in a tub" solution because a shade bottle opened up and that was a hot mess to deal with.

Thanks!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Quidthulhu posted:

I'm sure it's been asked before, but does anyone have a recommended Citadel paint pot holder? I am done with my "keep em in a tub" solution because a shade bottle opened up and that was a hot mess to deal with.

Thanks!

Dump them in squeeze bottles.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

Thanks!

There are different organizers you can buy that are laser cut acrylic or mdf, but I just use nail polish racks to keep things organized

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVN2KJH/

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

That's a good idea, but I was referring to containers for my paint containers, not containers for my paint. Sorry for the confusion, I'm talking like display holder!

e: like the above! Thanks!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Quidthulhu posted:

That's a good idea, but I was referring to containers for my paint containers, not containers for my paint. Sorry for the confusion, I'm talking like display holder!

I use one of those as well. They're great.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Quidthulhu posted:

I use a couple of these MDF ones from TTCombat, they're pretty decent: https://ttcombat.com/products/citadel-mega-paint-rack-60

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 3, 2019

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

If you wanna be super fancy and have access to a 3d printer, I've definitely seen quite a few different designs for a 3d-printed paint holder (though most are usually for just one pot at a time, to prevent spilling).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you're EU there is http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/ Got one of the bigger racks and its great.
Although I've now managed to fill it to the brim and in need of an expansion. :v:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Cooked Auto posted:

If you're EU there is http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/ Got one of the bigger racks and its great.
Although I've now managed to fill it to the brim and in need of an expansion. :v:

Or https://www.hobbyzone.biz/ for the US distributor.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Commission Ultramarines repulsor. gently caress repulsors. Miserable lovely model for modern GW.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
To add some low quality contrast (seriously everything in this thread is awesome), here's my second mini ever. Pretty happy with it, though I don't think the "skin" tone worked so great.. kind of went off the pic in the monster manual for colors - going to be used in a Curse of Strahd game. Still working on the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Aniodia posted:

If you wanna be super fancy and have access to a 3d printer, I've definitely seen quite a few different designs for a 3d-printed paint holder (though most are usually for just one pot at a time, to prevent spilling).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2467214